Real reason Luke Ball left Saints

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintwill66
Club Player

Real reason Luke Ball left Saints

I have long argued that Luke Ball never became the gun player that you would expect a first round draft pick to become, and there is little doub that his battle with OP has had a serious effect on his running and kicking.

In his final season at St Kilda Ball was only a marginal player, and sure, in the wet conditions on GF Day he probably had his best game of the year. But it was no surprise that St Kilda were not prepared to offer him anything near the half-million dollars he was seeking for a new 3-year contract.

Put yourself in Luke Ball's position: he would know in his own mind that he lacks confidence in the success of his recovery from OP - he would be well aware of his limtations, but hey, his manager can find him more money at Collingwood who are desperate for a seasoned mid-fielder.

It's a no-brainer, with the prospects that his top-level AFL career are at best shaky, why not sign a 3-year deal with the Magpies because if he fails to deliver he'll still get the big dollars.

I'm no psychologist, but Ball's body-language late in the game against the Saints, and afterwards, appeared to indicate that he is a broken man, and while I take no joy from his predicament (I don't doubt that he is a decent bloke), it at least vindicates St Kilda's decision to rate him as a fringe player.

Last night when he kicked for goal inside the 50m arc, his kick fell well short near the behind post - it was a sad sight, and must have been devastating for him!

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

I think we all realise that. Didn't sing the song at the end of the game with much gusto

Another opportunity awaits!
suss
Club Player

I didn't realise he was playing last night until they mentioned his name in the last quarter. We haven't lost much, that's for sure.

ACTSAINTER
Club Player

Watched the start of the game last night, saw Collingwoods centre setup and could not see Luke Ball but then camera panned to the bench and there he was. Collingwoods biggest "statement" game of the year so far after lowering their black and white stripes to the Saints and Luke Ball could only make it to the bench to start. I know others will say that it does not matter if a player starts on the bench with the amount of rotations these days, but it sure as hell mattered to Luke Ball last season! Oh dear.

"Oh I do love to be beside the sea side..........................................."
SteveStevens66
Club Player

MM stated that against the Saints, Ball was one of Collingwood's best players (he may have even said he was their best). Lo and behold, last night he starts on the pine. Given his track record one can only assume that Malthouse was lying again!. It is pathological with this bloke.

Carna Saints!!!
remboy
SS Hall of Fame

Interesting that he played 65% of the game last night, the least of any Collingwood player. Might have to go somewhere else to get more game time.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
RodKeoghsLoveChild
Club Player

Re: Real reason Luke Ball left Saints

saintwill66 wrote:I have long argued that Luke Ball never became the gun player that you would expect a first round draft pick to become, and there is little doub that his battle with OP has had a serious effect on his running and kicking.

In his final season at St Kilda Ball was only a marginal player, and sure, in the wet conditions on GF Day he probably had his best game of the year. But it was no surprise that St Kilda were not prepared to offer him anything near the half-million dollars he was seeking for a new 3-year contract.

Put yourself in Luke Ball's position: he would know in his own mind that he lacks confidence in the success of his recovery from OP - he would be well aware of his limtations, but hey, his manager can find him more money at Collingwood who are desperate for a seasoned mid-fielder.

It's a no-brainer, with the prospects that his top-level AFL career are at best shaky, why not sign a 3-year deal with the Magpies because if he fails to deliver he'll still get the big dollars.

I'm no psychologist, but Ball's body-language late in the game against the Saints, and afterwards, appeared to indicate that he is a broken man, and while I take no joy from his predicament (I don't doubt that he is a decent bloke), it at least vindicates St Kilda's decision to rate him as a fringe player.

Last night when he kicked for goal inside the 50m arc, his kick fell well short near the behind post - it was a sad sight, and must have been devastating for him!
He must be feeling terrible on his minimum 600k a year playing a sport he loves.

I hope he can pull himself out of the deep depression he must be in and find a real zest for life....

Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes.
SaintWodonga
Club Player

One of the commentators (can't remember who) last night said:

"By the end of the year Ball will not be in Collingwood's best 22".

Looks like RL was correct, just wish we got a pick for him, major blue not to!

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
Moccha
Saintsational Legend

SaintWodonga wrote:One of the commentators (can't remember who) last night said:

Walls

Another opportunity awaits!
bigred
Saintsational Legend

I think its quite sad just quietly.

But still...no one would hold my hand if I made a poor career decision and it all went pear shaped...

He made his bed.

ace
Saintsational Legend

SaintWodonga wrote:One of the commentators (can't remember who) last night said:

Malthouse dropped Shane O'Bree from Collingwood's midfield for the first time since 2002.
Ball could end up competing for a place with O'Bree.

If Ball was a broken man last week it was because of the way Collingwood fell way in the final quarter.
It dawned on him that he would not be winning a premiership medal at Collingwood.
He had no real friends at Collingwood (who would want them).
AND he wished he had stayed at St Kilda.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA 50:08
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:

Malthouse dropped Shane O'Bree from Collingwood's midfield for the first time since 2002.

If Ball was a broken man last week it was because of the way Collingwood fell way in the final quarter.
It dawned on him that he would not be winning a premiership medal at Collingwood.
Yes he was a broken man last week and for one reason only, they lost to his previous side. By the way i dont think he would be winning a premiership medal with Saints either if he stayed either. Makes sense to me why he went and the more a watch him the more sense it makes.

Beekay
SS Life Member

What plugger said, minus the butchering of the English language.

avid
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
ace wrote:

Yes he was a broken man last week and for one reason only, they lost to his previous side. By the way i dont think he would be winning a premiership medal with Saints either if he stayed either. Makes sense to me why he went and the more a watch him the more sense it makes.
On Before the Game (I think) he was asked about how it felt to be lining up against St Kilda.
He said it was like running into your old girlfriend of the last x years -- a bit weird, and sad, but in the past.
I think that's a fair analogy -- he clearly loved St Kilda, and was hurt by the break up -- but that doesn't mean it wasn't the right thing to do, on either side.
I'm happy to think of it that way -- it's dignified, and it's explicable, and there's always some crap and blame when it happens. And always some long lasting pain.

ThomasR
Club Player

SteveStevens66 wrote:MM stated that against the Saints, Ball was one of Collingwood's best players (he may have even said he was their best). Lo and behold, last night he starts on the pine. Given his track record one can only assume that Malthouse was lying again!. It is pathological with this bloke.
He was one of their best players.. even Ross snuck him into the votes. He will still be in their best 22 at the end of the year, but they are starting to realise that he still has to be carefully managed fitness-wise.

And yes, we blew Collingwood out of the water in the final term last week, and the hatred for them is particularly strong around here after the MM incident, but they are far from the worst going around. Demolished the Hawks, knocked off the Bulldogs, and had an absolute shocker against Melbourne and still won. If they kicked a bit straighter against us then who knows. I am not sure how they do it with their personnel but they are a very good side on their day (their worst can be terrible though) and we must not forget that.