This week is more important than next!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

This week is more important than next!

There is no doubt in my mind that our last three matches showed an element of "tiredness" in our game. Whilst there was a physical aspect to this, I think that the main component was mental. This, more than anything, accounted for the skill errors that we saw in these games that were noticeably absent in the first 9 games.

Being able to be mentally up for 12 weeks for 12 wins is just an enormous task, which is why it had only been done 5 times before in VFL/AFL history. We all know that "shock" losses by a more highly skilled team are more about mental approach than anything else.

So, from these points of view, the break came at just the right time. But the break in itself will not automatically readjust the players to dominating form. No doubt the coaching staff have been working to "reset" the team for a long run home.

Despite being 4 games and 50% clear of third placed Footscray, nothing can be taken for granted. In 2004, we lost 4 of the last ten when it also seemed inconceivable mid way through the year that we would not make the top two. Now whilst the likelihood of history repeating itself is low, it could happen.

So rather than the Geelong game, I see our game against Richmond as more important and not just because of the "one week at a time" mantra. It is clearly a game we should win and win well. What will be our approach? Renewed backline confidence to match that we saw against Adelaide, Port, Footscray and Freo? I hope so. Whilst any win will be a good win, HOW we win could well tell us more about our season from here on.

Long term dedicated Saints fans have learnt to be nervous despite the opinions of unbiased observers. And we have another three games to go without an experienced back up ruckman for Michael Gardiner and that is going to put added pressure on the rest of the team right across the field.
So, let the nerves begin.

Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

Yep, I agree Perfectionist. Nerves are part and parcel of being a Saint supporter. Whilst everything certainly looks rosy, I cant help but wonder whats around the corner. Hopefully a top two finish, and a genuine crack at our first flag in 43 years.

thirty-seven!?
Club Player

Very true indeed...

Remember back to last year, Western Bulldogs were in a similar position, only to come back from the break and lose something like 3 of their next 5...

It is then clearly hard to get back into form for the finals...

stinger
Saintsational Legend

i saw the tigers live last week...they are not very good...

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Cats game is far far more important that the Tigers game IMO.

Lose to the Tigers and it will just be marked off as an aberation.

Get thrashed by the Cata and it could end our season.

Win, lose or draw..we need to be up for the ctas game and put ina good effort.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Mon 22 Jun 2009 10:28pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Sainterone
Club Player

I figure the tiggers will be worth about half a game - that makes us 12 and a bit wins. They have won one in a row... that's it for them I reckon.

It's also half way to where we should finish the season - 25 W in a row. :D

GO SAINTS

NICK RIEWOLDT - 444 GOALS FROM 200 MATCHES
STEPHEN MILNE - 440 GOALS FROM 216 MATCHES
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Bit of a worry then for the last game in September if we start tiring after 12 games,we may well be exhausted by then....that's more than 12 games away.....

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote:Bit of a worry then for the last game in September if we start tiring after 12 games,we may well be exhausted by then....that's more than 12 games away.....
Yes but the advantage we have over every other side except Geelong is we have wrapped up a top 4 spot so training can be adjusted to make sure we are right come finals time.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Get thrashed by the Ctas and it could end our season.
If we lose to Richmond there will be people writing our season off trust me..whereas a loss to Geelong of any margin isnt the end of the world I dont think..just as a decisive win means little comes finals time bar perhaps a little bit of mental confidence

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

Very good Post perfectionist.

Articulated my fear of this weekend... :?

The concern is that the players will subconsciously be thinking about the following week...

Sure Ross and his assistants will be all over this and ramming home the message bigtime.

You almost feel we are due for some sort of downer or change of luck but that is just the old pessimist patrick who has seen too many seasons come off the rails :roll:

Really should start trusting this mob...they are already in unchatered territory with 12 straight wins...

...believe or burn damn you :shock: :twisted:

Never take a backward step even to gain momentum.....

'It's OK to have the capabilities and abilities, but you've got to get it done." Terry Daniher 05

"We have beauty in our captain and we have a true leader in our coach. Our time will come"
Thinline.Post 09 Grand final.
clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Nah i think geelong is the important one

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
Raven
Club Player

I don't think we'll be any more tired come September if we win rather than lose. We're still playing football which is tiring in itself, regardless of the outcome of the match.

Our intensity has dropped in the last month or so as a few have said, but we've still won. Had we lost any of those games, we'd still be just as tired.

Keep in mind all the other teams will be exhausted towards the end of the season also. It's not as if they're purposely conserving energy just to take us out.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:

Get thrashed by the Ctas and it could end our season.
If we lose to Richmond there will be people writing our season off trust me..whereas a loss to Geelong of any margin isnt the end of the world I dont think..just as a decisive win means little comes finals time bar perhaps a little bit of mental confidence
a loss to geelong by a big margin ie over 40 points, maybe the end of the world as it may scar the players. mental disintergration.

a loss by a small margin, won't harm the saints. a win, to the saints may wake geelong up !

spert
Saintsational Legend

I watched the Saints v Blues game and then watched the Richmond v WCE that weekend, and the standard of Richmond's (and WCE) skills and talent is just that much lower than the Saints that you can see why one is on top and the others down the bottom end of the ladder.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Richmond have won 2 of their last 3 and with the excitement of Rawlings there now and Cousins doing well, they are not to be underestimated. They will have been really focused on this game for 2 weeks, whereas our guys may have had half an eye on the Geelong game and half on the finals etc. They and we need to be more focused on this week.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:Cats game is far far more important that the Tigers game IMO.

Get thrashed by the Cata and it could end our season.

Win, lose or draw..we need to be up for the ctas game and put ina good effort.
Bloody oath you are spot on.

We should play at 80% against the Tiges and win by only 3 goals - which is within our reach and should also be able to be achieved without injury risk increasing!

By doing this, it effectively gives the players an even longer break, and sets us up as a fitter, fresher unit against Geelong.

Make no mistake - if you think the boys really wanted to beat the Beggars, you aint seen nothing when we play the Cats!

Sure, it's only 4 points and beating Geelong means zilch as far as winning the flag - but we really need a "win" against Geelong to put a few demons to rest.

reincarnated

The Geelong game is wee bit more important due to the ladder position of both the cats/tigers

geez logic flies out the window when someone creates a theory that makes them feel a tad clever

Thomas
Club Player

Agree with your post very well constructed, we had a break and we shall be refreshed, the mental tiredness was due to outside pressure from media and fans (for & against), who were not satisfied with winning, but expected us to smash everybody by a hundred points.

When the going gets tough,the tough gets going.

CARN THE SAINTS.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

Thomas wrote:Agree with your post very well constructed, we had a break and we shall be refreshed, the mental tiredness was due to outside pressure from media and fans (for & against), who were not satisfied with winning, but expected us to smash everybody by a hundred points.
not sure i agree...the game against carlsum was hard and tough...one of the games of the season...we did what we needed to do to win ..in the face of good strong and committed opposition......it really meant a lot to the blues......they were devastated to lose......we had the best four or five players on the ground ..but the ball seemed to folloe the opposition at times......the final scores were close but we were clearly the better side......we didn't look mentally tired to me.....maybe we switched off a bit twice when we got 4 to 5 goals ahead.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

Round 12, 2007. Nine teams were within two games of each other at the top of the ladder. The Saints languished in 12th spot with a win-loss of 5-7.

Round 12, 2008. Two teams on top with 11-1 and a third team half a game behind, and two and a half games clear of the pack. The Saints languished in 10th spot with a win-loss of 5-7.

Don't undersell the position of 12-0 and four games clear! This is a massive achievement.

Some more food for thought. What the Saints managed after last year's split round would be the equivalent of the Sydney Swans edging the pack for a fourth spot finish this year.

The Saints have excelled in the last 12 months.

DJKCR
Club Player

I am more concerned with the game against West Coast as I am going to the game and I have to live over here and listen to all the fallout if we lose. Also it is the first time I am taking the little fella to the footy. Would really like a victory over here.

"I don't roll on Shabbas" Walter Sobchak
marksnsparks
Club Player

Re: This week is more important than next!

perfectionist wrote:So, from these points of view, the break came at just the right time. But the break in itself will not automatically readjust the players to dominating form. No doubt the coaching staff have been working to "reset" the team for a long run home.
I'm not sure the 'break came at the right time'. I think it's more that we paced ourselves to just fall over the line that was the mid-year break.

Hopefully the rest has us reset and ready to fire. The encouraging thing is that under RL's tenure, we tend to finish seasons stronger than we start them, so this must surely be a source of hope!

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

InkerSaint wrote:Round 12, 2007. Nine teams were within two games of each other at the top of the ladder. The Saints languished in 12th spot with a win-loss of 5-7.

Round 12, 2008. Two teams on top with 11-1 and a third team half a game behind, and two and a half games clear of the pack. The Saints languished in 10th spot with a win-loss of 5-7.

Don't undersell the position of 12-0 and four games clear! This is a massive achievement.

Some more food for thought. What the Saints managed after last year's split round would be the equivalent of the Sydney Swans edging the pack for a fourth spot finish this year.

The Saints have excelled in the last 12 months.
Well put.

Quixote
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
bobmurray wrote:Bit of a worry then for the last game in September if we start tiring after 12 games,we may well be exhausted by then....that's more than 12 games away.....
Yes but the advantage we have over every other side except Geelong is we have wrapped up a top 4 spot so training can be adjusted to make sure we are right come finals time.
Like the Doggies did last year?

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Quixote wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Like the Doggies did last year?
No like Hawthorn did.