Clint Jones

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bendigo bob
Club Player

Clint Jones

Very impressed with Joesy tonight. Just loved his chase down the outer wing. Very committed to the contest and his skills are constantly improving.

I thought the Bombers were meant to be a quick side, we seemed to be able to match their pace regularly which resulted in many hokding the ball decisions.

BJ has arrived!!!!!!!!!!

BJ's #1 Fan

Winner of the half time Social Club auction for Kosi's jumper Round 19 2005
Can we build it? Yes we can!!
True Blue Sainter
Club Player

He is very much a "project" player for RL. Has no problem in applying pressure to the opposition, but when he gets the ball, he too often doesn't know what to do with it.

I don't think it is only his disposal that can let him down, but his decision-making is far too often incorrect. He needs to learn that if he wants to move the ball on quickly, he needs to spot up an opponent in space before he runs sideways for 10 seconds, allowing opposition to flood back. Still, if he can improve his decision-making and disposal, then he could be a very handy player. Question marks linger, but over the first 3 weeks of the NAB cup, seems to be an improved player. Further improvement is required, and I'm sure CJ and the coaching staff are working hard to rectify his weaknesses.

The Saints are coming!
Sam23
SS Life Member

Just about in our best 22 imo.

Still makes mistakes, but his pressure with tackling and running is second to none.

I like him.

Goddard.
super dooper
Club Player

His endevour to work hard and chase down everything is fantastic to see, and efforts like some of his chases can lift a team. As a supporter ive got a lot of patience for him to develop into a better footballer.

A concern for me, in a final when u got 4 players on the bench, does he get a game?? the intensity of a final can make players like him very nervous and incorrectly use the ball decision wise, time will tell i guess.

He needs game time through the year in real games, when the intensity goes up a notch or 2 to see if he can cut it, but he defiently deserves 2-3 more seasons to develop, after that period i think we can fully judge what kind of a footballer CJ is going to be.

Great game CJ

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

CJ's great value in the NAB games to date is that he creates turnover opportunities....through his play we have been winning possession of the ball back.

That is a value thing.

While his kicking skills are not good...I think many are too harsh in their criticism of CJ.

He may not be best 22 yet...but he is putting hard for it.

One thing you can say about CJ's play is that he adds exitement and grunt to the game.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

One of the issues could be addressed if, when CJ wins a free..that someone is immediately there for a dish-off..ALWAYS!

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

A great "project" player, because he has some sensational attributes which really add to the side.

We hardly have another player with the same chasing and tackling speed. CJ is very valuable.

Kicking isn't great, but this can be carried by the side because of what else he adds IMO.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
fonz_#15
SS Life Member

the most one sided afl listed pplayer i have ever seen. no way i can possibly question his endeavour, he works very hard, but he has a lot of work to do before he can seriously be considered to play week in week out for us.

his kicking is terrible, and he panics a lot with the ball in his hands, it will come with practice and confidence, but he is nowhere near afl standard at the moment imo.

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

fonz_#15 wrote:but he is nowhere near afl standard at the moment imo.
How is that so when he was one of the best players on the ground in an AFL game?

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
fonz_#15
SS Life Member

Oh When the Saints wrote:
How is that so when he was one of the best players on the ground in an AFL game?
which afl game would that be?

because if you are referring to last nights game, think again. would he do any good against a full strength afl team. i remember this time last year everybody was talking him up to be something special, and by round 22 there was a huge chorus of people squeeling for his departure.

fact is, in a premiership h&a game against a full strength side he would look like an amatuer. he is so ppedictable and one sided, and his decision making stinks. he instantly looks backwards for a handball when on his unfavoured right side and on his left, it is almost certain he will turn the ball over because he can't kick.

if this is a side with top 4 ambitions and this bloke is in our best 22, we are in enormous trouble.

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Essendon and St Kilda were 90% full strength AFL teams.

Nathan Buckley said that the game last night was like a H&A game in terms of its pressure and the way it was played.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

fonz_#15 wrote:
Oh When the Saints wrote:
which afl game would that be?

because if you are referring to last nights game, think again. would he do any good against a full strength afl team. i remember this time last year everybody was talking him up to be something special, and by round 22 there was a huge chorus of people squeeling for his departure.

fact is, in a premiership h&a game against a full strength side he would look like an amatuer. he is so ppedictable and one sided, and his decision making stinks. he instantly looks backwards for a handball when on his unfavoured right side and on his left, it is almost certain he will turn the ball over because he can't kick.

if this is a side with top 4 ambitions and this bloke is in our best 22, we are in enormous trouble.
Correct.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

fonz_#15 wrote:if this is a side with top 4 ambitions and this bloke is in our best 22, we are in enormous trouble.
Brett Kirk and Chad Fletcher are both awful kicks and have gone onto have pretty solid AFL careers. Neither one of them has the running ability that Jones does either.

Considering his limitations, I thought Jones has used the ball pretty well so far this preseason. His ability to find the footy, chase and tackle will hold him in good stead when it comes time to select our 22 for round 1 and beyond. If he's outside the 22 right now, he isn't far off it.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Last year many bemoaned the lack of several things (amongst others..)

Pace
Tackling...and ones that stick
Putting pressure on the opposition
Endeavour and 4 quarter efforts..

One thing about the Jones boy is that in all these areas he has shone.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Sat 01 Mar 2008 4:30pm, edited 1 time in total.

Iratedebate
Club Player

No doubt Jones is pushing hard for our 22 for Round 1, his pace and defensive pressure have definitely added to the side, but what does amaze me is how any player can get to AFL level and not be able to kick both sides of body, let alone someone who is ordinary at best, even on his dominant side as Jones is. His disposal definitely has improved, but lets be honest it could hardly have gone backwards.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

very impressed with him tonight, wouldn't be disappointed if he was selected round 1

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Played with a much better degree of intensity last night, which was pleasing.

If he could figure out what to do with it when he gets it, he'd be a candidate for our best 25 or so.

But his disposal is just horrible, I wonder if it's a bridge too far. At this stage, you probably wouldn't want him in your midfield rotation for a finals match.

With Armitage, Eddy and Geary coming into calculations, he faces as a make-or-break six months ahead. Let's hope he makes it.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

In a pretty one-paced team, Jones is a valuable asset even though his kicking is third rate. Make no mistake, he is super-quick.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Lookes like the Jones boy is causing ever more contrasting opinions that Fiora and Blake. :wink:

One of the great joys of this forum is to read varying opinions.....

Pwoit
Saintsational Legend

My 2c worth

Jones was great last night, chase, tackle, run and harrass. I dont think his skills are that bad, it's when he has pressure put on him he tends to rush his disposals.
When he was clear in space he hits his targets - just needs more game time and go with his first option.
He was responsible for 2- 3 goals last night even if he didnt touch the ball.

Ill take him round one - no problems.

If a full back can stop a fullforward from kicking goals and gets no touches himself, has punched and put pressure on has he done his job?

Same as what Clinton Jones has done last night did all the 1%ers last night that resulted in turnovers or rewarded with free kicks.

As old sayings go - if they got the ball get it back, no good being where the ball aint .

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Pwoit wrote:My 2c worth

Jones was great last night, chase, tackle, run and harrass. I dont think his skills are that bad, it's when he has pressure put on him he tends to rush his disposals.
When he was clear in space he hits his targets - just needs more game time and go with his first option.
He was responsible for 2- 3 goals last night even if he didnt touch the ball.

Ill take him round one - no problems.

If a full back can stop a fullforward from kicking goals and gets no touches himself, has punched and put pressure on has he done his job?

Same as what Clinton Jones has done last night did all the 1%ers last night that resulted in turnovers or rewarded with free kicks.

As old sayings go - if they got the ball get it back, no good being where the ball aint .
Good post - nice to see an objective post on Jones instead of most of the agenda driven drivvel being posted by some who have bagged him in the past and have now had their tiny ego's bruised. :wink: :D

Keep at it Clinton Jones. No doubt - like every single AFL player - you will put in a shocker in a future game - and the usual suspects will come on telling us all how right they were and he is a hack. :roll:

Oh well I suppose the pressure is off Blake as the whipping boy for the armchair internet hero's who never have or ever will play at the level, either intensity or skill, of Clinton Jones, or Jason Blake, or Aaron Fiora.

Some people must lead sad dark lives or have their own feelings of self worth wrapt up in their football team. :roll: Heres a hint guys, you support St.Kilda, leave your precious, fragile egos at the door, and bloody well SUPPORT OUR PLAYERS not continue to bag them because you have critisised them in the past and have been shown to be totally wrong.
Try a bit of humility, see if you actualy have a chracter.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
linz
Club Player

Good game last night by Jones. Still makes some decision making errors but makes up for it with his enthusiasm for the ball. Has improved a lot from last year. If this improvement continues he'll be in our best 22 IMO. Maybe not yet though.

I once spent a year in Adelaide, I think it was on a Sunday.
esaint66
SS Life Member

great game last night.
he had great run, attack and his tackles were rough.

only problem i noted and i know bruce did as well his kickkings not the greatest, but theres always something to work on.

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

It amuses me how everyone is having a go at Jones because of his kicking style, I watched the game twice today and although he is one sided he barely missed a target and he was definetly the best chaser and tackler on the park. On the other hand Jason Gram who has a great kicking style shanked the crap out of almost every kick and almost refuses to lay a tackle (which is not grat for a defender!!).
But then what would this forum be without the whipping boys!!!

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

Interesting that by this thread he just missed out on being included in the Whipping Boys calendar...

http://www.saintsational.com/forum/view ... highlight=