The ole girl IS coming down!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

The ole girl IS coming down!

Went to moorabbin today, and chunks of the stand are already pulled down. They have sarted round near bay 15 or 16 at my guess for some reason.

It really rips me to see this, I know why of course, but I also dont know why if that makes any sense.

Anyway, it was on the radio news and on there was a quick grab from Archie saying there will be alot of stuff for sale. I guess we stay tuned...

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

So started behind the South Rd end goals? Makes sense if so, keeps the contruction area away from the most used parts of the Oval for as long as possible

Couldnt have Intra-Club there if they were pulling down the stand on the Wing Id imagine

I'll have to pop down and take some pics..truly the end of an era

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

no, other end, where I think the original extension was made back in the 70's. imagine between the wing and half foward, other end from south road.

Intra club?? Yeah, Id like to know too! As it stands, it looks like the could maybe fence it off or something, it seems far enough away as you mention. Yes the end of a era, and a very sad end standing there today watching it.

There was one other guy on the other side of the road in a wheelchair, in his saints gear, by himself just stoney faced :D Im not the only one.

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

I also would think GG Huggins will survive, havind the SC and all. Not sure bout that.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

iwantmeseats wrote:I also would think GG Huggins will survive, havind the SC and all. Not sure bout that.
football department are moving into the Huggins stand-and most area's north of the race- walkway
Museum is closed

to my understanding everything south of the race will go- ie where the steps where closed off occassionally- but that's just what I thought.

and reminder it is Council Order that it come down

I saw one of these pieces of memorabilia last week- with a piece of a seat included at the bottom
Last edited by saintbrat on Mon 12 Jan 2009 10:38pm, edited 1 time in total.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

guess that means the animal cage area wont survive then? Bah, thought so.

Damn that council to hell in a handbag! :twisted: Not only are we not able to base aourselves there in the future due to them, we have to destroy a important part of our history/memories. Pricks.

ctqs
Club Player

Yeah, I was out there today too and saw the early stages of the demolition work. I couldn't help but feel a tinge of sadness. It's the section of the grandstand behind the goals, and the concreted outer terrace next to it. Is any of it going to remain?
I heard a saying years ago that you can go back to a place, but you can't go back to a time. Never is that more the case than when I visit Moorabbin and stand in the spot where I spent so many Saturday afternoons as a child and young man, and turn on the video recorder in my brain to relive favourite moments at the ground.
The mind can play funny games because what were actually frustrating, sometimes demoralising, losses through many lean years, have turned into happy memories. And if the entire grandstand is demolished, that'll be another thing that will be consigned to the memory bank.
I know it's progress and I would never want to stand in the club's best interests for my own selfish wants. But it would be nice if we could find a way to at least keep some of it if at all possible.
Parts of the Junction Oval remain, even a part of Waverley still stands. It'd be nice to take the kids to Moorabbin in the decades to come, to give them a taste of what it was like, and to try to convey what it meant to those of us who were there.

Still waiting for closure ... if you get my drift.
iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

excellent post ctqs. I guess we will still have the GG Huggins stand, but I never sat there haha! :D

I didnt get round to the street behind the goals at that end, is it horsemunden? hmmm, I think its ALL going mate, sadly.

johnpeterbudgefanclub
Club Player

I agree with all of the above. A sad day for football indeed. I have fond and vivid memories of sitting in the G.G. Huggins stand watching the pies play on a number of occasions and for memory never an easy game was had. Remember the epic battles that we had....and players like Joffa Burns, Joffa Cunningham, Plugger, Gary Odgers, Danny Frawley and the like strut their stuff.

Certainly great memories indeed. The best of all being Jeff Fehring's goal from the middle of the ground. Amazing. My bro played that day and when we chat we often look back to highlights like that which to me are etched in my memory forever.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Really sad to see the old girl go down. I had a look today as well on the way to work - a few last snaps for the memory bank.

If they demolish the lot, hopefully they keep the slab where Animal Enclosure once ruled.

I was raised on those terraces 8-)

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

If they keep it as a rec oval, you'd hope they would put in a plaque where the AE was.

But I doubt it somehow. Friggin beaurecrats :evil:

Let's see how "serious" they are about local history and culture...

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

I know StKilda was nearly always broke but was that partly due to paying
for the Moorabbin ground.How much of the cost was borne by council and how much was StKildas responsibility.....

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
F_Q_F
Club Player

Just a quick question to anyone that might know.

I was in Melbourne a couple of months ago for the Moto GP. We stayed in the CBD and on the way out to Philip Island we passed by what looked to be an old grandstand pretty much in the middle of a suburb.

Is that the old Waverley stand?

Didn't have a chance to head down to Moorabbin, doesn't look like I will get a chance to now either.

PJ
SS Life Member

RIP Animal Enclosure

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
saintly
Saintsational Legend

F_Q_F wrote:Just a quick question to anyone that might know.

I was in Melbourne a couple of months ago for the Moto GP. We stayed in the CBD and on the way out to Philip Island we passed by what looked to be an old grandstand pretty much in the middle of a suburb.

Is that the old Waverley stand?

Didn't have a chance to head down to Moorabbin, doesn't look like I will get a chance to now either.
yes it is the waverly stand.

Bono
Club Player

Its a crying shame they are pulling it down. The grandstand is only about 42 years old yet was starting to fall apart due to lack of upkeep and maintainance. They have also ripped the guts out of the middle level of the social club and the players are using it as a gym. So when they move to seaford, the only part of the whole Linton St setup that will still be operational will be the gaming room. Who cares about a gaming room. I think the Saints are slowly losing their identity, and in the past 10 or so years have been a bit like gypsies - different training venues, weekday setups, different VFL clubs, crappy closed training sessions. You read about how well Hawthorn have done everything and how settled and profitable they are and you start to wonder if the people at the top at Moorabbin have always had the clubs best interests at heart. The ironical things about pulling the stands down is that the club actually owns all the buildings on the land, yet the council have made them pull them down.

spert
Saintsational Legend

The Saints leave Moorabbin and it eventually gets pulled down, we leave Waverly and most of it gets torn down..maybe the dome is next for the demolition crew?

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:The Saints leave Moorabbin and it eventually gets pulled down, we leave Waverly and most of it gets torn down..maybe the dome is next for the demolition crew?
It's actually the Southern Stand of the MCG, which is now 18 years old.

I have read that the MCC want to redevelop it - ie. a complete refurbish is on the books.

Grandstands have only about a 30 year useable life in their original form I believe.....

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

ctqs wrote:I heard a saying years ago that you can go back to a place, but you can't go back to a time. Never is that more the case than when I visit Moorabbin and stand in the spot where I spent so many Saturday afternoons as a child and young man, and turn on the video recorder in my brain to relive favourite moments at the ground.

The mind can play funny games because what were actually frustrating, sometimes demoralising, losses through many lean years, have turned into happy memories.
That has to one of the best quotes I've read on this site... belongs in a book called "Tips for a Sports Fan".

yipper
SS Life Member

Certainly is sad to hear the stands are coming down. Being so far away, I can't get up there to take one last look. I love that place, I grew up there. My second home I reckon!! It's where I became addicted to the Saints!! The atmosphere at that ground was just fantastic, driving up south rd on the way to a game, you'd see cars parked all the way back to the southside six pub. You knew it was a big game. Stood in the same old spot for years, you got to know the ppl around you. Just love that place, heartbreaking to think it will be no more. My old school gone!! The hospital I was born in has gone!! My old cricket club is gone!! Now my old VFL/AFL footy ground is going!! I fell like I'm ebbing away!!! :oops:

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
GrumpyOne

yipper wrote:Certainly is sad to hear the stands are coming down. Being so far away, I can't get up there to take one last look. I love that place, I grew up there. My second home I reckon!! It's where I became addicted to the Saints!! The atmosphere at that ground was just fantastic, driving up south rd on the way to a game, you'd see cars parked all the way back to the southside six pub. You knew it was a big game. Stood in the same old spot for years, you got to know the ppl around you. Just love that place, heartbreaking to think it will be no more. My old school gone!! The hospital I was born in has gone!! My old cricket club is gone!! Now my old VFL/AFL footy ground is going!! I fell like I'm ebbing away!!! :oops:
Don't look now yipper, but every vestige of your existance is being erased. Once your SS membership is gone, you will obviously cease to exist.

Does anybody remember yipper?

yipper
SS Life Member

GrumpyOne wrote:
yipper wrote:Certainly is sad to hear the stands are coming down. Being so far away, I can't get up there to take one last look. I love that place, I grew up there. My second home I reckon!! It's where I became addicted to the Saints!! The atmosphere at that ground was just fantastic, driving up south rd on the way to a game, you'd see cars parked all the way back to the southside six pub. You knew it was a big game. Stood in the same old spot for years, you got to know the ppl around you. Just love that place, heartbreaking to think it will be no more. My old school gone!! The hospital I was born in has gone!! My old cricket club is gone!! Now my old VFL/AFL footy ground is going!! I fell like I'm ebbing away!!! :oops:
Don't look now yipper, but every vestige of your existance is being erased. Once your SS membership is gone, you will obviously cease to exist.

Does anybody remember yipper?
Thanks mate, made me feel so much better!!! 8-)

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

They can remove bricks and mortar, but they can't take away your memories. Embrace it as a way forward for the football club.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Makes no difference to me, none of those stands existed when I started following the mighty Sainters.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

Bernard Shakey wrote:Makes no difference to me, none of those stands existed when I started following the mighty Sainters.
Old fart! :lol:

Seriously, does anyone have pics of the original ground in 1965?

I recall waverly had no stands when the first game was played.

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.