Drop Raph

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Aussie Bears
Club Player

Drop Raph

Someone had to do it

A year that doesn't end in frustration...please
Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

why?

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
felixleo
Club Player

Knew it was coming sooner or later.

Are you gonna be the one?
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Raph Fiennes that is. Yep, hasn't made a good flick in years!

saint_mite
SS Hall of Fame

can we keep his shoulder?

Richter
SS Life Member

Showed today why RL was right to persist with him. Played beautifully bringing the ball out of defence. Best game from him since the final vs Collingwood last year.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
doggerel
Club Player

I really liked the way he went for some marks today in situations where in the past he might have double-fisted it away.

I thought his first half was pretty ordinary actually, but everyone else seems glowing, so perhaps I have got that wrong. No doubt he played a really good second half though.

I hope he gets back to the consistency he showed at the end of last season - that would be a real bonus leading into the finals.

St Kilda Social Club member since 1996
ChelseaGuy
Club Player

Thought Raph had a great game today. Worked hard, kept the pressure on and seemed to back himself today

saintly_safes
Club Player

I thought Raph was pretty good today but i dont think you can say he had a blinder but he was towing the party line & thats what its all about. The game was in hand at half time so the presure wasnt as intense as the Geelong or Eagles game but he will get a gig next week no worries at all.

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

played well today

Saint Bev
SS Life Member

Interesting, even my friend who absoloutely loves him, thought he was ordinary. He can get the ball ok, and can do some nice tackles, but he just poops himself when it comes time to get rid of the ball. Sorry, just calling it the way I see it :)

Qld Saints Supporter Group
derby Street
Club Player

Saint Bev wrote:Interesting, even my friend who absoloutely loves him, thought he was ordinary. He can get the ball ok, and can do some nice tackles, but he just poops himself when it comes time to get rid of the ball. Sorry, just calling it the way I see it :)
Watched it twice - sorry never noticed that

Thought he was pretty good - did some nice things where he attacked the ball, a couple of knock ons - a big improvement on his first half against Weagles. He should be allowed to play next Saturday :D

SainterX
Club Player

Surprised Raph did not get cited too for rough conduct given Zac did.

Can someone say Vendetta? :lol:

A true king doesn't glass his girlfriend.
A true king doesn't smear his blood on an opponent when he cannot break a tag.
A true king does not label umpires disgraceful.
A true king is Robert Harvey.
Beej
Saintsational Legend

Saint Bev wrote:Interesting, even my friend who absoloutely loves him, thought he was ordinary. He can get the ball ok, and can do some nice tackles, but he just poops himself when it comes time to get rid of the ball. Sorry, just calling it the way I see it :)
I've been a critic over the last couple of weeks but I couldn't fault him for his performance on Sunday.

Didn't do a thing wrong IMO and got very busy at different stages. Was composed with the footy and kept it simple which is exactly what he needs to do. Also, on a couple of occasions, really put his body on the line which was terrific.

Although, any one who has played competitive sport will tell you that it's a lot easier to turn it on when you're 10 goals up and cruising compared to when a game is in the balance.

In saying that, however, Raph would know very well that a poor performance could see him out of the side in what could be a premiership year and that is a huge amount of pressure in itself so credit where credit is due. Took a big step forward.

Bulldogs will be another litmus test for Raph and a few others who are looking to cement their spot in the side.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

good game from raph......

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
degruch
Saintsational Legend

Geez you're hard to please Bev...you and your friend should have a look at the reply, I think you'll find it's a pretty good game from Wrecking Ball Raph. If not, we can just leave him in the middle of the ground for opposition players to run into. :wink:

realdeal
Club Player

And what have some of us Raph supporters been saying for the past few weeks.. give him a chance and he'll improve as his confidence returns!

whats happened the past couple of weeks...? he's gotten better and better and can brings alot to this team..yes, he's made some bloopers but the scorn he received from his first week back has been ridiculous.

walski
Club Player

stinger wrote:good game from raph......
Agreed

For the most part he was solid in the back line with one or two clangers.......

Proud of him lifted when challenged !!!!!

:D

Legendary
Club Player

Have been critical of his last two weeks, but he played very well yesterday and deserved his spot ...

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

I love supporting Raph at the games as it gets on the nerves of those around me who constantly bag him. His poor disposal cost us two goals on the weekend, however overall he had a good game . My only problem with him is that he seems to be going nowhere, and he's never going to get any better. we have many players who arent great players , but their doing the job that ross wants them too and as such look much better than they did two years ago. Raph im sure is also doing the job he is assiged each week , yet he looks no better than he was two years ago. so its getting harder to be positive about him when other players in the reserves are not getting a chance.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Raph's best game of the year.

Trend is better.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
ROLS-LEE
Club Player

just needs to stop falling over

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

mr six o'clock wrote:My only problem with him is that he seems to be going nowhere, and he's never going to get any better. we have many players who arent great players , but their doing the job that ross wants them too and as such look much better than they did two years ago. Raph im sure is also doing the job he is assiged each week , yet he looks no better than he was two years ago. so its getting harder to be positive about him when other players in the reserves are not getting a chance.
I assume that, during the second half of the 2008 season, you were travelling in a country with no TV coverage of AFL. So I'll remind you of what happened.

During 2008, Raph's inconsistent on-field output was at least partly explained at last by a diagnosis of epilepsy. He commenced treatment for his illness and, when he finally came back towards the end of the H&A season he was a changed man: attacking the ball, running hard and evasively, breaking lines, demonstrating excellent ground and overhead skills, etc.

His disposal by hand and foot remained a bit iffy, but - on the whole - he injected a heightened sense of forward momentum and attack out of the backline. During our 3 finals games he played out of his skin and was one of our best.

In round 1 against the Swans this year, he played in much the same way again, before injuring himself. When he finally got back, he was down on confidence and seemingly down on himself. Ross Lyon - who clearly has a lot more time for Raph than many on this forum - showed enormous face in bringing him back for the game of the season against Geelong. He went ok, and has improved further over the two subsequent AFL games he has played. With any luck, he will be back to his best by finals time, in which case he will be a required player.

Raph is definitely doing a lot better than he was two years ago, when he was effectively going nowhere.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Winmar7Fan
Club Player

OLB wrote:
I've been a critic over the last couple of weeks but I couldn't fault him for his performance on Sunday.

Didn't do a thing wrong IMO and got very busy at different stages. Was composed with the footy and kept it simple which is exactly what he needs to do. Also, on a couple of occasions, really put his body on the line which was terrific.

Although, any one who has played competitive sport will tell you that it's a lot easier to turn it on when you're 10 goals up and cruising compared to when a game is in the balance.

In saying that, however, Raph would know very well that a poor performance could see him out of the side in what could be a premiership year and that is a huge amount of pressure in itself so credit where credit is due. Took a big step forward.

Bulldogs will be another litmus test for Raph and a few others who are looking to cement their spot in the side.

Said it all for me. But credit where it's due played a good game and a definite difference to previous weeks.

Duggie
Club Player

I have been a Raph fan all along but his opposition was weak last Sunday to the point that all of our boys stood out with perhaps one exception IMO- Kozzi.
But the heat will be on against the Doggies and I expect the claws and fangs will reappear for Raph. :lol:

A Saint Forever!