team round 1 for 2009

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

S.A Saint
Club Player

team round 1 for 2009

If everything goes according to plan with no new injuries and discounting any new arrival accept ray this is how i would like the team to line up come round 1.

FB: Gilbert Hudgton R.Clarke
HB: Fisher Maguire Baker
C: Gram Hayes Goddard
HF: Montagna Riewoldt Armitage
FF: Schneider Allen Milne
RR: King Ball DalSanto

Int: Kochitzke X.Clarke Ray Blake

Emg: Eddy Jones Geary Steven McEvoy

pickle_weasel
Club Player

hmm, dempster might be able 2 be swapped with baker or x clarke, but other than that looks good.

S.A Saint
Club Player

[quote="pickle_weasel"]hmm, dempster might be able 2 be swapped with baker or x clarke, but other than that looks good.[/quote]

i would have put dempster in but he will be out for the whole year with reco

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

pickle_weasel wrote:hmm, dempster might be able 2 be swapped with baker or x clarke, but other than that looks good.
Huh?

pickle_weasel
Club Player

ohwhenthesaints! wrote:
pickle_weasel wrote:hmm, dempster might be able 2 be swapped with baker or x clarke, but other than that looks good.
Huh?
? pretty straight forward i thought, swap dempster for baker or x clarke, but depends if dempster is out or not during round 1 and how well baker and x clarke perform.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

pickle_weasel wrote:
ohwhenthesaints! wrote:
Huh?
? pretty straight forward i thought, swap dempster for baker or x clarke, but depends if dempster is out or not during round 1 and how well baker and x clarke perform.
Hmmm, actually not straight forward....I highly doubt it

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Take the Finals team vs Hawks.

Replace Fiora with Ray
Replace Harvey with Ball
Get Bakes and X in ahead of whoever underperforms in NAB cup.
Gardiner just signed again so you would expect him to play round 1.
Cousins will be coming to the saints if approved by the AFL, so gotta fit him in there too.
Try and fit Allen in there, and the whole exercise is almost futile.

You know one pleasing thing, our midfield rotation incorporates our HFF and HBF players. This means our top running players who traditionally play that rebound HBF role will be able to have more stints in the midfield.

Getting excited about the prospect of our second tier mids being Fisher, Baker, Montagna and Armo (from the side listed above).

In fact, throw Fisher to CHF, Roo at FF. That would be the equivalent of having Roo and Pavlich in our forward line, I reckon.

S.A Saint
Club Player

agree with you otiman

if we can land cousins with then i would replace him with blake in the line up and the players that could play through the middle would look something like this....

Hayes, ball, dal, monty, armo, gram, goddard, fisher, x.clarke, ray, baker and cousins..

that is exactly 12 player that could all be put in the middle and perform a bloody goood job..bring on 09 i cant wait already and hopefully the lads have the biggest pre season they have ever had and come put firing...if we could have all our players on the park i believe we are a shoe in for the flag (with the help of cousins 8-)...

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote:Take the Finals team vs Hawks.

Replace Fiora with Ray
Replace Harvey with Ball
Cousins will be coming to the saints if approved by the AFL, so gotta fit him in there too.

You know one pleasing thing, our midfield rotation incorporates our HFF and HBF players. This means our top running players who traditionally play that rebound HBF role will be able to have more stints in the midfield.

Getting excited about the prospect of our second tier mids being Fisher, Baker, Montagna and Armo (from the side listed above).

In fact, throw Fisher to CHF, Roo at FF. That would be the equivalent of having Roo and Pavlich in our forward line, I reckon.
we wouldnt loose to much imo playing fisher in the forward line...

a positive of our team is we have players that can cover and excel in the run and carry role in the back half

however i have no bloody idea how fisher would go really...

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
S.A Saint
Club Player

[quote="Saints Premiers 2008"][quote="Otiman"]Take the Finals team vs Hawks.

Replace Fiora with Ray
Replace Harvey with Ball

In fact, throw Fisher to CHF, Roo at FF. That would be the equivalent of having Roo and Pavlich in our forward line, I reckon.[/quote]

we wouldnt loose to much imo playing fisher in the forward line...

a positive of our team is we have players that can cover and excel in the run and carry role in the back half

however i have no bloody idea how fisher would go really...[/quote]

Would like to see fisher stay on the half back line to play that sweeping role then move into the midfield...however wouldn't mind seeing goddrad play forward of the centre to have him passing it to roo allen and co as well as bombing it on goal

spiral2
Club Player

Saints Premiers 2008 wrote: we wouldnt loose to much imo playing fisher in the forward line...

he kicked two straight goals in the final vs. Hawthorn...
and kicked them as straight as a die without any apparent nerves...
definitely worth a run in the forward line if we can cover him down back. he's not slow, good smarts, can take a grab, seemingly accurate shot at goal and has experience as a backman (would know their tricks)

would definitely like to see him and Goddard tried up forward in 09. also wouldn't mind seeing goose given a run up forward. if we can develop more guys as swing men then options open up for Ross on game day.

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

spiral2 wrote:
Saints Premiers 2008 wrote: we wouldnt loose to much imo playing fisher in the forward line...

he kicked two straight goals in the final vs. Hawthorn...
and kicked them as straight as a die without any apparent nerves...
definitely worth a run in the forward line if we can cover him down back. he's not slow, good smarts, can take a grab, seemingly accurate shot at goal and has experience as a backman (would know their tricks)

would definitely like to see him and Goddard tried up forward in 09. also wouldn't mind seeing goose given a run up forward. if we can develop more guys as swing men then options open up for Ross on game day.
armo fisher schnieder

goose roo milne

???

wouldnt say no to that forward line being tried in the nab cup...bring it on!!!

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
adobe
Club Player

Re: team round 1 for 2009

Maguire and Baker both struggled in VFL this year due to injury will not be up to AFL standard next year and Gilbert will make a good VFL player but lacks AFL skills. Rest of team looks ok. quote="S.A Saint"]If everything goes according to plan with no new injuries and discounting any new arrival accept ray this is how i would like the team to line up come round 1.

FB: Gilbert Hudgton R.Clarke
HB: Fisher Maguire Baker
C: Gram Hayes Goddard
HF: Montagna Riewoldt Armitage
FF: Schneider Allen Milne
RR: King Ball DalSanto

Int: Kochitzke X.Clarke Ray Blake

Emg: Eddy Jones Geary Steven McEvoy[/quote]

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

adobe wrote:Maguire and Baker both struggled in VFL this year due to injury will not be up to AFL standard next year
With a full preseason each, what makes you so sure?

4ever_saint
Club Player

Otiman wrote:
adobe wrote:Maguire and Baker both struggled in VFL this year due to injury will not be up to AFL standard next year
With a full preseason each, what makes you so sure?
i think it all depends on whether their preseason is interrupted by injury. i mean, we really dont know whether maguire will be able to sustain an entire pre-season without his foot re-breaking. we all hope it'll happen but we cant be sure. also with baker, his injuries seem to be one after the other.

hopefully they will both get a proper preseason, but until then i wouldnt call them definate round 1 starters ;)

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

IMO it would look something like this...

FB: R.Clarke M.Hudghton S.Gilbert
HB: S.Fisher J.Blake D.Armitage
C: J.Gram N.Dal Santo L.Montagna
HF: B.Goddard N.Riewoldt C.Jones
FF: A.Schneider J.Koschitzke S.Milne
R: L.King L.Hayes L.Ball
I/C: F.Ray R.Eddy J.Gwilt X.Clarke

I also wouldn't be surprised to see Eddy or Gwilt replaced by Cousins...

Hoping that Maguire and Baker can find a way into the team but I'm not sure if they'll be up to it or not...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
mick13
Club Player

Armoooo wrote:IMO it would look something like this...

I also wouldn't be surprised to see Eddy or Gwilt replaced by Cousins...

Hoping that Maguire and Baker can find a way into the team but I'm not sure if they'll be up to it or not...
Swap BJ and Armo and thats a pretty solid lineup.

Gonna miss Dempster, with him in the BP would allow Raph further up the field.

spiral2
Club Player

Armoooo wrote:FB: R.Clarke M.Hudghton S.Gilbert
who's L King...Larry? :wink:
would be interesting to see how Armo would go as a small defender pushing up to the middle. has good agility and tackling but what is he like overhead? speed prob a worry against quick small forwards, though he is agile (according to draft camp results)....

forgive my ignorance but did Kosi play much time up the ground - HFF, CHF in 08?
maybe he'd be more suited to this type of role, rather than deep forward. gets more of a run at the ball and more freedom to roam wings etc. speed off the mark maybe a problem, but maybe less so than at FF??
also he's a good penetrating field kick, and pretty accurate.

also - anyone know how bad Allen's injury was...wasn't it a fractured hip socket or something bizarre? anyone know recovery time?

groupie1
Club Player

HB: S.Fisher J.Blake B.Goddard
C: J.Gram L.Ball L.Montagna
HF: J.Gwilt N.Riewoldt N.Dal Santo
R: L.King L.Hayes S.Baker
I/C: F.Ray M.Gardiner B.Cousins X.Clarke

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

The makeup of the team could change a fair bit depending on the PSD. All of Cousins, O'Keefe, Seaby, Harris, Carr and possibly Lovett could be available, so there's a good chance we could snare a decent player. Lesser flawed players like White, Yze, Copeland, Armstrong, Carroll and Mills could still attract some interest as well, so there are plenty of players for other teams to take before our pick.

Edit: Nick Davis is now another PSD prospect
Last edited by mad saint guy on Sun 12 Oct 2008 1:48pm, edited 1 time in total.

TassieJones
Club Player

Goose won't be back by round 1, they need to make sure he is absolutely 100% fine and even then ease him back in over a month or two in the VFL before he makes his return to AFL. Should give us a big boost mid-season though.

To the top
SS Life Member

To make the progress we need to make in 2009 we need changes because in 2008, whilst we finished up around the mark, we failed - and we have lost Harvey!

So:-

Montagna Hudgden Gilbert
S. Fisher Maguire Gram
Riewoldt Goddard Hayes
X. Clarke Koschitzke xxxxxxxx
Steven Allen Ball
M. Gardiner DalSanto Cousins

R. Clarke King xxxxxxx xxxxxxxx

I have deliberately left out the mid-field types we have got from other clubs, except Cousins, because if they have been released by another club there had to be a reason to do with class.

So they do not get traded by another club for down the list picks and walk into St Kilda's best 22 - because that does not say much about our best 22.

The rucks I have no option, because we have none of our own with McEvoy still at development level and needing to bulk up.

I have left out the likes of Blake because, whilst honest and another top 10 finish, I do not know where to play him.

That said, I look for rebound from defence (and accountability) hence putting Montagna back (and I recall Beveridge saying he would make a class small defender) and crossing fingers Maguire can give us a presence at CHB, both accountable and attacking which Maguire is at his best - Blake can not bring that to the park and that is what we want at CHB - and to "free" S. Fisher.

Goddard needs to grab the game by the neck, and dominate - which he can not do in the positions he has been played in - one season back and now is the time.

Riewoldt nominally on a wing, but the around the ground leader. Keep up with him if you can type stuff.

Milne kicked 60 goals so makes a case, but St Kilda need to move on and if Steven has what we hope and need him to have he plays instead of Milne because he will be more dynamic and has potential.

Allen needs to give us the tall forward we have missed with Gehrig's decline and we are short a goal generating and kicking 191 cm (about) half forward - Gardiner, Gwilt and those tried are not up to it. They just do not kick goals.

Armitage hopefully comes on and can claim a spot but he needs to lose the Powell look.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote: Montagna Hudgden Gilbert
S. Fisher Maguire Gram
Riewoldt Goddard Hayes
Steven Allen Ball

I have left out the likes of Blake because, whilst honest and another top 10 finish, I do not know where to play him.

Riewoldt nominally on a wing, but the around the ground leader. Keep up with him if you can type stuff.

Milne kicked 60 goals so makes a case, but St Kilda need to move on and if Steven has what we hope and need him to have he plays instead of Milne because he will be more dynamic and has potential.

Armitage hopefully comes on and can claim a spot but he needs to lose the Powell look.

were you off your tree when you did this?

Drop Milne for Steven. The best small forward in the comp, 60 goals this year and you want to drop him for a twig of a kid yet to play a game.

In reference to Armitage, what does "needs to lose the Powell look" mean?

You've got Roo on the ball, following the pill around the ground rather than in the forward line. Why?

And you've left out Blake because, "I don't know where to play him", even though he's just had his best year at the club.

Fair dinkum TTT, thank god you're not a selector. :roll: :roll:

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Raf Clarke?

Solar
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote:To make the progress we need to make in 2009 we need changes because in 2008, whilst we finished up around the mark, we failed - and we have lost Harvey!

So:-

Montagna Hudgden Gilbert
S. Fisher Maguire Gram
Riewoldt Goddard Hayes
Steven Allen Ball

I have deliberately left out the mid-field types we have got from other clubs, except Cousins, because if they have been released by another club there had to be a reason to do with class.

So they do not get traded by another club for down the list picks and walk into St Kilda's best 22 - because that does not say much about our best 22.

The rucks I have no option, because we have none of our own with McEvoy still at development level and needing to bulk up.

That said, I look for rebound from defence (and accountability) hence putting Montagna back (and I recall Beveridge saying he would make a class small defender) and crossing fingers Maguire can give us a presence at CHB, both accountable and attacking which Maguire is at his best - Blake can not bring that to the park and that is what we want at CHB - and to "free" S. Fisher.

Goddard needs to grab the game by the neck, and dominate - which he can not do in the positions he has been played in - one season back and now is the time.

Allen needs to give us the tall forward we have missed with Gehrig's decline and we are short a goal generating and kicking 191 cm (about) half forward - Gardiner, Gwilt and those tried are not up to it. They just do not kick goals.

that is a strange post

I can see where you are going with some of that but I would like to see it tried out in the NAB cup. Some are downright wierd. I would personally look at playing joey as a run with if you are looking at a defensive option for him. remember that ross is also looking at a backline of 190+ cm backs.

will be interesting to see where baker, goose are at come preseason. armo and geary need big preseasons. Not sure that the trade of ray means he is not a first 22 player. Has a big tank, which is what we lack currently. our outside mids lack gut running skill and both ray and cousins will bring this to the club.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith