Sign of our respect

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

howlinwolf
Club Player

Sign of our respect

Hello to all fellow Sainters.
A quick introduction ...
I am a new member to Saintsational. I have been a supporter since 1976. I joined as a member this year after many a year thinking about it. Shift work and the distance to Waverly and Moorabin made it difficult to get to too many games. Couple that to the fact I'm surrounded by Geelong fans down this way and have had few that have ever wanted to go to the footy with me.

Anyway I am glad to be a member and my daughter loves coming to Telstra Dome with me now. It's been a roller coaster ride following the Saints. Lots of hard times and some almost euphoric ones. Like 1997 when I thought we really were going to break the drought. Beating Adelaide in 2005 to go to the prelim was the best game I have seen the Saints play. Oh how I wish we went as hard as that again ! I want to buy that game on " name a game" !

Anyway, onto the topic. I have respected and admired Sir Robert Harvey for as long as anyone.
I feel terrible for him this year as we all do. If only the fairy tale could come true.
I have thought of an idea how we can all show our respect and gratitude for the man and his service to our club. What if we all cheered enough to lift the roof off TD EVERY single time Robert gets the ball every game until the end of the year ! What a mark of respect that would be. It would show everyone there INCLUDING his team mates what we think of him. Who knows what effect that will have on his team mates as well ? Possibly spur them on to a greater effort ?
I have passionately screamed my lungs out and waved our flag for all the games we've been to this year. Well, have at every game I've ever been to,especially against the Cats.
I was stunned how the roof lifted every time the Pies scored in that game in rd 8 and annoyed at our lack of passion.
If Robert were playing out his last games for Collingwood I am sure they'd lift the roof every time he touched it.
How much passion do we have for the Saints and our ornament to the game ?
As much as the power sides that laugh at us ?
This is the time to show the football public there is a culture at St Kilda they never knew about !
PRIDE PASSION
FORTIUS QUO FIDELIUS

The Doc
Club Player

Nice idea.

A simple single chant of "Banger" would work just as well as the old Woof for Ang Christou, the deep "oo" call for Cooney and Ricciuto, and I'm sure there are other examples out there.

Get on it Saints supporters!

2010 has a nice ring to it.
iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

I like the idea. Getting alot of our theatre goer fans up and going could be a issue...

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

Welcome howlinwolf, this place can get a bit feral at times (this week has been disgraceful!) But your passion and enthusiasm is a breath of fresh air. I think us older fans who sat through years and years of bottom two finishes are more tolerant of the bad days and look forward to the good days. And you are spot on, even if we don't win another game all year we owe it to Banger to front up week in and week out and cheer every kick and every hand ball. The guy is a champ and deserves nothing less

howlinwolf
Club Player

Thanks for the welcome !

It's ironic that you mention the "woof" everyone cheered for Val Perovic as I was trying to think of something similar that we could call out for Robert and that example of "woof" was what I was thinking about.Something along those lines.

Please think more about this as I feel we just can't let the legend finish his playing days the way it's going. It would be a sad reflection of us as a club if we did.

On a side note. I have been avidly checking into Saintsational for 8 months but have been hesitant to register as a member because, frankly some of the "terse" replies to posters has had me concerned. I think it'd be a better place with a little more respect and peace. Intelligent conversation between lovers of the St Kilda FC is where I'd enjoy some time.

Saint_Bronx
Club Player

excellent idea, robert harvey is about thee only reason ive watched our matches these past few weeks, god i hope he plays on 1 more season

matrix
Saintsational Legend

welcome to the madhouse 8-)

great idea
a simple 'harrrrvey' yelled out would be bloody great i reckon

so decide on what to say and spread the word, hopefully enough peeps who go to live games will read this thread and start something.
maybe the cheersquad could start it and the other peeps will follow??

bloody good idea i reckon howlinwolf :D

howlinwolf
Club Player

Just a suggestion...
Do you people think we could take suggestions for what the chant should be
eg
Banger
Haarvey
etc and then maybe run a poll to choose the most popular so we get it right for gameday ?

I think Haarvey rolls off the tongue o.k myself.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

last year in his 350th in perth we had the haaaaaarveeeeeeey chant going really well considering there was only about 400 of us sainters in the crowd that game we silenced the West coast fans

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

The 'Jerry! Jerry!' one every time Gehrig got the nut a couple of years ago was quality (in reference to the Jerry Seinfeld resemblance of course).

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:The 'Jerry! Jerry!' one every time Gehrig got the nut a couple of years ago was quality (in reference to the Jerry Seinfeld resemblance of course).
Ahhh yes....the MW used that one until someone from the Wing called him Jerry to his face one day at training...and got the evil stare he normally reserves for Matthew Scarlett or the front row of the Richmond Cheer Squad. We stopped after that lol

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Sainter_Boy
Club Player

Have we decided on a call

Maybe a simple "Bang"

howlinwolf
Club Player

That sounds like a good call Sainter Boy.
Bang ... it is.
We'll give it our best shot tomorrow :lol:
I'm not sure if we can get our passionate supporters to get into it though.
I just wish we had the passion of the Pies supporters.
I know they'd get it together if Harves was one of theirs.

esaint66
SS Life Member

howlinwolf wrote:That sounds like a good call Sainter Boy.
Bang ... it is.
We'll give it our best shot tomorrow :lol:
I'm not sure if we can get our passionate supporters to get into it though.
I just wish we had the passion of the Pies supporters.
I know they'd get it together if Harves was one of theirs.

Yeah maybe every kick he has or disposal.
Just like the old WOOF for Val Perovic.

Saintgaz
Club Player

You'll all go hoarse!

One day it's all got to be worth it.
Right????
esaint66
SS Life Member

Saintgaz wrote:
You'll all go hoarse!

True but its worth it to show our appreciation, BANG ! :lol:

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Great idea..."BANG" Let's have a crack at it.

esaint66
SS Life Member

How'd everyones 'Banging' :lol: go ????

I got my whole bay saying it :wink: :lol: :D

howlinwolf
Club Player

Good work Saint Edward. Where were you guys ?
We gave it our best from the MW but not much support. Gotta get the word around more perhaps.
I'd love nothing better than to hear that resonate through the dome every time he got the ball for 2008

esaint66
SS Life Member

howlinwolf wrote:Good work Saint Edward. Where were you guys ?
We gave it our best from the MW but not much support. Gotta get the word around more perhaps.
I'd love nothing better than to hear that resonate through the dome every time he got the ball for 2008

I was up at the Lockett end goals on the third level (i got there a bit late :oops: )

Sainter_Boy
Club Player

This has to happen every week - I got a few stares when I started it - but it started to catch on - tell everyone - it will - and soon it will be heard over the telecast and everyone will know that we KNOW who the king of the AFL is. He WILL hold the record for the most games played!