Lovett lodges notice of grievance with club

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Fidelis
Club Player

Lovett lodges notice of grievance with club

HeraldSun reports that Andrew Lovett has lodged a notice of grievance against the club.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/a ... 5826070478

Discussion on SEN suggested that he might have had the backing of the Players Association in doing so.

A very interesting development; the club have clearly wanted to let the police make the running and won't want their hand to be forced early.

Can anyone tell us what a notice of grievance is and how it might play out?

Faithful Even Unto Death
GrumpyOne

Re: Lovett lodges notice of grievance with club

Fidelis wrote:HeraldSun reports that Andrew Lovett has lodged a notice of grievance against the club.

Discussion on SEN suggested that he might have had the backing of the Players Association in doing so.

A very interesting development; the club have clearly wanted to let the police make the running and won't want their hand to be forced early.

Cant answer the question, but this is new territory for the Players Association, so I expect they would be seeking some protocol for the future.

Wont be the last time this occurs at a Footy Club, Richmond will be the next, so precedent is important.

Quixote
SS Life Member

What a bloody farce.

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Quixote wrote:What a bloody farce.
It'll be an even bigger farce if no charges are laid or if they are, he's eventually found not guilty.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:
Quixote wrote:What a bloody farce.
It'll be an even bigger farce if no charges are laid or if they are, he's eventually found not guilty.
It will be a huge issue if no charges are laid but if they are and he is found not guilty I dont think that will be as big an issue. Firstly a payout will have be settled upon by then you would think and secondly not guilty doesnt actually mean innocent.

sainter#4
Club Player

so does this mean lovett is trying to force the clubs hand to let him back in the fold and let him train?? or essentially just seeking a payout for his "troubles"

Ice Wolf
Club Player

All I can think is that Lovett must be pretty sure that there is no evidence that could go against him otherwise this could get very messy if goes to a Civil court.

Sainterman
Club Player

Maybe I don't know enough about player contracts, but isn't it the clubs prerogative to allow a player, listed or not, to train and be a part of the club? He has not been sacked, he has not been delisted, just told to keep fit and stay away until things are sorted out. The club have been at pains to try not to influence the proceedings in any way via any statement they have made on the issue so far.

For a guy that has been involved in 2 alleged unsavory incidents I would have expected he might pull his head in.

And why is it taking so long for the police to act on this matter. Surely they would have completed interviews etc by now. I am at a loss to understand why it takes so long to make a call to lay charges or not.

Then again, I am probably a n00b when it comes to all of the above!

thirty-seven!?
Club Player

If something like this is lodged, it would be hard to ever see Lovett and the SKFC getting on harmoniously, regardless of the outcome.
Even if found 'not guilty', one could almost imagine Lovett walking out on the club anyway - after all this, would the club ever want Lovett to play for them, and Lovett want to play for the club???

Milton66
SS Life Member

Can someone clarify what the greivance is for?

Is he suspended without pay?

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Herd a bit on 3AW..... getting the impression those reports that Lyon wanted him instantly sacked might be right.....

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

what a mess. just not the distraction the club needs going into a new year. so dissapointed in this....I had this guy down as giving us some real X Factor....I guess in some ways he delivered on that ...just not on field.

“Yeah….nah””
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Is anyone else going to the AGM on Thursday?

Good timing that Lovett has brought it up just 2 days before it.....

I'm with him on the fact that the AFL doesn't have appropriate guidelines for standing down players.

It's simply not fair on any player to left in limbo for over a month.

Put it this way - in other industries - public ones - how would a similar case be handled?

Is there protocol elsewhere as to how to deal with it?

JMsainter
Club Player

It's interesting that he's taking this route. He either knows he's innocent or that there is no case to prove, or he's being led by the AFLPA.

Either way, it could get messy. Just imagine if he is innocent.

Fired Up Again For 2010. Go Saints!!!

Kepp dreaming those impossible dreams. Spend every minute of everyday striving to reach your dreams.
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Surely the club spoke with the AFLPA and their lawyers prior to 'suspending' him?

They're not stupid........are they?

Batnoe

Teflon wrote:what a mess. just not the distraction the club needs going into a new year. so dissapointed in this....I had this guy down as giving us some real X Factor....I guess in some ways he delivered on that ...just not on field.
has given us XXX factor

Ice Wolf
Club Player

JMsainter wrote:It's interesting that he's taking this route. He either knows he's innocent or that there is no case to prove, or he's being led by the AFLPA.

He better be otherwise this could be spectacular stuff up for him if the club can prove otherwise.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:Surely the club spoke with the AFLPA and their lawyers prior to 'suspending' him?

Why?

Wheres the protocol suggesting they must do that?

The club went to the highest body in the sport - AFL HQ - informed them of the situation......

Are you suggesting all clubs have previously advised the AFLPA prior to taking action against players for behaviour/stupidity?

Do you know if West Coast informed the AFLPA prior to their treatment of Cousins?

Ahhh....so many questions....so much foxing...and so little answers.. :roll:

“Yeah….nah””
Milton66
SS Life Member

Ice Wolf wrote:
JMsainter wrote:It's interesting that he's taking this route. He either knows he's innocent or that there is no case to prove, or he's being led by the AFLPA.

He better be otherwise this could be spectacular stuff up for him if the club can prove otherwise.
It beats me why he wouldn't just realise the mess his caused and just put his hand up and suspend himself. Is he that big a fool?

I mean seriously. I'm happy to give most people the benefit of the doubt but this guy is starting to worry me.

Then again when I think about it. If he did voluntarily stand aside, it might be taken as admission of guilt.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:Surely the club spoke with the AFLPA and their lawyers prior to 'suspending' him?

I can't imagine is any of AFLPA's business, if he has broken the law. Whilst the club is letting the Police go about their business, I'd suggest it's still none of AFLPA's business. Would the Players Assoc get him a lawyer if he goes to jail?

I would agree that a move like this indicates he won't be at the club long. It also feels a bit like the club decided not to cover itself from d***head behaviour in his contract...which in itself would be pretty d***headish on their part. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

There is an excellent workplace lawyer on the board, no chance.

mbogo
SS Hall of Fame

Mmm - very weird all around - I guess it rests on the fact that our legal system is based on "innocent until proven guilty"
Hence if he is found not guilty or not charged - then we are up for wages as well as damages (to his career and prospects).
Imagine what he could get out of the Heraldsun for defamation .....
It is unbelievable!
We should let him train.

This is a team game and there is no room for individuals who think they are above walking through the fire.
Milton66
SS Life Member

mbogo wrote:Mmm - very weird all around - I guess it rests on the fact that our legal system is based on "innocent until proven guilty"
Hence if he is found not guilty or not charged - then we are up for wages as well as damages (to his career and prospects).
Imagine what he could get out of the Heraldsun for defamation .....
It is unbelievable!
We should let him train.
That's a big call to let him train.

I'd wait to see what the Police do. rememder they were "expected" to lay charges soon... what 2 or 3 weeks ago?

Then if there's no charges, let him stay at Sandy until he proves himself and erans back respect (if that's still viable).

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

I think if he was hoping to stay...somehow...he wouldnt take this action. Good as gone ...again...but now with trouble and a attempted left jab on the way out.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Re: Lovett lodges notice of grievance with club

Fidelis wrote:HeraldSun reports that Andrew Lovett has lodged a notice of grievance against the club.

well...i flagged that this might happen earlier....

..but then...also gives the club an out from their current stated position...lovett could be accepted back into the fold with the saints saying...'well..we had no choice"....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.