Bring on Ben Cousins

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

rixxo
Club Player

Bring on Ben Cousins

So its now time when the seasons is pretty much over and its time to think of next year why not try to coax cousins into playin for us .No offence but harves has been our best player for umpteen years and as i watched the game at the dome today when he finally calls it quits we need cousins in the middle .Also i think king and m. Gardiner are keepers keep them in to play out their careers at St.Kilda , get rid of Roo ,Kosi ,L fisher, both Clarks and get some new Blood in the team ,And keeping lyon for 10 years what a joke .

SainterX
Club Player

Nah, just throw everything including the kitchen sink at Kerr and Cox.

Wouldn't it be fun having Cuz and MG at the same club again? It will be like a tour, first on the West Coast now on the east LOL

A true king doesn't glass his girlfriend.
A true king doesn't smear his blood on an opponent when he cannot break a tag.
A true king does not label umpires disgraceful.
A true king is Robert Harvey.
Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

as good as kerr and cox are the so called super team can't win with them in the side.

frankly RL would probably play Kerr in the HBF or BP with instructions to not tell people he was instructed to kick backwards at every opportunity

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
matrix
Saintsational Legend

yeah brilliant.

we need more midfielders huh.

LENNY LEADS THE WAY
Club Player

matrixcutter wrote:yeah brilliant.

we need more midfielders huh.
Actually we do need more midfield depth

100 percent behind the saints 100 percent of the time
rixxo
Club Player

no offence matrix but after Harves goes we have next to no-one as Lyon plays Dal down back and hayes and ball need some one else to share the load .

SainterX
Club Player

Yes, we need more pure midfielders, not people like Dal Santo who play there part time.
Cox to Kerr to Riewoldt sounds damn good, and really, I would rather not have junkies at our club, making our club look even worse then we already are.
Does anyone seriously believe Cousins claim that he wants to be 1000 days drug free?
Has he broken that already? Almost certainly.
If you remember he was lined up for a fight on the Mundine undercard a while back, yet on finding out he had to submit a blood test subsequently withdrew from the fight.

A true king doesn't glass his girlfriend.
A true king doesn't smear his blood on an opponent when he cannot break a tag.
A true king does not label umpires disgraceful.
A true king is Robert Harvey.
matrix
Saintsational Legend

rixxo wrote:no offence matrix but after Harves goes we have next to no-one as Lyon plays Dal down back and hayes and ball need some one else to share the load .
um thats why we have joey and armo isnt it?

granted cousins is a great midfielder....but do we really want someone who is a liar and a drug addict at the club?...great player or not?

i will be highly disappointed if we pick up cousins than rather get some very young good talent that can be developed......im sick of this topping up bulls***

rixxo
Club Player

No he hasnt as before he can play Afl he has been drug tested monthly til the start of next season ,if he failed he wouldnt even qualify for VFL status and also you forget M.Gardiner was once an junkie and an alcoholic.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

rixxo wrote:No he hasnt as before he can play Afl he has been drug tested monthly til the start of next season ,if he failed he wouldnt even qualify for VFL status and also you forget M.Gardiner was once an junkie and an alcoholic.
ummm
no he hasnt what?

rixxo
Club Player

i meant he hasnt broken his soberness

matrix
Saintsational Legend

ok.

but really, we dont know that do we.
if he isnt an afl player...is he drug tested now?

look he can stick whatever he wants into his body, its his body after all.....
but taking a chance on a person who had (or still might) have a drug problem is not really the way to go for st kilda imo.

anyway, he wont be coming here to the saints.
surely not.

luckysaint
Club Player

Yeah, because picking up an aging mid is really going to help us...

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Why bother getting anyone? Not while we have a coach who fails to squeeze any ability or motivation out of the players. If we trade roo for, ooh lets say williams, (not that the hawks would make that trade), then roo would probably play with renewed confidence, remake his name, and we'd regret it, while williams would lose interest and become another dud tweak.

Listen to the coaches in interview - the good coaches show character, passion, and direction - lyons confuses and bores -why would we think that in addressing the players he is any different.

The buck stops with the coach - cull the entire coaching list - we did not get lyons with the view of needing 5 years to rebuild, he was given the position to tweak a genuine challenger and he has failed miserably! There is nothing in his CV that suggests he can build teams so why keep him!

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Capricornia
Club Player

rixxo wrote:No he hasnt as before he can play Afl he has been drug tested monthly til the start of next season ,if he failed he wouldnt even qualify for VFL status and also you forget M.Gardiner was once an junkie and an alcoholic.
I hate to burst your bubble but I want to give you the REALITY of the situation.

Once a junkie/alcoholic you are always a junkie/alcoholic. You can definitely make amends and recover from an addiction and go on to live a good life but you are never 100% cured from your addiction.

You have to watch yourself for the rest of your life and you can not have one drink or one line, one joint or pop one pill or else you're back to were you began. Skid row.

I was a drunk for 3 years of my life and I took my fair share of drugs during that period of time too. Im now recovering from it all and have a great/high paying job and a wonderful boyfriend and family. You would even say I have an amazing life! It wasnt always that way though and I had some nasty issues for awhile!

On Ben Cousins and whether he should be a saint- Absolutely not. When you're a recovering addict you soon learn to recognise the patterns that cause you to use drugs and drink to excess. Most of that pattern is to do with your friends and who you spend time with, the company you keep. As an addict you to learn to understand who the good friends are and who the bad friends are in your life.

There is no way anyone in their right mind would or should put Cousins and Gardiner back together again. Its plain stupidity and asking for trouble. I lived in Perth for along time, I went out and about, I met alot of people. Trust me, for the good of Robert Harvey and the St Kilda football club (Ive been a fan my whole life), you would not want to put Cousins and Gardiner together again. EVER.

howlinwolf
Club Player

It's good to see you've turned your life around Capricornia.

I'm not saying we should have Cousins at our club but I can say you're damned lucky your boyfriend doesn't have your views and has given you another chance. I would have thought considering how you've turned your life around you'd be more sympathetic to Cousins' chances of the same ?

Capricornia
Club Player

howlinwolf wrote:It's good to see you've turned your life around Capricornia.

I'm not saying we should have Cousins at our club but I can say you're damned lucky your boyfriend doesn't have your views and has given you another chance. I would have thought considering how you've turned your life around you'd be more sympathetic to Cousins' chances of the same ?
Absolutely Howlinwoof! If Ben Cousins has been able to rehabilitate like I have and then is able to get fit enough to play AFL again then he has every right to get a second chance at another club. I just dont think its a smart move by anybody (Cousins, Gardiner, The St Kilda football club) to put him or Gardiner or the entire St Kilda football club at risk by puting the two of them back together like old times.

Ben Cousins needs to go and play football in a different environment away from what he has done in the past. Michael Gardiner does not need to play football with Ben Cousins again and the St Kilda football club and its members and fans do not need the two of them together again.

When I decided I'd had enough of my life and its then current situation I had to make a choice about what my new life was going to be like. Part of my decision was to walk away from my old drinking buddies and partying mates because I had to recognise that when I put myself with those particularpeople I was in clear danger of doing exactly what I didnt want to do which was relapse! Its no different for any recovering addict, whether your Ben Cousins or Capricornia.

Let Cousins go to a new football club where he can make new friends and meet new people and gain another social group. Let him and his mate Gardiner catch up during the offeseason and the couple of weekends off that football players get each season. There is no need to tempt fate.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

I say the team could do with a bit of Benny's gear at the moment.

redwhite&blackblood
SS Hall of Fame

We need to rebuild not top up. Topping up is for team that have a serious chance of winning a flag. It has become very clear this year that we are no where near that level. Better to blood our kids we have now and rest injured stars to prepare for next year. We need a top 5 draft pick plus some serious trading of players to get more draft picks to move forward. This list is not going to do it so why keep moving in the same direction. We need to bring back the youth policy of Alves.

Bleeding Red, Black and White for 38 years!
Life Motto - Fortius Quo Fidelius
Raph "Cult Hero" Clarke Fan Club.
saintbob
SS Life Member

With poor old No.35 bowing out at the end of the year, and there's obviously no talent to come in and replace him I reckon Cousin's would be just what we need.
Don't forget this bloke was an absolute superstar, and 12 months away will have done him the world of good.
Just hope RL has a fair dinkum crack at getting him, as I'd hate to see him running around at an opposition club and carving us up especailly if it was Collingwood or Carlton !!!

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

You want the club to get a guy in with drug problems, who hasn't played for entire season and will take up a huge chunk of the salary cap?

"I don't think so, Tim"

rixxo
Club Player

Who saying we'll to pay him heaps if he wants to play AFL again he should jump at the offer we throw him we'd have more chance with Gardiner already there and my understanding is he has already been at some saints training sessions as a spec though so at the end of the day we just might get him cheap .

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Didn't Tim Allen play for St.Kilda?

As for Cousins, well, the coach seems to be on drugs so...

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs