Opponents are 3-1

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

Opponents are 3-1

Sydney, Collingwood & Freemantle are all in the Top 6 on the ladder, with three wins and one loss - all against St Kilda.

We still havn't played Geelong, Brisbane or the Bulldogs, and even without Roo I reckon we have a better than even chance of beating them.

Last year, our opponents had the habit of winning the week after they played us.

Credit must be given to Ross Lyon for developing this disclipined system of football they call "Saints Football" Although a keen fan, I would struggle to define "Saints Football" but whatever it is, I enjoy the result.

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

I define Saints footy as manic footy, manic at the man (opposition) and manic about the ball. Pressure, pressure, pressure!

Another opportunity awaits!
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Moccha wrote:I define Saints footy as manic footy, manic at the man (opposition) and manic about the ball. Pressure, pressure, pressure!
Yep. Pretty much.

Personally I'd like to see us create more goals from nothing.

We seem to score a disproportionate amount from turnovers.

At their best, Geelong score any which way. So too the Dogs.

But perhaps we are what we are and that's that. Fact is we win!

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:
Moccha wrote:I define Saints footy as manic footy, manic at the man (opposition) and manic about the ball. Pressure, pressure, pressure!
Yep. Pretty much.

Personally I'd like to see us create more goals from nothing.

We seem to score a disproportionate amount from turnovers.

At their best, Geelong score any which way. So too the Dogs.

But perhaps we are what we are and that's that. Fact is we win!

It is amazing tha we can maintain that brand of footy for a game let a lone week after week. It shows what a great job our fitness staff do

As for creating goals, if there is any good to come out of loosing roo, it is that we will learn new methods to score in his absence. And when he comes back we will be even better, god help the rest of the comp

I love this club
Griggsy
SS Life Member

We have lost the tackling stat the last 3 weeks, expected against north because we had so much of the ball, but collingwood and fremantle were close games. If tackling is to still be our strength we need to step it up.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Griggsy wrote:We have lost the tackling stat the last 3 weeks, expected against north because we had so much of the ball, but collingwood and fremantle were close games. If tackling is to still be our strength we need to step it up.
Why? Did we lose?

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
GeorgeYoung27
Club Player

I was going to state the fact that 3 of our wins have been against sides that have only dropped one game - against us.

All 3 of them are considered to be having a great year because they have only lost to St Kilda.[/quote]

rexy
SS Life Member

Griggsy wrote:We have lost the tackling stat the last 3 weeks, expected against north because we had so much of the ball, but collingwood and fremantle were close games. If tackling is to still be our strength we need to step it up.
I noticed that, also noticed that a lot of our turnovers in the forward half are coming from opposition fumbles and errant handballs leading to intercepts. This is caused by the preassure and the fear of being caught with the ball due to our tackling over the last 12 months.

Did think we let them slip to many tackles on Sunday though? Probably being overly critical but thats how I saw it.

Maybe this year?
Solar
Saintsational Legend

both have come after slow first halves. Need to play the whole 4 quarters, but nice problem to have undefeated

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
Why? Did we lose?
That's it, why expend needless energy...have to get the balance right this year so the boys are fit and firing in the latter half.

Griggsy
SS Life Member

SainterK wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:
Why? Did we lose?
That's it, why expend needless energy...have to get the balance right this year so the boys are fit and firing in the latter half.

Against the teams mentioned in the OP, we may have. Just mentioning because last year our tackling was second to none. And i doubt conserving energy was on the boys minds when they are still fighting to secure the win. I'm all for it if the game in secure, but the 4points always takes priority.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

The saints are not going in as hard as last year yet. The nab was awesome because even playing like it was a training drill we looked better than the opposition.

We are not Geelong and are never going to be- they play a move the ball forward quickly at all costs game. This works to their strengths but when you see other teams take them on at their own game they seem to have better skills and a way to find a higher level.

We do the full ground as defensive unit thing but we do it better and more thoroughly than others. You see the saints move the ball slowly to maintain possession often ignoring iffy leads. we are not blessed with a heap of big bodied mids like some of the other teams but we have few players on the field who aren't prepared to put them selves into the contest.