Smart positions

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

groupie1
Club Player

Smart positions

Here's a question:
If Roo is being double-teamed, why not make HIM the forward line decoy... take 2 defenders away into the pocket?

If a creative playmaker (Cornes) is given a tagging role on Dal Santo, why not tag him with Baker? This won't work if Dal's tagger is a genuine 'tagger', but tagging Dal's tagger does release who would otherwise be Baker's opponent, but if Dal is a better disposer of the ball, it also releases Dal, so puts us in front.

If Rix - with that enormous body of his - can't make a physical contest, why not play McEvoy?

If X's defensive game isn't as good as his attacking side, why not allow him to play more attacking football?

If Raph is not a defender, why play him in defense?

If Goddard can pinpoint a target from 50meters, why not clear it from half back to half forward through Goddard?

Why play on around half-back, risking losing possession, than kick long toward a contest at half-forward, not through the corridor, where the risks of losing possession are a throw-in from the boundary or losing possession NOT in our defensive area? ie why not have Gram/Goose kick long from defense if there's no player free to kick it short to, rather than handball backward to a player under pressure?

I think our forward pressure is not the problem. the problem is a lack of forward movement. don't you simply need 3-4 targets leading in different directions when we approach the forward line? Shouldn't they all lead out of the goal square, or have one leading to the goalsquare from CHF?

Isn't footy just a lot more of a simple game than we make out?

Why kick to Roo when he's double teamed? If there's nobody else to kick to, why not?

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
spert
Saintsational Legend

I think you're saying "why not take a few risks with players Ross Lyon?" As with GT, there seems to be absolutely no lateral thinking in the coaching box which disappoints me. I know Sheedy used to swing players into different positions all over the ground when the team was flat, and many times this helped get the team a win. One problem is that we have too many players who are one-dimensional..i,e attack well, can't defend, or can tag and defend but cant attack with any confidence -a bit of a legacy of GT's time at the helm.

BonoRocks
Club Player

If Dal Santo is getting Tagged. Put Dal Santo as a tagger on their number midfielder, Dal can sacrifice his game, but it frees up one of ours. If Dals tagger goes to the spare man, it frees up Dal.

yipper
SS Life Member

I certainly hope they don't get caught playing BJ to deep in defence again. Against Essendon he launched attacks from HB - against Port he was in the last line nearly all night trying to set-up from there!!

Dal should go forward when he is being heavily tagged - the absence of Schneider hasn't helped as he is the logical replacement to go into midfield. With his return this week - Dal will go into the forward line where his ability overhead will hurt his tagger - and in more dangerous spots!!

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

yipper wrote:I certainly hope they don't get caught playing BJ to deep in defence again. Against Essendon he launched attacks from HB - against Port he was in the last line nearly all night trying to set-up from there!!

Dal should go forward when he is being heavily tagged - the absence of Schneider hasn't helped as he is the logical replacement to go into midfield. With his return this week - Dal will go into the forward line where his ability overhead will hurt his tagger - and in more dangerous spots!!
Spot on re: BJ. Why the hell is the best kick in the side chipping the ball 20m to the pocket when he's kicking out from fullback...and then just strolling around deep in defence ?? The guy can hit a 20c piece 60m away so why not use that? Its not like we are bleesed with 18 BJ's footskills-wise.

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Rocket
Club Player

Part of the problem with LYON is he tends to one dimensional. I agree with posts within. Look at Knights 2 weeks ago, down by 40+ at half time swings Ryder to CHF, changes the structure and they 6 goals straight.

Our bloke sits back and plays the same old same old. Well guess what Ross it is not working. You are under extreme pressure to deliver.

How about:
Roo to CHB or onto the ball when double teamed?
Goddard onto the ball option or to full forward?
Maguire when struggling throw him into the ruck to bash into a few or to CHF providing an option?
Luke Ball to tag the likes of CCornes when destroying our playmaker. Ling has turned himself into an All Australian by doing this?

Way too predictable for mine.

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

why would we put roo to chb when he is being double teamed??? wouldnt that give the opposition an extra forward???

ive always been interested to see what would happen if dal played in the forward 50...deep into it and just used his creative touch to assist and bob up for a few

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Saints Premiers 2008 wrote:why would we put roo to chb when he is being double teamed??? wouldnt that give the opposition an extra forward???

ive always been interested to see what would happen if dal played in the forward 50...deep into it and just used his creative touch to assist and bob up for a few
He kicked 4 in the opening qtr against Melbourne a couple of years ago when played as a forward pocket.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

Mr Magic wrote:
Saints Premiers 2008 wrote:why would we put roo to chb when he is being double teamed??? wouldnt that give the opposition an extra forward???

He kicked 4 in the opening qtr against Melbourne a couple of years ago when played as a forward pocket.
I think he kicked 6 for the game that day... What a side and force we were then... That was during Kosi's purple patch too, if i remember correctly..

That specific game is what should be sent to Ross to show him how we should be playing... During our successful period of 04-06, that melbourne game in 05 was our most dominant...

And that was wothout Roo, who was injured (shoulder??)... Such a shame it didnt last..

Overall, agree with everything posted so far.. keep it simple, ross..

matrix
Saintsational Legend

BonoRocks wrote:If Dal Santo is getting Tagged. Put Dal Santo as a tagger on their number midfielder, Dal can sacrifice his game, but it frees up one of ours. If Dals tagger goes to the spare man, it frees up Dal.
he doesnt have the leg speed to be a tagger IMO....no way do i reckon he could keep side by side with another dangerous player from an opposition team.

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

whenever we have played one of our quality mids deep forward they have done well...i dont understand why it cant be done more often...dal plays well there...ball...goddard...

im still an advocate of goddard at chf once fit...they guy would be unstoppable

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
Buckets
SS Life Member

Re: Smart positions

groupie1 wrote:Here's a question:
If Roo is being double-teamed, why not make HIM the forward line decoy... take 2 defenders away into the pocket?

If a creative playmaker (Cornes) is given a tagging role on Dal Santo, why not tag him with Baker? This won't work if Dal's tagger is a genuine 'tagger', but tagging Dal's tagger does release who would otherwise be Baker's opponent, but if Dal is a better disposer of the ball, it also releases Dal, so puts us in front.

If Rix - with that enormous body of his - can't make a physical contest, why not play McEvoy?

If X's defensive game isn't as good as his attacking side, why not allow him to play more attacking football?

If Raph is not a defender, why play him in defense?

If Goddard can pinpoint a target from 50meters, why not clear it from half back to half forward through Goddard?

Why play on around half-back, risking losing possession, than kick long toward a contest at half-forward, not through the corridor, where the risks of losing possession are a throw-in from the boundary or losing possession NOT in our defensive area? ie why not have Gram/Goose kick long from defense if there's no player free to kick it short to, rather than handball backward to a player under pressure?

I think our forward pressure is not the problem. the problem is a lack of forward movement. don't you simply need 3-4 targets leading in different directions when we approach the forward line? Shouldn't they all lead out of the goal square, or have one leading to the goalsquare from CHF?

Isn't footy just a lot more of a simple game than we make out?

Why kick to Roo when he's double teamed? If there's nobody else to kick to, why not?
Straight forward, logical...brilliant!!!!! Why is it that we see these problems yet it takes forever for the things to be implemented!

Thats Mr. Smartarse to you
BonoRocks
Club Player

matrixcutter wrote:
BonoRocks wrote:If Dal Santo is getting Tagged. Put Dal Santo as a tagger on their number midfielder, Dal can sacrifice his game, but it frees up one of ours. If Dals tagger goes to the spare man, it frees up Dal.
he doesnt have the leg speed to be a tagger IMO....no way do i reckon he could keep side by side with another dangerous player from an opposition team.
My point being, if Dal isnt going to get a kick being tagged, use him to try stop someone else. Not everyone is lightning quick and Dal isnt slow.

bergsone
SS Life Member

Goddard across midfield or forward ,his delivery to our rorwards ,and he can add score board pressure.great kick.agree ?

groupie1
Club Player

BonoRocks wrote:
matrixcutter wrote:
My point being, if Dal isnt going to get a kick being tagged, use him to try stop someone else. Not everyone is lightning quick and Dal isnt slow.
that's absolutely right, BonoRocks. Your point is if Dal don't get a kick in situation A, try situation B.
This is all my point is with this post. When A doesn't work, try B.

It's frustrating seeing awful kicks forward to double-teamed Roo. we should be making the double-teaming strategy work FOR us not AGAINST us

I'm glad everyone who responded in this thread didn't have a go at any particular suggestion, and understood the point is TRY SOMETHING DIFFERENT and that would favor us.

I also agree in general that Goddard is wasted deep in defense - but again, it may be his oponent dragging him back - so CHANGE IT UP, RL!

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Dal doesn't have the ticker to tag anyone.
It's beneath him.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
S.A Saint
Club Player

These are all good points, however our team is struggling to generate any run from the half back line. All we do it bomb the ball long without even looking. We need genuine half back flanker that break lines.

groupie1
Club Player

yes, bombing long is rarely a good option. But if there are no good options, and heavy traffic at HB, why not bomb long to touch?

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Deliberato OOB?

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
battye
Saintsational Legend

I like this idea. If he's going to get beaten anyway, why not at least negate someone else's impact on the game - and if as you say the tagger moves away, then Dal Santo is free.

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

battye wrote:
I like this idea. If he's going to get beaten anyway, why not at least negate someone else's impact on the game - and if as you say the tagger moves away, then Dal Santo is free.
This is WHY opposition teams tag Dal Santo and not Lenny or Joey.

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Smart positions

groupie1 wrote:Here's a question:
have been saying for months now that we are dumb & predictable when we go forward. Fine to kick it to Roo when he is on a lead or even 1 on 1 - but the team rule should be dont kick to Roo when its 2 on 1

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:

I think he kicked 6 for the game that day... What a side and force we were then... That was during Kosi's purple patch too, if i remember correctly..

That specific game is what should be sent to Ross to show him how we should be playing... During our successful period of 04-06, that melbourne game in 05 was our most dominant...

And that was wothout Roo, who was injured (shoulder??)... Such a shame it didnt last..

Don't we miss the huge scoring games we were producing only a few years back.

http://finalsiren.com/MatchDetails.asp? ... 6305c6dda5

St Kilda 176 - Melbourne 88

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

Sobraz wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:

Kicked 9 actually.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

iwantmeseats wrote:
Sobraz wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:

Kicked 9 actually.
Dal not Rooy.