Trade week talk

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Trade week talk

So it's underway.

Heard them talking on the footy heads hour last night on SEN about talk of Armo to Essendon for Houli or Winderlich.

I'd do the deal on both,doubt we'd get Winderlich though

Bring back the Lockett era
saintlee
Club Player

Would like Houli, always rated him.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Armo signed a New 1 year deal recently (was offered 2). To me that suggests that he wants to get his body right and have a real crack in 2011 !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

Eastern wrote:Armo signed a New 1 year deal recently (was offered 2). To me that suggests that he wants to get his body right and have a real crack in 2011 !!
Contracts don't always mean a lot come trade time. :wink:

Also didn't like his 'I will take 1 year and see how many opportunities I get' line that he threw out at the GF Post Match Function. Why not take the 2 if he wants to have a real crack?

Fortius Quo Fidelius
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

saint75 wrote:
Eastern wrote:Armo signed a New 1 year deal recently (was offered 2). To me that suggests that he wants to get his body right and have a real crack in 2011 !!

Also didn't like his 'I will take 1 year and see how many opportunities I get' line that he threw out at the GF Post Match Function. Why not take the 2 if he wants to have a real crack?
If he has a breakout year in 2011 he can command a much higher salary at the end of it. I'd be thinking his salary for 2011 wouldn't be all that much (in footy terms) !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Armo would be a massive bonus for the bombers as he is a hard in and under player, in my opinion that is their most pressing need, too many outside mids no grunt players.

Would do a deal for Houli or Winderlich, but would hate to see Armo somewhere else.

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

I think there is 3 we should put up and see what is offered.

Armo- Go's now whilst he has some value. If we can get a quick for him take it. Essendon sounds like a possible club that we can do a win win trade with. They are in need of an in and under,they have a lot of run and carry players,maybe we can sort something out

Kosi- We either turn him into a full time 15 game a year ruckman for the next two years,or trade him. We won't get much for him,but potentially he might only have one year left,he's treading water at best

Gram- I am a Gram fan,but I think we take the punt on him if we can get a win/win trade,only trade if so. His body doesn't allow him to get the best out of himself. Over the past 6 seasons I reckon he's been fully fit for about 25% of it. He's getting older,there is no reason to suggest he is ever going to improve with his soft tissue issues....test the waters

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Re: Trade week talk

jonesy wrote:So it's underway.

Heard them talking on the footy heads hour last night on SEN about talk of Armo to Essendon for Houli or Winderlich.

I'd do the deal on both,doubt we'd get Winderlich though
id take houli for sure. hes a good player.

isnt winderlich a favourite son at the bombers? dont think hes going anywhere?

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

We have at least 12 players on the list I would get rid of before Armitage. And a lot of them played in the Grand Final.

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:We have at least 12 players on the list I would get rid of before Armitage. And a lot of them played in the Grand Final.
You have to be able to trade them though!

You think we'd get anything for Peake or Eddy?

You have to give to get

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

Eastern wrote:
saint75 wrote:

If he has a breakout year in 2011 he can command a much higher salary at the end of it. I'd be thinking his salary for 2011 wouldn't be all that much (in footy terms) !!
That is because he hasn't earned a decent salary yet. His performances have shown 'glimpses' of something, but not much else. If he really wanted to give it a shot, why not take the 2 years?

Still didn't like his comments much. Fair enough, looking after himself, but for a player that IMO hasn't 'made' it yet, being offered a 2 year deal is not such a bad thing.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

jonesy wrote:I think there is 3 we should put up and see what is offered.

Armo- Go's now whilst he has some value. If we can get a quick for him take it. Essendon sounds like a possible club that we can do a win win trade with. They are in need of an in and under,they have a lot of run and carry players,maybe we can sort something out

Kosi- We either turn him into a full time 15 game a year ruckman for the next two years,or trade him. We won't get much for him,but potentially he might only have one year left,he's treading water at best

Gram- I am a Gram fan,but I think we take the punt on him if we can get a win/win trade,only trade if so. His body doesn't allow him to get the best out of himself. Over the past 6 seasons I reckon he's been fully fit for about 25% of it. He's getting older,there is no reason to suggest he is ever going to improve with his soft tissue issues....test the waters
Totally agree. Especially on Gram. His rubbish disposal totally negates the positives that he provides when fit & he rarely kicks that long goal that he once did.

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

jonesy wrote:
borderbarry wrote:We have at least 12 players on the list I would get rid of before Armitage. And a lot of them played in the Grand Final.
You have to be able to trade them though!

You think we'd get anything for Peake or Eddy?

You have to give to get

I agree, no point saying we can trade to improve our problems as we wont get offered much for most of the players metioned. We are better of focusing on guys such as Stanley and Steven. to improve

I love this club
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

saint75 wrote:
Eastern wrote:
saint75 wrote:

That is because he hasn't earned a decent salary yet. His performances have shown 'glimpses' of something, but not much else. If he really wanted to give it a shot, why not take the 2 years?

Still didn't like his comments much. Fair enough, looking after himself, but for a player that IMO hasn't 'made' it yet, being offered a 2 year deal is not such a bad thing.
Nah, I don't have a problem with it.

What's he been here for now - 4 years?

If he has a real crack next year but can't edge out a couple of current regulars why would he want to keep going?

A lot of players would have asked to be traded now.

Therefore, IMO, I think the fact that he is prepared to give it another 12 months says a lot more than the fact he isn't prepared to give it 24 months.

spert
Saintsational Legend

One of the reasons we did so well in 2009, was Grams' attacking play from half back and pushing the ball into the forward line, one of our few attacking ball carriers, he gets injured, struggles this season to get over it and people want to trade him? He is a very effective player when fit and should be right with a good pre season. The spotlight needs to be on the obvious midfield and forward line issues as far as player trades go.

Dal_Santos_Gal
Saintsational Legend

So who is looking for a new club or to be put up for bait, These a a handful of names I can find so far, note some are highly rumored thou.

Brisbane
Brennan
Sherman
M Clark

Carlton
Walker
Grigg
Jacobs

Essendon
Winderlich
Houli

Fremantle
Tarrant
Mundy ???

Geelong
Gamble ????
Mackey ????

North Melb
Hale ????

Richmond
Tambling
Thursfield

West Coast
Matt Rosa
Kerr ??? (big rumor)

In Ross Get lost!

I am excited to stay at St Kilda and this is a great result for the Club and all our fans. I’m proud to be part of the Saints and am pleased to be playing football with the Clubâ€
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:One of the reasons we did so well in 2009, was Grams' attacking play from half back and pushing the ball into the forward line, one of our few attacking ball carriers, he gets injured, struggles this season to get over it and people want to trade him? He is a very effective player when fit and should be right with a good pre season. The spotlight needs to be on the obvious midfield and forward line issues as far as player trades go.
Exactly. We must remember that Gram has been playing injured all year pretty much. You'd reckon an off season will do him the world of good. Get himself right and there's no reason he can't be the '09 version again. People give up on players so easily.

Agree. A goalkicker is required along with mid-sized running mids.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I haven't given up on Gram, but if he is on the trade table, I'm going to have to get my head around the possibility that he may be going :(

eppo67
Club Player

Gram is still only 26. If the right deal comes for the club them they will have to what is best for 2011 St.kilda but l am a fan of Gram and don't want to see him go.

FQF
SS Life Member

Dal_Santos_Gal wrote:So who is looking for a new club or to be put up for bait, These a a handful of names I can find so far, note some are highly rumored thou.

Brisbane
Brennan
Sherman
M Clark

Carlton
Walker
Grigg
Jacobs

Essendon
Winderlich
Houli

Fremantle
Tarrant
Mundy ???

Geelong
Gamble ????
Mackey ????

North Melb
Hale ????

Richmond
Tambling
Thursfield

West Coast
Matt Rosa
Kerr ??? (big rumor)
If the Mackey rumour is true, I would take him in a heartbeat. Don't think we have much to offer them though.

Tambling has potential to be a useful player, but he goes missing more often than not.

Mundy has resigned now, so he won't be going anywhere.

Kerr would be an invaluable pick up. Has everything we need in terms of speed, and hard ball.

I would be hesitant in offloading Armo unless we had another suitable backup plan for Lenny.

Sherman's speed would be good.

But what we need most of all is not on that list. That is, a genuine full forward. Tommy Walsh seems our best bet...

A mid sized forward would also be helpful. If we had something to offer Melbourne, I think they have the most of this type of player than any team going around.
Dunn, Bate, Green, Pettard, Watts, Jurrah... and more

fingers
Saintsational Legend

Hird has come out and said Houli is a required player.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Tambling is a soft as it gets from what I have seen so please no! but Sherman is worth a look..we really need more forward options, and a full forward most definately too.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I have heard Alwyn Davey and leroy Jetta wanted to leave the bombers but Jetta is now expected to stay. I would be looking to fringe players that are in the same stage as Armo, nearly in the senior team but haven't got a break.

Otherwise you could sound out the Dees on guys like Green or Bruce who will not be around for the Dees next premiership.

Gram is a gun when fit. We need to keep our quality and add to our best 22 not start trading out the good players.

If you wanted to get rebuilding we might as well sell Roo at the top of his game and really start from scratch.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Djerkah or whatever, from Geelong, is looking for a new home.

#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

borderbarry wrote:Djerkah or whatever, from Geelong, is looking for a new home.
Going to the Dogs apparently.