You're Ross Lyon - What do you do?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

You're Ross Lyon - What do you do?

One for all you keyboard heroes out there. 
Here's the scenario: You're Ross Lyon. What do you do? How do you get us out of this slump? What changes do you make to the gameplan? To the team? To the structure? What do you focus on? Where do you draw the line?
How do you get the Saints out of this mess and get them back on track so the rest of the world can take us seriously again?

Go. 

I'll go first. 
The first thing I would do is find out exactly where we are going wrong. To do that, I need to get video tapes of the last four matches, because that is where we've lost our form.

Then I will get a big piece of butcher paper, draw a line down the middle and on one side, write down all the good points and on the other all the points where we need improvement.

Once I have done this I can identify where we are going wrong and what we need to work on specifically. Then I would get these tapes edited, and condensed into one tape with dot points on what I want to focus on.

I would hold a team meeting which was compulsory for all senior listed players to attend. At this moment, nobody is guaranteed a spot in the 22. We have to start from scratch. I would immediately rule out anyone who did not attend the meeting fir this weekend.

I would show the tape and make my points so they are all aware what is working, what is not working, what I would like them to do more of, where I would like them to improve. 

Once I know what to work on, there would be an intensive training session during which I would focus on all these things and every player which did all the things I had made perfectly clear I wanted them to work on would be considered for selection.

I would then use this information as well as statistics compiled over the last eight weeks that underline how each player has been performing to consider who gets selected on Thursday. 

I would take Nick aside and ask him to talk to the group, both to say what he wants to say to them and to instil into them s sense of importance and urgency. 

Selection would be done from scratch. No more playing favourites, now they have to earn their spots out there.

Structurally I wouldn't even attempt to  replace Roo because it is not possible. Instead I would look at keeping the same players in the same positions and not switching and changing them. The backine, forwardline and midfield would all have key areas to work on and I would ensure first and foremost they were to perform these to the best of their ability.

I would let them know I have a zero tolerance policy and anyone who does not give 100% effort in whichever area they have been specified will be dropped. This means if their job is to go in hard, attempt to tackle and be accountable they MUST do that. 

On match day I would obviously give a pre-match wrap and tell them what I want them to focus on and what I want them to do and then let them know from here on in, I wanted to see 100% effort. 

The rest would be up to them. With the talent we have and the quality of our players I would count on them to perform or at least to try. 

Wholesale changes don't need to be made. We have things that are working and things that aren't and it is just a simple case of getting the mix right and them our form will return.    

Of course I have complete faith that the real Ross Lyon will know exactly what to do as well - I guess this is just for a bit of fun.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

When can you start?

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

How about playing a more attacking style.

Another opportunity awaits!
markp
Saintsational Legend

I would not panic.

I would persist with Fisher and Kosi up forward.

I would know that if we keep preparing as best we can and stick to our guns then our form will turn around (as it has begun to).

I would sort out my hair.

I would tell Zac and Raph that I dont care if they release those photos of me, no ones spot is guaranteed.

I would never, ever read SS.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Go round to Raph's place and have a few bongs with Zac.

OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

Moccha wrote:How about playing a more attacking style.
There was a really good post on bigfooty (how's that for an oxymoron? :wink: ) saying our biggest problem is we try to lock the game up and then attack when it should be the other way around.

but as I said, there are things that are working and things that are not - it is a case of working out the right blend of things that are working and starting from there.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

I'm not sure how or if it can be done - it's a RL and team challenge but we need to somehow prevent or at least restrict the super quick teams such as Esssendon from taking complete control of the corridor again.
Last edited by samoht on Tue 18 May 2010 10:34am, edited 1 time in total.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Take them to the movies? :lol:

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Maybe also provide Essendon and Carlton free movie passes as long as we sit near the corridor/aisle and they stay well clear. :oops:

na exa
Club Player

say sorry to the boys for treating them like robots , playing them like cannon fodder instead of elite troops and boring them to death until they start eating their own robotic limbs in frustration.

take a serious talking too , about 'keeping it fresh' in the head and on the track' ... play the players to their 'best' postion / not the other way round

get the A and A- squads , organised and happening.

kick goals first, defend second (in the preferred footy play book)

encourage mongrel.
flag or bust.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I'd back them in, effort and intensity was there on the weekend.

Perhaps I would show them all the poor kicking for goal and tell them to show a little more composure.

I really believe they are only one win away from everything clicking again.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Step 1:Most important..settle down the backline, move Goddard back there, resist the temptation to move Fisher or Gilbert to the forward line, bring Raph back in.
Step 2: Straighten up the play and use the corridor to get into the forward line..maybe use Gwilt as a small CHF
Step 3: Remind the midfield and forwards about their defensive game - it has fallen away this season

The Sainter
Club Player

Get Tony Abbott to address the opposing team before each game. He finds it hard to put words together anytime so anything is worth a try for our boys. Go Saints :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

Settle the back 6 and the midfield again (which is what RL said he would do last week wasn't it???) Gilbert & Fisher back there, Zac will stay for another week and Gwilt can stay there for now to release Goddard to the
midfield.

Gram out hurts, especially at Subiaco. The half backs moving forward are crucial to cover this, so a light week on the track for Gwilt, Fisher and Gilbert.

Goddard is a midfielder, he is most influencial there so he stays. No sitting
in the goal square for 10 minutes having no impact in the contest.

Mcqualter makes way for Stanley or Walsh. Neither is ready for their AFL career to begin yet, but we need another key marking option, if only to make the key backs more accountable. I'll lean toward Stanley, only because Walsh has struggled with the endurance required for AFL so far and will get found out on the big subi ground. I like what I saw from Heyne so he plays as the small forward spot left by Mini. He'll be another one with a light week because we'll need somewhere near 80% TOG from him this week.

Kosi will play at CHF forward this week and gets on his bike. He knows how to fill the zone spots better than Stanley or walsh so he us
important further up the field. Play Stanley and Milne out of the goal square and I don't want to see Milne getting possesions in the back 50 at all. He
must play at the feet of Stanley, as well as getting in and helping
block Glass when Stanley takes off on a lead.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

....Waiting for the old Rodger Fox to enter the thread and explain his thoughts....

Oops pardon me, its about fixes not obvious fault finding....

Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

Bring in some fresh players (e.g. Stanley). They mightn't set the world on fire, but they'd have an upside -- room for improvement. They might provide a spark. Or a good news story. They might re-energize the whole team.

Let's face it, our battlers are really battling.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

i take note of what bigcarl, n1ck, milan faletic, anythingspossiblesaints and others have been saying in the "goddard to take roo's role" and many other threads on saintsational.

then i ignore it and come up with something better that works and gets us a winning score. :wink:

SaintTom
Club Player

I like the idea of attacking early and defending later - means we don't have to have a desperate scramble in the last quarter to catch up that worked against the dogs, didn't against the Dons.

Fisher to the backline, he's too important there to have him up forward. An AA backman at a time where our backline looks shakey just shouldn't be playing up forward. He's worth more goals for us saving them up back then what he creates up forward. Same with Gilbert, he's too good rebounding out of defensive 50 to waste up forward. Give Goddard another full game in the forward line, he's a more creative forward than Fisher. Worked againt Freo, don't see why it couldn't work again.

If not, the only changes I would say to the side would be to bring in Steven in place of Mini who needs to find form, and Stanley for McEvoy who has been disappointing in the ones, and pace will help us on the bigger ground of Subi. Clarke for Gram. Like I said some stability in the backline.

Anything about telling the players that they need to give 100% is an insult to Ross, he's not stupid. He'll be doing that already.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

get one of those pens that has the four colours in it with the little click things down the side to change from red to green to blue etc

that pen he chews on in the box surely must be getting worn out by now.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

SaintTom wrote:I like the idea of attacking early and defending later - means we don't have to have a desperate scramble in the last quarter to catch up that worked against the dogs, didn't against the Dons.

Fisher to the backline, he's too important there to have him up forward. An AA backman at a time where our backline looks shakey just shouldn't be playing up forward. He's worth more goals for us saving them up back then what he creates up forward. Same with Gilbert, he's too good rebounding out of defensive 50 to waste up forward. Give Goddard another full game in the forward line, he's a more creative forward than Fisher. Worked againt Freo, don't see why it couldn't work again.

If not, the only changes I would say to the side would be to bring in Steven in place of Mini who needs to find form, and Stanley for McEvoy who has been disappointing in the ones, and pace will help us on the bigger ground of Subi. Clarke for Gram. Like I said some stability in the backline.

Anything about telling the players that they need to give 100% is an insult to Ross, he's not stupid. He'll be doing that already.
agree with all of that. i like it.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

I would ring Luke and ask if the pies need a midfield coach.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Well one thing for sure it is mainly about getting those in the 22 to play well, rather than expecting miracles from those outside of the 22.

I would make a change or two though.

Big ground and no Gram. So I would bring Peake in for balance.

However Lyon just has to concentrate on getting our players minds back in the zone. Their sloppy play and poor decision making all stems from the mind. they are "hearing footsteps" at present.

I personally would like to play our best backs back, to generate the drive and share the load.

Kosi cannot be the sole big forward. so either Sam or BJ needs to play forward unless you bring in Stanley.

Personally I think there is alot to be said for having our backline reset with it's key players. This creates drive and midfield support as you have both Fisher and Gilbert creating play.

With the forward line being more open pace is important. With Mini out of form my changes would be:

OUT Gram inj, Mini
In Peake, Stanley.

Heyne keeps his place and that keeps Steven out.

Zac if it was me I would drop too, but Lyon will probably keep the faith.

The fact that the Saints cannot zone as much has really been exposing Zac.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

SaintTom wrote:I like the idea of attacking early and defending later - means we don't have to have a desperate scramble in the last quarter to catch up that worked against the dogs, didn't against the Dons.

This I like.

But then again, I also like Matrix's suggestion of the four colour pen.

So if we can get Ross to make the changes you have suggested, but to write those changes down with the clickety multi coloured pen, then I'll be really happy. :D

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

Thought McEvoy was good Sunday. I'd keep him in.

Keep Heyne forward flank and, don't like it, but give Mini a week off.

Goddard forward, and Shneider deeper forward than what he's been playing.

Have a serious quiet word to Milne.

Think about bringing Peake back onto the wing for run. And maybe Stanley to use Subiaco's space.

This week I'd be working on the basics. Get the skills right and back your decision making abilities.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
matrix
Saintsational Legend

now we're getting somewhere

clickty pen to make new decisions.

crickey we should be on the coaching panel... :D