Rookie Draft

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Rookie Draft

Are we able to take Attard in the rookie draft?

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
fonz_#15
SS Life Member

no. he has been on the rookie list for two years. He can't be re rookied unfortunately

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

fonz_#15 wrote:no. he has been on the rookie list for two years. He can't be re rookied unfortunately
i think he can, if he's redrafted in the rookie draft. it's just required that after two years on the rookie list a player is either delisted or promoted. he can be redrafted in the rookie draft if he's under 23 at the appropriate time.

however, i'm not sure when the appropriate date is. attard turns 23 next feb so it's possible he's just over the age limit.

mcqualter won't be 23 until june, though, so i suppose he can stay on the rookie list for another year.

FortiusQuoFidelius
Club Player

bergholt wrote:mcqualter won't be 23 until june, though, so i suppose he can stay on the rookie list for another year.
Wasnt McQualter promoted from the rookie list earlier this year? He isnt listed as a rookie on saints.com.au...

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Re: Rookie Draft

dcstkfc wrote:Are we able to take Attard in the rookie draft?
bit of a pointless exercise the rookie list is for us to try and unearth a gem from nothing the whole concept is to make it like a revolving door get a kid with a bit of potential but flaws chuck him in the rookie list get some VFL games into him and see if he can step up to the next level ... basically its not the place for a guy we have tried and got some success with with attard its either put him on the main list and let him be a for lack of a better word list clogger or delist him .. its tough on him but he would be 3rd in line for his specific role in the team... thats footy

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

Neither should be re-rookied.

Get a fresh list of kids in & give them the opportunity.

Neither Attard nor Mini are up to AFL standard. It's time to give some kids a chance.

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

Animal Enclosure wrote:Neither should be re-rookied.

Get a fresh list of kids in & give them the opportunity.

Neither Attard nor Mini are up to AFL standard. It's time to give some kids a chance.
Mini is still a rookie and hasn't been delisted

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
FortiusQuoFidelius
Club Player

FFS McQualter isnt a rookie - he is on the SENIOR list.

http://www.saints.com.au/Players/Senior ... fault.aspx
Last edited by FortiusQuoFidelius on Wed 22 Oct 2008 11:38am, edited 1 time in total.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

FortiusQuoFidelius wrote:FFS McQualter isnt a rookie - he is on the SENIOR list.

http://www.saints.com.au/Players/Rookie ... fault.aspx

he was rookie listed but elevated to the senior list for Fraser when he went onto the LTI (i think it was G he replaced but i could of been goose)

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

FortiusQuoFidelius wrote:FFS McQualter isnt a rookie - he is on the SENIOR list.

Well, I am fairly sure he is a rookie and was elevated to the senior list this year, but he still is a rookie.

I am of the opinion that we de listed him in 2007 and picked him up again as a rookie for the 2008 season.

With injuries he was then elevated, as with Eddy

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
Solar
Saintsational Legend

St Fidelius wrote:

Well, I am fairly sure he is a rookie and was elevated to the senior list this year, but he still is a rookie.

I am of the opinion that we de listed him in 2007 and picked him up again as a rookie for the 2008 season.

thats correct

currently he is on the list as a rookie replacement for one of the injured (Gehrig, goose or dempster). I assume eddy is already been elevated to a senior spot.

Can someone remind me, was attard elevated last preseason or left on the rookie list?

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:
St Fidelius wrote:

thats correct

currently he is on the list as a rookie replacement for one of the injured (Gehrig, goose or dempster). I assume eddy is already been elevated to a senior spot.

Can someone remind me, was attard elevated last preseason or left on the rookie list?
Gehrig and goose it was who eddy and mcqualter replaced

FortiusQuoFidelius
Club Player

Am I missing something here?? If McQualter was elevated then doesnt it mean he's not a rookie any more??? Surely thats just common sense!

Solar
Saintsational Legend

FortiusQuoFidelius wrote:Am I missing something here?? If McQualter was elevated then doesnt it mean he's not a rookie any more??? Surely thats just common sense!
he was elevated but only as a short term injury replacement. When the list is lodged he will either have been moved back down to a second year rookie or elevated perminately onto the list.

FQF
In richo I trust

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

FortiusQuoFidelius wrote:Am I missing something here?? If McQualter was elevated then doesnt it mean he's not a rookie any more??? Surely thats just common sense!
He was elevated because of injuries, the same goes with any rookie...

He is still a rookie...

Don't take things on the saints web site as gospel...

They originally reported that we picked up Farren Ray and traded our FIRST round draft pick for him

saintly
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:
St Fidelius wrote:

thats correct

he was left on the rookie list.

True Blue Sainter
Club Player

So in regards to our rookie draft - we're retaining Khan, promoting Eddy, bringing in McGrath & the Irishman - which means we have 3 spots left to fill? Or are the scholarship holders & international rookies separate to the 6 "local" rookies?

The Saints are coming!
Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

True Blue Sainter wrote:So in regards to our rookie draft - we're retaining Khan, promoting Eddy, bringing in McGrath & the Irishman - which means we have 3 spots left to fill? Or are the scholarship holders & international rookies separate to the 6 "local" rookies?
well how about Alex silvagni and kyle mathews?

Solar
Saintsational Legend

True Blue Sainter wrote:So in regards to our rookie draft - we're retaining Khan, promoting Eddy, bringing in McGrath & the Irishman - which means we have 3 spots left to fill? Or are the scholarship holders & international rookies separate to the 6 "local" rookies?
I believe the scholarship holders are outside the 6. Plus it depends on whether max is a vet inside or outside the 38. If he's an outside vet then thats one less rookie.....

FQF
In richo I trust

saintly
Saintsational Legend

the club does not need to finalise its rookie compoenents for a while in novemember!

goodie
Club Player

Solar wrote:
I believe the scholarship holders are outside the 6. Plus it depends on whether max is a vet inside or outside the 38. If he's an outside vet then thats one less rookie.....
Incorrect, scholarship holders and Irish rookies are inside. Up to two non-Irish internationals can be outside

If scholarships were outside, Khan Haretaku would've meant we had 7 rookies on the list this year.

True Blue Sainter
Club Player

goodie wrote:
Solar wrote:
Incorrect, 2 international rookies can go outside the 6, scholarship holders are inside.

If scholarships were outside, Khan Haretaku would've meant we had 7 rookies on the list this year.
Makes sense - thanks for clearing that up goodie!

I'd like to see at least 2-3 of our rookies from the upcoming crop make it to at least 20-30 AFL games, so we can get some return out of them!

The Saints are coming!
saintly
Saintsational Legend

goodie wrote:
Solar wrote:
Incorrect, scholarship holders and Irish rookies are inside. Up to two non-Irish internationals can be outside

we had 7 rookies as khan was a nsw scholarship rookie.

chivers, van reenan, miles, eddy, mcqualter, attard and khan

Solar
Saintsational Legend

saintly wrote:
goodie wrote:
Solar wrote:

yeah I was pretty sure I was right about the nsw scholarship players being rookied. Was not sure about the irish experiment.....

would be great to have all this in an easy to read document (wont even bother looking on afl.com)

FQF
In richo I trust

saintly
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:
saintly wrote:
goodie wrote:
Solar wrote:

yeah I was pretty sure I was right about the nsw scholarship players being rookied. Was not sure about the irish experiment.....

would be great to have all this in an easy to read document (wont even bother looking on afl.com)
I found the info re who are the rookies from WOM .

I believe the irish are outside of the 6 allowed this year.