We Lost 3 Quarters

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

We Lost 3 Quarters

and still won - sign of a good side ........ I think???

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
markinUSA
SS Life Member

A win is a win.

The good sides win when they play badly. We are a good side.

And... that first quarter was phenomenal. I was so impressed. Imagine that kind of play for 4 quarters - which is what is possible when we are on song ... absolutely awesome.

"Don't give up, never give up" - Robert Harvey.
esaint66
SS Life Member

50/50 IMO.

Pro - We won.
Con - Football is a 4 quarter game.

backit
Club Player

I didn't want to state the negative but the three quarters we lost had a lot to do with our errors and the pressure they put on us. To be able to play it right out was also a good sign.

having some players down today and still win was another positive.

Go Saints

On the Bench
Club Player
Location: Perth. Where Foxtel has now allowed me to watch my beloved Saints each week.

Have to agree with you Mark. The boys absorbed some great pressure and never really allowed Essendon to dictate the terms of the game.

Hard to say which Saints had a good four quarters, but we still won.

Signs of a very good side.

But we have to bounce back next week. Hit hard, score hard.

Go Saints

I am still hurting from 71;
my gut churns thinking of 97;
2009 was agony,
2010a was a pleasure to watch only to be devastated by 2010 b.
It hurts barracking for the Saints
Schillaci
Club Player

Re: We Lost 3 Quarters

[quote="Devilhead"]and still won - sign of a good side quote]

You bet.

Bring on all challengers. Lovin it. :D

gooner
Club Player

Hate to mention the G word but Geelong do this often.
They will blitz a team for 1 quarter and do just enough for the others.
A good win on an off day. I'll take that.

"The humble improve" Wynton Marsalis
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I am sure as we remain one of the two teams to beat, we will have teams throwing everything at us. Teams get up for the big games, and it will be an exciting challenge in the coming weeks...

jay young
Club Player

After the way we went and brisbane went i reckon brisbane will win next week

The Saintsational Man
Club Player

jay young wrote:After the way we went and brisbane went i reckon brisbane will win next week
Ahhhhhhhhh......no!

40+ win for us!!!

starsign
Club Player

they were always going to have the leg speed fresh to worry us and brimming confidence after a few good wins so the extrta 3 days leg preparation was certain to be a telling advantage The !st Q showed the basic differences between the sides and I recon we did well to guts out the win under the circumstances
Brisbane no hope next week !

StSteven
Club Player

The "G" team would have punished us severely with that performance.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

StSteven wrote:The "G" team would have punished us severely with that performance.
Sorry, but I find that comment annoying...

On this kind of mentality, why have teams like Richmond and Melbourne managed to remain competitive against Geelong this year?

People will have to get used to the fact, that we are dominating the comp...and will be challenged like never before as a result.

I will refrain from using the rolling eyes emoticon, just!

StSteven
Club Player

Well listen to RL press conference. There was not too much to get excited about tonight. A win is a win I agree but we must keep up the standard. We did not tonight. A very young and inexperienced side beat us for 3 quarters. A more mature side would have beaten us.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

StSteven wrote:Well listen to RL press conference. There was not too much to get excited about tonight. A win is a win I agree but we must keep up the standard. We did not tonight. A very young and inexperienced side beat us for 3 quarters. A more mature side would have beaten us.
spot on Rossy!

At the end of the day, it's 4 points, and nothing more....I couldn't be bothered listening to the song tonight at the end of the game - partly due to the ridiculous time slot and work tomorrow - but more to the point, it wasn't an exciting win.

Hopefully a lot of good will come out of the dodgy win - might put a few egos in check for the younger boys (the older heads are fine - they've seen the other side enough in recent years!), plus we get a full 7 day break before Brissie, so I expect a much better showing next Sunday.

Griggsy
SS Life Member

yes i prefer to ignore the loss of 3 quarters.

After all woudln't you take that and a win over winning 3quarters and losing the game....poor dons lol

ark
Club Player

esaint66 wrote:50/50 IMO.

Pro - We won.
Con - Football is a 4 quarter game.
But we killed them in Q1 and they narrowly won Q2-4. Context.

Not to say that I was not disappointed by Q2-4 (having returned from o/seas and taken the family to our 1st game for 09).

kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

If we make the grand final this year and only win one quarter but still win the game by three goals...I guess I'd get over it....eventually.

Furtius Quo Rdelious
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

The Saintsational Man wrote:
jay young wrote:After the way we went and brisbane went i reckon brisbane will win next week
Ahhhhhhhhh......no!

40+ win for us!!!
And the Celts to beat the Tragic on Monday! :fingers crossed:

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
StSteven
Club Player

kosifantutti23 wrote:If we make the grand final this year and only win one quarter but still win the game by three goals...I guess I'd get over it....eventually.
...... And the reason to correct this is that you can't do that in finals.

saintbob
SS Life Member

ohwhenthesaints! wrote:
StSteven wrote:The "G" team would have punished us severely with that performance.

On this kind of mentality, why have teams like Richmond and Melbourne managed to remain competitive against Geelong this year?

People will have to get used to the fact, that we are dominating the comp...and will be challenged like never before as a result.

Spot on!!!

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

ohwhenthesaints! wrote:

Could not have said it better. Geelong have had some unconvincing wins (such as the one against Richmond).

We had players who were not playing at their best and we had a short turn around. We knew Essendon were going to come at us with everything and at the end of the day, their 'everything' was not good enough, even when we were not playing at our best. End of the day - we got the 4 points Essendon didn't!

We can't beat teams by 80+ points every week and to be honest, I don't want them to. We don't want the boys to get complacent. They will be disappointed with that game and will fire up for the game next week against Brisbane.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

StSteven wrote:Well listen to RL press conference. There was not too much to get excited about tonight. A win is a win I agree but we must keep up the standard. We did not tonight. A very young and inexperienced side beat us for 3 quarters. A more mature side would have beaten us.
I thought we looked stuffed coming off at half time. Some of the guys were really sucking in big ones.

A few questions - shorter turn around? How much impact does it REALLY have?

Was the strategy to absolutely go hell for leather while we were at our freshest and try to hang on?

What kind of invitation has been sent to other teams in the competition to run at us up the middle?

And are we good enough to stop them if they do?

Whilst I was pleased with the win in circumstances where we were playing a quick and well rested team on high after a big win, I thought some of our manning up and decision making under pressure was pretty sloppy to be honest.

Brisbane, with their bigger bodies and forward targets, are a real sniff if we don't improve on last night's effort...

I thought Essendon were exceptional and a bit stiff to be frank.

May sound controversial, but I reckon we got away with one last night.

Perhaps like the Cats did against the Tigers, the Dogs did against the D's, and Port did yesterday...

Pinching a win is great and all. I think, though, we need to be realistic.

Every team we play will be hunting us down now. Most if not all will run hard at us up the centre. And perhaps with the exception of Melbourne, every team we play up until we get to the BIG ROUND 14 game are a threat on their day.

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:
Pinching a win is great and all. I think, though, we need to be realistic.
How exactly did we 'pinch' the win? I don't get it,we led for 98% of the match?

6.5 v 2.1
8.8 v 5.1
11.11 v 8.6
13.12 v 10.11

Everyone talks about there missed opportunities...they seem to forget about our ample opportunities in the first half to blow the game to smithereens...convenient omission

Bring back the Lockett era
InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

Thinline wrote:A few questions - shorter turn around? How much impact does it REALLY have?

Was the strategy to absolutely go hell for leather while we were at our freshest and try to hang on?

What kind of invitation has been sent to other teams in the competition to run at us up the middle?

And are we good enough to stop them if they do?
The Saints definitely hit the wall after quarter time. Their disposal up to that point was sublime, and bore no resemblance to the crud that followed.

Tackling was down, and this was an area that was pinpointed against Geelong (see Goddard's Saints.com.au interview). The only thing that excuses this is player exhaustion. Either the game style is unsustainable for this group, or 6 days is not long enough to play this game style against a hard running team. Hopefully it's more of the latter than the former, or even better, simply an out-of-form week.

If there's an invitation to the rest of the comp it may well be of the "honey in the jaws of a venus fly trap" kind.