Bad luck Roo.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

F_Q_F
Club Player

Bad luck Roo.

Tough luck big guy.

I imagine its going to be a tough week and all the "experts" are going to come clawing out of the woodwork.

I'm sure that the champion player he is he will learn from it.

#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Bad luck Roo.

F_Q_F wrote:Tough luck big guy.

I imagine its going to be a tough week and all the "experts" are going to come clawing out of the woodwork.

I'm sure that the champion player he is he will learn from it.

He'll reply in the best possible way:

BY BEING THE 2ND ST KILDA CAPTAIN TO HOLD THE PREMIERSHIP CUP ALOFT ON GRANDFINAL DAY!!!!

that'll show em

saintjake
Club Player

HE WILL RESPOND BY KICKING THE WINNING GOAL AFTER THE SIREN ON GRANDFINAL DAY!

Beej
Saintsational Legend

I worry about what something like this will do to his confidence.

As soon as the siren sounded he grimaced didn't he? I mean, his head was down at the time but he grimaced.

I thought he rushed it, just wanted to get it over and done with, and never really looked like he would kick it.

Marchin' In
Club Player

OLB wrote:I worry about what something like this will do to his confidence.

As soon as the siren sounded he grimaced didn't he? I mean, his head was down at the time but he grimaced.

I thought he rushed it, just wanted to get it over and done with, and never really looked like he would kick it.
I must admit, that's what popped into my head first. I hope his confidence isn't knocked about by it.

UP THE SAINTERS!
nabby7
Club Player

nose to toes rooey
nose to toes

mbogo
SS Hall of Fame

Seriously, he did not look like he had the right internal dialogue happening "I can DO this - we ARE gonna nail this" he looked rushed - and did not compose himself.

This is a team game and there is no room for individuals who think they are above walking through the fire.
doggerel
Club Player

I haven;t seen the kick (left Early!). Where did he take the mark and what sort of kick did he put on it?

St Kilda Social Club member since 1996
Marchin' In
Club Player

40 out on a 45 degree angle, hooked his runup and sprayed it off the the right.

UP THE SAINTERS!
reincarnated

Not good enough as he is paid to kick goals and win matches

That being said everyone doesn't do what they are meant to do in their workplace at times and he should not be blamed

FullMonty
Club Player

Bad luck Roo.
It should never come down to the last kick but it did.
You are either hero or not but the side looked flat for half the game.

No major injuries, so lets move on!
The monkey is off the back now and the mission is incomplete.

Lets keep the great season going.

Montyrules!
#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

doggerel wrote:I haven;t seen the kick (left Early!). Where did he take the mark and what sort of kick did he put on it?

Left early from one of the games of the season!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

nobody should scapegoat him for this.

if we were serious about winning, we wouldn't have bummed around for 3 quarters and left it to the last second.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
mullet
Saintsational Legend

Doesnt matter what anyone says, no one will be belting up Roo more than Roo himself. Look out next week

doggerel
Club Player

#1GILL wrote:
doggerel wrote:I haven;t seen the kick (left Early!). Where did he take the mark and what sort of kick did he put on it?

Left early from one of the games of the season!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:
What can I say? My 6 year old had never seen a loss and was bawling when we were 7 goals down. Figured it was best for all concerned.

St Kilda Social Club member since 1996
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

sh*t happens. the game was lost well and truly before that final kick for goal and riewoldt wasn't to blame.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

I only hope Riewoldt doesn't let this effect him going forward. Couldn't care less about the game....Just hope Roo maintains his belief in front of goal.

Legendary
Club Player

bigcarl wrote:sh*t happens. the game was lost well and truly before that final kick for goal and riewoldt wasn't to blame.
Exactly.

And there are about 4 blokes in the AFL who actually would have been able to take that mark ... was bloody incredible.

Saintschampions08
Club Player

Sainternist wrote:nobody should scapegoat him for this.

if we were serious about winning, we wouldn't have bummed around for 3 quarters and left it to the last second.
Exactly.

We were only let into the game thanks to the bombers injuries...we didn't deserve a win. (Though the fact we didn't give up shows how much better a team we are now)

<300 possessions, have had extremely low possession counts since the Sydney game.

296 V Essendon (compared to their 375)
341 V Hawthorn
324 V Sydney

A large number of players had shocking games, Riewoldt's miss is nothing in the scheme of things.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

He just needed to take his required time, and try to calm his nerves. He will learn, and grow from this....we all know that.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

I will say two things about it. First, he was physically exhausted in the last quarter, more than I have ever seen him in any game. Kicking in such a state is very difficult; his legs would feel like lumps of wood. Second, we lacked a leader at the crucial time - and I don't mean Nick. Someone else should have gone to him and told him to take his time. If a player was talking to him the umpire would have had to clear the area. He could have asked a couple of times where the mark was. He could have pointed to players he thought were too close. He could have and should have delayed it. In fact, I have never been sure about the rule in this circumstance, despite having read the laws many times. Clearly, there can be no time wasting. So why not take five minutes? Well, players would not risk it. But based on what rule would the umpire take the ball off him? perhaps it is covered under interpretations some where. As it turned out he was the least best player to take the kick given his state of exhaustion. Which raises another question. Almost all the players who missed last week looked tired. Let's hope no-one else is rested from here on.

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

ohwhenthesaints! wrote:He just needed to take his required time, and try to calm his nerves. He will learn, and grow from this....we all know that.
Yes, he never took the required time and for a captain that is amazing...

Most would have thought that being a Captain he would have taken the time after the siren and do the Captain thing..

I lost some money on this and it was my first bet this season...

Not at all happy, when the ball is in the hands of our Captain and he failed to deliver the result in which most Captains should do.

He better learn from this, because it may cost us the ultimate prize, and there will be NO FORGIVENESS THEN

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

St Fidelius wrote:
ohwhenthesaints! wrote:He just needed to take his required time, and try to calm his nerves. He will learn, and grow from this....we all know that.
Yes, he never took the required time and for a captain that is amazing...

Most would have thought that being a Captain he would have taken the time after the siren and do the Captain thing..

I lost some money on this and it was my first bet this season...

Not at all happy, when the ball is in the hands of our Captain and he failed to deliver the result in which most Captains should do.

He better learn from this, because it may cost us the ultimate prize, and there will be NO FORGIVENESS THEN
We are all dissappointed St Fid....

ace
Saintsational Legend

It has nothing to do with luck.
It has all to do with technique.

Sadly Roo never learns from his mistakes.
He hunches over the ball and then just as he releases the ball he throws his upper body backwards as he kicks the ball. :roll:
He needs to have his whole body weight come through the ball.
The difference between a great player and the best ever.

A forwards first job is to kick goals especially after the final siren to win the match.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Was down the Lockett end before the game and missed every single shot from that position.

He just doesn't score from that angle.

For anyone wanting to critisise him

1) He had just busted his guts for 2 hours

2) The mark was an absolute gem

3) It was adifficult kick that was 50/50.

Bad luck Roo.

As RL said if he had of kicked it - it may have covered up what our defeciencies were.

Anyway Essendon deserved to win. If they didn't have three on the pine all last qtr they would have won by 5 goals.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)