kicking skills...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

stinger
Saintsational Legend

kicking skills...

i hate to be a bit of a wet blanket on such a successful night......even tarnished pre-season cups don't come our way all that often.......but seriously guys...if we want to win the big one in september......roo, kossi and charlie gardiner will have to do some serious goal kicking practice.........

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
spyglass
Club Player

I thought Roo kicked well at goal......how many getable shots did he miss?

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Good point Stinger

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
Megamaguire
Club Player

Roo nursing kicking leg ?

I read the other day (The Age ) ? that Rooey had tendonitis on his kicking knee which means that kicking with 100% effort orevents it from healing. Kosi did kick a few wayward kicks but provided a few marking gems to make up for it. Late in the game he kicked truely to put the team back in the saddle. Kosi was great again and when Rossi sent him away from the well playing Rutten to leave the space more open for Roo and the rest i thought great to see Rossi assuming the coaching supremacy in that instance.

Sneider was very bubbly and at times very creative running from midfield which he is hoping to play more of.

Great team play again and great presence of mind in the all important 'Red time' (the last few minutes before game's end) as G.T. liked to call it. Xavier; Grammy and Sam Fish were excellent. Montagna showed some vital defensive nouse when needed. A lot to like and what a great platform for the Saints.

G O S A I N T E R S !

The boy can play and we can build a defence around him that will have respect.
Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Kosi's goalkicking is a cause for concern.

It has been poor during this pre-season.

He needs to work on it and start converting much better than he did last night, because he missed 2 easy shots that could have cost us the game.

Finishing is just as important as getting the process right ...

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
8bloggs
Club Player

Charlie's kicking

Mate of mine is a keen Cats fan said his set shot kicking was not real good, so have been watching him with interest on this. Fluffed one last night so hopefully he can improve...

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Roo's goal kicking is fine, one bad season a couple of years ago has seemed to tarnish him for life....

Kosi is a big worry tho, last season he was shanking a few, and this season seems like he's gone backwards again

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Roo I believe is over his yips.

Kosi from the Intraclub on has been quite variable. His 3 shots in the GF should all have been goals.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
hAyES
Club Player

Roo is a lot better than he was this time last year.

Kosi on the other hand.. Usually a kick from 15m out is a certainty, but Kosi almost put it out on the full! Could cost us games this year.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

hAyES wrote:Roo is a lot better than he was this time last year.

Kosi on the other hand.. Usually a kick from 15m out is a certainty, but Kosi almost put it out on the full! Could cost us games this year.

roo has been accurate..when he has a shot...but in each of the games he has passed off....for no result ...when he hasn't been all that far from goal......yeah..i know he has a sore knee.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

kosi just needs some time to settle into his new foward role and have 50 set shots each training night.

he did kick five against geelong, iirc the biggest bag by a saint during the pre-season, so he is not far off.

i reckon it will cost us more games if he is NOT in the forward line.

then it would be back to the tried-and-failed kick-it-to-riewoldt-and-fraser set up that hasn't been good enough in the past.

kosi's ability to take contested marks is just too important to our forward set up and he gives us the option of kicking long to a contest rather than always trying to find riewoldt or fraser laces up.

even if he doesn't take the mark from such a long bomb, it gives some nice crumbs for opportunists like milne and schneider

riccardo
Saintsational Legend

Kosis goal kicking wasn't great on the night, maybe they should try pushing him out to CHF and having him handball to a runner?

yipper
SS Life Member

Kosi kicked 5 straight against the cats, and he nailed a big goal in the last Q when we needed a goal. He is going ok in the lead-up to Rd. 1. Roo is kicking them well this year - maybe he should leave the knee bandage on all year!!

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
QuestionOfAccuracy
Club Player

Kosi's goal kicking has been very dissapointing in the preseason matches. Rooey's has been very accurate though and has been getting shots in more gettable positions instead of getting shots from acute angles as he did last year. Charlie also needs to work on his goal-kicking if he is to cement a spot in the first 22.
Its been good that other players have been chipping in with goals though - i.e gram, schneider, etc. Its important that we have many goal kickers instead of relying on Roo/Kosi/G.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

QuestionOfAccuracy wrote:Its important that we have many goal kickers instead of relying on Roo/Kosi/G.
absolutely. milne, schneider, ball, dal santo, gram.

all have shown they can kick them so it is not as if we don't have the talent available.

busso mick
Club Player

It appears that Charlie Gardiners kicking problems are to do with his drop of the ball onto the boot as they always start off target, instead of veering in transit. Not unlike Buckets in the early days, which he managed to overcome through lots of practice. At the moment he looks a better bet on the run instead of a set shot.