Alex Silvagni

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

Alex Silvagni

Alex Silvagni
Height: 192cm
Weight: 92kg
D.O.B: 1987-09-29

After watching the game on Saturday i was thinking how isn't Alex Silvagni on our list. At 192cm tall and weighing 92kg he is pretty much a ready made key defender. I think he would be a handy Rookie selection and would be able to cover down back if need be.

Can anyone shed any more info on him and what their thoughts are ??

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

Someone give him a hairbrush.

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
degruch
Saintsational Legend

DOB. Don't ya love it...kids in the team who weren't born when Harvs started going around.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Please don't recruit any more VFL grade footballers.

Recruit a decent 17 year old and develop him.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote:Please don't recruit any more VFL grade footballers.

thats what the rookie draft is to get guys who are VFL level to see if they can turn out to be handy players

would be worth a rookie pick as he seems to be in the teams best's every week

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:

thats what the rookie draft is to get guys who are VFL level to see if they can turn out to be handy players

Wall is a better player than Silvagni, and he has been through 2 rookie drafts with different teams.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

Geelong drafted Egan and Stokes from their VFL side. Hawthorn got Mitchell and Taylor from theirs. I'm not saying any of the Casey listed players are AFL calibre, but we shouldn't rule them out just because they're VFL listed.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
Solar
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:

Wall is a better player than Silvagni, and he has been through 2 rookie drafts with different teams.
disagree

Wall is a taller player who can hold a player but could not put on weight if he wanted to. Silvagni on the other hand is more a third tall who can read the play very well, takes good marks and uses the ball very well. Would be playing for victoria if he was playing VFL football with the likes of willy, sandy or port melbourne. Is also only 21?

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:
Geelong drafted Egan and Stokes from their VFL side. Hawthorn got Mitchell and Taylor from theirs. I'm not saying any of the Casey listed players are AFL calibre, but we shouldn't rule them out just because they're VFL listed.
There's a difference between being a "VFL listed footballer" and a "VFL grade footballer", I'd like to think Silvagni could step up and play FB for the saints, but a big part of me is remembering Michael Rix, "VFL ruckman of the year".

Solar
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote:
vacuous space wrote:
There's a difference between being a "VFL listed footballer" and a "VFL grade footballer", I'd like to think Silvagni could step up and play FB for the saints, but a big part of me is remembering Michael Rix, "VFL ruckman of the year".
thing is that silvagni actually has decient skills while rix never did. Rix was great at VFL level because he was big, strong and able to ruck well at that level. His skills and lack of marking ability were found out at the higher level.

FQF
In richo I trust

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

A good VFL player who lacks height to be a KPP in AFL and lacks pace to be a flanker. Dont need 22 year olds on our list that have been passed over for 5 years.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:A good VFL player who lacks height to be a KPP in AFL and lacks pace to be a flanker. Dont need 22 year olds on our list that have been passed over for 5 years.
just for the record he is about the right height for a AFL level KPP - 192 cm. Whether he would make the grade and play tall is questionable.

FQF
In richo I trust

rexy
SS Life Member

I think Wall is part of the state squad for the VFL.

Maybe this year?
casey scorp
Club Player

Re: Alex Silvagni

LTN16 wrote:Image
Alex Silvagni
Solar wrote:Wall is a taller player who can hold a player but could not put on weight if he wanted to. Silvagni on the other hand is more a third tall who can read the play very well, takes good marks and uses the ball very well. Would be playing for victoria if he was playing VFL football with the likes of willy, sandy or port melbourne. Is also only 21?
plugger66 wrote:A good VFL player who lacks height to be a KPP in AFL and lacks pace to be a flanker. Dont need 22 year olds on our list that have been passed over for 5 years.
He seems to be getting older quickly.

He is 20!! Do the maths!!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Alex Silvagni

casey scorp wrote:
LTN16 wrote:Image
Alex Silvagni
Solar wrote:Wall is a taller player who can hold a player but could not put on weight if he wanted to. Silvagni on the other hand is more a third tall who can read the play very well, takes good marks and uses the ball very well. Would be playing for victoria if he was playing VFL football with the likes of willy, sandy or port melbourne. Is also only 21?
He seems to be getting older quickly.

He is 20!! Do the maths!!
Your right. Should have said 21. Still not good enough though IMO.

mightysainters
SS Hall of Fame

silvagni is a gun and a key position player only bad thing about him is his kicking is very ordinary but no FF's have really beaten him this year... good player and we should pick him up is only 20 and would be good for depth... he would be in the team right now...

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

mightysainters wrote:silvagni is a gun and a key position player only bad thing about him is his kicking is very ordinary but no FF's have really beaten him this year... good player and we should pick him up is only 20 and would be good for depth... he would be in the team right now...
If he cant kick he is not wanted. That is half our problem we have to many players who turn it over.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
mightysainters wrote:silvagni is a gun and a key position player only bad thing about him is his kicking is very ordinary but no FF's have really beaten him this year... good player and we should pick him up is only 20 and would be good for depth... he would be in the team right now...
If he cant kick he is not wanted. That is half our problem we have to many players who turn it over.
max aint a great kick or decision maker. A replacement for max would not have to rebound, thats chips, BJ and grams role

FQF
In richo I trust

mightysainters
SS Hall of Fame

FB's do not need a booming kick or kick like BJ jsut need to stop their man.... it should be the others who should be feeding off them... He is better than our other options for KPP Backs who r who right now??? It's Hudghton, Maguire.... and to an extent Fisher but i believe fisher is wasted in this role... people suggest Rix as depth and that is sad.... SOS would be a far superior option

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
max aint a great kick or decision maker. A replacement for max would not have to rebound, thats chips, BJ and grams role
And that is a problem. All clubs leave Max on his own to get the ball in the backline and man up on everyone else. He isnt going to have Max's other skills to make up for poor delivery. He hasnt even made the state squad so he cant be rated that highly.

rexy
SS Life Member

We have had no KP depth in the backline since Penny retired, have many back up flankers but have continued to ignore the need to replace Max or back up Goose. Dont know why?

Maybe this year?
mightysainters
SS Hall of Fame

yeh he definately should of made the state squad tho... just because he didnt doesnt mean he didn't deserve it....

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

mightysainters wrote:yeh he definately should of made the state squad tho... just because he didnt doesnt mean he didn't deserve it....
I think it does. He wasnt rated in the best 3-4 backline KPP in the VFL and they see all clubs not like us who are not comparing him to anyone.

mightysainters
SS Hall of Fame

you are not basing your assumptions on fact...by the way you are stating things you havent watched him play just looking at the state squad which he didn't make...

He is a very solid player will only improve his skills and ability...

iceman
Club Player

Silvagni is a gun footballer and should definately be looked at, Max will probably retire at seasons end and here is one bloke who can step up.

Saying he can't kick is ridiulous because he hits his targets when he has to. Has the speed to play short and the strangth to play tall. Very quick off the mark, but just as impressive closing speed.

I remember reading about him the year Casey signed him, went through the School system as an u/18 which ultimately may have cost him, jury is still out and i know others have been drafted through the school system, but thats just my opinion.