Headline I want to see: Dawson for AA Fullback

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Headline I want to see: Dawson for AA Fullback

Dawson in AA form.....OK crazy, but how crazy.....if a fullback's job is to stop their FF, then how many goals has he conceded????
1 or 2 to Bazza, 1 to Rocca, 1 or 2 Tredrea, 1 Minson, 1 or 2 to Pavlich, ? 0 vs Crows,
WHose doing better?
Also, he gets his 10-12 possies and has about 90% efficiency.

Go Zac, from Rookie draft to AA in a season!

Nee!
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Keep a lid on it.

(Yes, even though we're all thinking it...)

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

rexy
SS Life Member

To be fair you are over rating his performance by some margin. It is great to see him hold his own at senior level and he is a great depth player and something that most sides lack, a genuine KP defender who is not in your best 22.

I also love the obvious joy he is getting from playing footy and the way the side and the coaches have rallied around him and shared in the excitement. Dont know if anyone noticed how much he enjoyed handing over his poster to a kid in the crowd last night but it was a teriffic but brief peice of Tv. (softy I know)

Bottom line is though he is a concern without support around him and is holding a position for Max to be 100% ready and fit. He may be the FB of the future and I sincerely hope so but he has some work to do with his awareness of his opponents position and that of the ball before he is a genuine AFL standard 1 on 1 full back. I think he is determined enough to do it though.

Just my opinion.

Maybe this year?
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

I am very pleased with Zac...but AA form hardly.

Zac is showing every sign that he can be a useful FB for us.

If he can develop into better player than that then that is a bonus.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
mick13
Club Player

Im pretty sure Tippet and Walker kicked a few on him against the Crows...

Hes going alright, but hes really no chance for AA FB. They seem to just hand it on a plate to Scarlett these days.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Dont know if anyone noticed how much he enjoyed handing over his poster to a kid in the crowd last night but it was a teriffic but brief peice of Tv.
Sorry..its way off topic, but last night I witnessed up close for the first time the "handing over" of posters.

If the little girl who recieved her poster from Jimmy Gwilt slept last night I'll be amazed. Her shrieks of delight at this simple gesture were something else..and I reckon she has a new favorite player.

Took me back to the day when Bob Murray arrived at my primary school for a clinic and I just stood and stared at him like he was some sort of God

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Beej
Saintsational Legend

What I like about Zac is how St Kilda supporters have completely adopted him as their own.

Even though he was playing for Hawthorn that fateful day, it feels as though, now he's a Saint, that we were in some way part of it.

Obviously Zac wanted nothing more than to redeem himself, to finally put an end to the mental torture he's been going through since then.

We all wanted it too. s***, even Rocca could tell how much we wanted it last night and he came out to prove a point, that he was still the boss in that relationship.

He tried and tried but it felt to me that he was trying too hard. Rocca is not the player he once was while Dawson is a new man.

You can imagine the amount of sleepless nights Dawson must've had after that game three years ago. Tonight I reckon he'll be falling asleep with a smile on his face.

Take a look at Zac's reaction after Rocca's shot for goal sailed almost sideways into the stands. It said it all...

Redemption.
Last edited by Beej on Tue 12 May 2009 9:25pm, edited 1 time in total.

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

yes all fair enough....just want to know who is doing better in that posi...Glass, Scarlett? Wouldn't mind seeing the stats on goals kicked on each of the fullbacks....I'm well aware he's had alot of help from Blake and Fisher, but doing a great job IMO.

Nee!
rexy
SS Life Member

fugazi wrote:yes all fair enough....just want to know who is doing better in that posi...Glass, Scarlett? Wouldn't mind seeing the stats on goals kicked on each of the fullbacks....I'm well aware he's had alot of help from Blake and Fisher, but doing a great job IMO.
Doing a great job and you cant take that away from him. Scarlett is twice as good and hasnt hit form yet. Sorry.

Maybe this year?
TassieJones
Club Player

Who's been better? Scarlett, Glass, Prestigiacomo, Bolton and Tarrant at least.

Dawson only concedes 1-2 goals a game, but as a team we only concede 7-8. Played well but has benefited immensely from us handing out thrashings every week.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

fugazi wrote:yes all fair enough....just want to know who is doing better in that posi....
No-one. He is a true revelation. One of the two greatest "gets" of all time, and both have happened THIS year to OUR Saints. The other, of course, is Farren Ray. Zac takes me back to our other great "get" this century for us and that is Luke Penny. Alas, injury prevented the football "public" knowing his true worth.

Zac is our best full back since Luke and, injury precluded, our FB for the next ten years. If he doesn't get AA this year, he will soon.

There are two players in this year's back line who weren't there last year - Dawson and Ray, and anyone who says they are irrelevant, or worse, should be dropped for hasbeens, is an idiot.

rexy
SS Life Member

perfectionist wrote:
fugazi wrote:yes all fair enough....just want to know who is doing better in that posi....
No-one. He is a true revelation. One of the two greatest "gets" of all time, and both have happened THIS year to OUR Saints. The other, of course, is Farren Ray. Zac takes me back to our other great "get" this century for us and that is Luke Penny. Alas, injury prevented the football "public" knowing his true worth.

Zac is our best full back since Luke and, injury precluded, our FB for the next ten years. If he doesn't get AA this year, he will soon.

There are two players in this year's back line who weren't there last year - Dawson and Ray, and anyone who says they are irrelevant, or worse, should be dropped for hasbeens, is an idiot.
Prefer you didnt call me an idiot and instead actually made a point relating to why you rate dawson so highly? other than the fact we are winning. As I said before Dawson has been great at filling a very hard position but if you watch in isolation he does not win many real one on one contests, he is breaking even in many of them which is good enough with the quality he has around him. He is also giving everything he has, sticking to the game plan and is relatively assured by foot. The has been Max Hudghton is by far a better player than Zac Dawson and I would be amazed if Zac wasnt the first to tell you that. Would also like to see you look a man who has done as much for a footy club as Max in the face and tell him he is a has been.

Good job Zac.

Poor form perfectionist.

Maybe this year?
Dazvolt
Club Player

I'd play Zac & Max in the same side once Max is back. Reason is that we can't afford Max to do a calf/hammy in a final as it would leave us very exposed....Only problem is that I don't know who should go out when Max is fit.
Thoughts??

rexy
SS Life Member

Dazvolt wrote:I'd play Zac & Max in the same side once Max is back. Reason is that we can't afford Max to do a calf/hammy in a final as it would leave us very exposed....Only problem is that I don't know who should go out when Max is fit.
Thoughts??
Zac

Maybe this year?
TassieJones
Club Player

perfectionist wrote: Zac is our best full back since Luke.
Sorry mate but that is just a disgusting disrespect for one of our best and most experienced players, who was robbed of AA last year.

Only need to look as far as the last game he played to see that. The day Zac Dawson comprehensively beats a guy like Buddy in a thrashing in a preliminary finals is the day you can start even considering him a better player than Max.

And if it is Max you are referring to as a has been, well that is just incredibly poor form

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Seven wins - best Saints back line performance ever - no Max.

Just what is it going to take for the "penny" to drop?

I admire player loyalty, but please, don't pass it off as analysis.

TassieJones
Club Player

perfectionist wrote:Seven wins - best Saints back line performance ever - no Max.

what a joke. I guess Frawley must have a pretty s*** full back then, seeing as his team got thrashed most weeks. Dawson clearly the better player.

Your 'analysis' consists of 'well our team is going well so therefore every single player must be a gun' and it's a joke. You have no idea.

Player loyalty is one thing (and after everything Max has given to the club he deserves some) but there is no possible way Dawson comes close to Hudghton.

Hudghton 08 - was not beaten, rain hail or shine, whether we thrashed teams or got thrashed, including 2 blokes with 200+ goals between them twice a piece

Dawson 09 - Has held some very average forwards to meagre output, whilst we are demolshing teams week in week out and giving them no decent f50 entries.

open your eyes mate, this a disgrace
Last edited by TassieJones on Tue 12 May 2009 10:23pm, edited 1 time in total.

rexy
SS Life Member

perfectionist wrote:Seven wins - best Saints back line performance ever - no Max.

Mate you are the one who is passing off the defensive efforts of a team as evidence that 1 player is better than he is. And you want to judge other peoples analysis.

Did you go to the prelim last year , did you witness the job Max did on franklin, many times one on one in space, have you seen him play and beat the likes of Richardson, Rocca and Loydd over the years, as well as do numbers on Farmer Matera etc. Would you like to judge his record over 15 years, as well as look at the stats from his last game in which he dominated the coleman medalist. You have resorted to name calling and using the results of the team to support your argument. You are not only wrong in your "analysis" but you are disrespecting a club champion and undermining the defensive preassure and team work of the entire StKilda list by suggesting that a 15 game player from the rookie list is our saviour.

Once again kudos to Zac for his efforts

Maybe this year?
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

The clowns who support "Max" yet again resort to personal attack. It proves the point - morons can't learn.

The AA selectors, after selection, always name about ten players for each position who were "unlucky" to miss out. Proves nothing. Eleven years, and this "champ" has never been AA once.

He can't kick, he can't mark and he can't run. He IS courageous, no doubt and he CAN punch the ball. But what next? He is as one dimensional as ever. A back up if the worst happens. That's all. Get over him. Time to embrace the future.

rexy
SS Life Member

Where is the personal attack, so far you have called me an idiot and a moron and I have called you mate.

Now you have stopped trying to prove that Dawson is good and resorted to bagging one of the best defenders this club has had in the 30+ years i have been watching them. Hudghton has excellent closing speed and marks the ball just fine, his disposal has never been his strong point but overall he makes good decisions and doesnt try and do more than he should with it on most occasions. You would be hard pressed IMO to find another StKilda supporter, team mate, opponent, or foot ball commentator to share your views on the failings of Max Hudghton.

Maybe this year?
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

We have both Max and Zac, and how lucky are we....

It almost seems like a bad thing reading some of the posts on here, I am confused?

TassieJones
Club Player

perfectionist wrote:The clowns who support "Max" yet again resort to personal attack. It proves the point - morons can't learn.

The AA selectors, after selection, always name about ten players for each position who were "unlucky" to miss out. Proves nothing. Eleven years, and this "champ" has never been AA once.

He can't kick, he can't mark and he can't run. He IS courageous, no doubt and he CAN punch the ball. But what next? He is as one dimensional as ever. A back up if the worst happens. That's all. Get over him. Time to embrace the future.
cannot believe what I am reading. did max boof your wife or something mate? or are you Lance Franklin in disguise, a pissed off at the raping you got in last years prelim?

he's a poor kick, yet has a very high disposal efficiency due to his ability to know his limits and choose smart options. he doesn't need to run, he's a bloody full back, but his closing speed is exceptional. he is the best one on one defender in the league, he can shut down ANYONE. He was robbed of his spot in the AA team by Harley. And even if he did just miss out, he was still named in the BEST 40 players in the country! Dawson is nowhere near that, never has been and possibly never will be. How you cannot see this I just cannot comprehend.

which brings me back to my first point. you clearly harbour a dislike for Max Hudghton and all I can say is why? Over the past decade only Robert Harvey has put in more effort, tried as hard and put his body on the line as many times for St Kilda. How you can possibly say a rookie defender he has been merely OKAY in 7 thrashings is better than the best stopper in the league is made all the more ridiculous by the fact that he is one of St Kilda's favourite sons and has bled more for the club than most ever will??

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

rexy wrote:Where is the personal attack, so far you have called me an idiot and a moron and I have called you mate..
I have never quoted you once, until now. If you identify yourself with a general comment that is NOT a personal attack. If you quote someone and then criticise them then that is a personal attack. It's English 101, and that's a personal attack.

EB
Club Player

perfectionist wrote:The clowns who support "Max" yet again resort to personal attack. It proves the point - morons can't learn.

Dawson can't really do any of those either . . .

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Anyone who disses Max, past present or future can meet me behind the sheltersheds after school

Absolute legend of this Club who is to be afforded all respect. No exceptions 8-)

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor