Is it time to play Kosi Ruck or CHB!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saint58
Club Player

Is it time to play Kosi Ruck or CHB!

I think as Mark Mc maclure said Kosi is a straight line runner that being the case i think he should play at CHB it would allow him to not worry about where to lead busting open packs and where is Rooy.

As Chris Tarrent did at Fremantle went from a Forward to a FB and a very good one at that.I know kosi would have to worry about a opponant but i have seen enough in him when going back in games to know he is a lot more settled there and would give us a big marking defender.

He did play there early in his career and got the rising star award for the year he even beat johathan brown when he was up and and about.
As for the ruck well its option but dont know if he is strong enough to do it long term as a tall defender the rules help him with his size.

Lets face it he aint the sharpest tool in the shed make it simple get him back in the game what do we have to lose ha.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Bullwinkle: Hey Kosi, watch me pull a rabbit out of Centre Half Back

Kosi: Agaaaaaaain? That trick never works.

quidnunc
Club Player

With about a dozen goals in as many games, and basically as the main option with Nick's absence, I don't think he has set the world on fire as a forward.

And, as for busting packs and bringing the ball to the ground - the "Galloping Gasometer" - Mick Nolan could have done that!

For goodness sake, he can't be enjoying his role atm - give him a chance at CHB.

Was there on the outer wing as a youngster flying the flag in '66 - still loyal, still passionate!
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

the trouble with Kosi at CHB is that everyone remembers glowingly what he was like when he was a kid playing down there.
Back when he was agile, quick, could take a big pack mark consistently, and had second efforts. Now... players like Cloke, Pavlich and Franklin would have field days.
Lyon is never going to drop him, so I guess the only spot for him is back up ruck. And we have to get used to it.

Seeya
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Re: Is it time to play Kosi Ruck or CHB!

saint58 wrote:I think as Mark Mc maclure said Kosi is a straight line runner that being the case i think he should play at CHB
LOL...you do realise that this week that would mean him lining up on Franklin?

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

Re: Is it time to play Kosi Ruck or CHB!

saintsRrising wrote:
saint58 wrote:I think as Mark Mc maclure said Kosi is a straight line runner that being the case i think he should play at CHB
LOL...you do realise that this week that would mean him lining up on Franklin?
Might be the challenge he needs!

Then again it would be a huge risk given his efforts have been ordinary, his intensity appears average at best, almost seems to be spectating most of the time he is out there and so far this year he's done absolutely SFA!

Has he already signed for the GC?

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Kosi on his last chance this week.

Has not been dropped to Sandy for preservation of his confidence thus far...Ross cannot continue to shield him. Either a really good show against Hawks or into the Magoos.

Stanley to FF for the rest of the home and aways, give us 5 games to adjust to new structure...also Big Mac must come back.

Nee!
linz
Club Player

Kosi's had his chances. Might be time to try someone who tries harder.

I once spent a year in Adelaide, I think it was on a Sunday.
bozza1980
Club Player

He won't play centre half back.

Ruck might be an option but at the end of the day we need him to make a fist of full forward.

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friends.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I am obviously the only one who thought he did OK during his bursts in the ruck?

I'd personally like to see a combination of ruck and forward for Kosi continue, certainly needs to get his hands on the ball more of course, but he didn't disgrace himself in the hitouts....actually he manages to outruck the second ruckman in hitouts on most occasions, and on the weekend he was only 2 behind Gardiner.

He just needs to up his second efforts and tackling pressure, which should come, and it will work well.

My ideal would be Gardiner/Ben and Kosi to a lesser extent, rotating through the ruck and forward.

Saints94
SS Life Member

Chuck him down back, he played in the ruck on Saturday and did nothing, so chuck him down back or he is GONE!

saintlee
Club Player

Ruck or FF are Kosi's only options IMO.

Love him to find some form, but it looks a long way off at the moment.

Mooksy
Club Player

He CANNOT play back. Too slow and cumbersome. Too slow and cumbersome full stop!

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Kosi will play as a key forward with bursts on the ball.

This is his role.

FULL STOP

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:Kosi will play as a key forward with bursts on the ball.

This is his role.

FULL STOP
Yep fantasy land stuff if anyone thinks Kosi could play down back now and even if he did who gets dropped because we know none of the talls down back can play forward. Tried and failed.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

This is his role.

FULL STOP
Yep, and regardless of how huffy the ignorant supporters get - it seems he's doing exactly what Ross Lyon is asking him to do.

He's not struggling at all. He's performing his role, as per the directive from the bosses. If he wasn't, he wouldn't be playing.

He's not being asked to play the '3 Brownlow votes three weeks in a row' role he was being asked to play all those years ago.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:

This is his role.

FULL STOP
Yep, and regardless of how huffy the ignorant supporters get - it seems he's doing exactly what Ross Lyon is asking him to do.

He's not struggling at all. He's performing his role, as per the directive from the bosses. If he wasn't, he wouldn't be playing.

He's not being asked to play the '3 Brownlow votes three weeks in a row' role he was being asked to play all those years ago.
just because he isnt getting dropped doesnt mean he is doing exactly what RL wants him to do and you know it. Do you think RL actually says to him dont get 3 votes but just spoil and create contests. You know that wouldnt be true for any player.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
just because he isnt getting dropped doesnt mean he is doing exactly what RL wants him to do and you know it. Do you think RL actually says to him dont get 3 votes but just spoil and create contests. You know that wouldnt be true for any player.
I firmly believe that Lyon doesn't instruct players to 'go out and get 3 votes'.

I firmly believe that each player has a job, and some specifics that they need to focus on - moreso than has ever been seen in the AFL before.

Yes, I believe that Kosi is instructed to create contests, present to certain spaces on the ground, and create pressure in certain spaces on the ground.

The only thing that he isn't doing, that I assume he isn't being asked to do - is to fumble marks and kick straight.

Apart from that, I genuinely believe he is being asked to play the role that he playing, and I believe he is doing it well.

Otherwise, he wouldn't be playing.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
I firmly believe that Lyon doesn't instruct players to 'go out and get 3 votes'.

I firmly believe that each player has a job, and some specifics that they need to focus on - moreso than has ever been seen in the AFL before.

Yes, I believe that Kosi is instructed to create contests, present to certain spaces on the ground, and create pressure in certain spaces on the ground.

The only thing that he isn't doing, that I assume he isn't being asked to do - is to fumble marks and kick straight.

Apart from that, I genuinely believe he is being asked to play the role that he playing, and I believe he is doing it well.

Otherwise, he wouldn't be playing.
You can do things average or even poorly and still not get dropped. There has to be someone to come in to do that role better. I reckon RL would think Kosi cn play much better and a replacement wouldnt. That is why he is still in the side.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:

This is his role.

FULL STOP

Did not say that Kosi was not struggling. He needs to improve. However last week was his first back after injury.

If he plays like he did against the Pies..even allowing for the crap delivery... for the rest of the year then his position will be up for grabs.

Countering this.....Stanley is not yet ready....Ben also is not consistent as a FF and Patto is a maybe..
Last edited by saintsRrising on Wed 21 Jul 2010 8:50pm, edited 1 time in total.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

You can do things average or even poorly and still not get dropped. There has to be someone to come in to do that role better. I reckon RL would think Kosi cn play much better and a replacement wouldnt. That is why he is still in the side.
Exactly.

There would be no way that Ross would not be expecting and demanding more out of Kosi.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
You can do things average or even poorly and still not get dropped.
I don't agree.

Lyon will drop you if you don't do the things he wants. I believe each role/player has some things that will get them a game. And I believe that Kosi is doing these.

Surelt people can see that under Ross Lyon, we don't go out and play free flowing, instinctive, high scoring footy. We do the same, defensive things over and over again. Then when we get a sniff we score. It's exactly like Sydney used to be like.

I don't think Kosi is being asked to go out and play FF like everyone expects it to be played. I think he has some defensive goals and anything on top of that is a bonus. Lyon oftens talks about ignoring the scoreboard and focussing on the areas we want to focus on, then the scoreboard will take care of itself.

That's why I don't think he's been dropped - he's meeting his targets.

plugger66 wrote: There has to be someone to come in to do that role better. I reckon RL would think Kosi cn play much better and a replacement wouldnt. That is why he is still in the side.
But this has been going on since half way through last year though. I don't think this is a form slump for Kosi - this is what he's meant to be doing.

And, if you go back and look at last year when Kosi was 'solid', the only difference between now and then was holding a few extra grabs and kicking a bit straighter.

What he's doing now and what he was doing then is his role.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Exactly.

There would be no way that Ross would not be expecting and demanding more out of Kosi.
He dropped Dal and Milne without better replacements.

I believe that Lyon has some 'non-negotiables' which are defensive and running attributes. If you do these, you'll get a game.

If you don't, you'll get dropped.

I think the attacking things on top of these 'non-negotiables' are considered a bonus.
This is why some players who appear to have no upside whatsoever in the eyes of the average supporter play every week, and get rushed back in when they've been out through injury.

It's also why I made the comment/question earlier in the year in regards to matchwinners, and posed the question as to whether or not the ability to take a game by the scruff of the neck in an offensive sense had been coached out of some of our players.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
And, if you go back and look at last year when Kosi was 'solid', the only difference between now and then was holding a few extra grabs and kicking a bit straighter.

What he's doing now and what he was doing then is his role.
Essentially so....BUT those extra grabs and straighter kicking make the world of difference.

A 2 goal average s much better than 1 goal average.

Late in the Pies game Roo had the ball...looked up saw Kosi on the run and popped the ball over the pack for Kosi to take his trademark pack mark. Was perfectly set up but Kosi got no where near landing it. That is the problem at present...Kosi is not marking like he needs to.

now I am not saying that Kosi needs yo overcome all his flaws...that is not going to happen...not saying he needs to recapture his golden 5 games as that will most likely not happen either.

But yes he needs to just do that bit more...to takea few more grabs and to kick at goal like he used to.

Yes he splits packs and provides opportunities to others and this is part of his role..a big part. But we need some icing on the cake too. Or at least we do if we wanto to win the flag.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:

He dropped Dal and Milne without better replacements.

Yes he did for specific role reasons.

On this we agree. This is different that the current Kosi situation which is form and not role related.

I think we also agree that Kosi is "trying" to achieve the role that Lyon wants. Where I think we disagree is the level that Kosi is achieving at. IMO Lyon will want "more please".