Analysis of this Decision - Between rock & a hard place

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

kaos theory
Club Player

Analysis of this Decision - Between rock & a hard place

Rather than spewing out emotional response to this on the main thread (I was initially p1ssed off with the decision), lets try to consider what may have gone on and led to the decision & the clubs actions:

Firstly, no other club is keen to take him...and the pies were very keen and went through a lot of due diligence.

Therefore, there must be SOMETHING about his current state that is concerning to the clubs, and creates a significant risk for the club taking him. That is risk BEYOND some minor fallout for the club if he gets back on the gear and mucks up….

Some here have asked for the club to give a full & detailed discloser of why they decided not to take him. Frankly, this is nonsense. The board’s discussion, if aired publically, could be very damaging (e.g. legal ramifications) to the club and/or to Ben personally.

There may have also been major sponsorship issues. While losing a small/mid-sized sponsor may not seem like much, losing a major sponsor (with expected long-term commitments) could result in the loss of millions of dollars of steady cash flow. In today's market, this is THE most important thing to stay alive and try to prosper.

So unfortunately, the club appears 'weak' or 'gutless' for not taking a risk on a flawed talent, and not providing any reasons why. But I don’t think it has any other way of presenting a no decision on Ben…. Very difficult to put a positive spin on this, so the club just going to have to knuckle dawn and work through it.

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

Simple one sentence answer to their reasoning (as it has been confirmed that it is only the last few days that their interest has waned):

GUTLESS AND WEAK AS P%$S!!!!!!!!!

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

The bit im pondering is Archie's statement which says he still thinks he will be a good fit for the right club. A strange line to end with the statement with.

Anyway, Im all fired up, wish there was a game to take it on this weekend!
Last edited by iwantmeseats on Tue 25 Nov 2008 9:36pm, edited 1 time in total.

chook23
Saintsational Legend

afl and their brand cleared him to go.......

but what did they know.

saint4life
Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

There's a nail, a head and u have the hammer kaos.

I would highly back it in there are underlying issues that the club would never disclose in their decision and neither they should. The bleating sooks on here can demand all they want but FFS put themselves in their own workplaces for a minute.

Five months of assessment for ONE employee is going above and beyond due diligence AFAIC, especially when that one employee is just 1 cog out of 44.

Why the outrage when all other clubs (bar maybe Lions) have completely ruled him out after their much shorter assessments?

Very good post KT.
Last edited by Iceman234 on Tue 25 Nov 2008 9:37pm, edited 1 time in total.

kaos theory
Club Player

Simple one sentence answer to their reasoning (as it has been confirmed that it is only the last few days that their interest has waned):

That's you opinion, and my initial reaction was simialr, BUT there has to be more to this.

If you think people like Andrew Thomo, Burkie & the Prez (who has built his business through many hard knocks) are waek & gutless, then you don't know these guys...

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

kaos theory wrote:

That's you opinion, and my initial reaction was simialr, BUT there has to be more to this.

If you think people like Andrew Thomo, Burkie & the Prez (who has built his business through many hard knocks) are waek & gutless, then you don't know these guys...
Maybe they need to take their suits off and get back to their grass roots! Maybe then they would have made the correct decision.

Initial comments stand: GUTLESS AND WEAK AS P%$S!

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

saint75 wrote:
kaos theory wrote:

Maybe they need to take their suits off and get back to their grass roots! Maybe then they would have made the correct decision.

Can you tell me why?

What compelling evidence do you have that they SHOULD HAVE given him the green light?

I would suggest they probably know better than you do...

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Well I suspect the real analysis will come when the Lions play the Saints next year.

That is assuming that the Lions draft him....mind you if they do, then the Saints would most likely have not gained him anyway.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Legendary
Club Player

First post is spot on.

15 clubs have said no, and two have done so after extensive research (Pies and Saints).

Furthermore, the club's board is not comprised of weak or gutless people - certainly not Burkey, Thommo or GW.

Furthmore, if RL had wanted him then he would have got him.

Furthermore, if we lost Jeld-Wen in the current economic circumstances then we would not have found another sponsor. You want the club to go under just for the sake of recruiting one player? Major sponsor considerations must be a factor if they had objections.

chook23
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:Well I suspect the real analysis will come when the Lions play the Saints next year.

That is assuming that the Lions draft him....mind you if they do, then the Saints would most likely have not gained him anyway.
why.

pure guess

saint4life
Legendary
Club Player

What if (and in my mind the most likely outcome) Cousins does not get drafted at all?

16 clubs overlook him?

Several of which undertook significant investigation?

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

Legendary wrote:What if (and in my mind the most likely outcome) Cousins does not get drafted at all?

16 clubs overlook him?

Several of which undertook significant investigation?
I would think that's unlikely, I think Lions will take him but at a very low pick.

No dramas there, Voss is a thug, golden sands and nightclubs, ..... nothing to lose by picking him up...

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

Iceman234 wrote:
saint75 wrote:
kaos theory wrote:

Can you tell me why?

What compelling evidence do you have that they SHOULD HAVE given him the green light?

Well maybe if they flamin' well come out and tell me FREAKIN' why, I may not be so bloody pi*%$d off!

Can you dispute the fact that he is champion? He has been CLEARED by the AFL to play, would have cost us nothing on Saturday if we drafted him and let's face it, at least 50% expected him to relapse so really, there was only way for Ben to go and that was UP!

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

saint75 wrote:
Iceman234 wrote:
saint75 wrote:
kaos theory wrote:

Can you tell me why?

Well maybe if they flamin' well come out and tell me FREAKIN' why, I may not be so bloody pi*%$d off!

Can you dispute the fact that he is champion? He has been CLEARED by the AFL to play, would have cost us nothing on Saturday if we drafted him and let's face it, at least 50% expected him to relapse so really, there was only way for Ben to go and that was UP!
He was a champion I admit.

He was a champion who played for many years under who knows what influence.

But yes he was a champion.

He may have been great for our midfield. He may not.

He has been associated to a lot of people that I would never associate with.

He has allegedly tried his hardest to get back on track, and good luck to him for that.

But 15 (maybe 16) clubs have done their own independent assessments of him and all of them have said no.

Good on the AFL for giving him the chance to get back, but it's not gonna be with us.

Our board, I would suggest, is in possession of confidential information which they should NEVER make public.

All the sook-arse whinging and whining on a fan forum will not, and should not, make them change their position.

Have a long hard think about it and you will see I'm right.

chook23
Saintsational Legend

according to langdon on SEN

his sources close to Cousins camp stated
the 2 lawyers on Stkilda board were very strong against drafting Ben.

saint4life
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

saint75 wrote:
Iceman234 wrote:
saint75 wrote:
kaos theory wrote:

Can you tell me why?

What makes you believe you know better than those who have made the decision?

What facts are you aware of that the Board overlooked in deciding not to pursue BC?

Personally I may not like some decisions our Board makes, and I can voice my opinion on that when they put themselves up for re-election.

But the sheer arrogance you are showing by pretending that you know better than the Board on this decision is breathtaking.

By all means be unhappy with their decision for whatever personal reason, but to tarnish them in the way they have because, unlike you they were aware of all the facts, they dared to make a decision you do not agree with, paints your comments as ridiculous on this matter.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

saint75 wrote:
Well maybe if they flamin' well come out and tell me FREAKIN' why, I may not be so bloody pi*%$d off!!
Ben just settle down!!!!!!!!!

Brissy might still be interested in you :wink:

It was a mistake that you waxed your body and cut your hair - not least that your balls must be super itchy right now - but seriously take a deep breath with pipe away from your lips and open your eyes

All is not lost - hang in there big fella :)

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
saintly_safes
Club Player

I am as disapointed as anyone & feel really empty but what else could the club do , the guy is his own worst enemy . Shaving down before a drug test , even if he was clean he sent a message that is probably going to see him exiled from AFL footy.Sponsors cannot afford bad publicty especially in this current ecomomical climate & to risk the clubs financial well being would be disasterous.I also realise that we really need a gun player to take us to the next level & he would have fitted the bill to a tee but it aint gunna happen. I honestly cannot see enough improvement in our list to challenge the top 3 & with the improvement of sides below us, I think we are in for a long year .Hope I'm wrong :cry:

realdeal
Club Player

5 months of 'due diligence' to tell us 'list management' drivel! well f*#k me. what do they take us for.

I second it: weak and gutless. how dare sponsers, or board members in suits have so much say.

by all means they can say no to taking him but after this length of time and positive sounds coming from the club, its just a massive let down and bad message for everyone who's messed up at some stage.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I really don't think it was a sponsorship or branding issue, the guy has found work being the face of a suit company while serving his 12 month ban...

Surely something must of happened at the 11th hour, I couldn't see the club keeping this guys hopes up for so long when they had no intention to draft him....we wouldn't do that, would we?

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

everybody forgetting his best mate was arrested???

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
Trident

Saints Premiers 2008 wrote:everybody forgetting his best mate was arrested???
"Quaid, a taekwondo expert, was arrested on May 19 at his Manly apartment"

That was six months ago SP2008.

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

Mr Magic wrote:
saint75 wrote:
Iceman234 wrote:
saint75 wrote:
kaos theory wrote:

Can you tell me why?

What makes you believe you know better than those who have made the decision?

What facts are you aware of that the Board overlooked in deciding not to pursue BC?

Personally I may not like some decisions our Board makes, and I can voice my opinion on that when they put themselves up for re-election.

But the sheer arrogance you are showing by pretending that you know better than the Board on this decision is breathtaking.

By all means be unhappy with their decision for whatever personal reason, but to tarnish them in the way they have because, unlike you they were aware of all the facts, they dared to make a decision you do not agree with, paints your comments as ridiculous on this matter.
Oh dear, the usual mentality from Saints supporters. Brush yourself off and pick yourself up and keep believing that we will one day achieve that elusive Grand Final victory. How many bad decisions does this club at board level have to make that continually hinder our progress (and there have been many over the years) before you lot will wake up and smell the roses.

I have supported them unconditionally in the past with most of their hair-brained decisions and remained loyal and would not hear a word against them. This decision is the final straw. This is another ridiculous decision that impedes our progress. Ben Cousins would have been worth the punt regardless of the outcome. Some believed that he would relapse, so there was only one way for him to go - UP! Would have cost us nothing and there were enough strategies in place to catch him out IF he relapsed and it would of been dealt with quickly. That was the downside. The upside is the addition of an A Grade midfielder who has an astonishing amount of talent that would have been a real asset to our team. Players like Ben Cousins are once in a lifetime players. They don't grow on trees!

As for tarnishing the board, I don't have to do that, they have done it to themselves tonight. Being gutless and not willing to take a chance will get you nowhere. Just ask Hawthorn. They manage to deal with their 'problem' players and look what they achieved this season. A flag. Something I fear that I won't be seeing in my lifetime at this rate.

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

Imagine the outrage if the pies did not suspend Didak and Shaw in their pursuit of a flag.

Yet we get all high and mighty coz we decided aginst a "bad" egg?

Because it will cost us a flag?

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.