West coast might play big players through midfield

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

JABBER
Club Player

West coast might play big players through midfield

Last year in perth we struggled against there tall players playing through the
midfield what new plans can we use to stop it

trevor barker
spert
Saintsational Legend

We lost that one last year mainly due to lack of pressure from our midfield -practically no defensive game. I still remember a couple of times when the WCE player got possession, they were looking around wondering where their opponents were and just ran off easily into their forward line.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Well

1/ last year the WCE mid set-up took us by surprise witha couple of players having days out

2/ We have lot more mid options this year that we had for that game

** ...including Sam and BJ as tall midfielders

** a fit Ball

** Baker back as a tagging option...in addition to CJ

** No Banger...but Ray is proving to be good vlaue.

3/ And while Cox will reamin a huge problem...Gardi is in MUCH better touch than he was then.

4/ Our TEAM play was disgraceful that game...so far this year our TEAM play has beena highlight.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Sobraz
SS Life Member

bloody brent staker played the game of his life.... q-lynch pretty much the same...

wont happen again this week....

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote:bloody brent staker played the game of his life.... q-lynch pretty much the same...

wont happen again this week....
Would not mind betting S. Fisher and Blake may get the jobs on those two, including following them through the middle.

LeCras is my concern, that's where our midfield pressure will need to be high so he doesn't get an easy lead or early jump on his backman.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Just revisited some highlights of that game last year.

I'm not one to bag the umps - it's kind of a tedious practice - but geez we got a bit of a bath that day.

Further, absolutely everything WC touched turned to gold. How many outside fifty bombs wet through?

And finally, we were really, really shite and second to the ball almost always (probable cause of the lopsided free count).

Having seen the game again (in bits), and adding the fact that our defensive pressure and midfield work ethic seems to have improved tenfold since that awful day, I'm far more confident than I was earlier in the week that we'll give the Weagles a mighty good payback whoopin'.