Is this leadership?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Is this leadership?

RL: " I just facilitated the information that was put in front of me, at the SCG, and the byproduct of it is that Milne and Dal Santo have been dropped."

Facilitated....byproduct ????

Talk about using the passive voice....If you're going to drop them at least say "I dropped them"...not I facilitated some information and the inevitable outcome was that they were dropped.

Is this bloke really from Reservoir?

I wonder what information would be required to facilitate the byproduct of dropping the coach. (losing at home to Freo?)

All the best to the new boys, I look forward to them playing tonight, and we do need some new blood.

But even more we need some genuine leadership and inspiration from the coach - I can't remember hearing even a hint of passion from this bloke since he got here....and guess what...after 18 mths we're playing without passion.

Nee!
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

It is a pretty lame way of not taking responsibility for making a 'tough decision'.

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

A bit amusing as a way of describing the process actually - facilitate implies a personal level of input... from the free online dictionary, facilitate means: "To make easy or easier".

So he's created a situation where the information he gets tells him that Dal and Milne should be dropped.

Which amuses me because I'd say it's a more accurate reflection of what's happened than what he meant to say, which I think was that after weighing up the performances on the merits, those 2 hadn't cut it.

But good on him for being verbose in an attempt to obfuscate... happily for us it's not his linguistic skills that he was hired for.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Good article on 'footy-speak' here, railing against coaches such as lyons and knights:

"modern footy-speak; an insidious, jargon-stuffed language concocted by coaches to explain - or rather obscure - the game in ever more complicated terms.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,865 ... 11,00.html

Here's another gem from Lyons:
"WE fell down in the basics, really, the three phases of the game; contest, pressure and use. It is not catastrophic. It is in isolation but in the context of the season we are two and one, and we play the benchmark team next week so that will really switch us on mentally straight away. We will analyse the mechanics of why that happened and we will train it up on the track."

"What Lyon was trying to say was simple enough: "We got belted, I don't know why, we'll have to get better before we play Geelong." What he actually said meant nothing at all. "

"What we love about language is its capacity to paint word pictures. Lose the language and we lose the window into the game. It would be like watching it as deaf mutes. The worry is the media will end up despairing and simply writing down what the coach says and begin to perceive the game in the same way"

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

its funny, its the players fault, i'm perfect, they are the failure.

I wonder who RL blamed when RL was a crappy player chasing cheap kicks in the fitzroy forward line.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
JeffDunne

"The system just dictated that we respond."
:lol: :lol: :lol:

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

I think what he meant to say was....

"It's a big call, and potentially a big mistake. However, I didn't personally make the call. I'm hiding behind the fact that our 'system' made the call. I just really delivered the message."

It's a technique used by Management all the time. Blame the company and the system for someone getting sacked or not getting a pay rise. However when delivering good news, you often find that the same Managers will take the credit for it.

In a footy club environment, young footballers need to know who the boss is. By deflecting the responsibility of a tough call, the head coach isn't making a statement at all.

The players find themselves playing for a faceless entity. Playing a role for a system. Doing a job to tick boxes on paper - rather than giving 100% for a person they have to look in the eyes after the game.

The decision to drop Milne and Dal I'm Ok with - the way Lyon explained it in the above quote is a huge concern and potentially the reason we're in the posi we're in.

Is Lyon the boss? Is he in charge? Or is he simply a facilitator of a 'system'?

Saint Mik
Club Player

The dropped players are a decision that has been made at a selection meeting, the meeting would have certain systems in place for selection of the team.

I cant see what the problem is?

The players didnt stack up, and after weeks of leaving them in the side to turn it around they havent.

Why do we need any further explanation, its only those who are love struck by certain players that seem to have an issue.

Forget the past, Saints footy, One better in 2010
JeffDunne

Saint Mik wrote:I cant see what the problem is?
The 'problem' is Ross never taking any responsibility himself.

Would you want to follow this bloke into battle? :?

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Saint Mik wrote:The dropped players are a decision that has been made at a selection meeting, the meeting would have certain systems in place for selection of the team.

I cant see what the problem is?

The players didnt stack up, and after weeks of leaving them in the side to turn it around they havent.

Why do we need any further explanation, its only those who are love struck by certain players that seem to have an issue.
That seems to be the issue Saint Mik - we were given further explanation and Lyon suggested it isn't as clear cut as him dropping two 'big name' players.

If it was, if simply made a 'tough' call then fine. But he hasn't really taken responsibility for it.

supersaints
Club Player

JeffDunne wrote:

You have hit the nail right on the head. :cry:

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
krabb
Club Player

The continual rubbishing of Lyon on here is laughable.

Do you all think before the rubbish spews out of your gobs?

Suck it up....we have 3 new players in the team...its a breath of fresh air...and its what most on here have been screaming about.

So poor old Dal was dropped...bigdeal!

Maybe now he'll take his head out of his @rse and wake up.

Great move by the Coach or the selection team or whoever...

Good luck to the 3 new kids...

Saint Mik
Club Player

People forgett that the responsibility for players being dropped actually falls onto the players.

You can't tell me that Dal and Milney didn't know this was coming.

Its not RL's responsibilty to change the player it is up to the player himself anything else is just dodging the real issue.

LAZY players will not get a game in this side when we are losing when we are winning the glasses are on and nobody but the coach can see certain things.

Why does RL need to take responsibility for two players that are not cutting the mustard, blaming RL is just an easy deflection of the real issue.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

krabb wrote:

Why will he?

Who's he trying to prove something to? The 'system'?

JeffDunne

I don't think anyone has a problem with him making tough calls or giving kids an opportunity. In fact most have been screaming for it all year.

We'd just like HIM to take responsibility for his decisions.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

krabb wrote:
Apparently it was 'whoever'.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Re: Is this leadership?

fugazi wrote:RL: " I just facilitated the information that was put in front of me, at the SCG, and the byproduct of it is that Milne and Dal Santo have been dropped."

Talk about using the passive voice....If you're going to drop them at least say "I dropped them"...not I facilitated some information and the inevitable outcome was that they were dropped.

I wonder what information would be required to facilitate the byproduct of dropping the coach. (losing at home to Freo?)

All the best to the new boys, I look forward to them playing tonight, and we do need some new blood.

But even more we need some genuine leadership and inspiration from the coach - I can't remember hearing even a hint of passion from this bloke since he got here....and guess what...after 18 mths we're playing without passion.
talk about mangling the english language. he sounds like a manual for a electronics product written by a chinese company. boring and incorrect use of the language.

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

krabb wrote:The continual rubbishing of Lyon on here is laughable.

Suck it up....we have 3 new players in the team...its a breath of fresh air...and its what most on here have been screaming about.

I think you're missing the point of the thread Krabb, which is that the verbal diarrhea that dribbled from the coaches mouth about why they got dropped. No one on this thread is disputing that it wasn't a good mood. Everyone just wanted Ross to say 'they haven't been doing what I want them to do & they will spend some time at casey working on those skills'.

Simple stuff. I'm the coach, we made the decision as a match committee but the buck stops with me.

It was all very deflective & smacked of not wanting to take the heat. Strange when the decision is something that the majority of supporters would support.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

JeffDunne wrote:

No one would want you following them anywhere....let alone down a dark alley... :wink:

“Yeah….nah””
Ice Wolf
Club Player

Animal Enclosure wrote:
krabb wrote:The continual rubbishing of Lyon on here is laughable.

I think you're missing the point of the thread Krabb, which is that the verbal diarrhea that dribbled from the coaches mouth about why they got dropped. No one on this thread is disputing that it wasn't a good mood. Everyone just wanted Ross to say 'they haven't been doing what I want them to do & they will spend some time at casey working on those skills'.

Simple stuff. I'm the coach, we made the decision as a match committee but the buck stops with me.

It was all very deflective & smacked of not wanting to take the heat. Strange when the decision is something that the majority of supporters would support.
That's probably exactly the sort of things he said to the players. I have no problem with him screwing around with the media.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Re: Is this leadership?

Con Gorozidis wrote:
fugazi wrote:RL: " I just facilitated the information that was put in front of me, at the SCG, and the byproduct of it is that Milne and Dal Santo have been dropped."

talk about mangling the english language. he sounds like a manual for a electronics product written by a chinese company. boring and incorrect use of the language.
Good call Con.

I prefered the previous dill with the:

Belief Clouds......
Process going forward.....
Exiting him in....
Farting at Thunder.....

That was much more palatable..

AT LEAST Lyon can describe where we fell down as opposed to "Im sorry I got outcoached" weekly.

“Yeah….nah””
JeffDunne

"Farting at thunder" is actually a pretty good description of what you're doing atm Teffers.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

when we don't need Ross to tell us he was outcoached, its pretty obvious he has no idea.

SHUT UP KRIME!
Saint Mik
Club Player

Lets sack him Dan!!! and let the tail wagg the dog, you know the good old St Kilda way :roll:

Roll with the punches princess we will be OK but only if we stick with the coach give him his dues and let him get a side together that will stand up when the pressure is on.

Dropping the players is the only way to find out who is going to stand up.

No matter who it is you will never be happy about it

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

Saint Mik wrote:Lets sack him Dan!!! and let the tail wagg the dog, you know the good old St Kilda way :roll:

Roll with the punches princess we will be OK but only if we stick with the coach give him his dues and let him get a side together that will stand up when the pressure is on.

Dropping the players is the only way to find out who is going to stand up.

No matter who it is you will never be happy about it
finding a coaching staff to take us forward not backward is what we should be doing.

it was pretty clear early on in Timmy's career that he had no idea, and was carried by the teams talent, as a consequence the team had to be rebuilt from scratch.

Its pretty clear early on that Ross Lyon has no idea and h e is being carried by the teams talent, but this time the kids are still in their mid 20s. We dont have to bottom out if we can address the situation quickly.

Another 18 months of Ross Lyon and their won't be an opportunity to bottom out again.

SHUT UP KRIME!