Goddard on SEN just then

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Jimmy1972
Club Player

Goddard on SEN just then

Only got half but talked about Lynch. He has a 2nd grade hammy injury because he had a knee reco at a young age and that he didn't have a problem in the juniors but the heavy workload has now caused the hammy to twing :(

Also said hard for Armo because of Ball and Hayes. Has to work harder due to this but will be a great player. :wink:

jays
Club Player

good news about armo hope he does become great

doppler effect
Club Player

Re: Goddard on SEN just then

Jimmy1972 wrote:Only got half but talked about Lynch. He has a 2nd grade hammy injury because he had a knee reco at a young age and that he didn't have a problem in the juniors but the heavy workload has now caused the hammy to twing :(
So does this mean that Lynch will miss the NAB Cup?

How bad is a grade 2 Hamstring strain?

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Jimmy1972 wrote:

Also said hard for Armo because of Ball and Hayes. Has to work harder due to this but will be a great player.
Sorry to disagree with BJ... BUT Ball and Hayes will be arounda long time.

Armo is not after their spot....but needs to play WITH them.

Harvey retiring us opened upa slot.....

...and quite frankly we need some young mids to step up and play good football to displace the like of McQualter.

Our 2008 midfield simply was not classy enough...and we need Armo, Steven etc to STEP up to become good mids to play with Ball, Hayes and Dal.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
Jimmy1972 wrote:

Also said hard for Armo because of Ball and Hayes. Has to work harder due to this but will be a great player.

...and quite frankly we need some young mids to step up and play good football to displace the like of McQualter.

Our 2008 midfield simply was not classy enough...and we need Armo, Steven etc to STEP up to become good mids to play with Ball, Hayes and Dal.
why does the midfield have to be classy???

i dont see a need

we have two of the best clearance players in the league at our disposal, when fit they win a mountain of ball

what we need now is a few more players capable of getting the pill out to our outside mids who still arent classy...apart from dal...they seem to be hard head i.e goddard...

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
esaint66
SS Life Member

Jimmy1972 wrote:Only got half but talked about Lynch. He has a 2nd grade hammy injury because he had a knee reco at a young age and that he didn't have a problem in the juniors but the heavy workload has now caused the hammy to twing :(

Not good news i'll have to ask a mate of mine whos best mates with him about how Lynchys travelling and when i get the response i let you all know first hand.

He certainly hasn't had the best luck with injuries as a junior. A blood clot in his head the size of a tennis ball due to a golf ball hitting him and the knee reco. :( :(

Batnoe

Lynch is going to be one of those players that has a tonne of talent that can never get on the field, he had a hamstring strain at the gold coast function back in mid December, that is 2 hamstring strains just from training

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Batnoe wrote:Lynch is going to be one of those players that has a tonne of talent that can never get on the field, he had a hamstring strain at the gold coast function back in mid December, that is 2 hamstring strains just from training
He is a young player and this can happen to them. In the long run it shouldnt matter at all afterall he wasnt going to win us any games off his own boot this year.

Batnoe

plugger66 wrote:
Batnoe wrote:Lynch is going to be one of those players that has a tonne of talent that can never get on the field, he had a hamstring strain at the gold coast function back in mid December, that is 2 hamstring strains just from training
He is a young player and this can happen to them. In the long run it shouldnt matter at all afterall he wasnt going to win us any games off his own boot this year.
why wouldnt it matter? he was our first round draft pick and the more games we get into him the better. So although he wont win any games off his own boot this year the more games he gets and genuine experience it may help him win a few for us next year..

a bad pick up if the case, he had better play 8-10 games this year or will be a dissappointing pick

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

Batnoe wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
why wouldnt it matter? he was our first round draft pick and the more games we get into him the better. So although he wont win any games off his own boot this year the more games he gets and genuine experience it may help him win a few for us next year..

a bad pick up if the case, he had better play 8-10 games this year or will be a dissappointing pick
i would imagine minor type injuries are part and parcel of being a youngen espeically in your first pre-season...having this whole afl caper as your professions, training your ass off

dont stress batnoe...i look forward to wetting myself over goddard as much as you asap

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Doesn't a grade 2 tear mean an extra few weeks over a grade 1 (strain) tear to the hammy, ie 4 weeks rather than 2 or 3??

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

to clarify what BJ said- that is the strain he had- overdid it coming into the club- as players can do- BJ's words

But is now back on track- has not re done it.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Saint Bev
SS Life Member

saintsRrising wrote:
Jimmy1972 wrote:

I agree, this is an odd comment to make in my book.

Qld Saints Supporter Group
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Saint Bev wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:
Jimmy1972 wrote:

I agree, this is an odd comment to make in my book.
Not really Bev.

IMO Goddard is simply referring to the obvious that we have two gun inside mids in our line up - Armo is a similar type who will find it tough competing for a similar spot (Armo doesnt appear an outside mid to me) which IMHO we could do with another of....Harvey retiring opens a spot for a similar gut run/outside mid...not necessarily Armo....more a Cousins type with some ball carrying ability......(I cant let go)

This doesnt mean he cant make the side or that he cant be played with Ball/Hayes.....it may mean given his style is similar its going to be harder for him.

“Yeah….nah””
PJ
SS Life Member

Fair bit of stress about Lynchy. I wouldn't even be worried about a first year guy, it's gonna take them all a bit of time.

In the mean time chill out and watch Sam Gilbert having a crack at the forward line...or armo getting a run in the mids - that's what we lacked in the finals accountable grunt mids. If he's not getting the ball he can be putting blocks on players. Or Steven pack ferrett number 2.

Don't worry be happy....this Saturday we get to see some of the other hopefulls running around....and if we lose - who cares. I just want to see something different from the saints personel and structure wise.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Batnoe wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

You must have been disappointed in Rooy, Armo and big Ben then.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Did he mention anything about whether he is playing Sat night?

There was an article in todays H-S about him winning his local golf clubs pennant QF..and that he was playing in the Semi this sat arvo

Would indicate that he isnt playing Id say

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Saints Premiers 2008 wrote:

i dont see a need

By classy I mean very "good".....and not "stylish".

Our midfield simply was not "good" enough in 2008.

Why does our midfield need to be very good? Because if they are not then I cannot see us getting past the Hawks and Cats.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
IMO Goddard is simply referring to the obvious that we have two gun inside mids in our line up - Armo is a similar type who will find it tough competing for a similar spot .
I see Hayes as more than an inside mid.

Also from what I have seen Armo has the ability to be quite damaging when "resting" in the forward line. He looks like the type who has the knack of kicking goals.

Each playing at their best....
a midfield of say Hayes, Ball, Dal, Armo, Ray, Gram and Joey could be awesome with a good mix of grunt, skill and pace. All supported with Sam and BJ acting as "quarterbacks" seeting up the play out of defence.

mick13
Club Player

Is Steven an inside or outside mid?

He was listed as emergency a couple times last year. Could see a few games from him hopefully! Along with Armo that is. Not sure who to make 'my man' at this stage. Tough choice.

chook23
Saintsational Legend

Only heard bits and pieces
but BJ also mentioned injury issues with Cahill on arrival

I am sure he said something about Cahill having both hips operated on

ie scrape of both hip joints

anyone else hear that bit?

many an under 18 being recruited at all clubs with injury concerns

saint4life
Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:

i dont see a need

Why does our midfield need to be very good? Because if they are not then I cannot see us getting past the Hawks and Cats.
point taken

our strengths imo are our clearance work and the run and carry of players who can play in the back half however are natural attackers

apart from nds i doubt we are ever going to be classified as having classy mids

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

In a side note, it's great that Goddard was on SEN. I think he comes across well in the media, and it's nice for the club to mix it up sometimes.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
Teflon wrote:
IMO Goddard is simply referring to the obvious that we have two gun inside mids in our line up - Armo is a similar type who will find it tough competing for a similar spot .
I see Hayes as more than an inside mid.

Also from what I have seen Armo has the ability to be quite damaging when "resting" in the forward line. He looks like the type who has the knack of kicking goals.

Each playing at their best....
a midfield of say Hayes, Ball, Dal, Armo, Ray, Gram and Joey could be awesome with a good mix of grunt, skill and pace. All supported with Sam and BJ acting as "quarterbacks" seeting up the play out of defence.
Id disagree re Hayes. He's no goal kicker, doesnt run and burst from packs aka Judd/Kerr and IMO does his best work as an inside mid, tough in the clinches with quick hands and an awesome tackle. He's not a run and carry mid in the mould of Harvey/Cousins and hes not a sublime outside mid aka Dal Santo.

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:

i dont see a need

point taken

our strengths imo are our clearance work and the run and carry of players who can play in the back half however are natural attackers

apart from nds i doubt we are ever going to be classified as having classy mids
Id agree with that but note that in 2005 I didnt class Sydneys mids as classy....but very effective at what they did.

“Yeah….nah””