Goose gone ...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BelfastSaint
Club Player

Goose gone ...

Delisted today ..

Bardon Saint
Club Player

Defender Matt Maguire has been delisted, while Zac Dawson and Luke Miles have been elevated off the Rookie list. Read on for more details of our latest list changes.

http://www.saints.com.au/season2009/new ... fault.aspx
Last edited by Bardon Saint on Thu 29 Oct 2009 5:29pm, edited 2 times in total.

chook23
Saintsational Legend

When confirmed

Does not surprise given the horrific injuries and their effect

cut down

sad

saint4life
Bardon Saint
Club Player

Damn, I didn't want to see that happen. Not even for a trade. Thanks Goose.

HarveysDeciple

Burst onto the scene in 2003. Was outstanding in 2004 and 2005.

Struggled in 2006, was starting to find his best form, then suffered horrendous broken leg.....game over. Very sad.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Sad news, all the best to Matt....someone may pick him up in the draft

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Hope he gets another chance...real shame he didnt get that 100th but was just one the cruel blows fate threw him

All the best Goose...thanks for some great footy

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

What I don't get is that Drain said he would have played against Hawthorn had he not tweaked his hamstring. That was barely a few weeks before the end of the season.

Since then, we've lost a Grand Final and lost one of the greatest defenders in the club's history. You'd have thought there was a spot for him. Extremely disappointing. Reckon this tugs at the fabric of the club just a little bit.

Occasionally - though rarely - you need to reward great clubmen and give them a little leeway because of what they can ultimately offer. Maguire deserved one more year - if he couldn't get it right in that 12 months, then it would have been acceptable to release him.

Sure this decision wasn't taken lightly, but with the club in desperate need of decent, tall defenders, this makes for a bizarre decision.

In Ross We Trust, but please, perspective is a good thing.
Last edited by evertonfc on Thu 29 Oct 2009 5:41pm, edited 1 time in total.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

thirty-seven!?
Club Player

Very disappointing...

Could he be picked up as a rookie under the new rules:

"Under several changes approved by the commission on Monday, the rules have been relaxed to allow an extra two rookies on to every club's list, with mature-age rookies allowed not only to have played an infinite number of senior games but also paid over the odds in rookie terms. Any contract worth more than the minimum rookie payment would result in the additional money being included in the total player payments."

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

Hawthorn or Carlton might take a punt on him

Another opportunity awaits!
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Thanks for everything Goose.

All the best for the future.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:What I don't get is that Drain said he would have played against Hawthorn had he not tweaked his hamstring. That was barely a few weeks before the end of the season.

Since then, we've lost a Grand Final and lost one of the greatest defenders in the club's history. You'd have thought there was a spot for him. Extremely disappointing. Reckon this tugs at the fabric of the club just a little bit.

Occasionally - though rarely - you need to reward great clubmen and give them a little leeway because of what they can ultimately offer. Maguire deserved one more year - if he couldn't get it right in that 12 months, then it would have been acceptable to release him.

Sure this decision wasn't taken lightly, but with the club in desperate need of decent, tall defenders, this makes for a bizarre decision.

Maybe he wants to try his luck in the draft, we did offer him a 12 month contract didn't we?

emma
Club Player

Maybe he requested this? Didn't think he could break into the side and thought he'd take a chance in the draft?

S.A Saint
Club Player

The GOOSE is cooked OFFICIALLY...

All the best Matty....

chook23
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:What I don't get is that Drain said he would have played against Hawthorn had he not tweaked his hamstring. That was barely a few weeks before the end of the season.

very weakened team that day v Hawks

plenty at all clubs played after that round and delisted

very tough business,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

has been injured and attempting to come back for a long time.........

body a huge risk at afl level now

in footy terms at afl body/pace gone

sad as I mentioned above
Last edited by chook23 on Thu 29 Oct 2009 5:42pm, edited 1 time in total.

saint4life
MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

evertonfc wrote:What I don't get is that Drain said he would have played against Hawthorn had he not tweaked his hamstring.

That was barely a few weeks before the end of the season.

Since then, we've lost a Grand Final and lost one of the greatest defenders in the club's history.

You'd have thought there was a spot for him. Extremely disappointing. Reckon this tugs at the fabric of the club a little bit.

Just occaisionally, you need to reward great club men and give them a little leeway because of what they can ultimately offer.

Maguire deserved one more year - if he couldn't get it right in that 12 months, then it would have been acceptable to release him.

Couldn't agree more.......
I hope he gets picked up in one of the drafts

Maybe the bolded part could apply to Ball as well :shock:
Last edited by MCG-Unit on Thu 29 Oct 2009 5:52pm, edited 1 time in total.

Your servants shall hold her stones dear, and have pity on her dust :shock:
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Maybe he wants to try his luck in the draft, we did offer him a 12 month contract didn't we?
Well I certainly hope we did, it's the least he deserves. He'll get a go somewhere else and I suspect he could do very well.

Maybe someone else has offered him better coin already; there is that possibility and in that case you can't really blame anyone. Still, I'd be shattered if the club has cut him outright.

How is Leigh Fisher still on the list, by the way?

chook23
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:
SainterK wrote:Maybe he wants to try his luck in the draft, we did offer him a 12 month contract didn't we?
Well I certainly hope we did, it's the least he deserves. He'll get a go somewhere else and I suspect he could do very well.

Maybe someone else has offered him better coin already; there is that possibility and in that case you can't really blame anyone. Still, I'd be shattered if the club has cut him outright.

contracted

saint4life
Saint Bev
SS Life Member

Not happy about this, though not totally surprised, just tops of a s*** day.

Qld Saints Supporter Group
Bardon Saint
Club Player

I was hoping that goose would be our number 1 back-up tall defender now that hudghton has gone. Who will fill this spot now?

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

sad day. he was going to be anything. tough, courageous.

perhaps he's been let go for his own good.

S.A Saint
Club Player

Bardon Saint wrote:I was hoping that goose would be our number 1 back-up tall defender now that hudghton has gone. Who will fill this spot now?
thats a good question...if say zac or fisher went down..not sure who from our back stocks could step up and fill in the roles...Miles maybe

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:

I think he may be going somewhere else....which is fine of course.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/st ... 22,00.html

St Kilda has all-but brokered a deal with Fremantle for quick midfielder Brett Peake, 26, who requested a trade after five years with the Dockers.

Injury prone St Kilda defender Matt Maguire has been offered a one-year deal to stay.

Maguire, who has attracted interest from several clubs, has played just 14 senior games in the past three seasons due to three serious leg and foot fractures.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

So Leigh Fisher signed a three-year deal at the end of 2007?

It's the only way he could be contracted for 2010.

That can't be right. Surely.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Lovely..the Facebook announcement is already full of "Why is Raph on the list still and we cut Goose"???

Gawd some people should have to sit an exam before being let into games :roll:

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor