Saints Walk of Fame

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Saints Walk of Fame

I think down at Seaford, seeing as they're building anyway and all, that they should create a 'Saints Walk of Fame'.

Basically, a section of pavement that has a plaque or something for every person who has ever played a senior game of footy for the St Kilda Footy Club.

And for those that are still with us (ie. alive) they should cast their handprints in it.

Huge acknowledgement to those who have bled and sweated for the jumper, and a great way to stamp something 'Saintly' on the ground from day 1.

When a player debuts, forget the old jumper presso - there'd be a Hollywood'esque 'imprinting of the hands' instead!

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

What a brilliant idea. :idea:

Why not email Michael Nettlefold and suggest it to him?

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

How much would this cost?

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

maybe not every player but maybe every player thats played 100 games?? Great idea Rodg

shmic_s
Club Player

top idea rodger.

like the idea of players who have played 100+ games. cost would be the big factor......

Beej
Saintsational Legend

Not sure about the hand print idea. That sounds very Hollywood to me.

Maybe cast-iron facial molds of some of the greats of the club like you see at the tennis centre.

Imagine walking down seeing the molds of Baldock, Stewart, Lockett, Rix, Harvey, Burke, Winmar, Jayson Daniels, Barker.

I would be in awe.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: Saints Walk of Fame

rodgerfox wrote:And for those that are still with us (ie. alive) they should cast their handprints in it.
in loewe's case that will cost us too much in cement. but good thinking roger.

Beej
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:And for those that are still with us (ie. alive) they should cast their handprints in it.
in loewe's case that will cost us too much in cement. but good thinking roger.
Haha well played

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Nice idea, I like it....

bozza1980
Club Player

I think it's a great idea.

At Suncorp Stadium in Brisbane they have something similar for every State of Origin player to represent Queensland.

It's a great way to mark the territory and honour former saints in one big effort.

BakesFan
SS Life Member

Awesome idea, RF!
Acknowledgement of every 100+ player... and something extra special for the '66 team, our Brownlow Medallists, and our Coleman Medallists.

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.(Eleanor Roosevelt)
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

BakesFan wrote:Awesome idea, RF!
Acknowledgement of every 100+ player... and something extra special for the '66 team, our Brownlow Medallists, and our Coleman Medallists.
maybe a differant coloured brick?

do they go onto the walk when they get to 100 or just when they finish career?

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
asiu

huge idea mr fox

pearler

saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

ohwhenthesaints! wrote:Nice idea, I like it....
Ditto..email it to the club 8-)

Never take a backward step even to gain momentum.....

'It's OK to have the capabilities and abilities, but you've got to get it done." Terry Daniher 05

"We have beauty in our captain and we have a true leader in our coach. Our time will come"
Thinline.Post 09 Grand final.
ozrulestrace
SS Hall of Fame

And side by side from the various players pavers around the new social club, they could do something like Geelong and allow supporters like us purchase a paver and have our names engraved in celebration of all the Saints supporters.

VietNam_Saint
Club Player

It's a good fund-raiser in the Country when building a new community hall of changerooms/clubrooms or something.

Buy a brick.

A brick would cost say $20 and have your name on it ,,,

Although I get plaques here made for about $2AUD ,, have to be sure however they were done was cheap enough to allow the majority of money to go to the building.

Of course , only the bricks in prominent shown areas would be the "sale" bricks.

What will be next from this club ?
SaintDebi
Club Player

Fantastic idea Rodger!

jk23
Club Player

VietNam_Saint wrote:It's a good fund-raiser in the Country when building a new community hall of changerooms/clubrooms or something.

Buy a brick.

A brick would cost say $20 and have your name on it ,,,

Although I get plaques here made for about $2AUD ,, have to be sure however they were done was cheap enough to allow the majority of money to go to the building.

Of course , only the bricks in prominent shown areas would be the "sale" bricks.
New richmond members get their name on a brick at punt road ( someone told me a few years back ) not sure if it still happens, But I think it's a good idea for all members it owuld be great at our new home!

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

Buying a brick is a great idea, however the new place at Seaford will probably be made with pre faricated concrete, so maybe we could get the local graffitist's to put peoples "tags" on instead.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

ozrulestrace wrote:And side by side from the various players pavers around the new social club, they could do something like Geelong and allow supporters like us purchase a paver and have our names engraved in celebration of all the Saints supporters.
What new social club?

The Social Club stays at Moorabbin for another 35 years.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:I think down at Seaford, seeing as they're building anyway and all, that they should create a 'Saints Walk of Fame'.

Basically, a section of pavement that has a plaque or something for every person who has ever played a senior game of footy for the St Kilda Footy Club.

And for those that are still with us (ie. alive) they should cast their handprints in it.

Huge acknowledgement to those who have bled and sweated for the jumper, and a great way to stamp something 'Saintly' on the ground from day 1.

When a player debuts, forget the old jumper presso - there'd be a Hollywood'esque 'imprinting of the hands' instead!
The club has flagged a similar-ish idea in private, albeit for a "named brick" which you could purchase.

I've suggested it before that we should definitely go down the path (pun intended :wink:) of what Essendon has done at Windy Hill. Or at least something similar.

However, the Hollywood brick idea with the imprinted hands is a sensational one.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

OLB wrote:Not sure about the hand print idea. That sounds very Hollywood to me.

Maybe cast-iron facial molds of some of the greats of the club like you see at the tennis centre.

Imagine walking down seeing the molds of Baldock, Stewart, Lockett, Rix, Harvey, Burke, Winmar, Jayson Daniels, Barker.

I would be in awe.
How can no-one have picked up the mention of Rix. I nearly spat my drink out laughing!!

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
saintly
Saintsational Legend

OLB wrote:Not sure about the hand print idea. That sounds very Hollywood to me.

I would be in awe.
that would be hugely expensive.

however, i do like the idea of a walk of fame, handprints, for those who played more than a certain number of games.

how about 50 games ?

markinUSA
SS Life Member

I agree, wonderful idea thanks.
I also agree with the 50 game issue - if it's good enough to be recognized by the club, players and cheersquad... and it is... then it's good enough for a walk of fame style thing.
Also, there are people who've been cruely struck down by injury who might have been your favourite, but who played over 50 and less than 100 due to injury. Jason Cripps comes to mind. And one of our most famous, Colin Watson, was another.

"Don't give up, never give up" - Robert Harvey.
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

The 'buy a brick' thing is clearly just a money generator. And I see it that way.

I'm a supporter, and having my name on a brick outside the club because I paid for it, is actually a bit lame really.

But for players who have bled for the club, it would be a great way to recognise them, and let the supporters remember them too.

It'd be great to pay a visit and reminisce when seeing the names and handprints of Micky Dwyer, Frank Coghlan, Brett Bowey, Chris Stone, Jeff Dunne and Rod Owen.

Guys who are often forgotten once they retire, but bought us plenty of joy and entertainment when we were kids.

Surely someone out there would be keen to sponsor it and have their name plastered all over it when it's opened and every time someone gets their handprint casted!