Milne loses Goal of the Year?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

Milne Round 5 versus Franklin Round 13.

Forget about the quality of the actual goals -- a packed MCG Friday night game will beat a rainy, poorly attended Port Adelaide match in the buzz-stakes. Plus Buddy is more fashionable than the Tiprat. Sadly, I think Milne will miss out yet again ... and to think he probably deserves it for the goals against Fremantle and Richmond anyway.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

love milneys goals but honestly Buddys last night were awsome especially the last one where i took 3 bounces and ran to the boundry not away from it ...

let Buddy have the goal of the year for that effort Milney can console his loss of goal of the year with a premiership medal instead :wink:

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Beekay
SS Life Member

Buddy's two goals were mint, and no-one else could do that (Aker in his prime perhaps).. let alone at his height.

Deserves it.

AlpineStars
Club Player

It s***s me on SEN they were comparing Roo and Buddy (Dermot was obviously in) he's played 1 good game in 18 months.

Wake me up when September ends.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

AlpineStars wrote:It s***s me on SEN they were comparing Roo and Buddy (Dermot was obviously in) he's played 1 good game in 18 months.
Why can't they just talk about Buddy, his game, what was good about it, and leave the comparisons alone....it get's so boring.

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:love milneys goals but honestly Buddys last night were awsome especially the last one where i took 3 bounces and ran to the boundry not away from it ...

let Buddy have the goal of the year for that effort Milney can console his loss of goal of the year with a premiership medal instead :wink:
Just saw it again on Before the Game. Pretty special but yes, does not a premiership make. I like your way of thinking. :wink:

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
AlpineStars wrote:It s***s me on SEN they were comparing Roo and Buddy (Dermot was obviously in) he's played 1 good game in 18 months.
Why can't they just talk about Buddy, his game, what was good about it, and leave the comparisons alone....it get's so boring.
Agree. The media is notorious for forgetting their own stories.

Now it all about BJ. Jonathan Brown and Roo don't exist. After Round 3 the media was talking about Carey, Roo and Brown.

Voss was a genius, Richmond were never going to win a game. Hawthorn were pathetic. No Judd, no Carlton, then they are great. Knights is hopeless then he is good.

It would be good to keep a log on how many times the media have done 180's.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Milan Faletic wrote:
SainterK wrote:

Now it all about BJ. Jonathan Brown and Roo don't exist. After Round 3 the media was talking about Carey, Roo and Brown.

Voss was a genius, Richmond were never going to win a game. Hawthorn were pathetic. No Judd, no Carlton, then they are great. Knights is hopeless then he is good.

Don't you work in the media?

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
Milan Faletic wrote:
SainterK wrote:

Don't you work in the media?
I did but have changed jobs. Even so, I still stand by what I said.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Cant believe this cr@p - duddy does it once in a blue friggin moon....now hes the best there is....

“Yeah….nah””
Beej
Saintsational Legend

Am I the only one who unbiasedly believes Milne's goal is better?

We've all seen goals like Franklin's before, I don't ever remember a goal quite like Milne's.

St Michele
Club Player

Beej wrote:Am I the only one who unbiasedly believes Milne's goal is better?

We've all seen goals like Franklin's before, I don't ever remember a goal quite like Milne's.
No I am with you saw it on the news tonight, yep good goal but Milneys are much more exciting ( not that I am biased :-) )

Michele
Goals are dreams with deadlines!!
battye
Saintsational Legend

I believe Milne's goals were better (I'm including that one he dribbled through on the angle as well).

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Well I have never seen a goal like Buddy's before. Clearly goal of the year at the moment. Milne has probably got second and third at the moment.

Duggie
Club Player

Yes, reluctantly, Buddy for me given the pressure and the skill of the moment which obviously lifted his team to a win :lol:

A Saint Forever!
Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

If only Buddy had an athlete chasing him...

Beekay
SS Life Member

Got to take into consideration:
- The run and agility of Franklin for a big man
- The skill and confidence in going the drop punt from the boundary. Not just chipping or dribbling and hoping for the best. Kicking through the ball in style.
- The importance of the goals
- Did it twice
- The sheer arrogance and self belief in running towards the boundary line.
- 100% intent

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Beekay wrote:

- The skill and confidence in going the drop punt from the boundary. Not just chipping or dribbling and hoping for the best. Kicking through the ball in style.
- Did it twice
- 100% intent
Taking all that into account (apart from the importance of the goal, which doesn't have a bearing on GOTY, you'd suspect), Milney by a mile!

Beej
Saintsational Legend

Beekay wrote:

- Did it twice
- 100% intent
Franklin's goal was outstanding. Running at that pace, bouncing and kicking accurately from the boundary line should be extremely difficult for most, let alone somebody of Buddy's size. But he's a phenomenal athlete, it's not as if Sandilands kicked that. Running and bouncing should be difficult for Buddy, but it's not, he has the agility of a midfielder and midfielders kick those goals.

Therefore I don't feel that the size of the man should add to the level of difficulty in this case, because if it did, then Justin Madden kicking that goal where he took a couple of bounces and ran away from Shaun Rehn before kicking it from outside 50 would be the greatest goal of all time. I reckon it was more difficult for Madden, at 206 cms and the most uncoordinated footballer I've ever seen, to kick that goal than it was for Buddy.

For Milney to even think to attempt what he did was out of this world, let alone execute it.

In terms of the goal and the goal alone... the knack, quick thinking, ingenuity, understanding the shape of the ball and uniqueness of Milney's goal makes it better IMO.

starsign
Club Player

maybe but that one from a kick from mid air from the boundary was very very freaky

anyway there's another half to go if that's the case and our boy keeps producing them!

He just might eclipse the bloody lot on the last Sat in September by really pulling one out of the hat when it counts , to make up for last year !!

Lets hope so anyway and I'm sure he'd rather a premiership medallion round his neck more than the goal of the year!!

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

I couldnt poissibly care any less who wins bloody goal of the year lol! Big.deal.

Beej
Saintsational Legend

iwantmeseats wrote:I couldnt poissibly care any less who wins bloody goal of the year lol! Big.deal.
i don't think anyone really does to be honest.

this is now a discussion on whose goal we believe is better and why.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Buddy by a mile.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Buddy will get it cause of the hype for sure.

Havent seen Buddy for half a year so far - now Dermutt and Co on SEN have him as a better footballer than Riewoldt. :roll:

Just get sick and tired of one hit wonders and the media whores who jump on em quicker than a hooker at the Cross.

When Buddy produces - week in week out then Ill sit up. Sure he had a great 08 - after that???.....goes missing WAY to often for mine.

Motlops freaky too - he also does it once a year.......

Riewoldts consistency is that far undevalued its not funny.

“Yeah….nah””
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Nevermind Teflon, they will soon be reminded 8-)