The end for goose and X at the saints

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

The end for goose and X at the saints

I recently watched a replay of our round 7, 2008 game against Richmond. You might recall it was the night Milney kicked seven and almost single-handedly won the game for us. Moore hit the post for them late in the game and then Jack Riewoldt failed to make the distance with a kick after the siren.

What saddened me as I watched it, was how far the goose had regressed as a player. He didn't play a terrible game, but his movement, especially his ability to turn was non-existent. Gone were the big, pack-busting marks, the runs and booming kicks out of defence and the sheer intimidation of him hitting opponents and packs at speed. I know his game-style had to alter under RL, but to me he was unrecognisable as the player he was pre- 2007. Before his injury he was rightly considered the equal of any CHB and I was always a big fan. Like many on here, i was disappointed he wasn't given one last chance with us in 2010.

Looking at the footage in an objective way, and taking into account a few of his performances for Sandy that I saw last year, I can see why he was kept out of the lineup by Dawson, Blake, Fisher et al. At 190 cm, goose really needed his mobility and closing speed to keep up with the best. Tragically, the series of injuries he suffered appeared to have robbed him of this quality, as well as a good deal of confidence. He was a great clubman and I wish him all the best at Brisbane, but somehow I think the game may have passed him by.

As for X, the game highlighted what a valuable player he might have been had his body been able to stand up to the rigours of AFL. While we have vigorously debated the merits of Lovett on here, the fact is X could've been that player, the jet who could carry the ball and finish. Several times in the replayed game I mentioned, X showed his pace, skill and flair and was one of our better players on the night until..... the predictable happened. In the last quarter, with less than a kick in it and our captain off injured and done for the night, X chases his opponent and rips his hamstring. Gone for the night and the saints down to just 20 men.

I know it's no-one's fault, but this was a classic example of the frustration of watching X. In so many games he displayed his considerable skills (remember the speccies pre RL?), only for him to go down with another soft tissue injury. The ACL last year was the last straw for both player and club. Another terrific young bloke, I wish X all the best against everyone but us, and I hope he finally fulfills that enormous potential. I can't help thinking the loss of such outstanding clubmen, along with Max Hudghton, will leave something of a void in the place. The loss of these guys is an intangible that can only be assessed at season's end.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
GrumpyOne

Goose may have come good eventually as confidence in his body returned, but with modern footy we can no longer carry someone on our list.

X I think had a lot more to offer, but we had many others who could play in the same position, and time was not on his side to force his way back in. I think we would have kept him if he hadn't wanted to try elsewhere.

Good luck to both... they were both good clubmen with us.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I think we may have kept X if we were not going to get Lovett. Oh well.

Duggie1
Club Player

You might have a different opinion on Xavier this coming season. Make sure you are one of the first to pat him on the back. :lol:

Always a Saint
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

I didnt want Xavier traded - Id seen enough to reckon he had the goods BUT.....he was and never will be a "jet"....Lovett IS a "jet"....lightning fast as opposed to 'speedy'......theres a difference.

Many will say "who cares pace is overrated" and in a good side it is but it can also be a weapon in a one paced side that needs someone to break the lines.

X would still have been an addition - I was excited by the performances he was putting in when playing two's that had many saying he was about to be recalled to seniors......frkn knee injury at the worst possible time stuffed that. Im sorry we let him go - and for pick 60 I reckon Brisbane may do ok out of that...

“Yeah….nah””
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Anybody read the article in the papers over the weekend where Brisbane were quoted as saying they expected Xavier to be 'pressing for selection' around mid-season?

He's coming off a knee reconstruction and it's quite possible to be another year before he's back to where he was prior to it.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

we won't won't know whether it is the end for X and Goose until they play a full year at brisbane.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

saintly wrote:we won't won't know whether it is the end for X and Goose until they play a full year at brisbane.

i wish both of them well........would even barrack for the brions against anyone else but us...... :lol:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
SaintHomer
Club Player

I didn't want to see either of them go... but understand why.

Given that I'm now living in Brisbane, I hope for X's sake that I'll see him running around a lot this year.

I was more surprised to see Goose go though, given how valuable key defenders are. Without knowing much detail, it looked to me that his confidence was the major thing that was down with him. We've lost Max now, and I hope Zac doesn't get grand final blues, after a stellar season last year.

I guess with the lack of those big key chf's now, big backmen like Goose might be on the way out. He really doesn't have too many matchups now, other than the likes of J Brown or a resting ruckman up forward.

minneapolis
Club Player

Hey SaintHomer

Well said.

Would you like to keep an eye on the X-man and Goose over the coming season for us? The St Kilda faithful would love to know how they are going from time to time. You could be our insider upnorther.