Rhys Stanley

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Mooksy
Club Player

Rhys Stanley

Can't believe the hype about this guy. He played what...5 good minutes in the NAB Cup? People expecting him to solve our problems....prepare to be disappointed.

Buckets
SS Life Member

You might be right. But is it over hype or just the expectation from the general feeling from Saints supporters that we need to try something different in terms of our forward line structure? Not to say that Rhys will be the saviour but it gives the opportunity to guys like Rhys to show if they have what it takes.

Thats Mr. Smartarse to you
saintlee
Club Player

Stanley looks to be a great prospect....but the impression I get from Sandy watchers is that he's not ready for AFL level football yet.

But you can't blame people for getting excited about him, he looks to have that x factor about him

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintlee wrote:Stanley looks to be a great prospect....but the impression I get from Sandy watchers is that he's not ready for AFL level football yet.

But you can't blame people for getting excited about him, he looks to have that x factor about him
Is he injured?

saintlee
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
saintlee wrote:Stanley looks to be a great prospect....but the impression I get from Sandy watchers is that he's not ready for AFL level football yet.

Is he injured?
Not sure I follow P66? What does that have to do with what I said?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintlee wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Is he injured?
You mentioned X.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

personally I am jut as excited about heyne, this kid is starting to do the hard things in the packs that will push him up into AFL contention.

Stanley is very quick and has good hands. Still developing but can't be worse then the forwards we have currently ;)

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
saintlee
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
saintlee wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Is he injured?
You mentioned X.
Ah...poor choice of words, don't want to jinx him! Stanley looks a likely type then, how's that?

Banger724
Club Player

Not expecting him to be the saviour, but we do need a genuine forward structure as opposed to rotating defenders through there, and whilst his Sandy form may have been ordinary, it's not uncommon for people to play at a higher level when they go up a level or two. If he can come in and kick 1 or 2 whilst providing a lead up target/making a contest for the crumbers, then he'll have done his job.

Don't think anyone expects him to come in and take 12-13 marks like Roo.

Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

You might be right. But is it over hype or just the expectation from the general feeling from Saints supporters that we need to try something different in terms of our forward line structure? Not to say that Rhys will be the saviour but it gives the opportunity to guys like Rhys to show if they have what it takes.
Exactly. Who's expecting Plugger Mach 2? But I'm confident he'll chase down his opponents -- when he's not burning them off -- and maybe even snag a goal or two. So he's better than what we have now.

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

McEvoy, Gardner and Kosi can all play forward and ruck.

Stanley can't ATM and can only play forward IMO

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

St Fidelius wrote:McEvoy, Gardner and Kosi can all play forward and ruck.

Ive seen nothing to suggest MG and Ben can play well in the forward line and Im not sure about Kosi at the moment either.

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

Ive seen nothing to suggest MG and Ben can play well in the forward line and Im not sure about Kosi at the moment either.
If you are talking about this year, yeah right.

Have you seen anything to suggest that Stanley can do both at the top level??

I mean at all?

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

St Fidelius wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I mean at all?
Well Stanley would hopefully be a better forward than those 2 and he doesnt need to ruck because we will have 2 already. By the way I think Heyne will play not Stanley.

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
St Fidelius wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I mean at all?
Well Stanley would hopefully be a better forward than those 2 and he doesnt need to ruck because we will have 2 already. By the way I think Heyne will play not Stanley.
Yeah, I really don't think Stanley is ready ATM.

Yes, I hope and think Stanley will become a great forward for us in the future.

But for me this week I feel it has to be McEvoy for the ruck and maybe a rotation through the forward line with Gardner and maybe Kosi

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Re: Rhys Stanley

Mooksy wrote:Can't believe the hype about this guy. He played what...5 good minutes in the NAB Cup? People expecting him to solve our problems....prepare to be disappointed.
he's not the only one who has been hyped........check the current FF....

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Well Stanley would hopefully be a better forward than those 2 and he doesnt need to ruck because we will have 2 already. By the way I think Heyne will play not Stanley.
you'd think so on their recent form.

manoffewwords
Club Player

I have seen three Sandy games this year, although he looked the goods up forward in the NAB cup he has looked relatively out of it up forward for Sandy. On the other hand he looks like quite a good competitor in the ruck and I would suggest may well be playing better in Ruck than forward for Sandy.

Biggest problem I think that he has at the moment is that he seems to lose focus somewhat, intensity can drop off. Been caught with the ball a couple of times from this lack of awareness and intensity. Not sure how he would go at the next level just yet.

I think if we are going to give him a go it might be better against a Richmond or Adelaide.
Worries me the hopes being heaped on his shoulders at this point.

While I make one of my few posts I should mention Walsh, Game against Frankston he was totally lost, I thought he would be years away. To his credit there is improvement every week, definitely not this year but he may get a game in the future. imho

Heres a riddle for you.

What do Sam Gilbert and Daniel Pratt have in common?? :shock:

btw I wont be supplying the answer.

MOFW

Damn that was more than a few words!

Say something once why say it again?
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Both from Queesland. Or they both have 2 balls.

manoffewwords
Club Player

:D

Say something once why say it again?
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

We do not need Rhys Stanley to be the answer at all.

What we need from Rhys Stanley IMHO is 2 things:

1. Take a defender AWAY from Kosi to stop the double team efforts in the goal square.

2. Chase and tackle like a nutter when the ball hits the deck - pressure pressure pressure and tackle. Use his pace.

IF he jags a goal or two great -IF he creates a spillage and Milne/Scneider goal great but just provide an option.

His pace will really add defensive fwd pressure and THAT alone gives Kosi (who gets run off by everyone) a huge chop out.

“Yeah….nah””
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:We do not need Rhys Stanley to be the answer at all.

1. Take a defender AWAY from Kosi to stop the double team efforts in the goal square.

2. Chase and tackle like a nutter when the ball hits the deck - pressure pressure pressure and tackle. Use his pace.

IF he jags a goal or two great -IF he creates a spillage and Milne/Scneider goal great but just provide an option.

His pace will really add defensive fwd pressure and THAT alone gives Kosi (who gets run off by everyone) a huge chop out.
Yea, but 5 minutes of good football in the NAB series does really equate to even a quarter of decent football in the real season.

Gee, Steven "Jaged" two goals last week and got dropped this week.

Foz
Club Player

Armo jagged 2 the week before and got dropped.

2 goals = exit stage :arrow:

ace
Saintsational Legend

McEvoy can't ruck.
Rucking is about winning hitouts not trying to shove your opponent around.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
Statsman
Club Player

Teflon wrote:We do not need Rhys Stanley to be the answer at all.

Spot on!

At the moment, when the ball goes forward you know it's going to Kosi because he's the only marking option up there. Sadly, he's out of form right now and therefore not taking marks and also not bringing the ball to ground either. This means our crumbers are not finding opportunties at gorund level and the opposition is able to rebound out of defense too easily.

Stanley can help by providing another marking target up forward to give our midfield more than one option inside 50. He should also be able to use his quickness and mobility to present a lead up target leaving Kosi to play deep as the "long option".

If he presents strongly, takes a few grabs inside 50, applies pressure without the football and can jag a goal or two he'll have more than done his job.

"Ask not what your teammates can do for you. Ask what you can do for your teammates." - Earvin 'Magic' Johnson