Things learned in perth

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Things learned in perth

Considering the very hot condition the Saints did a magnificent job to beat Freo especially with only 21 fit men for most of the game. i have learned that BJ is a very good footballer and that questioned as last week who you would want out of BJ and Hodgey has only one answer. Both.
CJ did a great tagging job but must kick goals when it matters like it did yesterday in the last. Sam Gilbert could have been best on the ground apart from poor kicking

Kosi was good but with confidence would have taken at least 5 more marks. I have a feeling his confidence will return when number 12 does. On that our forward line just lacks on player and he isnt replaceable. We need to just wait for his return. As soon as our backs went back to the backline and BJ went basically into the middle of the ground we havent lost a game. Lesson learned. Great backs dont make forwards and great midfielders play in the midfield.

Milney had his best interstate game against a top side ever and was great to be at the ground to see it. Also you can win against top sides even if your best 6 players arent actually your best 6 players. Even contribution is the most important thing. Also our rucks are competitive but against a start like Sandilands they are only average. Luckily there is only one of them.

Finally I have learnt by watching TV that Geelong are just about the best home away side ever. We need to stop them this year becoming one of the best GF sides ever because there is no one else that can stop them.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Great post, do you mind if we add some?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Great post, do you mind if we add some?
Go for it. probably missed plenty as i had a few drinks with the western saints boys.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Good to hear some eye witness views and I agree there are only two teams that can win the big one this year. Geelong have improved and I believe we have as well, because we had to, without Riewoldt. I'm confident he'll be back stronger than ever and then it will be game on.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Go for it. probably missed plenty as i had a few drinks with the western saints boys.
So you're happy to meet up with the boys in the west but not the locals form here in your back dung heap???

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

One more thing that I didnt add that isnt a postive is I want to know how Peake could learn his footy without having any ability at all to kick on his left. Surely he is the worst wrong foot kick in the comp. Having said that he played quite well.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: Things learned in perth

what did you think of our forward efficiency?

we went inside fifty 16 more times than fremantle, yet won by only 18 points and the game wasn't ours until the last five minutes.

basically, we dominated, but couldn't put it on the board.

are we taking enough marks inside 50 and do you think we can kick a winning score against geelong?
Last edited by bigcarl on Mon 14 Jun 2010 9:25pm, edited 1 time in total.

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:One more thing that I didnt add that isnt a postive is I want to know how Peake could learn his footy without having any ability at all to kick on his left. Surely he is the worst wrong foot kick in the comp. Having said that he played quite well.
Gilbert springs to mind.

F_Q_F
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:One more thing that I didnt add that isnt a postive is I want to know how Peake could learn his footy without having any ability at all to kick on his left. Surely he is the worst wrong foot kick in the comp. Having said that he played quite well.
Gilbert could have him covered on that...

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Does the name Clinton Jones ring a bell?

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Oh you nailed most of them....

Farren Ray is an amazing pickup, and am I being to generous to suggest he would be close to being regarded as an A grader on this years form?

We have addressed our inability to get inside 50, just need to work on our inaccuracy, which I personally believe is the lesser of two evils.

Finally, not sure how anyone can argue that Jimmy Gwilt is not in our best 22 and how good his growth has been this year. His kicking out of defence is sublime. 16 kicks, 4 handballs, 95% efficiency.

saint58
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:

Great post you are spot on about winning over in Perth with 21 fit men.I am pleased we are not talked about like last year for the Flag we will do our job and get in the top 2 then game on.

And as for Geelong i dont care who we have on the park iam confident we will give them a shake and with a bit of luck and a even umpiring we might even beet them.

As for the big German well hope he is back soon,hope stanley will make a mark now maybe play him for Sandy next week for our bye give him some confidence.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:what did you think of our forward efficiency?

we went inside fifty 16 more times than fremantle, yet won by only 18 points and the game wasn't ours until the last five minutes.

are we taking enough marks inside 50 and do you think we can kick a winning score against geelong?
Rooy will be back in 3 weeks so surely we dont want to change before then. Why have we won our last 4, IMO structure which we didnt have for 3 weeks. Coincidence maybe but I dont think so.

rexy
SS Life Member

Iceman234 wrote:
Gilbert springs to mind.
Gilbert a lot better on his right than Peake is on his left. Gilbert is actually ok on his right over 15-30 metres and should have the confidence to use it when he needs to IMO.

Maybe this year?
Moccha
Saintsational Legend

It wasn't hot in Perth. There was a nice breeze blowing across the ground, in fact just about perfect football weather

Another opportunity awaits!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
So you're happy to meet up with the boys in the west but not the locals form here in your back dung heap???
I will drink with anyone. Easier to meet people in a saints function than just walking up to people in a bar. Are you sure you would want to meet me.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

Rooy will be back in 3 weeks so surely we dont want to change before then. Why have we won our last 4, IMO structure which we didnt have for 3 weeks. Coincidence maybe but I dont think so.
we've won our last four because three of them ... adelaide, west coast and richmond ... are easybeats.

we won on the weekend because our intensity was back. our inability to make it show on the scoreboard must concern you, though.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

Quite correct.

If we assume Raph's hammy will make him miss the Cats game, it's a no brainer at the selection table:

IN: Zac (assuming he's fit)
OUT: Raph

(unless Grammy has recovered, in which case either Eddy or Geary will make way IMO).

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Moccha wrote:It wasn't hot in Perth. There was a nice breeze blowing across the ground, in fact just about perfect football weather
For you 23 may not be hot but for players coming from Melbourne it was very hot. I was hot watching and was only in the sun for under half a game.

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:Good to hear some eye witness views and I agree there are only two teams that can win the big one this year. Geelong have improved and I believe we have as well, because we had to, without Riewoldt. I'm confident he'll be back stronger than ever and then it will be game on.
I think you have summed it up well. We have improved because Roo`s injury has brought the best out the rest of the team and given chances to someone like Stanley. We have found ways to kick goals thhat seemd to be missing in the first weeks of his absence

I love this club
avid
Club Player

rexy wrote:
Iceman234 wrote:
Gilbert springs to mind.
Gilbert a lot better on his right than Peake is on his left. Gilbert is actually ok on his right over 15-30 metres and should have the confidence to use it when he needs to IMO.
Gilbert did a right foot kick last week against Richmond, and another one this week against Freo. Only time I've ever seen him do it.
Both worked OK.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Considering the very hot condition the Saints did a magnificent job to beat Freo especially with only 21 fit men for most of the game. i have learned that BJ is a very good footballer and that questioned as last week who you would want out of BJ and Hodgey has only one answer. Both.
CJ did a great tagging job but must kick goals when it matters like it did yesterday in the last. Sam Gilbert could have been best on the ground apart from poor kicking

Kosi was good but with confidence would have taken at least 5 more marks. I have a feeling his confidence will return when number 12 does. On that our forward line just lacks on player and he isnt replaceable. We need to just wait for his return. As soon as our backs went back to the backline and BJ went basically into the middle of the ground we havent lost a game. Lesson learned. Great backs dont make forwards and great midfielders play in the midfield.

Milney had his best interstate game against a top side ever and was great to be at the ground to see it. Also you can win against top sides even if your best 6 players arent actually your best 6 players. Even contribution is the most important thing. Also our rucks are competitive but against a start like Sandilands they are only average. Luckily there is only one of them.

Finally I have learnt by watching TV that Geelong are just about the best home away side ever. We need to stop them this year becoming one of the best GF sides ever because there is no one else that can stop them.
Spot on P66, especially with the bit about us being the only ones capable of beating the Cats, obviously with Roo.

Was our most important win for some time, probably since the Prelim of last year.

I am jealous re: Subi as well, nearly went myself, only ground I haven't been too (we currently play anyway)

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
I will drink with anyone. Easier to meet people in a saints function than just walking up to people in a bar. Are you sure you would want to meet me.
Fair Call.

But I know you are a super model and just pretend to be a middle aged married man........so I'm keen if you are :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Fair Call.

But I know you are a super model and just pretend to be a middle aged married man........so I'm keen if you are :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
You can call me Elle if you like.