Prepare for the Saintsational Overload...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

kaos theory
Club Player

Prepare for the Saintsational Overload...

IMO the next 4 weeks will determine our season.

This is where the players, coaching department, and saintsational posters earn their money!

Back in 04 we got to 10 wins, then it began to unravel. We missed top two, and that probably cost us a chance at a getting into the GF.

The next 4 mataches are:
- Melbourne
- Roos
- Carlton
- Richmond

I believe this is where we are at most danger of dropping games. Forget the cats game (which follows), its the form we carry through the next month that is critical. Already we have seen our performance come off its peak in the last two weeks, but we have still won.

Are other teams finally getting their acts togther, have they worked out how to play our new style better, or is it just our team going through a bit of a low patch?

I honestly don't think any of these games will be push overs. The Dees have improved a lot over the last 3 to 4 weeks, and even richmond could be unpredicable.

We have 3 to 4 very good players in the wings pushing for selection, we have another 3 to 4 players already in the team who have had indifferent form over the last 2 weeks. So what chnages we make, how they players come up each week will be very important for this 4 week period.

If we are to drop a game or two, it could happen in the next month.

No doubt this place will go off, with all sorts of acusations flyng.....who knows, Roger may aslo re-emerge.

So interesting times coming up, and how the club handles this next month will set the scene for the run into the finals...

Milton66
SS Life Member

ok, if you say so.

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

You asked...

"Are other teams finally getting their acts togther, have they worked out how to play our new style better, or is it just our team going through a bit of a low patch"

Can I add another scenario "are the other sides simply getting up for the big opponents" I may sound like a broken record, but we are the top form of the comp and will be challenged accordingly.

It will be an interesting few weeks, all the teams mentioned have not exactly been great at putting 4 quarter efforts together.

kaos theory
Club Player

Can I add another scenario "are the other sides simply getting up for the big opponents" I may sound like a broken record, but we are the top form of the comp and will be challenged accordingly.
Yes, probably a factor now too. It also means that they spend more time on trying to either copy it or work out weaknesses in our game style.

At the start of the year, the cats & hawks styles were what most other teams tried to copy to some deegree.

We have taken from both of them, plus a bit of the sydney stuff (mostly stoppages work) and melded our own style.

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

kaos theory wrote:
Yes, probably a factor now too. It also means that they spend more time on trying to either copy it or work out weaknesses in our game style.

At the start of the year, the cats & hawks styles were what most other teams tried to copy to some deegree.

We have taken from both of them, plus a bit of the sydney stuff (mostly stoppages work) and melded our own style.
More and more hours every week will be put into viewing our vids by oppo clubs.

Geelong and Hawthorn are known factors.

Makes sense, we have a "new and revolutionary" gamestyle based on 3 clubs. RL himself has said we have looked at the leaders and taken from them, plus his Sydney background.

Now is the time where RL and the playing group earn the real dollars, as they WILL be challenged EVERY week in a different way, depending on how oppo coaching panels view our style and who to shut down etc.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Iceman234 wrote:
kaos theory wrote:

More and more hours every week will be put into viewing our vids by oppo clubs.

Geelong and Hawthorn are known factors.

Makes sense, we have a "new and revolutionary" gamestyle based on 3 clubs. RL himself has said we have looked at the leaders and taken from them, plus his Sydney background.

Now is the time where RL and the playing group earn the real dollars, as they WILL be challenged EVERY week in a different way, depending on how oppo coaching panels view our style and who to shut down etc.
The majority of comments in this thread are based on fear. The next four weeks are the same as the first 9 weeks.

The St Kilda football team is about to confirm to everyone that it 'does' have the most talent on it's list in the comp and that it is 'now' combined with a brilliant coaching panel and a bottom 6 that are in the zone. Oh and that the club as a whole is also being brilliantly managed as well.

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:The majority of comments in this thread are based on fear. The next four weeks are the same as the first 9 weeks.

The St Kilda football team is about to confirm to everyone that it 'does' have the most talent on it's list in the comp and that it is 'now' combined with a brilliant coaching panel and a bottom 6 that are in the zone. Oh and that the club as a whole is also being brilliantly managed as well.
Not based on fear so much as based on reality.

The coaching panel would be well aware that the more success we have, the more minute details will go into oppo club's preparations, particularly with our bottom six players and how to break down our game plan.

Our current style of play is a morphing of 3 other teams game plans, so will require more in-depth analysis.

But let's just enjoy it while it's good... :lol: and hope it will be for a long time.

kaos theory
Club Player

The majority of comments in this thread are based on fear. The next four weeks are the same as the first 9 weeks.

Fear?

Just stating some facts about our last two weeks and comparisions to 04 when the wheels fell off after round 10.

I think we are more mature & far better drilled team now, but I think we had the jump on teams that in the first 7 weeks, and from here on it will be tougher.

The challenge for us is to keep up consistency, like the cats have done over two years. If we get to the cats game with 0 or 1 loss, that will be a great effort, and sets us up for top 2.

We need to get top 2 at the end of the season to make all this effort worth it

busso mick
Club Player

kaos theory wrote:I think we are more mature & far better drilled team now, but I think we had the jump on teams that in the first 7 weeks, and from here on it will be tougher.
The big difference is we can absorb pressure now and apply the blowtorch back to the opposition, in 2004 we played a freewheeling attacking game with very little defensive side to it. Like a lot of successful sporting teams in different sporting codes, a stable defence is the cornerstone of success. If our 2004 team were faced with the situations of the last 2 weeks they would likely have rolled over and lost the game (to quote Ross Lyon - pulled up the deck chairs). We have matured immensely as a team in the last 3 years.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

self-belief

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
The Craw
Club Player

Re: Prepare for the Saintsational Overload...

kaos theory wrote:IMO the next 4 weeks will determine our season.

This is where the players, coaching department, and saintsational posters earn their money!

Back in 04 we got to 10 wins, then it began to unravel. We missed top two, and that probably cost us a chance at a getting into the GF.

The next 4 mataches are:
- Melbourne
- Roos
- Carlton
- Richmond

I believe this is where we are at most danger of dropping games. Forget the cats game (which follows), its the form we carry through the next month that is critical. Already we have seen our performance come off its peak in the last two weeks, but we have still won.

Are other teams finally getting their acts togther, have they worked out how to play our new style better, or is it just our team going through a bit of a low patch?

I honestly don't think any of these games will be push overs. The Dees have improved a lot over the last 3 to 4 weeks, and even richmond could be unpredicable.

We have 3 to 4 very good players in the wings pushing for selection, we have another 3 to 4 players already in the team who have had indifferent form over the last 2 weeks. So what chnages we make, how they players come up each week will be very important for this 4 week period.

If we are to drop a game or two, it could happen in the next month.

No doubt this place will go off, with all sorts of acusations flyng.....who knows, Roger may aslo re-emerge.

So interesting times coming up, and how the club handles this next month will set the scene for the run into the finals...
Written and authorised by a true saints supporter.

Not Craw, CRAW!
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Melbourne are playing good footy for the bottom side, and the Roos have always been a thorn in our side but are weakened. Those 2 IMO are the danger games although I dunno if Melbourne will be strong enough.

Carlton rely too heavily on their stars and will get found out under pressure and Richmond while Wallace is still there, are a team of individuals playing for their own careers.
We'll smash them both

the next 2 weeks are big games

bigred
Saintsational Legend

god help us if we drop a game in the next month..

THis place will erupt..

Who will call for Rossie's job first?

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
saintly_safes
Club Player

Lets face it there is no such thing as an easy game these days. Even Melbourne & Richmond are capable of beating any side if they get it together on the day.We have done extemely well so far but need to sustain that effort againt all clubs because if we dont we run the risk of losing to teams that we should beat.

benengel14
Club Player

Re: Prepare for the Saintsational Overload...

kaos theory wrote:
The next 4 matches are:
- Melbourne
- Roos
- Carlton
- Richmond
As far as season defining games (aside from games in final series), I'd still back the matches against "premiership contenders" as the more important ones if you're looking for any sort of indication of our performance.

1W@T (I just coined that); though...need to keep racking up those 4 points to get pole position for a finals tilt.

happy feet
Club Player

fear of losing

A long time ago I played in a team that went through undefeated. we had a few close games in that year, but as a group you become frightened of losing, you will do anything not to drop a game, because you know you might then drop 3 or 4. I would hope that this mindset is starting to evolve with our players.

Milton66
SS Life Member

kaos theory wrote:

Fear?

Just stating some facts about our last two weeks and comparisions to 04 when the wheels fell off after round 10.

I think we are more mature & far better drilled team now, but I think we had the jump on teams that in the first 7 weeks, and from here on it will be tougher.

The challenge for us is to keep up consistency, like the cats have done over two years. If we get to the cats game with 0 or 1 loss, that will be a great effort, and sets us up for top 2.

Footy, as with most sports is one thing where history has no part in determining the future.

To cmpare o4 with now is silly.

Oh, and my dad used to say: worrying is the interest you pay on problems that may never eventuate.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote: Who will call for Rossie's job first?
i may as well be first

SACK THE B@ST@RD!!!
THIS FORUM USED TO BE SO HAPPY WHEN WE WERE LOSING WITH INJURY CRIPPLED TEAMS... HOW DARE ROSS TAKE THAT AWAY FROM US RESULTING IN THREAD AFTER THREAD ABOUT PLAYER SELECTION AND WHTEHR OR NOT A WINS A WIN!!! (gasp)

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

On the flip side to this I expect, just as hawks did last year, for us to have a slow down at some point this year - NOT a 'wheels fall off' change but a few losses. The question will then be how we respond to that.

No doubt the pressure and quicker ball movement has declined last couple of weeks.

“Yeah….nah””
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Milton66 wrote:
kaos theory wrote:

Fear?

Footy, as with most sports is one thing where history has no part in determining the future.

Oh, and my dad used to say: worrying is the interest you pay on problems that may never eventuate.
Your dad was very wise, I will have to remember that one...

kaos theory
Club Player

Milton66 wrote:
kaos theory wrote:

Fear?

What?

what's wrong with comparisions to 04? I know the cliches about past & future, that's irrelevant. I'm using the comparision as a point of discussion. Or is that not allowed?

Our last two games haven't been as dominate as the previous 7. There could be many reasons for it, and imo the form we carry through coming month of games, as a lead into the cats game, will be telling for the rest of the season (and finals)......

I have no worry, you seem to be making an issue of it.

Milton66
SS Life Member

kaos theory wrote:
Milton66 wrote:
kaos theory wrote:

Fear?

What?

what's wrong with comparisions to 04? I know the cliches about past & future, that's irrelevant. I'm using the comparision as a point of discussion. Or is that not allowed?

Our last two games haven't been as dominate as the previous 7. There could be many reasons for it, and imo the form we carry through coming month of games, as a lead into the cats game, will be telling for the rest of the season (and finals)......

I have no worry, you seem to be making an issue of it.
Not making an issues and pls don't take it to heart.

My point (and obviously not well expressed) is that sure the wheels fell off after 10 in 04, but I don't see the relevance to be honest. It's simple to draw a reference point to past events, but it is in all reality irelevant.

Otherwise, I agree 100% with your post. :lol:

OWTS: He used to say that, but sadly never lived it.

The one I like and use is: There's no problems in life... only challenges that cannot be overcome.

kaos theory
Club Player

My point (and obviously not well expressed) is that sure the wheels fell off after 10 in 04, but I don't see the relevance to be honest. It's simple to draw a reference point to past events, but it is in all reality irelevant.

Otherwise, I agree 100% with your post.

The one I like and use is: There's no problems in life... only challenges that cannot be overcome.
ok milton....
not worried, just discussing...

Milton66
SS Life Member

kaos theory wrote:

ok milton....
I guess I'm still traumatized byt hte coahc /list / recruiting comparison arguments. :cry:

Milton66
SS Life Member

kaos theory wrote:

ok milton....
I guess I'm still traumatised by the coach /list / recruiting comparison arguments. :cry: