Were we due for a loss?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Were we due for a loss?

7 straight wins. We can't win all the time. Perhaps this sort of loss isn't such a bad thing. Gives RL and coaching staff a good opportunity to reassess where we're at.

But most of all, Better to lose now than in September.

Let the Filth fans get hysterical about being on top of the ladder for the time being. Little do they know, it means nothing unless they win on the last Saturday of Septempber.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

Re: Were we due for a loss?

Sainternist wrote:7 straight wins. We can't win all the time. Perhaps this sort of loss isn't such a bad thing. Gives RL and coaching staff a good opportunity to reassess where we're at.

But most of all, Better to lose now than in September.

Let the Filth fans get hysterical about being on top of the ladder for the time being. Little do they know, it means nothing unless they win on the last Saturday of Septempber.
Hear!Hear!As always the voice of reason ..well said Mate .Keep the faith 8-)

Never take a backward step even to gain momentum.....

'It's OK to have the capabilities and abilities, but you've got to get it done." Terry Daniher 05

"We have beauty in our captain and we have a true leader in our coach. Our time will come"
Thinline.Post 09 Grand final.
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

As I have said in other posts whilst losing is never great this loss might just spark us

If we happen to come across the Filth in the finals the pressure and win expectations will now sit with them

With that loss today in a twisted kind of way I am actually more confident that we will spank them next time we play them - hopefully in the Prelim or the GF :twisted:

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
philtee
Club Player

When a try-hard like Leigh Brown has a day out and kicks 3 and marks everything, and when Dale Thomas
starts looking like he's the new Matera,
you know you're having a bad day.

Full credit to the Pies - forcing errors, clogging space, kicking straight.
They will not play any better this season.
And the Saints could not play any worse.
I await a September re-match.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

We were on 6 day break coming from Bribane versus their 7 day break plus. Add to that there was a flu running through the team hence we lacked intensity. No excuses, today was garbage. Lets see how they respond.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
GoTheTorp
Club Player

We were tired we had to play A level footy we might have had to play a granny we might have not, but we had to play eleite level footy in a home anfd away, ok wheres the exuse?

saint58
Club Player

No such thing as we were due for a loss that is rubbish.
We did not come to play and collingwood did.

This loss now puts us back with the pack breathing down our neck with Hawks gunning for us next week if we lose we are back to 5 i think a win against collingwood would have given us breathing space at the top of the ladder not now.

So no i dont think it is good to loose.

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

Well we won't be getting ahead of ourselves now.
And we won't be taking anyone for granted.
Finished last year a little too comfy perhaps?

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

The great Hawthorn teams of the 80s and early 90s used to throw in a bad one once every six weeks or so.

Some said it was Yabby pricking the bubble before it got too big.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Are we stepping up training at the moment? What they call load training I think we did it around this time last year . I know we looked sluggish yesterday and had the similar issues this time last year.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

CURLY wrote:Are we stepping up training at the moment? What they call load training I think we did it around this time last year . I know we looked sluggish yesterday and had the similar issues this time last year.

I hope we haven't started doing that already. We need to atleast have a top 4 spot secured. Whilst I'm sure we will finish top 4,things will be interesting if we lose to the hawks next week. It just keeps the door ajar for them.

35...LEGEND
Club Player

CURLY wrote:Are we stepping up training at the moment? What they call load training I think we did it around this time last year . I know we looked sluggish yesterday and had the similar issues this time last year.
I think we knocked off Geelong R 16 last year.

Maybe the loading has started a bit earlier this year..........either that or flu or something.

We ain't that bad.

Just get the feeling the training and resting of players before finals is going to be a little different this time around.

The Boss is up to something I reckon..........even in the Press conference (what i seen of it) he never looked that concerned IMO,just the usual calm Ross,no excuses,no panic in the voice etc.

When the Boss starts looking worried..................so will I.

Go SAINTS

battye
Saintsational Legend

philtee wrote:When a try-hard like Leigh Brown has a day out and kicks 3 and marks everything, and when Dale Thomas
starts looking like he's the new Matera,
you know you're having a bad day.

Full credit to the Pies - forcing errors, clogging space, kicking straight.
They will not play any better this season.
And the Saints could not play any worse.
I await a September re-match.
Yeah agreed, it's what I was thinking to myself as well. When Leigh Brown is slotting them from 50 on the boundary line you know the opposition has luck on their side.

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Losing sucks, and being St.Kilda supporters we should know that better than anyone.
There is no good loss, it doesn't exist.
One can only hope that maybe it was the kick up the backside we need, we'll know next Friday night because in my opinion, if we have premiership aspirations, we don't drop another game.
Incidently a bit of a history correction here, Collingwood thrashed Geelong in 2008. Geelong didn't lose another game until the Grand Final.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

35...LEGEND wrote:
I think we knocked off Geelong R 16 last year.

Maybe the loading has started a bit earlier this year..........either that or flu or something.

We ain't that bad.

Just get the feeling the training and resting of players before finals is going to be a little different this time around.

The Boss is up to something I reckon..........even in the Press conference (what i seen of it) he never looked that concerned IMO,just the usual calm Ross,no excuses,no panic in the voice etc.

When the Boss starts looking worried..................so will I.

Go SAINTS
Nah, we knocked Geelong off in round 14, and the week after they rested alot of good players, and lost to the Lions.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

a handle a loss, but not in the manner we went down to them yesterday.

Looked tired, slow and disinterested.

I'm hoping a virus through the players was the excuse/reason.

I will await Friday night's event's until passing full judgement...

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

Yep, I will also hang off making judgement till after next Fridays game, which I reckon will be a ripper.

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

It was a very dissapointing showing ,more of that and we have no hope,may not even make top 4.

I get the feeling we are far from done though. A lot are writing us off now,and that is great.
Gram and Roo are massively underdone,virtually playing at quarter final Nab Cup pace. Goddard was off the boil after missing the week before with a virus.
We didn't have Dal,our number one ball user.
Baker go's to Davis and makes him redundant as the little pony doesn't like an ounce pressure,yesterday he was given a free ride.

Collingwood kicked goals from the boundary...Leigh Brown? Macrapper gets leg breaks that go through for goals. Ours take leg breaks for points. We missed several sitters from set shots. If we kicked straight we wouldn't have won the game,but it would of been a 20 odd point loss,and with all the factors that are listed above ,it can all turn around very easily next time.

Not that we are out of the woods though. I think we might struggle again friday night. Hawthorn are rampant,we are at about 60%,I'd be ecstatic if we got away with a win......it would cement our spot as a major contender. If not,all is not lost. We finish top 4 and run into form in the last month then we are right in the mix. We just need to time our run,lets hope we can find saints footy at the right time..

Bring back the Lockett era
SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

saint58 wrote:No such thing as we were due for a loss that is rubbish.
We did not come to play and collingwood did.

This loss now puts us back with the pack breathing down our neck with Hawks gunning for us next week if we lose we are back to 5 i think a win against collingwood would have given us breathing space at the top of the ladder not now.

So no i dont think it is good to loose.
We are two wins clear of fifth spot, so if we lose to the Hawks, we'll still be in the top four.

That being said, we still need three more wins to make it a certainty and the Hawks clash is now a must win. This is a much needed scalp, for confidence, as well as making top four more of a certainty.

A thrashing, complemented by some of the most woeful kicking this group has ever dished out, sucks big time. But, one positive I will take is that all the attention is now on Collingwood and the pressure is now on them to deliver. They'll probably be flag favourites soon. Spoke to a few Pie supporters last night and as far as they were concerned, the flag is theirs.

They want the spotlight, as far as I'm concerned, they can have it.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

3rd generation saint wrote:Losing sucks, and being St.Kilda supporters we should know that better than anyone.
There is no good loss, it doesn't exist.
One can only hope that maybe it was the kick up the backside we need, we'll know next Friday night because in my opinion, if we have premiership aspirations, we don't drop another game.
Incidently a bit of a history correction here, Collingwood thrashed Geelong in 2008. Geelong didn't lose another game until the Grand Final.
I get what you're saying but Jesus I pray hsitory doesn't repeat if that's the case.

:?