Rd 3 team Vs West Coast............. Closest to the wire

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Saints94
SS Life Member

Rd 3 team Vs West Coast............. Closest to the wire

FB: S.Baker J.Blake Z.Dawson

CHB: F.Ray S.Fisher S.Gilbert

C: J.Gram L.Ball L.Montagna

CHF: A.Schnieder J.Kozchitzke B.Goddard

FF: S.Milne N.Riewoldt J.Geary

FOLL: M.Gardiner L.Hayes N.Dal Santo

INT: C.Jones S.King J.Gwilt A.Mcqualter

EMG: M.Hudgton J.Steven C.Begley

Moorabbin Saints
Club Player

I believe we had no injuries?

If so, unchanged without a doubt.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

B: Steven Baker, Jason Blake, Zac Dawson
HB: Sam Gilbert, Sam Fisher, Brendon Goddard
C: Jason Gram, Luke Ball, Nick Dal Santo
HF: Farren Ray, Nick Riewoldt, Adam Schneider
F: Xavier Clarke, Justin Koschitzke, Stephen Milne
R: Michael Gardiner, Lenny Hayes, Leigh Montagna
I/C: Clint Jones, Andrew McQualter, James Gwilt, Steven King
E: Colm Begley, Ben McEvoy, Robert Eddy

IN: Xavier Clarke
OUT: Jarryn Geary

X is too good to remain in the reserves if he's in good form. The two options are for him to replace Geary or Gwilt. We probably need height against the Eagles so Gwilt has to stay in, despite being the least impressive player on the team so far this year. Geary the unlucky one, then.

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:B: Steven Baker, Jason Blake, Zac Dawson
HB: Sam Gilbert, Sam Fisher, Brendon Goddard
C: Jason Gram, Luke Ball, Nick Dal Santo
HF: Farren Ray, Nick Riewoldt, Adam Schneider
F: Xavier Clarke, Justin Koschitzke, Stephen Milne
R: Michael Gardiner, Lenny Hayes, Leigh Montagna
I/C: Clint Jones, Andrew McQualter, James Gwilt, Steven King
E: Colm Begley, Ben McEvoy, Robert Eddy

IN: Xavier Clarke
OUT: Jarryn Geary
agreed

#1 Ryder fan
older saint
SS Life Member

If it is not broken do not fix it.
No change!!

mightysainters
SS Hall of Fame

FB: S.BakeR, Hudghton, S.Gilbert

CHB: Gram, J.Blake, S.Fisher

C: N.Dal Santo, L.Ball L.Montagna

CHF: A.Schnieder J.Kozchitzke, Ray

FF: S.Milne N.Riewoldt X.Clarke

FOLL: M.Gardiner L.Hayes, B.Goddard

INT: C.Jones S.King, A.Mcqualter

EMG: Geary J.Steven C.Begley

IN: Hudghton and X.Clarke
OUT: Geary, and Dawson

Would rather just Dawson and Hudghton if Hudghton is right a straight swap but X seems to be rated

Unforgiven
SS Life Member

Would rather just Dawson and Hudghton if Hudghton is right a straight swap but X seems to be rated[/quote]

I disagree. I think there is a place for both of them. Dawson imo has show a bit, and he is going to be part of our future. May be Max's last year, and Goose is no certainty play consistantly good enough (and he'd have to get a game first). Putting games into Dawson would be a valuable thing I believe.

Dawson can take a tall forward, Sam Fisher and Max can both play tall and small, as with Gilbert. Gives us a lot of flexibility, and if anything allows Gilbert and Sam to be more attacking.

I thought Ross's plan was to play Gilbert up forward. When Max returns, Dawson might stay in, and that could free up Gilbo to play up forward like they had him in the NAP cup, just my thoughts anyways.

Imagine gilberts tackling pressure up forward :twisted:

Carpe Diem
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Saint Corin wrote:
I disagree. I think there is a place for both of them. Dawson imo has show a bit, and he is going to be part of our future. May be Max's last year, and Goose is no certainty play consistantly good enough (and he'd have to get a game first). Putting games into Dawson would be a valuable thing I believe.

Dawson can take a tall forward, Sam Fisher and Max can both play tall and small, as with Gilbert. Gives us a lot of flexibility, and if anything allows Gilbert and Sam to be more attacking.

I thought Ross's plan was to play Gilbert up forward. When Max returns, Dawson might stay in, and that could free up Gilbo to play up forward like they had him in the NAP cup, just my thoughts anyways.

Imagine gilberts tackling pressure up forward :twisted:
I don't know that Max will be ready this week...

But yes say Gilbert rather than Gwilt up forward would be worth a try...

For this week I would expect= No Change.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
matrix
Saintsational Legend

no changes at all
or
X in for geary

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Saint Corin wrote:Would rather just Dawson and Hudghton if Hudghton is right a straight swap but X seems to be rated

Imagine gilberts tackling pressure up forward :twisted:[/quote]

I just can't buy this argument.

I have yet to see any evidence that Dawson is able to do anything different on a football field than what Max can do: he is an out and out negating defender, pure and simple, and is nowhere near as good as Max (if a fit Max had played on Friday night, we would have won by 50 points, no risk).

Therefore, if we were to move Gilbert forward and replace him with Zac, I would have thought that other players such as Begley or Fish (or, for that matter, Dempster when he is finally fit again) give us more dimensions that Zac in terms of doing something to damage our opponents once they lose possession inside their forward 50.

In terms of Gilbert playing forward, it's possibly a good idea, but it's one I would try initially for short periods of matches as a variation. The idea of selecting Gilbert to play a whole AFL match as a forward right now makes me quite nervous. And, even if RL (because, alas, he never consults me about these things) were suddenly to decide to do this, I would hope that he would replace Gilbert down back with another running, ball-using, hard tackling player.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
mightysainters
SS Hall of Fame

Saint Corin wrote:Would rather just Dawson and Hudghton if Hudghton is right a straight swap but X seems to be rated

Imagine gilberts tackling pressure up forward :twisted:[/quote]

I guess
Dawson v McKinley
Hudghton v LeCras
Blake v Hanson
Fisher v BF
Gilbert v back flank

but wow top heavy and slow....

This seems like best match ups

McKinley v Blake
LeCras v Hudghton
Hanson v Fisher (with fisher sweeping)
Gilbert, Baker and Ray/ Gram

older saint
SS Life Member

Being a bit optimistic re Hudghton playing or does someone else know something. Based on his history i would almost be tempted to play him in the ressies for a game first, especially while the backline is holding together well.

mightysainters
SS Hall of Fame

Hudghton in vfl? either another precautionary week or play him in afl... either way he should be going flat out vfl or afl so if he;s right he's playing. He's one of our best players to say for him to come through the reserves is ridiculous... he's as important to us as Riewoldt would u want him coming through the vfl?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Max will play as soon as he is ready. He will not be given one more week just in case. You are either fit or not fit. No change this week as Max needs at least another week you would think. X still hasnt played a proper game. Give him this week in a real game and if he does well he will probably come in. No changes this week as RL doesnt change sides unless he really has to.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Do we know that Baker is OK, he copped a very hard knock....I know he is tough, but all this talk of Max and Goose makes me wonder?

JABBER
Club Player

Rnd 3 Vs West Coast........Closest to the pin

I agree with plugger 66 no changes to a winning team (i think Begley will be picked beofore x ) but not this week.

trevor barker
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I dont know where all you people are coming from with No Change, and If Its Not Broken Dont Fix It.
To get our best team out there we must have both Clarkes and Max back. Jones, Mini, Geary and Gwilt are not untouchable.

JABBER
Club Player

Rnd 3 Vs West Coast........Closest to the pin

Geary, Mini, Gwilt ,and Jones are hard at the ball and should still be in the side RL plan to have heavy bodies in the team with there tackling skills at the moment is winning games

trevor barker
BallBanger
Club Player

Re: Rnd 3 Vs West Coast........Closest to the pin

JABBER wrote:I agree with plugger 66 no changes to a winning team (i think Begley will be picked beofore x ) but not this week.
66 is an ex ump..common sense is not their forte...what if it was S.Fisher coming back from injury, where do you draw the line...why would we not want to play our best side/players???

Play shtt and team win will give one a certificate for next week?

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:I dont know where all you people are coming from with No Change, and If Its Not Broken Dont Fix It.
To get our best team out there we must have both Clarkes and Max back. Jones, Mini, Geary and Gwilt are not untouchable.
As long as we continue to pick a team based on who is fit, I am happy.

older saint
SS Life Member

borderbarry wrote:I dont know where all you people are coming from with No Change, and If Its Not Broken Dont Fix It.
Definitely not untaouchables but do not deserve to be dropped because of reputations. Max will come back when fit (possibly Gwilt) and Raph was there and got inj. It is all about rewarding performance as for too long players have got games on rep regardless of performance until last year. Made Dal and Milne work for their spots and was the best thing that happened to both of them, perhaps making X do the same may turn his career around also.
What message does it send to the fringe players when they perform the role they are asked and sacrifice their games if they get dropped. Nexttime they won't follow instructions as well if they will not be rewarded for it.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

older saint wrote:
Definitely not untaouchables but do not deserve to be dropped because of reputations. Max will come back when fit (possibly Gwilt) and Raph was there and got inj. It is all about rewarding performance as for too long players have got games on rep regardless of performance until last year. Made Dal and Milne work for their spots and was the best thing that happened to both of them, perhaps making X do the same may turn his career around also.
What message does it send to the fringe players when they perform the role they are asked and sacrifice their games if they get dropped. Nexttime they won't follow instructions as well if they will not be rewarded for it.
There seems to be an assumption in a number of this post, and a number of others in this thread, that - when Max gets back - we wouldn't automatically drop Dawson back to Sandringham.

Gee, I hope this isn't correct. Dawson made a great effort, but there is surely no need for two players of the Max/Zac type in any team: it would be like selecting three tap ruckmen.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
saintly
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Max will play as soon as he is ready. He will not be given one more week just in case. You are either fit or not fit. No change this week as Max needs at least another week you would think. X still hasnt played a proper game. Give him this week in a real game and if he does well he will probably come in. No changes this week as RL doesnt change sides unless he really has to.
max is out for another 2 weeks.

no change i would think. however i unsure about gwilt

The Sainter
Club Player

Gwilt surely must be dropped before Geary. He refuses to go in hard to tackle apponents preferring to stand back hoping his teammate will get it out for him. either of the Clarkes when fit are much better players than him. Leave Dawson in, he is fitting in ok in my opinion plus Rey has been excellent in both games. Our main worry is the very poor disposal by Gram and Ball which often at times causes so many turnovers resulting in opposition goals. Must admit i thought Baker was past it but his game was top class and glad to be proven wrong.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

No change

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....