Malcolm unloads on Saints!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Malcolm unloads on Saints!

Aimed fair square at at our former president.....who probably cost us a premiership.....

He labelled the club poor, and compared his record as opposed to what has been achieved since...

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Blight and when and where any more details?

i_luv_nick_riewoldt
SS Life Member

Blight went off tap about the article in the paper today. About Butteress questioning his commitment. He said he didnt get much of a chance at a club who had only won 2 games the year before.

Butteres said he was never in the office... he countered that sayin he was planning game plans.

Go saints in '09!
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

On Ch.10 at Half Time......yes, of course Blighty...

Was fuming that Rod slurred, him, Peter Jonas and Ken Hinkley about not being committed...added that he was glad they left and went on to premiership success...

merlin
Club Player

never liked him, still dont, and i never will

getting blight at st.kilda was the most stupid thing we ever did, but sacking him was by far the best. The most boring person in the world to have to listen too. Channel 10, do us all a favour, get rid of him. :twisted:

taz
Club Player

Blight and and Channel 10

Blight's bilious outburst simply revealed what we all know the he hates St Kilda ..always did always will.

The fact is he thinks he is bigger that any football club!

Channel 10 gave him a soap box to stand on and throw mud at our club.

Boycott!

farquhar
Club Player

And Blight was dead right.

St Kilda would have won at least one flag under Blight.

Instead they swapped the best coach at the time with a country football coach.

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

whitch paper was the news article in?

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

farquhar wrote:And Blight was dead right.

It was pretty obvious to everyone that Blight wasn't going to win the saints a premiership.

brown-coat
SS Hall of Fame

Blight had Gehrig playing full back.

Alert alert alert.

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

brown-coat wrote:Blight had Gehrig playing full back.

Alert alert alert.

He came second or third in the B&F there.

brown-coat
SS Hall of Fame

In a bottom 2 side.

Impressive.

Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

Screw Blight. The results told the story took the money and coached from the golf course.

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
JeffDunne

Rod Butterss needs to keep his f***ing mouth shut.

He is the one responsible for digging up this s*** and I don't blame Blight for lobbing one back. The teams on the up, the club's trying to put the whole coaching sacking dramas behind us, and this dickwad has to drag this up?

To think he had the nerve to criticise others for doing the same.

Take your advice Rod and STFU and let those now in charge get on with running the football club you self-serving f***wit!!! :evil:

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

Just further proof that Rod Butterss is an absolute knob of the highest order. He has overseen a potential great period for the club and shoved it down the S bend.

And now he's as bad as John Elliott....Mr Slick Dial-A-Quote!!

Simply STFU.

Blight had every right to have a go back....he's kept silent for 7 years.....and he has a very very good point to make.

Butterss and his board were 'naive'.....his own words. And stupid, ego driven, mind blowingly dumb to the list.

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

JeffDunne wrote:Rod Butterss needs to keep his f***ing mouth shut.

He is the one responsible for digging up this s*** and I don't blame Blight for lobbing one back. The teams on the up, the club's trying to put the whole coaching sacking dramas behind us, and this dickwad has to drag this up?

To think he had the nerve to criticise others for doing the same.

Take your advice Rod and STFU and let those now in charge get on with running the football club you self-serving f***wit!!! :evil:

hear hear, even if it was true no need to bring it up

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Its OK Malcolm.

Nothing like a round of golf to calm your nerves.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
BakesFan
SS Life Member

Blight's main bone of contention in his rant was that his commitment to the Saints was questioned.
I'm paraphrasing but his words were along the lines of;

"Question some of the decisions I made; everyone has an opinion. But don't question my commitment"

"The assistants I brought to St Kilda went on to share in Premiership success at other clubs"

"It's just a WANK!" :shock:
Last edited by BakesFan on Sat 19 Jul 2008 11:27pm, edited 2 times in total.

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.(Eleanor Roosevelt)
bigred
Saintsational Legend

It's bulls***.

He was playing golf when he SHOULD have been at training.

UNDENIABLE.

With his assistant coaches.

OFTEN.

Maybe thats where they were hatching their plans......

pfffft.

Whatever.

His contribution to our club was to "coach" (if you can call it that) for six months....for a lazy 2 Mil.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
stinger
Saintsational Legend

when i read the article this morning i just new blight would have a go back....i thought ..you arsewipe butterball...why the hell ddn't you just stfu.....creep....

...what he doesn't realise that blight is generally loved by the footy public whilst buttarse is despised....

anyway here's the article....

" SEVEN years after then maverick St Kilda president Rod Butterss rocked the football world, he has a confession to make.

The decision to dismiss Malcolm Blight as coach 15 rounds into his first season was entirely justified, Butterss says, but the timing was poor.

"I think it was the right decision, however, in hindsight, we probably should have waited 'til the end of the year," he told the Herald Sun.

He said he and his fellow directors were naive and gung-ho.

"We were young, we were inexperienced, we were impatient, we were passionate, wildly passionate, about the challenge, and and we had grand plans."

He was talking on the seventh anniversary of the decision that stunned the game - the dismissal of a champion player and dual premiership coach by lowly St Kilda.

It was a monumental decision by a group of men seen to be acting with undue haste and, according to many, a decided lack of respect for both protocol and an icon of the game.

"I don't reflect on it, however, I do know that administrators that get involved in this game and think it's going to be a soda have got a lot to learn," Butterss said.

"Three years in, we would have let the season run its course."

Blight, who had taken Geelong and Adelaide to five Grand Finals as a coach, lasted just 15 games after being lured out of retirement by Butterss and his group.

He had been secured on the irresistible offer of $1 million just to walk in the door at Moorabbin.

After only three wins and what the Butterss board regarded as a lack of commitment, the Saints did the unthinkable, summoning Blight to a meeting in July and telling him "it's over".

"I rang him at 7 o'clock one morning and said, 'Mate, I need to talk to you'," Butterss said.

"By the tone of his voice, I thought he understood there was a problem.

"We just sat him down and I said, 'Matey, it's all over'."

Blight departed St Kilda immediately and the pair has not spoken since.

Butterss says the Blight appointment was a bold, imaginative decision that turned sour.

"I just think we were somewhat in awe and, sadly, because of that, threw the guidelines and the rule books and the processes out the window.

"In our defence, we went with a bloke who had had great success at Geelong and Adelaide, and I remember thinking to myself, 'Under this bloke's guidance and tutelage, we're almost certain to play finals'.

"I think Malcolm would have been better off left in retirement."

At the time Butterss told the media: "We were of the view that Malcolm Blight did not embrace our football club."

Butterss accepts the Saints may have humiliated a football great.

"Probably, yeah, but that was never our objective. When you get involved in a footy club at AFL level and you have a goal - to win a premiership - anything that gets in your way you stamp on," he said.

"We (on the board) were all Saints people and we desperately wanted to see the club gain some self-esteem and respect in the market place, and were all committed to delivering a premiership.

"It wouldn't have mattered at the time who or what got in the way, your focus was so intense that you would just knock it over."

Butterss says he was completely naive back then.

"We thoroughly underestimated the challenges and the complexities involved. I remember thinking when I first got involved (2001), 'This is a $20 million business with 50 employees, this is a soda'," Butterss said.

"You soon realise it's not. It's a brutal, ruthless, highly exposed business.

"We made the mistake of under-estimating the nature of the industry. Sadly, we made an appointment which was inappropriate for the time."

"Why? Firstly, I met Malcolm and I was in awe of the man because he had achieved absolutely everything in footy as a player and as a coach, and he's probably the most charming human being in football.

"So, this young, go-for-it president meets this icon of the game and probably fails to recognise the difficulties that a coach faces day-in, day-out.

"In hindsight, you need to be more aware of the environment you're operating in.

"You need people around you with enough history and experience to tap you on the shoulder at certain times and say, 'Hey, let's slow down and have a think about this one', and I fell for that one hook, line and sinker."

St Kilda originally involved Blight in the exercise of finding a successor to Tim Watson, steadily embracing the notion of installing the man himself.

"When that happened, we decided we needed to make a statement to Malcolm on two fronts: one, we were committed to turning the Saints around, whatever it took; two, we had to tempt him with a very powerful statement.

"We thought we had to deliver a knockout blow and capture his attention, and we certainly did that."

Butterss and then director Grant Thomas, who had been handling the negotiations from the outset, guaranteed him $1 million to coach the Saints for the first of two years, market value with a premium in the second.

"I remember saying to him, 'Here's an opportunity to come back to Melbourne and coach a foundation club', a club that had never really achieved any of its potential, a club that almost everybody in the industry looked down their nose at.

"What a great challenge. He's a romantic and he did get interested and somewhat challenged by that prospect."

Not for the first time, a serviette was used to formalise a landmark agreement.

"Whilst I have to say we, the young administration, made a huge mistake in luring him into the role, it did give the club an enormous fillip," Butterss said.

"It was amazing to see staff and players and supporters and sponsors almost in bewilderment as to 'how the hell did you do that'. Membership went through the roof, sponsors from the past were jumping on board.

"However, in terms of the requirement for administrations to make good decisions for the long and medium term, we erred. We had attracted a lot of young and new players; we had a five-year plan and I don't think Malcolm is a five-year planner.

"He's more about the immediate contest, better suited to coaching mature-age sides who are ready to execute.

"I think coaching went through a serious change around that time where there was much greater emphasis on science, technology, innovation, statistics, and I think Malcolm was an intuitive coach."

Butterss said the warning bells sounded alarmingly early.

"Pretty early, yeah, pretty early. Our chief executive officer of the day (Jim Watts) was a pretty experienced operator and he called me in February and said, 'I've got some real concerns'," Butterss said.

"He didn't think the passion was there, that Malcolm wasn't spending a lot of time in the office and with a young list.

"It came out of the blue (to me). I remember thinking, 'Oh my God, what have we done?'

"We tried to get closer, build some rapport, talk about the mission, the journey, the process, what's required, but not much changed."

Butterss is philosophical about the fallout with Blight.

"You'd like to think one day there's a coffee or a beer, or a game of golf, but . . ."

....you would have to wonder why sheahan is dredging up this sort of crap now.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

rod grant and Blighty have SFA to do with St Kilda in the present and in the future seriously the fact that these three are even relevent is beyond me

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
stinger
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:rod grant and Blighty have SFA to do with St Kilda in the present and in the future seriously the fact that these three are even relevent is beyond me

wot i said... :roll: :roll: :roll:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Club Player

what a load of s***. calling st kilda a s*** club!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i will spit on him

JeffDunne

123 wrote:what a load of s***. calling st kilda a s*** club!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i will spit on him
Don't sweat it. Footy Karma took care of that statement.

Malcom is always going to win the PR war. It's why it was so stupid and 'naive' of Rod SoftAs to raise it.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

farquhar wrote:And Blight was dead right.

who knows? but MB has a super sized ego.