How is Nathen Brown (pies) getting such hype?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Jaz
Club Player

How is Nathen Brown (pies) getting such hype?

Really Pavlich had 21 possessions and a goal last week. Thats a decent return. Im sure the pies would be very happy if Rocca could get that return every week, almost every team would except that from a chf. Obvoisly its because he plays for collingwood that he gets noticed but it wasn't a great performance and I cant believe how much he has been built up.

esaint66
SS Life Member

Re: How is Nathen Brown (pies) getting such hype?

Jaz wrote:Really Pavlich had 21 possessions and a goal last week. Thats a decent return. Im sure the pies would be very happy if Rocca could get that return every week, almost every team would except that from a chf. Obvoisly its because he plays for collingwood that he gets noticed but it wasn't a great performance and I cant believe how much he has been built up.

IMO it is because of the way he uses his body in a 1 on 1 contest and he turns his oponnent as to mark or spoil it.

Another reason being it is only early in his career and the media brought him to attention after his decent first game labelling tonights matcha s the Brown v Brown match.

He isnt very quick running with his player though often leaves it to other players to cover for him.

SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

he was fantastic tonight on brown

beat him almost every time one on one - got left behind once or twice on the lead
lots of double/triple teaming in some contests from the collingwood players make his job easier however he is still very very good for a 19 yo

johnpeterbudgefanclub
Club Player

Learn the game Jaz.....what comps have u played in???

esaint66
SS Life Member

Anyone to be toated as a ' star of the future ' by the victorian captain is probably worth a look at.

Wheter he said it out of being proud because he was duely beaten tonight or he actually meant it i dont know but i think he will be the NAB rising star this year.

johnpeterbudgefanclub
Club Player

ots of double/triple teaming in some contests from the collingwood players
Who doesnt do that???? :roll: :roll: :roll:

esaint66
SS Life Member

johnpeterbudgefanclub wrote:
ots of double/triple teaming in some contests from the collingwood players
Who doesnt do that???? :roll: :roll: :roll:

I dont think its about who doesnt do it at all.

What saint bot i think is trying to say is that because they boy is only young that he is relieying more on his team mates to help him out and get back and they obviously obliged.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

He was bloody good tonight. He's brilliant in the one-on-one contests and reads the ball well. And he's a massive unit for an 18 year old. Would be our starting CHB without a doubt.

Jaz
Club Player

johnpeterbudgefanclub wrote:Learn the game Jaz.....what comps have u played in???
What does this have to do with me knowing the game? Are you saying that 21 possessions and 1 goal is a poor return for a chf? Yes brown is young, he may even turn out to be the best chb of all time but based on one game where his oppoenent has 21 p's and 1 goal he surely can not deserve the hype that he has received thus far.

For what it's worth I played Ovens and Murray seniors for 3 years until my knee shot itself now I just run around in the southern football league.

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

Jaz wrote:Really Pavlich had 21 possessions and a goal last week. Thats a decent return. Im sure the pies would be very happy if Rocca could get that return every week, almost every team would except that from a chf. Obvoisly its because he plays for collingwood that he gets noticed but it wasn't a great performance and I cant believe how much he has been built up.
okay, I'll be nice...

Did you see the flowing game or are you looking at stats???

If you like stats he had 4 tackles in his first match and was up against one of the best forwards in the comp...

He followed up against another top forward and had another 4 tackles...

In just two matches he has kept 2 of the top forwards in the league quiet...

Jonathan Brown 2 goals and his previous game kicked 6 goals

and kept Pavlich to just 1 goal where he has an average of over 3 goals a match...

Not bad for just 2 games in his career...

It has flowering nothing to do with Collingwood, it just about a KID who has done well in his first 2 matches against 2 match winning players...

FAIR DINKUM get a clue
:roll:

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
Jaz
Club Player

St Fidelius wrote:
okay, I'll be nice...

Did you see the flowing game or are you looking at stats???

If you like stats he had 4 tackles in his first match and was up against one of the best forwards in the comp...

He followed up against another top forward and had another 4 tackles...

In just two matches he has kept 2 of the top forwards in the league quiet...

Jonathan Brown 2 goals and his previous game kicked 6 goals

and kept Pavlich to just 1 goal where he has an average of over 3 goals a match...

Not bad for just 2 games in his career...

It has flowering nothing to do with Collingwood, it just about a KID who has done well in his first 2 matches against 2 match winning players...

FAIR DINKUM get a clue
:roll:
Yeah he has done ok but collingwood have a habit of overvaluing there players, there have been so many over the years that are going to be champions of the future, eg travis cloke, mark mcGough, Cameron Cloke. all touted as Champions after a handful of games. Give 'em at least a year before throwing these burdens on them. That being said Thomas is one that has survived the increased expectations.

johnpeterbudgefanclub
Club Player

Yeah he has done ok but collingwood have a habit of overvaluing there players
U r a toolbag Jaz. Collingwood over-value their players???? How have they done this??? Or do u mean the media?

St.Fidelius is always on the money.....u really have no idea. I heard your nickname in the Ovens and Murray was "the toaster" - because u always popped the bench! :lol:

Jaz
Club Player

johnpeterbudgefanclub wrote:
Yeah he has done ok but collingwood have a habit of overvaluing there players
U r a toolbag Jaz. Collingwood over-value their players???? How have they done this??? Or do u mean the media?
i saw a tread on big footy after a pies game against brisbane in 2003? when mcGough got 2 votes and there wes at least 30 people saying he is the next captain of the pies and a 250+ game player, including the coach. This was only his 6th or 7th game! Its not just the media!

I think this happens the other way too. We are too quick to disregard players that dont perform in their first few games. I have said it before on other treads, but i used to chringe every time gram went near the ball in 2005 but now he is one of my favorite players, so why cant we let them play at least a year before we elevate them to guns to disregard then as dud's

A perfect example is Joel Selwood at the cats IMO he's is an absolute gun but they keeped him very much under wraps last year and he excelled. For a first year player to play nearly every game including a grand final is exceptional and you would be a fool if you believed he wouldn't have recieved more media attention if he played for collingwood.

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

Give it up Jaz...

IMO a stupid thread about a kid who has done very well in his first two matches...

If he was a saints player everyone on here would go berserk and rightfully so IMO...

Again ..........

NOT COLLINGWOOD but it's just about a GOOD TWO GAMES he has played in the AFL

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

Every time I turned to look at the Idiot Box tonight, J. Brown was up the ground seeking the pill, and winning it. His midfield couldn't find the ball so he went and got it. The young chaser didn't seem to me to interfere with his progress too often. My guess is the Warny boy had it over 20 times, his side won and the recently anointed giant of defenders had an average night.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

lets put it in comparision it the kid wore red with his black and white stripes we would be claiming him to be the next CHB of the century .
the kid go's alright he has his downpoints in pace of the mark but hes an honest toiler and i think we will here big things from him ... i would be wraped if we had him

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
maverick
Saintsational Legend

He might have started his career well and competed well, but Jono Brown was in his team's best 3 or 4 last night, simple as that.

Brown is one of the best in the league, and maybe given that N Brown had a good game, but if your team's expectations were to nullify him out of the best players, he failed.

I thought Pavlich had little impact round 1 however, and much of the stats you quote Jaz were gained through the midfield and not as a CHF.

I'm not looking at stats I'm looking at impact on the game.

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

While I disagree with the OP (I was pretty keen on Brown for our 1st pick in the 06 draft), I do agree with the 'instant champion' status that the media & Collingwood supporters put upon their players.

I remember Jon Ballantyne beating Kernahan in one game, getting hurt the following match & the rest of the season hearing 'oh we're missing Ballantyne, he's the best FB in the league'.

The media pump up their players because it rates better & sells a truckload more newspapers.

Oh & their supporters are nuffies (JPB FC excluded!)

Cirra
Club Player

Actually I agree that Nathan Brown didn't have as good a game last night as the media made out.

Bruce was going on about how J. Brown had only kicked one goal up to 3/4 time, so therefore N. Brown was doing an excellent job.

However, J. Brown missed some easy shots on goal...he could easily had 3 goals to his name, which completely changes the perspective.

Having said all that N. Brown has done a servicable job (He wasn't beaten hands-down) on two of the leagues best forwards. All you can ask/hope for from a kid whose played 2 games.

"When we get back on November 5 and walk through that door, we're getting on a bus together and we're going down the road to a premiership. You're either on the bus or you get run over," Roo at the B&F 2007

In 2012, I'm still on the bus.
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Animal Enclosure wrote:While I disagree with the OP (I was pretty keen on Brown for our 1st pick in the 06 draft), I do agree with the 'instant champion' status that the media & Collingwood supporters put upon their players.
are we any differant ? the way we carry on about gilbo you would think he was a walk upstart in the AA team (not saying hes not a good player but some on here would have you think hes in our top 5 players)

the thing about it is its only the kids second game and hes taken on Pavlova and Brown two of the biggest names in the comp and even though it would be fair to say he was beaten by Brown last night for a second gamer i think he did a sterling job
after all we have had blokes on our list for 3-5 years who have done less then what hes done in two games

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

maverick wrote:He might have started his career well and competed well, but Jono Brown was in his team's best 3 or 4 last night, simple as that.

Brown is one of the best in the league, and maybe given that N Brown had a good game, but if your team's expectations were to nullify him out of the best players, he failed.

I thought Pavlich had little impact round 1 however, and much of the stats you quote Jaz were gained through the midfield and not as a CHF.

Well, if you think that "Jono Brown" was in his team's best 3 or 4, we must have been looking at a different match....

Either that or one of us has not a clue at all IMO

SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

St Fidelius wrote:
maverick wrote:He might have started his career well and competed well, but Jono Brown was in his team's best 3 or 4 last night, simple as that.

Well, if you think that "Jono Brown" was in his team's best 3 or 4, we must have been looking at a different match....

j.brown was very quiet last night

no where near top 3-4

just off the top of my head - power, adcock, lappin, charman and black were brisbane's best

even bradshaw and johnston had better games than brown

Solar
Saintsational Legend

was very good for a second game player, used his body well but he did get helped not only from his fellow defenders but the pies midfield was very very good for most of the game.

I found it funny when they suggested brown was a first year player when in fact he was drafted in '06 and had a whole year at willy last year. Would love to see a similar player come through for us, but I do wonder if he can take it up a notch as a CHB or will just become a stopper in the mould of glass.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
maverick
Saintsational Legend

St Fidelius wrote:

So one of us values a strong contesting forward more than another...that's all...

If you think you don't have a clue so be it....

All i know is, without J Brown in the last quarter when the game needed to be won, Brisbane would be 0-2. See Nick R for round 1 likewise.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

The OtherThommo wrote:Every time I turned to look at the Idiot Box tonight, J. Brown was up the ground seeking the pill, and winning it. His midfield couldn't find the ball so he went and got it. The young chaser didn't seem to me to interfere with his progress too often. My guess is the Warny boy had it over 20 times, his side won and the recently anointed giant of defenders had an average night.
Your guess is way off. 10 touches, 2 goals.