McEvoy's Hitouts

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

ace
Saintsational Legend

McEvoy's Hitouts

Did anyone else spot that everyone of McEvoy's hit outs landed in the hands of a St Kilda player in the clear.
Tremendous statistic huh.
Pity his total number of hitouts was zero.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
thehandbrake
Club Player

Completely useless post.

Hope you're proud of yourself.

ace
Saintsational Legend

Sorry for not making it simple for you handbrake.
The point is if a ruckman does not get a hitout his ruckwork is almost useless (except if his efforts hamper the opposing ruckman).
4 marks, 5 kicks, 1 handpass are not the sort of stats you want from a ruckman if he gets zero hitouts.
It was McEvoy's first game but you would expect that in his primary role he would have got more hitouts than the centre half forward Riewoldt who got 2.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:It was McEvoy's first game but you would expect that in his primary role he would have got more hitouts than the centre half forward Riewoldt who got 2.
I wouldn't. Ruck work is one of the hardest skills to master - especially if umpires bounce rather than throw up the ball. (I am still in favour of the bounce, by the way). This is why I caution people who want to beat up young players before they are really ready. This is self defeating. It is one thing to master the game when you are 17 and the rest of your opponents are 17, but in the AFL, you compete against 18YOs, 19YOs, 20YOs, etc.

Having said that, and given that he was up against Sandilands, I thought his debut showed me more than the others, regardless of possessions. That is not to say I am willing to anoint his as a star or "gun", something which some do before the player has even played a game, but he knew where to run to on the ground. Big step. He's 200 cm, so the ruck skills will come if he works hard and is well taught.

As a first game, I gave it 8 out of ten.

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

I thought he showed the required endeavour and enthusiasm.

Tough gig to come up against two monster rucks in Sandy and Warnie.

Didnt learn too much from his game last night but should get another chance.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

first game

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

I love McEvoy just for the enthusiam and effort he brings to the table, i don't know if he will ever be a great ruckman but I see him being a very promising 2nd ruckman who can drift forward regularly... Now all we need is a number 1 ruckman...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
Winmar7Fan
Club Player

Are we getting that pathetic we're ripping into a young kid in his first game? Lets just delist him now this is getting beyond a joke.
Last edited by Winmar7Fan on Sat 21 Jun 2008 5:25pm, edited 1 time in total.

saints11
Club Player

he was rucking against the 2 tallest players in the league (pretty much) in his first game aswell

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Winmar7Fan wrote:Are we getting that pathetic we're ripping into a young kid in his first game? Lets just delist him now this is getting beyond a joke.
One poster did, not all of us, try reading the replies before you throw us all in the same basket...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

He took some terrific marks and I for one would like to see him played more as a forward/ruckman.

We could use his marking ability down forward for now, which will give his body time to develop to where he can physically compete in the ruck.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Re: McEvoy's Hitouts

ace wrote:Did anyone else spot that everyone of McEvoy's hit outs landed in the hands of a St Kilda player in the clear.
Want more people to respect what you post? Dont smartass sledge players making their debut.

That big contested mark he took in the 3rd qtr told me more about him than any hitouts he was ever gonna get against the 2 neanderthal rockapes

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
True Blue Sainter
Club Player

Re: McEvoy's Hitouts

saint66au wrote:
ace wrote:Did anyone else spot that everyone of McEvoy's hit outs landed in the hands of a St Kilda player in the clear.
Want more people to respect what you post? Dont smartass sledge players making their debut.

That big contested mark he took in the 3rd qtr told me more about him than any hitouts he was ever gonna get against the 2 neanderthal rockapes
Bang on the money S66AU! That was an absolute gem of a mark... On the lead, and outnumbered 2 to 1 wasn't he?

The Saints are coming!
Zippy
Club Player

He's had more than enough time to learn!!!! on the list for almost a year, and he was out there for TWO WHOLE HOURS!!! He's shown he's not up to standard, and never will be, so lets delist him now and get some youth in who can actually learn!

Blindly delusional optimist. Fan of the Blake.

"If anyone disagrees with anything I say, I am quite prepared not only to retract it, but also to deny under oath that I ever said itâ€
my les foote
Club Player

WORST THREAD EVER

Win it for HIM!
Winmar7Fan
Club Player

Armoooo wrote:
Winmar7Fan wrote:Are we getting that pathetic we're ripping into a young kid in his first game? Lets just delist him now this is getting beyond a joke.
One poster did, not all of us, try reading the replies before you throw us all in the same basket...
I'm sure it's obvious it's a figure of speech when i said WE do think I mean myself as well ???

hotdish
Club Player

who cares he didn't get a hitout - he was playing against two ruckmen who were over 204cm tall...

regardless, the most important thing to remember is this....

McEvoy >>>> Scarecrow>>>> RIX

Sobraz
SS Life Member

IMO BigMac showed a hell of alot.... He has a footy brain and a skill set that will make him a 10 year player... Clearly undersized, but showed initiative in trying different angles and positions to win taps..

His hands overhead are supurb, and has a good tank..

As for the creator of this thread in general, clearly a person who reads the sun stats and makes judgements from there....clearly no idea, and shouldnt be taken seriously by anyone on this forum looking for constructive footy talk...

Saints94
SS Life Member

He is gonna become the next dean cox, I am Ben Mcevoy's # 1 fan

fonz_#15
SS Life Member

f*** me are you serious?????? the kid played his first game, he is still rather skinny, and his body is developing...he faced a 211cm giant with a bigger body, and another ruckman who is a lot stronger as well (not to mention that he is a dirty dog).

ben's endeavour was great and he didn't look lost out there.

i'm not sure wghat the clearance stats were, but i don't think ben's ruckwork or time in the ruck gave freo the chance to dominate midfield.

before posting crap liek the OP have a think and try and support the youing bloke FFS

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
Saints94
SS Life Member

fonz_#15 wrote:f*** me are you serious?????? the kid played his first game, he is still rather skinny, and his body is developing...he faced a 211cm giant with a bigger body, and another ruckman who is a lot stronger as well (not to mention that he is a dirty dog).

ben's endeavour was great and he didn't look lost out there.

i'm not sure wghat the clearance stats were, but i don't think ben's ruckwork or time in the ruck gave freo the chance to dominate midfield.

before posting crap liek the OP have a think and try and support the youing bloke FFS
Like I say mate everyone has opinions

bethb7
Club Player

He dubut against a 7 foot giant he didn't do much on the hitouts but he did some good work around the ground I like him.

If you can't give the commitment you gave this year and you don't want to improve, you can go because we have unfinished business-Ross Lyon
Shaggy
Club Player

Spider struggled to get a hit out in his first four years.

I was impressed with Big Mac's poise around the ground. He should have gained a fair bit of confidence from his first game.

marksnsparks
Club Player

I bloody sick of wasting my eye muscles on reading the superfluous, negative bulls**t ouzing out of aces keyboard.

Why don't you pi** off ace and write on the forum of your own club and leave us real saints fans to discuss real issues sensibly?

iceman
Club Player

We know going into the game and from watching the casey games that he would struggle in actual ruck contests, but I was interested to see how he did around the ground, and with only 50% game time had alot to hold his head up for. How many other 18 year old Ruckman are running around at the moment?? Look at -Hawthorns combo, taken 6 years of development to come good. The kid has a bright future and handles himself very well. (anyone hear post game intervies??) his leadership attributes are going to be a major feature in the furure.

Well done Ben!