the real ross lyon

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

the real ross lyon

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/ ... 42,00.html

MARK Stevens reveals the inside story of how St Kilda coach Ross Lyon landed the job, and the tough process of turning the Saints into a premiership contender.

IT WAS more than a standard cold shoulder. This one had icicles on it.

Instructed by poker-faced Brownlow medallist Ross Smith, the St Kilda coaching selection panel put the final four applicants through hell, one by one.

When Ross Lyon arrived for his interview, the warmth ended with the handshake.

Smith, chairman of the selection group, had told his understudies: Be disarming, give him nothing, don't respond to any body language and at all costs avoid giggling at his jokes.

Chris Bond, Guy McKenna and John Longmire, the other leading contenders, had already copped the same treatment.

etc, etc

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Now that article is a piece of 'good journalism' by Mark Stevens.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:Now that article is a piece of 'good journalism' by Mark Stevens.
another one :wink:

snoopygirl
SS Life Member

Great read.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:Now that article is a piece of 'good journalism' by Mark Stevens.
another one :wink:
as distinct from the couple of 'lazy ones' over the last couple of weeks? :)

This is the type of article I have come to expect from good journalists.

Well researched investigative journalism.

He deserves judos for this , just as , IMO, he deserved criticism for teh other 2.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Great read for Saints supporters. Thanks for posting it.

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

Butterss this week declined to expand.

"I'd rather not comment, but I'm thrilled with the way the club's going. Absolutely thrilled,'' he said.
Good on you Butterss!

Here's a guy who knows how not to fuel debate.

Milton66
SS Life Member

Great article that that should lay to rest much of the cr@p surroundung Lyon's appointment and persona.

NOTE: Much of the input cam from V2, whom Lyon delisted. Not from any of his "mates".

If true, kudos to Kenny Sheldon, another much maligned person on this forum.

Also it was interesting to see V2 state that Plan A was alwys to attack and that the players tooksome responsibility for going into defence mode. Another myth blown to bits.

...now let's see if the usual suspects come on here to try and discredit the story.

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
asiu

seems both sides get a fair rap out of that article wj

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

But I'm confused.

Didn't the anti-Lyon hate merchants tell all and sundry last year that it was Robert Walls and Robert Walls alone who had corrupted the process and got Lyon selected???

Where are these knobs now?

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
bigred
Saintsational Legend

InkerSaint wrote:

"I'd rather not comment, but I'm thrilled with the way the club's going. Absolutely thrilled,'' he said.
Good on you Butterss!

Yeah for once.....

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
remboy
SS Hall of Fame

Given how well they say he performed in the interview it's interesting that he didn't land a job before we got him. He'd been an assistant for 10 years so it's not as though he didn't have an opportunity. Still, glad that we got him when we did.

walski
Club Player

InkerSaint wrote:

Good on you Butterss!

haha I think it would be different if the club wasn't traveling so well.... imo

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

gazrat wrote:seems both sides get a fair rap out of that article wj
ya reckon :roll:

amateur hour lasted for five and a half years
also the onslaught of new information that tested the players.

"It certainly went to a different level. It was a change for the playing group, trying to adapt to that information,'' Fraser said.
"Thommo had strong beliefs. He reaffirmed that it was about attitude, winning the hard ball and putting your body on the line for the team,'' he said.
Well strike me down, FAIR DINKUM, sounds like this guy reinvented the wheel, must be a genuis, who would have thought of that, what we only paid him $500,000 a year, christ a bargain at half the price, FAIR DINKUM!
Fraser blamed the ninth-placed finish on Lyon being burdened with some of the structures of the past.

"We knew we needed to get the off-field right, to be a lot more scientific,'' Fraser said.

"In his first year, he inherited the previous structure.

"Certainly things were breaking down and we really didn't have answers that were good enough in an elite organisation.
Do you require any translation?

The Saints went on the hunt for a fitness guru and poached Sydney's David Misson.
Who cares, Thomas says "fitness and conditioning staff are overrated"

Specific information requested on players fitness and conditioning, times trials, etc...etc...etc... was requested and when it was revealed that this information did not exist, was not kept or recorded by the previous football department it completely shocked our new appointees.

Quite frankly they were astounded at how amateurishly and poorly managed the football department was.
They also snared the highly rated Matthew Drain from the Western Bulldogs to head up football.
The same guy Thomas refused to work with because he wanted total control for himself and his mate Rendell, the very same guy who can not even read out player codes at AFL drafts correctly.

Thomas wanted to keep running the whole show himself.

Thank christ Butterss sacked him and not before too long, so this club could finally get serious about being a professional organization.

And all the nuffie, numbnut Thomas apologists and all the inane, laterally challenged dingbat drivel that they have spewed forth over this forum in the past few years has been nauseating at best , all the imbeclic, pre-ejaculative calls for Lyon to be sacked, labelling him a dinosaur, a Sydney clone, a clown, etc...etc...from GT doll worshipping airheads has been nothing short of moronic and I don't know how many brass bands some tossers need up them before they get the drum, the fact is that the longer Thomas stayed, the further south our list and this club was headed.

FAIR DINKUM!

Grant Thomas- your buffoonery will not be forgotten!

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
walski
Club Player

Specific information requested on players fitness and conditioning, times trials, etc...etc...etc... was requested and when it was revealed that this information did not exist, was not kept or recorded by the previous football department it completely shocked our new appointees.

Quite frankly they were astounded at how amateurishly and poorly managed the football department was.

I think it was 1/2 the old boards fault as well. Letting this go on as long as it did. Wonder why footy first(now the current board) was jumping up and down re: improving footy dept.

Interesting what is coming out of the wash now.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:He deserves judos for this , just as , IMO, he deserved criticism for teh other 2.
*wipes tear*

:D

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:He deserves judos for this , just as , IMO, he deserved criticism for teh other 2.
*wipes tear*

:D
That's a very mod-like post everton. :roll:

Unlike you appear incapable of, I can laud someone I've criticised if I feel they've done something to deserve it.

Oh, and can you please point me in the right direction of the Forum rule that states 'Mods are not bound by the rules of the forum'?

I would have thought that posting sarcastic and/or cheap shots at other posters is against the rules?

Maybe I'm wrong and it's not?

Milton66
SS Life Member

walski wrote:

I think it was 1/2 the old boards fault as well. Letting this go on as long as it did. Wonder why footy first(now the current board) was jumping up and down re: improving footy dept.

Correct. The rumblings were there after 05 and perhaps earlier. Burke held back out of respect for Harvey. Had 35 retired earlier, the shake up would have happened earlier.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

InkerSaint wrote:

Good on you Butterss!

well said I thought the same - nice to have someone who can shut their mouth and dont need to make bucks in the media.

Barks - great post well said.I too marvel at how quiet the flogs are that cr@pped on Lyon from day 1 and even 18 mths later still wanted Thomas back.

Clowns.

“Yeah….nah””
saintly
Saintsational Legend

Milton66 wrote:
walski wrote:

Correct. The rumblings were there after 05 and perhaps earlier. Burke held back out of respect for Harvey. Had 35 retired earlier, the shake up would have happened earlier.
the shake up wuld have happened earlier?

sorry i believe that is a silly reason to wait. However, i have never heard burke say that all .

i remember that thomas did not want Drain, did not need him he said, and let Rendall be operations manager as well as assisstant coach. And that was forced onto him by the administration

Milton66
SS Life Member

saintly wrote:
Milton66 wrote:
walski wrote:

the shake up wuld have happened earlier?

sorry i believe that is a silly reason to wait. However, i have never heard burke say that all .

i remember that thomas did not want Drain, did not need him he said, and let Rendall be operations manager as well as assisstant coach. And that was forced onto him by the administration
My mail was different. Silly or otherwise. :D

The Thomas / Butterrs issue was starting to take hold. Burke and Loewe are ver close friends of 35, and as I understand, they did not want to distabilise things.

Like I said, that was my mail. Came from Burkie's wife.

Halo-9
Club Player
Location: Giving the fruit loops and powder puff supporters the finger everyday!

great article.....wish i got a copy of the herald sun so i could keep the article for me saints scrapbook :?

ST.KILDA are the BEST
So F**K all the REST

*BALLwagon Member #9*

SAINTS LOVE......................SAINTS FOOTY
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Halo-9 wrote:great article.....wish i got a copy of the herald sun so i could keep the article for me saints scrapbook :?
contact the herald sun

or a newsagent But i'm thinking not an SA newsagent

I just picked up a copy today from a newsagent who keeps the papers for a week unless sold out.
I actually enjoyed reading Brett Voss's comments- as a player who was at the end of his time but mature enough to see what was happening.
Last edited by saintbrat on Tue 02 Jun 2009 11:27pm, edited 1 time in total.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Halo-9
Club Player
Location: Giving the fruit loops and powder puff supporters the finger everyday!

saintbrat wrote:
Halo-9 wrote:great article.....wish i got a copy of the herald sun so i could keep the article for me saints scrapbook :?
contact the herald sun

or a newsagent But i'm thinking not an SA newsagent

I just picked up a copy today from a newsagnet who keeps the papers for a week unless sold out.
I actually enjoyed reading Brett Voss's comments- as a player who was at the end of his time but mature enough to see what was happening.
Thanks brat :D

ST.KILDA are the BEST
So F**K all the REST

*BALLwagon Member #9*

Halo-9
Club Player

also can any1 confirm before i contact the herald sun that this story was in the may29th edition of the actual paper,,,or perhaps 30th ?

ST.KILDA are the BEST
So F**K all the REST

*BALLwagon Member #9*