From the Geelong forum, if you feel like a read that is

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

From the Geelong forum, if you feel like a read that is

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

Just shows most geelong fans are insane. The cats were great last year cos they were injury free and played with tremendous confidence, but that was last year. there are probably 7 or 8 teams this year saints included , if everything goes well can do the same thing they did .

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

it must burn in the guts of our players that geelong has a flag and they don't ... yet
Last edited by bigcarl on Wed 19 Mar 2008 1:21am, edited 1 time in total.

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

What do u expect. they have bragging rights. As they say beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Another opportunity awaits!
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

little pearls like these should be required reading for our players, especially charlie gardiner and king. there is some good ammunition in here.

St Kilda seems to lack a potent attack to worry Geelong this year
Pfft ... St Kilda a threat. They're still the most overrated side in the AFL.
I don't like the Ross Lyon/Paul Roos style of Football and personally with their talent I don't think they need to play the defensive game because I honestly doubt it will get them a flag
Saints are overrated. I fail to see what all the fuss is about them. Collingwood, North, WCE and Hawks are much bigger concerns
They win the mickey mouse cup and they are all of a sudden a threat? Collingwood are our main threat
St Kilda don't worry me a great deal, partly because I believe their coach has NFI. If last year is anything to go by they will never win a flag under Lyon, that style of football they employ will not beat us
Any team with Charlie Gardiner in their best 22 cant be that good

look out cats, we're coming for you

:) you are now the hunted

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

On the basis of last year's on-field performances I think they are onto something in their criticisms of our coaching and playing style. Theirs was undoubtedly way superior in 2007.

I hope that the RL cheer squad on this forum is correct and that we will see something different from our team this year.

How anyone can rate Collingwood as a serious threat in 2008 is a mystery to me.

Anyway, the Geelong fans are right to be slapping themselves on the back. I reckon they will be extremely hard to beat this year and deserve strong favouritism for the flag.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
cowboy18
Saintsational Legend

That seem like a thoughtful and well-considered lot there! Take away the usual posturing from the 10% you expect to be posting on bigfooty and it's a fair summation of our shot at the flag (and Geelong) this year..

I'd be bullish about 2008 if I was a Geelong fan too.

We should be in the mix but there are shortcomings with gameplan (esp 2007 gameplan) and list that we shouldn't overlook.

riccardo
Saintsational Legend

If last year is anything to go by they will never win a flag under Lyon, that style of football they employ will not beat us
I find this quote particularly ironic. Geelongs 2006 was disgraceful, they were injury hit and bereft of confidence, and they limped to 9th position, just as we did last year.

What is it that comes before a fall? Is that pride?
Last edited by riccardo on Wed 19 Mar 2008 10:44am, edited 1 time in total.

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:On the basis of last year's on-field performances I think they are onto something in their criticisms of our coaching and playing style. Theirs was undoubtedly way superior in 2007.

I hope that the RL cheer squad on this forum is correct and that we will see something different from our team this year.
There were a whole host of reasons, outside of Ross Lyon's or ANYONE'S immediate control that directly contributed to our slide from 8th to 9th!

Poor fitness base, woeful player conditioning, the effect of poor recruiting for the most part for five years, together with all the off field turmoil.

The game plan is fine, it will deliver exciting attacking football and results, it as a pre-requisite needed things that last year simply were not there.

You can't make a milkshake if all you have is a bunch of carrots.

The situation is vastly different now, the right processes are in place!

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

They are still the raging hot favourites to go back to back, and rightly so. The quality of their footy last year was extremely high, much more so (IMO) than the previous few premiers. That quality is now the standard. We need to raise our game to that level to be a realistic chance at a flag.

They've done it already; we still need to. If I were a Pussy supporter I'd be pretty dismissive of the opposition, at least until another side demonstrated the same gameday quality on a consistent basis.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

They won, we didn't. They can brag, we can't.

We need to win, end of story.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

riccardo
Saintsational Legend

There is the saying about being gracious in victory though.

I know a Swans supporter at work quite well, and she has never been rude or arrogant about thier win in '05, even though they beat us to get there.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:They won, we didn't. They can brag, we can't.

We need to win, end of story.
concur

rubber cup is nice, 400k in the coffers and thats done.

was talking to a carlton mate some of you have met, big phil, and he concurred at the time cartlon won their rubber cup.

nice money, nice momentum, wouldn't even consider it should be in the same room as their premierships.

Glad we won the rubber cup, winners are grinners, but the real season starts now, and the rubber cup is history.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
StSteven
Club Player

I am afraid most of them are correct. We have done nothing and despite us being neck and neck a year or two ago, they have performed better, recruited better, developed their list better and achieved more!

They have not lost ONE player that they did not want to lose except Nathan Ablett and his replacement, Hawkins is likey to be awesome.

Ubless we perform better in 2008, I would keep away from reading their boards, it will hurt too much.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

anyone read the age footy lift out on sunday... really interesting to see how many cats and hawks players played 22-25 games last year.

Everyone goes on about geelongs depth and yet I struggle to think of many players they had to play because of injury or suspension.

Yep they have every right to be bullish but the season is a long time

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
Batnoe

The fact that they are talking about us means they are scared of us

i dont see them writing

do you see Richmond as a threat!!!

Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

I say great, let the cats have their cream, it will sour in their belly eventually. There is an old saying that goes a bit like this "underestimate us at your own doom"

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

I reckon that if we had won the 07 flag some of the muck thrown at Geelong on here would make those few comments seem very small cheese indeed 8-)

Winners are grinners...they won a flag and we didn't.....time to suck it up and get on with grabbing some bragging rights of our own!!!!!

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:I reckon that if we had won the 07 flag some of the muck thrown at Geelong on here would make those few comments seem very small cheese indeed 8-)

Winners are grinners...they won a flag and we didn't.....time to suck it up and get on with grabbing some bragging rights of our own!!!!!
exactly im a tad worried about the way we will behave if/when we win the flag . i mean theres been a long time betwwen drinks for us i just hope we dont act like the damn eagles fans with the overt cockyness if we do win

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
matrix
Saintsational Legend

i'll laugh if the Morons (Port Power) beat em tonight
imagine that :lol:
aint gonna happen thou is it :(

hAyES
Club Player

They can talk all they want because they are the ones with the flag. They were unbelievable last year and it had almost nothing to do with luck. Their players, gameplan and everything else was spot on as soon as their winning streak started. It hurt me to see them doing so well because not long ago we had a better side (on paper that is) and couldn't even make the Grand Final, let alone win by 20 goals in it. With the players that we have, if I see a defensive style gameplan this year I'm almost going to lose hope.