We need a blockbuster !

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

older saint
SS Life Member

We need a blockbuster !

With Sheedy talking a Richmond Kangaroos blockbuster StKilda must move now and arrange a blockbuster with another club for regular event.
Perhaps play Easter or when ever, but they need a game locked in. They missed the boat a couple years ago with Geelong, and now we may be left behind all together. Options:
Cazaly Cup - V Sydney
Stewart Trophy v Richmond
Heaven and Hell V Mebourne

Better not against Ess, Coll etc as we get swallowed up in things and looks like they are doing us the favour.

Look at Dreamtime and how much money richmond ( bottom 3 for SOOO many years) make.
We need to capitalise on our better performed years ( I wont say success) while it is here!

Saints94
SS Life Member

Go to Blockbuster videos then nah JJ We play in for the blue ribbon cup

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

I like the idea of the Cazaly Cup.

St Kilda and Sydney have a great rivalry of recent years, and always get good crowds through the gates.

However, whether such a game could be turned into a "blockbuster" is questionable.

I also favour something against Geelong, and think the previous administration was negligent in not organising something in 2004 or 05.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
Go Sretnias Go
Club Player

An AFL backed and promoted blockbuster with Hawthorn would be the answer.

Once a Sainter always a Sainter.
BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

Re: We need a blockbuster !

older saint wrote:With Sheedy talking a Richmond Kangaroos blockbuster StKilda must move now and arrange a blockbuster with another club for regular event.
Perhaps play Easter or when ever, but they need a game locked in. They missed the boat a couple years ago with Geelong, and now we may be left behind all together. Options:
Cazaly Cup - V Sydney
Stewart Trophy v Richmond
Heaven and Hell V Mebourne

Better not against Ess, Coll etc as we get swallowed up in things and looks like they are doing us the favour.

Look at Dreamtime and how much money richmond ( bottom 3 for SOOO many years) make.
We need to capitalise on our better performed years ( I wont say success) while it is here!
Sheedy can talk about a Richmond-Roos "blockbuster" all he wants.

One of the key reasons the Roos are in the trouble they are is their fans just don't show up.

Dreamtime is the TV's focus game of an entire round, and has taken some time to build up... and I'd bet if you replaced Ess. with the Kangaroos, it still wouldn't work.

We can hate it all we want, if we want to build a blockbuster, we either need buy in from Carlton/Collingwood/Essendon (and they ARE doing us a favour), or (my pref.) take a game we're already likely to sell out, and build it to the point where it's a guarentee regardless of ladder position - i.e. Saints/Bulldogs have been the Dome's posterchildren... do some fireworks, come up with a reason it's imperative that AFL members want to attend and neutral fans should watch on TV, and build the marketing monster.

Richmond Kangaroos... Sheedy's still got it (where's Kosi's brownlow Kev?!)

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

A Blockbuster isn't manufactured.

It happens over time.

Through rivalry.

I don't develop interest in a particular game of footy because the AFL tells me to get excited about it.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Oh When the Saints wrote:I like the idea of the Cazaly Cup.

St Kilda and Sydney have a great rivalry of recent years, and always get good crowds through the gates.

However, whether such a game could be turned into a "blockbuster" is questionable.

I also favour something against Geelong, and think the previous administration was negligent in not organising something in 2004 or 05.

that's the one that appeals to me....maybe update it to the cazaly/lockett cup.......for the kids.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:A Blockbuster isn't manufactured.

It happens over time.

Through rivalry.

I don't develop interest in a particular game of footy because the AFL tells me to get excited about it.
True, but if they said there was going to be a game with a 100 strippers performing at half time it would be sold out in 5 minutes regardless of who played.

Bring back the Blue Birds! (or similar!!!)

riccardo
Saintsational Legend

It happens over time.

Through rivalry.

Agreed.

The only exception is the public holiday matches, but the big clubs steal those regardless of who starts them, ie our Easter game with Richmond, so no point.

No point in trying to force interest with stupid gimmics if its not there already IMHO.

bozza1980
Club Player

It happens over time.

Through rivalry.

Spot on Rodger.

This is why I find it laughable every time a club receiving AFL assistance points to the fact that they have no blockbuster as means of justifying why they should be drip fed by the AFL.

As you said a game doesn't become interesting just because we are told it's interesting.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

How about an annual game at Telstra Dome against the Shockers?

It could be called the CONTROVERSY CUP and could be marketed to the public as:-

Come and see what else could possibly happen?

or

See how the AFL can find a new way to 'screw' the Saints.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:How about an annual game at Telstra Dome against the Shockers?

or

Funnily enough, due to the history between the two clubs - these games are now actually creating alot of interest.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:

or

Funnily enough, due to the history between the two clubs - these games are now actually creating alot of interest.
I agree, and it is basically the public wanting to see what else could possibly happen?

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

I'd love to see the Richmond Easter Monday game brought back

Always a great atmposhpere

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Blockbuster ?

St Kilda v Rich/Carl on Good Friday.

Keep BOTH Ess & Coll out of it. I've said it before and I'll say it again;

IF WE DON'T GRAB THIS OPPORTUNITY SOMEONE ELSE WILL !!

battye
Saintsational Legend

or

The Controversy Cup... what will happen this year? :lol:

GREAT idea mate, I love it. Literally LOL'ing :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
The Peanut
Club Player

rodgerfox wrote:

or

I think that the shockers are the obvious choice for a blockbuster plan - history of AFL mismanagement has provided us with a rival that surpasses the traditional ones for the modern era. The dockers supporters can't even order a beer or a latte without mumbling something about that cheating St Kilda and very few Saints fans have warm feelings when the Dockers name is mentioned.

But coming up with an idea that could develop over the years to make some extra money is hard with the two teams being thousands of miles apart.

Nevertheless, the press still can't help themselves from making references to our issues when both teams are mentioned in one mouthful.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

I would say that Dockers would be the best option however I don't really want any rivalries based on hate because they suck more when you lose then feel good when you win...
I would prefer a rivalry like we hade with Geelong, a mostly friendly competition between evenly matched clubs (back then) to see who is better...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
St.Kenny
Club Player

Not really into them myself. Bit of a distraction if you ask me. We're kinda goin down Eddy's pathway,.....putting hype before substance. Would rather go about things quietly and get the points without fanfare....

Now if its about adding to our kitty then why not try something new, different and original.....ie. a decent Social Club !!!!!

My behaviour is considered acceptable in some far off remote exotic countries...
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Armoooo wrote:I would say that Dockers would be the best option however I don't really want any rivalries based on hate because they suck more when you lose then feel good when you win...
I would prefer a rivalry like we hade with Geelong, a mostly friendly competition between evenly matched clubs (back then) to see who is better...
I am not sure how a game against the dockers could ever be a blockbuster. Our supporters 30000, their supporters 1000 other interested people 50 = 31050. Not really a blockbuster.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Umm re the Shockers vs. Saints at TD.

We got a whopping 24,000 to that game this year at TD.

A bit of AFL promotion and it may have been 25K.

Blockbuster my rectum!

RBnW
Club Player

lets just blockbust the Blues, Pies, Bombers and Dogs we play them all twice this year, lets just belt the crap out of them twice home and away and set up our season with a base of 8 wins.....I think our draw is good this year first 5 at TD with 4 of these home games and the 5th is the Dogs away on a Friday night, hardly an away game for us...bring on the season.
Our blockbuster will be a home prelim....and I don't care against who

Our best is yet
to come......
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Not many Freo suppoters in Melb...or likely to fly in.

Go for the Cats...we have had a bit of rivalry build up in recent years....and both clubs have good support......both clubs have latent support that perhaps could be prised into go to eally build the crowd up..

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Huzzad
Club Player

Definatly up for the Cazaly cup. Huge rivalry with Sydney over the years, the players that have left us for swans (Plugger, Hall) and a few of theirs (and a coach) that have come here plus the finals battles and close contests we have had over the last decade I think it is a great idea. I am from Sydney myself, so maybe that is why I am partial to Saints V Swans blockbuster, but in terms of rivalry over the years, I think Sydney would have to be our biggest.

www.wikisaints.com - Your Online St Kilda Encyclopedia!

www.truesainters.com - A Friendly Forum Alternative

http://truesainters.wordpress.com - Player of the Round articles, match previews and reviews
repta
Club Player

we used to have a blockbuster ...well a potential Blockbuster .... only a couple of years ago we were playing Richmond on Easter Monday ... as the only game ..... the previous adminsitration let it go for free ... Collingwood picked it up without a wimper from either Richmond or the Saints. I dont blaim Collingwood, they see the opportunity and go for it. We are the idiots who sit back crying in the corner