Father / Son

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

footynut
Club Player

Father / Son

Geelong have build an awesome team based around some very good father son picks. I am interested to know if there are any promising boy coming up through the system that would qualify for a father / son pick for St. Kilda.

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

One is 'in the oven' as we speak.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

dcstkfc wrote:One is 'in the oven' as we speak.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

18 footy seasons before we benefit though

I love this club
Go Sainters Go
Club Player

If you don't mind - not funny or clever. Belongs to Collingwood anyway.

Once a "Saint" always a trueblooded "Saint"
Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

Go Sainters Go wrote:
If you don't mind - not funny or clever. Belongs to Collingwood anyway.
lighten up, it was amusing, much worse has been said

I love this club
Solar
Saintsational Legend

from memory most of our champs lately have had girls.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:from memory most of our champs lately have had girls.

I dont think we have ever had much luck with the father son rule.
We all expected great things from Michael Roberts but wasnt as good as expected

I love this club
sax
Club Player

Connor Harvey was 9 in 2007, so we can have him in 5 or 6 years!
Last edited by sax on Thu 03 Jun 2010 1:42pm, edited 1 time in total.

Foundation Social Club Member No. 296
suss
Club Player

At the end of this decade the father/son rule will have played a major part in two teams making 8 grand finals and most likely winning 6 premierships. Whoever came up with that idea deserves a pat on the back. :roll:

shmic_s
Club Player

Yeah, they changed the rule two years ago i think.
Now, once a club selects a father/son player prior to the draft, other clubs can bid for him. The club that the father played for has first rights, they just have to give up a pick from the same round.

We did it with Ayce Cordy from the Bulldogs.
They wanted him father/son. We said we'd be prepared to give our first rounder for him. Therefore the Doggies had to give up thier first round pick to secure him.

The new system is much better. IMO, it was brought in because of Geelong's sucess.

Hopefully Harves has started coaching him already. :wink:
Last edited by shmic_s on Thu 03 Jun 2010 2:17pm, edited 1 time in total.

suss
Club Player

shmic_s wrote:Yeah, they changed the rule two years ago i think.
Now, once a club selects a father/son player prior to the draft, other clubs can bid for him. The club that the father played for has first rights, they just have to give up a similar round pick.

We did it with Ayce Cordy from the Bulldogs i think. They wanted him father/son. We said we'd be prepared to give our first rounder for him. Therefore the Doddies had to give up thier first round pick to secure him.

The new system is much better. IMO, it was brought in because of Geelong's sucess.
I agree that the rule is better but I don't understand why they don't ditch it all together. It still allows a team to win a premiership and select an obivous 1# draft pick by using pick #16. It's one for the romantics only.

shmic_s
Club Player

suss wrote:
Now, once a club selects a father/son player prior to the draft, other clubs can bid for him. The club that the father played for has first rights, they just have to give up a similar round pick.

We did it with Ayce Cordy from the Bulldogs i think. They wanted him father/son. We said we'd be prepared to give our first rounder for him. Therefore the Doddies had to give up thier first round pick to secure him.

I agree that the rule is better but I don't understand why they don't ditch it all together. It still allows a team to win a premiership and select an obivous 1# draft pick by using pick #16. It's one for the romantics only.
A bit little romance is alright. :D

It is implemented much better now.

EDIT: Didn't notice my spelling was so bad. Rushing so the boss didn't see the computer screen!

degruch
Saintsational Legend

suss wrote:

It's a pretty randon rule though. For example, who thought living in Geelong would be so enticing that players would stay there and breed!?!

Royston
Club Player

Not much else to do in Geelong apart from hitting the sack !!

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

EDIT: Didn't notice my spelling was so bad. Rushing so the boss didn't see the computer screen![/quote]

I know how that works, seems the computer does not put in what I type

I love this club
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Royston wrote:Not much else to do in Geelong apart from hitting the sack !!

Is too!

axcellence
Club Player

Peckett has 7 kids.. 5 are boys at least

lurker#134
Club Player

Heh... imagine that. Peckett handballs to Peckett who kicks it to Peckett who kicks to Peckett who bombs it into to the 50......PEEEECKETTTTT! WHAT A MARK!

This weeks team: Out Peckett, Peckett in Peckett, Peckett and Peckett.

One vote Peckett

Two votes Peckett

Three votes Peckett

Someone get on this.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

suss wrote:At the end of this decade the father/son rule will have played a major part in two teams making 8 grand finals and most likely winning 6 premierships. Whoever came up with that idea deserves a pat on the back.
I deliberately edited your rolling eyes emoticon b/c I actually agree with what you wrote minus the facetious tone. Imagine if Harves son turns out to be champ in 7 yrs time but he had to play for another club? What if the late great TRevor Barker had a son before he died? Imagine if that boy was to play for any other team other than the saints? If Burkie had boys? The list goes on and on. THis is what creates passion and loyalty amongst supporters. I love telling my kids that Gary Ablett's dad was just as famous as his son and they played for the same club.

I reckon it's fantastic for the game and the individual club that champions get to play for their dad's club. Who would ever deny Steve Silvagni playing at the blues, Gary Ablett playing for the cats, or matty Richardson playing for the tiges. Just b/c it hasn't panned out for our club is no need to be bitter about it.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

We seem to have a more brotherly club. The Pascoes, the Clarkes, etc.

Ice Wolf
Club Player

Moods wrote: I reckon it's fantastic for the game and the individual club that champions get to play for their dad's club. Who would ever deny Steve Silvagni playing at the blues, Gary Ablett playing for the cats, or matty Richardson playing for the tiges. Just b/c it hasn't panned out for our club is no need to be bitter about it.
Or the Clokes and Shaws screwing up Collingwood's recruiting.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Peckett- 5
Thompson - 2
Loewe 1
Harvey -1
Hudgton -2
Milne- 1

current guys are late starters
current 100 game players
dalsanto
Clarke X
Ball
Montagna
Goddard
Blake
Koschitzke
Riewoldt
Gram
Fisher S
Hayes
Baker

recent retirees
Gerhig
Brown T-children how many and ?
Everitt
Wakelin D
peckitt -5
Thompson- 2
Sziller ?
Daniels- Jayson ?
Harvey- 1
Burke- girls
Loewe - 1
Rice ?
Shanahan?
Grant- ?
Lockett - 4 girls
Winmar 0-- 1- basketball
Pekin T ?
Frawley D- 3 girls
Coghlin F -?
Elphingston?
cunningham G
Burns ?

after that they are possibly already too old.
http://stats.rleague.com/afl/stats/alltime/stkilda.html
sorted by age.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
suss
Club Player

Moods wrote:
suss wrote:At the end of this decade the father/son rule will have played a major part in two teams making 8 grand finals and most likely winning 6 premierships. Whoever came up with that idea deserves a pat on the back.
I deliberately edited your rolling eyes emoticon b/c I actually agree with what you wrote minus the facetious tone. Imagine if Harves son turns out to be champ in 7 yrs time but he had to play for another club? What if the late great TRevor Barker had a son before he died? Imagine if that boy was to play for any other team other than the saints? If Burkie had boys? The list goes on and on. THis is what creates passion and loyalty amongst supporters. I love telling my kids that Gary Ablett's dad was just as famous as his son and they played for the same club.

I reckon it's fantastic for the game and the individual club that champions get to play for their dad's club. Who would ever deny Steve Silvagni playing at the blues, Gary Ablett playing for the cats, or matty Richardson playing for the tiges. Just b/c it hasn't panned out for our club is no need to be bitter about it.
You don't need to edit my post to make your point. I was criticising the person who came up with the system, not the person who came up with the current rule.

And by the way, I'm not bitter about it, I'm thinking as much about the other clubs who would've benefitted from Ablett, Scarlett and Brown etc.

I just think that if you have an entire system aimed at producing a level playing field (including salary cap and draft), it's counter-intuitive to have a loop hole which lets a club become a power house based on the quality of an ex-player's semen.

If Ablett, Scarlett and Brown had all gone into the draft, wouldn't there have been a better spread of premierships amongst the 16 teams over the last 9 years? Isn't that a good thing?

#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

How old is Franky's oldest?

Gilbert The Great
Club Player

I think that the father/son rule is an integral part of our game. It adds another dimension of loyalty, allows sons to follow in their fathers footsteps and play in the team they have supported all their lives. While it does create a bump in the process of creating an even compition, it would be a sad day when this rule is removed from the game. It is apart of what sets our game apart, adds passion amoung the supporters, creates stronger communities within the clubs, I would hate to see the sons of past players playing for other clubs.