Too many weak links and passengers

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

Too many weak links and passengers

I honestly believe that we need to introduce some X factor into this team or it will run out of steam, as there are some players that are being carried by the herculean efforts of others.

The weak links are R. Clarke, Baker, Gwilt and Blake!

McEvoy and Armitage need game time as they potentially could raise the standard if they sieze an opportunity, McEvoy will get one next week,

I'd also get Armitage into the team asap at the expense of Baker, who is currently looking very dodgy, beaten for hard balls, outmarked, out bussled, fumbles, over runs the ball and making very poor decisions, etc...etc...

give the kid a go and let him show Baker what going for a hard ball really means, seems he's forgotten,

R Clarke, just disgraceful, spectates, insipid, poor foot skills and poor ball handling skills,

Gwilt will get found out, being carried, there is absolutely no danger of Gwilt ever smothering a ball off the boot, he makes a token half effort to close down the opponent and then waist high put a couple of arms out just to give the impression that he's made an effort, because he knows he'd get dragged if he didn't, but there's no danger of him ever actually spoiling a footy off an opponent's boot,
HELLO ROSS, THIS IS A PATTERN, this has been happening all year, not just last night, waltzes around like he's on a Sunday picnic and lacks intensity in his defensive efforts,
I'm very surprised that this has not been noticed, or if it has, why he's still in the team, should have been dropped 6 weeks ago!

Blake, just way too clumsy and unco, far too often!

INS
McEvoy
Armitage
Maguire
Hudghton
Milne

OUTS
Gardiner ( suspended )
Baker
R. Clarke
Gwilt
Blake

Shake things up, get some fresh faces, new opportunities and potential X factors so we can take things to a whole new level and we need to, because this current combination will run out of steam.

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Out of the ins I only think Maguire, Hudghton and Milne have enough experience to make an impact greater than their respective outs.

McEvoy and Armitage are still learning their craft.

Out of the outs....I believe in Clarke, he will improve and will become an asset. And I can see what Ross is trying to do with Gwilt.....But its just a case of Gwilt taking the next step, the last few weeks have been stagnate.

Baker has taken some time, and it hurts just to write that....will be regain the heights he once achieved?

Blake has been servicable and useful - but definitely lacks class compared to other defenders available.

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

raph was woeful. His whole career bar 4 or 5 games has been based on "hell improve" . Carrying him will result in dropping games. Has to go back to the two's.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

iwantmeseats wrote:raph was woeful. His whole career bar 4 or 5 games has been based on "hell improve" . Carrying him will result in dropping games. Has to go back to the two's.

Its just that those 4-5 games all came at the end of last season.....Thats what has me believing at the moment.

karnak
Club Player

Raph needs to stay in the team. He should be given until the break, he has some runs on the boards wrt finals games and rd1 2009. He is a game breaker, down on confidence. I dare say X's impact would be having an impact on Raph. Bit concerned about the body at the moment.

Sam Gilbert you are an EXCITEMENT MACHINE!
barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

karnak wrote:Raph needs to stay in the team. He is a game breaker,
I agree he is a game breaker, only problem is that it's not us it will benefit!

tezza1
Club Player

Barks3eva is spot on.

You have picked the weak links that will let down the team under pressure.

The weakness is glossed over when the team wins but will be magnified when the game is a close one.

Continual improvement is what will win us a flag . We should not rest on
our laurels because we have 10 in a row. Lets get even better .

Go Sainters !!!!!
Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

I've been an advocate for maintaining the faith with the team that has gotten us to 10 zip however I do see some real value and truth in what Barks posted.

I still believe that Raph just needs a few more weeks in the big league before we judge him. He was fantastic late last year after getting some consistent game time.

I reckon there is a couple of blokes on cruise control at the minute which is a concern as it won't be that simple to put the afterburners back on when it suits.

Lenny & a few others are still playing like every game is the GF.

I would agree with Barks about his in & outs except that I would keep Raph & drop Mini (who has dropped off considerably IMO).

And after last night's effort Gram would be very fortunate to retain his spot. Still no intensity & poor decision making.

Real competition for spots means dropping under performers & reward good performers. This 3 week stint before the Cats game is a very opportune time to send the message to all & sundry that less than 100% is not acceptable.
Last edited by Animal Enclosure on Sun 31 May 2009 8:31pm, edited 1 time in total.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Interesting to see Blake and Baker join the list of whipping boys favoured by the ratbag element on this forum. I mean, we expect Gwilt and Raph to get jumped on (of course, Plugger66, I know it's got nothing to do with their being black: just a coincidence).

But I would have seen Blake and Baker as two of the more consistently honest toilers in the St Kilda vineyard over the past decade. However, it would seem that McEvoy and Armitage have done enough to supplant these two legends of the club. I'm not sure where they did it: it certainly wasn't playing for the Saints or the Zebras.

Presumably they displayed their amazing talent in a special place that only B4E and iwantmyseats have access to (possibly a circus: after all, that's where you find the clowns, isn't it?).

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

oh , my sides! :D

raph is my only concern.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:Interesting to see Blake and Baker join the list of whipping boys favoured by the ratbag element on this forum. I mean, we expect Gwilt and Raph to get jumped on (of course, Plugger66, I know it's got nothing to do with their being black: just a coincidence).

But I would have seen Blake and Baker as two of the more consistently honest toilers in the St Kilda vineyard over the past decade. However, it would seem that McEvoy and Armitage have done enough to supplant these two legends of the club. I'm not sure where they did it: it certainly wasn't playing for the Saints or the Zebras.

Presumably they displayed their amazing talent in a special place that only B4E and iwantmyseats have access to (possibly a circus: after all, that's where you find the clowns, isn't it?).

Anyone who people suggest should be dropped is instantly dealt the 'whipping boy' card.

And it seems that the word 'Legend' is one that is being used way too loosely recently.

tezza1
Club Player

I see meher babble is at it again .

What I want to see is my team get even better !!!!!!!

Because Im sure the opposition arent sitting on their backsides being happy with their lot .

And I think the saints can get better with some juggling of personel that are HONEST TOILERS.

Go Sainters !!!!!
kaos theory
Club Player

B4E -

Armo really hasn't done that much in the vfl. Read the reports and he hasn't set the world on fire. He is a solid 'in and under type', but we have Ball playing that role. He also is not that quick.

Out of your group Maxy, and of course milne, are the only players that would bring real improvement to the team that played last night.

Goose is a solid mark & brings hardness, but is also on the slow side.

Yes, there are some concerns with the form of blake baker & raph, BUT raph has had only two game, will get a lot better, and up till a few weeks ago blake & baker were pretty good. I think baker is under more threat...

Also, Eddy would get a game before Armo....

Finna
Club Player

I honestly believe that we need to introduce some X factor into this team or it will run out of steam, as there are some players that are being carried by the herculean efforts of others.

The weak links are R. Clarke, Baker, Gwilt and Blake!

McEvoy and Armitage need game time as they potentially could raise the standard if they sieze an opportunity, McEvoy will get one next week,

I'd also get Armitage into the team asap at the expense of Baker, who is currently looking very dodgy, beaten for hard balls, outmarked, out bussled, fumbles, over runs the ball and making very poor decisions, etc...etc...

give the kid a go and let him show Baker what going for a hard ball really means, seems he's forgotten,

R Clarke, just disgraceful, spectates, insipid, poor foot skills and poor ball handling skills,

Gwilt will get found out, being carried, there is absolutely no danger of Gwilt ever smothering a ball off the boot, he makes a token half effort to close down the opponent and then waist high put a couple of arms out just to give the impression that he's made an effort, because he knows he'd get dragged if he didn't, but there's no danger of him ever actually spoiling a footy off an opponent's boot,
HELLO ROSS, THIS IS A PATTERN, this has been happening all year, not just last night, waltzes around like he's on a Sunday picnic and lacks intensity in his defensive efforts,
I'm very surprised that this has not been noticed, or if it has, why he's still in the team, should have been dropped 6 weeks ago!

Blake, just way too clumsy and unco, far too often!

INS
McEvoy
Armitage
Maguire
Hudghton
Milne

OUTS
Gardiner ( suspended )
Baker
R. Clarke
Gwilt
Blake

Shake things up, get some fresh faces, new opportunities and potential X factors so we can take things to a whole new level and we need to, because this current combination will run out of steam.
Boring...get a life. I bet it sucks hey....

widereceiver
Club Player

A Girlong viewpoint

The weak links are Varcoe, Hawkins, Harley, Djerkurra and Blake. (Don’t watch games just read stats in the paper and you’ll see the truth of this view).
Johnston and Stokes need game time as they potentially could raise the standard if they sieze an opportunity, Someone will get one next week.
Geelong only beat Essendon by 60+ points in our 917th. win from 920 games. When St.Kilda played them last year they won by over 100, we need to introduce some X factor into this team The Sts. didn’t win by as much as the Cats in this year’s tie. Was it the short break after the Collingwood game or should they follow the view of the Dumpsters and blame R. Clarke, Baker, Gwilt and Blake?
It would be inaccurate to blame Clarke because he was not playing, nonetheless it would still be asseptable and obligatory to blame the other three. Oh stuff it, they should blame Clarke as well and don’t forget his brother, who is too injury-prone. Wholesale, profligate changes to the teams on top of the ladder is the Dumpsters way.

Dumpsters suck!

No-one says there shouldn’t be changes and that there can't and won't be improvement in the line-up, but why not be as critical in last night's game of the stars who racked up bulk cheap possessions or the ruck division who were beaten last night by Mark Freakin’ Jamar in his first game back in the ones????

Mark Freakin' Jamar!!!!!!!!
Fer Crissakes

Dumpsters suck![/size]

"Winning's not everything, it's the ONLY thing!" Vince Lombardi.
Sam Gilbert #1 booster - always on the attack!!!
Win more for Winmar
barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:Interesting to see Blake and Baker join the list of whipping boys favoured by the ratbag element on this forum. I mean, we expect Gwilt and Raph to get jumped on (of course, Plugger66, I know it's got nothing to do with their being black: just a coincidence).

Well you're the Isaac Newtown that wanted Lyon sacked this time last year and replaced with Rendell as coach, Fair Dinkum, I've heard some dipstick, dingbat drivel in my time, but you babblelots take the cake!

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Armo? Have you seen him this year barks4ever?

He is miles away from a senior game. Gave away a handful of completely undisciplined frees today.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
CeilidhSaint
Club Player

Wholesale changes? Er, no.

TB 1 - The Brightest Light on the Darkest Night - we miss you.
Think Globally, Act Sainterly
I have Phil Narkle's helmet
clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Why would you make that many changes??

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
spert
Saintsational Legend

One change only -Max in for Raph.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

widereceiver wrote:No-one says there shouldn’t be changes and that there can't and won't be improvement in the line-up, but why not be as critical in last night's game of the stars who racked up bulk cheap possessions or the ruck division who were beaten last night by Mark Freakin’ Jamar in his first game back in the ones????
don't be stupid.

both ruckmen have by and large played well all season. they were crap this week. because they have been playing well, they don't get too badly criticised after just one poor game.

but the OP is talking about players who've been consistently underperforming. this builds up to the point where they get solid criticism. it's simple, unless you're an imbecile.

"no-one says there shouldn't be changes"

so who are the players who should be changed out, in your very humble opinion?

Milton66
SS Life Member

barks4eva wrote:

Well you're the Isaac Newtown that wanted Lyon sacked this time last year and replaced with Rendell as coach, Fair Dinkum, I've heard some dipstick, dingbat drivel in my time, but you babblelots take the cake!
snap - bingo - check mate - gold :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
widereceiver
Club Player

bergholt wrote:
widereceiver wrote:No-one says there shouldn’t be changes and that there can't and won't be improvement in the line-up, but why not be as critical in last night's game of the stars who racked up bulk cheap possessions or the ruck division who were beaten last night by Mark Freakin’ Jamar in his first game back in the ones????
don't be stupid.

both ruckmen have by and large played well all season. they were crap this week. because they have been playing well, they don't get too badly criticised after just one poor game.

but the OP is talking about players who've been consistently underperforming. this builds up to the point where they get solid criticism. it's simple, unless you're an imbecile.

"no-one says there shouldn't be changes"

so who are the players who should be changed out, in your very humble opinion?
Ignoring the insults, par for the course here, I wouldn't dump four players plus one possible suspended in a team which has won ten on the trot.

IMHO, I would consider swapping Blake or Raph for Max, depending who we play. I agree with the Dumpsters that Gwilt was pretty ordinary and Bakes is yet to show his best. My point is considered team selection not DUMPING. To quote you again, it's simple unless you're an imbecile.

If I were coaching the side, behind closed doors I'd be saying to NDS that 31 cheap possessions doesn't conform to the game plan and I'd be reading the riot act to King and Gardiner about their games against Mark Jamar. I do agree they have been solid this year, particularly the latter. This week they are up against Macintosh, who's apparently back to his best. I hope they put in a lot better effort. If not perhaps the DUMBSTERS will call for Goose to play in the ruck the following week. What a fantastic idea.

"Winning's not everything, it's the ONLY thing!" Vince Lombardi.
Sam Gilbert #1 booster - always on the attack!!!
Win more for Winmar
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Just a disgrace to bring race into it in any capacity.

Cheapens your already cheap line of thinking and IMO should be banned by mods.

Sick and tired of the race card being rolled out weekly. Its a f@Rgon football discussion - Ive not read one racist over tone in this thread till you started your rot.

Time for a spell. :roll:

“Yeah….nah””
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:One change only -Max in for Raph.
Gardi will be suspended one would expect = time for Ben again

Milne should be fit to play.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....