Fiora..

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

realdeal
Club Player

Fiora..

well.. i didn't expect to see him play for us again.

I suspect this is his last chance (again), maybe to help beat the Hawks cluster with his long kicking.

Birss seems is a bit stiff..

S.A Saint
Club Player

mate i am not happy with the selection of fiora especially when geary and birss have been playing better than him at the scorps.

Bowey Boy
Club Player

He is a front runner and can play really well....just as long as the rest of the team is already !!!

"I think, 'You kick a footy mate, you kick a footy. It's not like you've got a cure for cancer. You kick a footy, stop thinking you are so special'." - Samantha Black
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Give it a rest fellas - lets get behind the team - this is a huge game for us!!

Carna the Saints!! :twisted:

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
BelfastSaint
Club Player

For goodness sake ....just give him a go ...
All the bleating,whinging and moaning over his selection doesnt matter one iota as no armchair coach from this site can actually change or influence anything...
This may or may not be his last crack at the big time and I feel we should concentrate on what he can offer the team this week if he plays anywhere near his best ...

S.A Saint
Club Player

the only reason im not 100% agreeing with this decision is that 2 other players have played better than him for scorps in geary and birss, with geary getting 2 bog. if however fiora had the 2 bog than by all means select him.

Top4King
Club Player

he has some positive attributes that others lack ie. the long probing kick. he has been made to look worse because ppl haven't run onto his kicks. i'm not his mate, but anyone who bags him clearly has no idea.

mick13
Club Player

S.A Saint wrote:the only reason im not 100% agreeing with this decision is that 2 other players have played better than him for scorps in geary and birss, with geary getting 2 bog. if however fiora had the 2 bog than by all means select him.
Geary's time will come, hes only 19....

Birss on the other hand, very very stiff.

Red
Club Player

He's obviously done what the match committee has asked.

S.A Saint
Club Player

im not bagging him, he is a good player when up and running with the rest of the team. i just feel that there are one or two other who have got better form then him thats all.

realdeal
Club Player

i did mention what he was good at and why he may have been selected.. his long kicking.

Wasn't really expecting his selection. I hope he kicks ass.

Talking about current selected teams must be better than the usual GT vs whoever stuff from distant past..

hopefully w can talk about the ins and out for finals games soon (fingers crossed)

4ever_saint
Club Player

bit stiff on gearys part but i guess fiora is better than allen. hopefully ross has told him that this is his last chance and he actually puts in and i mean, i assume ross has given him a role for this week that couldnt be filled by geary.

The Saintsational Man
Club Player

I'll admit.....I was originally upset.....but, it's happened, lets now look forward to the game and hope we get a massive win.

Carn Saints!!!

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

I was extremely surprised at his selection, but I hope he can prove the coaching panels faith in him.

Quietly fuming that it's not Birss, but i'm okay with the non-selection of Geary. He was doing less than Fiora's worst last time he played.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Fairdinkum- the team should have been unchanged!

Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

Horses 4 courses. No doubt he's been picked for his long kicking, to help break the lines.

I'd be surprised if he's not instructed to kick long at every opportunity into our forwards so we get a 2 on 2 or 3 on 3 situation. Hawthorn run as hard as anyone and seem to always have a lot back in defence. I am sure thats why he's been picked.

Who knows, may be the matchwinning move, I certainly hope so. dont bag the crap out of him before the game.

He's a totally diffirent type to Geary or Birss, and obviously the type they were looking to play this weekend.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

no point pyssing and moaning about it at this stage...

I have a good feeling about this game...

I really do.

Faaaaaaaaaaarrrrk if they could pinch this one........

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

S.A Saint wrote:mate i am not happy with the selection of fiora especially when geary and birss have been playing better than him at the scorps.
I assume the S.A stands for South Australia?

Have you been on a road trip watching Casey games of late?

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Top4King wrote:he has some positive attributes that others lack ie. the long probing kick. he has been made to look worse because ppl haven't run onto his kicks. i'm not his mate, but anyone who bags him clearly has no idea.
You have got to be joking right?
He's a very good player for the VFL but he is and always has been far from AFL quality, we always hear about how beautiful a kick he is and how much pace he has, how come we never see it?

I am not at all happy about this, it is a major step backwards, the young players have brought in so much enthusiasm over the past few weeks and then we go back to Fiora... Allen had to be dropped but Geary has been in better form and has more of an upside...

I thought his last chance was supposed to be the Brisbane match earlier in the season where his 6 touch match saw him amongst the worst on ground...

Now I HOPE so much that I am wrong, I would love it if he kicked 4 goals and single handedly won the game for us, but let's be serious, he is not good enough....

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:Fairdinkum- the team should have been unchanged!
no way.

Allen didn't deserve selection, he hasn't done enough in the past 2 weeks, too many players pressing for selection.

Anthony Rock hinted at Fiora's selection in a saints.com.au article the other day, so they'd made their minds up back then it seems.

Birss is very stiff, but I'm confident he'll be back in the ones soon.

Schneider deserved the recall, but like Fi, has to perform or should get dumped pretty quickly.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Armoooo wrote:
Top4King wrote:he has some positive attributes that others lack ie. the long probing kick. he has been made to look worse because ppl haven't run onto his kicks. i'm not his mate, but anyone who bags him clearly has no idea.
You have got to be joking right?
He's a very good player for the VFL but he is and always has been far from AFL quality, we always hear about how beautiful a kick he is and how much pace he has, how come we never see it?

I am not at all happy about this, it is a major step backwards, the young players have brought in so much enthusiasm over the past few weeks and then we go back to Fiora... Allen had to be dropped but Geary has been in better form and has more of an upside...

I thought his last chance was supposed to be the Brisbane match earlier in the season where his 6 touch match saw him amongst the worst on ground...

Now I HOPE so much that I am wrong, I would love it if he kicked 4 goals and single handedly won the game for us, but let's be serious, he is not good enough....
Get over it.

1) You were able to find a worst on ground for the Brisbane game? Well done.....I found it very hard to separate the 22 individuals whom wore the Saints jumper that day.

2) Our own Captain dosn't kick 4 goals in a game and he gets the ball kicked to him every forward entry we get? Maybe re-assess what you require out of Fioras game....Especially as he will be coming on or off the bench.

3) And most importantly you never see Fiora's kicking and pace because he has been playing 2nds.....Get with the program.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Far from AFL standard......only played 135 games.....seriously mate.

He has not lived up to expectation, yes......but he has that expectation for a reason.

In fact he has had a very underwhelming AFL career, but a career none the less (again 135 games) and you DO NOT have an AFL career beyond 100 games if you are a s*** footballer.....his career has been littered with highlights....and flashes of brilliance....

I can remeber at least 5 awesome running goals.....

and 5 unbelievable marks....two in particular where awesome...

Some absolute courage aswell at times...

and a very good 2007.....

but he has had some poor performances aswell......a confidence player with real talant......but has some deficiencies...

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
spert wrote:Fairdinkum- the team should have been unchanged!
Birss is very stiff, but I'm confident he'll be back in the ones soon.
Whats the point, he will only get dropped again after two weeks...
I have no idea why we're not giving this bloke a chance, he could be so useful as a forward tagger that can snag a couple a game...
Every team has a dangerous back flanker who can cause chaos, if he could keep them quiet (which he can) and kick one or two goals a game he could become a very handy player for us... We would no longer have to fear the likes of McLeod, Heath Shaw, Guerra, Kenelly, Gilbee etc. etc.

384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote: Get over it.

1) You were able to find a worst on ground for the Brisbane game? Well done.....I found it very hard to separate the 22 individuals whom wore the Saints jumper that day.

2) Our own Captain dosn't kick 4 goals in a game and he gets the ball kicked to him every forward entry we get? Maybe re-assess what you require out of Fioras game....Especially as he will be coming on or off the bench.

3) And most importantly you never see Fiora's kicking and pace because he has been playing 2nds.....Get with the program.
1) Fiora was disgraceful, while the whole team was terrible he was a clear standout, in a match where he was supposed to be playing for his career.

2) I don't expect him to kick 4 goals a game, I was just saying I hope he proves me wrong and gets BOG this week, sorry if I didn't make that clear enough.

3) He has been playing in the twos for one season, what about the rest of his career where he was ridiculously overrated because he goes alright in a pressure free training drill...

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

S.A Saint wrote:the only reason im not 100% agreeing with this decision is that 2 other players have played better than him for scorps in geary and birss, with geary getting 2 bog. if however fiora had the 2 bog than by all means select him.
Geary got 40 touches last week for Casey. He must be belting the door down !!