More Press BS

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

More Press BS

Once again one of my favourites Michael Turner in Inside Football

"A preliminary final is as far as the current group at St.Kilda will ever go"

Thinking of sending that to RL as a bit of motivation for next year.

Go back to the window MT.

Of course the other thing we keep hearing from the press is that 4th flattered us.

Yet, last year when North (who seem to be the presses and AFL's love child) finished 4th and despite being beaten by over 100 points and 80 points in their matches with the top 2 teams, was tribute to the shinboner spirit.

Excuse me but I am so sick of this BS.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

You've also got to consider:

Apart from Michael Turner, the other "stars" at Inside Football are Crackers Keenan and David Schwarz !!

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Probably a fair comment, considering we are miles behind the top three.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:You've also got to consider:

Apart from Michael Turner, the other "stars" at Inside Football are Crackers Keenan and David Schwarz !!
Burkie?

saintsrus
SS Hall of Fame

Re: More Press BS

3rd generation saint wrote:
Go back to the window MT.
How did the story wind-up :D

Before Im 85
TimeToShineFellas
SS Hall of Fame

Technically he is correct

Players will retire, traded and be delisted.

So our "current" group will only get as far as a Prelim Final as we won't be "current" in a few weeks time.

Fair dinkum we get a bad rap from someone in a magazine and automatically they are set upon.

If we want to improve as a Club, hard decisions will have to be made by the people who are employed to make them.

I for one hope the entire playing list go on Saturday and see what opportunity they right royally stuffed up yet again. And I hope it burns deep deep inside them and gives them a mental kick up the arse!

So in the meantime people should suck it up, harden the hell up and get on with it!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

The thing is I dont beleive it was from lack of trying last week that we lost. We just lack the players to go with the top 3 sides so we need to make some hard decisions. Do we recruit really short term eg Cousins or do we do some trades for our mentally weak players and try and get a good 24 year old. Or do we trade for picks which is really risky but could have huge rewards later on.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Most people would have said the same thing about Geelong after the first few rounds of 2007.

Assuming that this fellow hasn't got a crystal ball (which he couldn't have, or else he'd be enjoying his life on a Carbbean Island rather than writing for Inside Football), then it's just his opinion. I don't happen to agree with it, but so what?

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

we are so precious

its hilarious

another reason how and why the supporters (or the majority) need to grow up

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
fonz_#15
SS Life Member

Saints Premiers 2008 wrote:we are so precious

its hilarious

absolutely..we are miles behind the top 2 teams and the finals prove that.

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

I don't think we're “milesâ€

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

its hilarious

Completely disagree, especially when it comes to the oft regurgitated line (especially by that ignoramus Sheahan) that 'St Kilda was fortunate to finish fourth' or that 'fourth flattered St Kilda'.

We finished fourth. No one else did. Full freakin' stop.

If it was the Kanga's that finished fourth, their 'boner spirit would be lauded. If it was the Pies, it would be Malthouse's genius in galvanising a young list under siege. If it was Adelaide, we'd be reading about Craig's scientific approach to coaching and how wonderfully well he'd done to extract goals out a team without forwards. If it was the Swans, it'd all be about Roos and his brave, ageing footsoldiers.

But when St Kilda comes home with a wet sail to earn fourth in a year where there' an OBVIOUS gap between the top three and fourth, all we get is how St Kilda fluked it, somehow wasn't worthy or shouldn't have got as far as they did, and that we somehow blew it or that teams that finished below us would have put up a better showing.

It is EXTREMELY irritating as a football fan to read this s***. And it's extraordinarily weak journalism to write crap without offering any cogent reasoning for it. Ignorance. Pure and simple.

I'm not precious about it. I don't think any of us are. You have to be thick-skinned to be a Sainter.

It's just intolerably aggravating.

yipper
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:The thing is I dont beleive it was from lack of trying last week that we lost. We just lack the players to go with the top 3 sides so we need to make some hard decisions. Do we recruit really short term eg Cousins or do we do some trades for our mentally weak players and try and get a good 24 year old. Or do we trade for picks which is really risky but could have huge rewards later on.
Why can't we do both? Short AND long term gain - i.e: get cousins and still try and inject plenty of youth / pace into the side. We will still have a fairly young list next season - and expect to have Goose and Bakes back as well. I actually think we're in a pretty good spot now - provided we don't do anything majorlly silly - we should have a run at success over the next few years.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:

its hilarious

Completely disagree, especially when it comes to the oft regurgitated line (especially by that ignoramus Sheahan) that 'St Kilda was fortunate to finish fourth' or that 'fourth flattered St Kilda'.

We finished fourth. No one else did. Full freakin' stop.

If it was the Kanga's that finished fourth, their 'boner spirit would be lauded. If it was the Pies, it would be Malthouse's genius in galvanising a young list under siege. If it was Adelaide, we'd be reading about Craig's scientific approach to coaching and how wonderfully well he'd done to extract goals out a team without forwards. If it was the Swans, it'd all be about Roos and his brave, ageing footsoldiers.

But when St Kilda comes home with a wet sail to earn fourth in a year where there' an OBVIOUS gap between the top three and fourth, all we get is how St Kilda fluked it, somehow wasn't worthy or shouldn't have got as far as they did, and that we somehow blew it or that teams that finished below us would have put up a better showing.

It is EXTREMELY irritating as a football fan to read this s***. And it's extraordinarily weak journalism to write crap without offering any cogent reasoning for it. Ignorance. Pure and simple.

I'm not precious about it. I don't think any of us are. You have to be thick-skinned to be a Sainter.

It's just intolerably aggravating.
Absolutely bang-on the money!!

I'm sick of hearing all the put-down rubbish as well! We're not doing too badly for a team whose window of opportunity has slammed shut :roll:

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
GrumpyOne

3rd generation saint wrote:Once again one of my favourites Michael Turner in Inside Football

Seeing as it was well known that Harvs would retire, he can't go wrong with that statement, as without Harvs the current group is no more. :roll:

It's like predicting it is dark in a coal mine.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

The window of opportunity is having a lock installed at the moment.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
degruch
Saintsational Legend

Give us two weeks off, some top players back from injury, we'd be playing a Grand Final this week.

fingers
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:Probably a fair comment, considering we are miles behind the top three.
Probably - but we are the only team that did what they had to do to finish 4th.

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

And if the Cats get beaten this Saturday (which I doubt) they'll most certainly implode :D So, bye bye, no more Cats to worry about in 09 :lol:

TimeToShineFellas
SS Hall of Fame

St. Luke wrote:And if the Cats get beaten this Saturday (which I doubt) they'll most certainly implode :D So, bye bye, no more Cats to worry about in 09 :lol:
Care to make a wager on that?

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

its hilarious

Spot on.

Couldn't agree more.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

HarveysDeciple

evertonfc wrote:

its hilarious

Spot on.

Couldn't agree more.
Did St.Kilda deserve to finish 4th?

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

HarveysDeciple wrote:
evertonfc wrote:

its hilarious

Spot on.

Couldn't agree more.
Did St.Kilda deserve to finish 4th?
Yes - for this season - because Geelong won so many games, as did the Hawks and Dogs NOT because we did a Bradbury!

IF the top 3 teams weren't so strong for most of the season, it would've taken a couple more wins to finish 4th, as it does most years.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
ace
Saintsational Legend

[quote="3rd generation saint"]
Yet, last year when North (who seem to be the presses and AFL's love child) finished 4th and despite being beaten by over 100 points and 80 points in their matches with the top 2 teams, was tribute to the shinboner spirit.
[/quote]

Of course North is the AFL's love child - what club did Demetriou play for?

AND WHY DOESN'T THIS QUOTE WORK?

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:
3rd generation saint wrote: Yet, last year when North (who seem to be the presses and AFL's love child) finished 4th and despite being beaten by over 100 points and 80 points in their matches with the top 2 teams, was tribute to the shinboner spirit.
Of course North is the AFL's love child - what club did Demetriou play for?

AND WHY DOESN'T THIS QUOTE WORK?
It works fine :wink:

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!