Matt Price.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

yipper
SS Life Member

Matt Price.

Whilst we discuss some of the poorer examples of journos & media around the country. Spare a thought for one of the good ones - Matt Price. He wrote for the Australian, he was a sandgroper who loved the Dockers. He wrote about politics mainly - but was also a good sports journo. An excellent writier with the great aussie larrikin about him. Always loved the underdog!! He was 46yo, married with 3 kids. In October he was diagnosed with tumours on his brain. He died at home yesterday ( I think). Very sad news. Cos there are some good journos out there - and he was one of em'.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
battye
Saintsational Legend

I read this, very sad. RIP Matt Price :(

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Dam, there goes the only good one :cry:

RIP...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
robbie muir
Club Player

At the end of the day all you have is your health and your family.

You just never know when your time is up. Although i don't post very often i get great enjoyment from reading people's opinions about the Saints. Although i may not agree with everything written here at least we all hope for one thing. A St.Kilda premiership.

Hopefully 2008 will be that year.

On the Bench
Club Player
Location: Perth. Where Foxtel has now allowed me to watch my beloved Saints each week.

A mate.

Could never do enough for you.

A top bloke.

Very sad.

Will be missed.

Best wishes to his family always.

RIP Matt

I am still hurting from 71;
my gut churns thinking of 97;
2009 was agony,
2010a was a pleasure to watch only to be devastated by 2010 b.
It hurts barracking for the Saints
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Used to watch him on The Insiders on Sunday mornings and he always had a smile and a 'twinkle' in his eyes. Seemed a very nice, level headed sort of guy, who had the ability to laugh at himself.

Condolences to his family and friends

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

the only person in the world to have enuff intrest in the dockers to write a book about them (secretly not a bad book for a book about the spew)

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
fonz_#15
SS Life Member

tragic!! only 6 or so weeks from diagnosis to death, what an absolute tragedy.

condolences to his family and friends.

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
busso mick
Club Player

Matt was 2 years behind me at school, in the same year as Sean Murphy, another talented journo. A classic bloke, an allround sportsman (very good footballer and cricketer), who saw the funny side of a lot of things. I last bumped into him at a Missy Higgins concert early this year in Perth. Hadn't changed a bit, still as large as life. Deepest condolences to his wife and family. The journalism fraternity will be very much the weaker without him. RIP Matt. :(

St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

It's always sad to lose a person too early. Very sad for his family and friends, and also for his readers and viewers.

I always enjoyed his articles; RIP Matt.

loriswa
Club Player

I really missed Matt's quirky, irreverent coverage of this years election campaign. It was dull & tedious without Matt highlighting in his cheeky manner the absurd & the ridiculous pomposity of some pollies,.

The previous federal election when he followed Kim Beasley around the hustlings was both insightful,informative but oh so humouress at the same time. Matt's "Sketch" Column in The Australian was the first thing I would turn to.

He was respected by pollies from all political persuasions. I notice John Howard (when in Perth last week) went to Matt's home to see him on the Tuesday before he died. I was listening to Stephen Smith talking about him on the radio yesterday, Smith's to his credit had a little cry on radio (didn't hold back the emotion) as he was trying to tell about the message he had received from Matt during election night.

His "Rectangle" column in the sports pages was always a hoot to read. I just loved the way he could always turn any commentary around to include his beloved Fremantle Dockers.

Micky Malthouse's articles in the Australian might not be so erudite from now on as Matt was supposedly Malthouse's 'ghost writer' for his column. But Mick did sum Matt Price up very well in the forward to Matt's book on the Dockers.... he called Matt a "Cheeky Bugger"......... I think that was most apt.

It's been a pleasure to have read Matt's works, listened to him on radio every week and so to have been educated and entertained by such a delightful wordsmith. I'll miss his musings incredibly :( :(

saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

Thanks for the insights to this talented journo Guys.

Very sad news.

Far too young and even more tragic when a wife and kids involved.

Lost 2 sisters in the last 5 years one 46 like Matt. Makes you realise every second of every day is very precious... :roll:

Deep condolances to his family and friends.
Last edited by saint patrick on Wed 28 Nov 2007 5:30pm, edited 1 time in total.

Never take a backward step even to gain momentum.....

'It's OK to have the capabilities and abilities, but you've got to get it done." Terry Daniher 05

"We have beauty in our captain and we have a true leader in our coach. Our time will come"
Thinline.Post 09 Grand final.
B W and R all over
SS Hall of Fame

He copped a pasting in the Latham Diaries.
But then again, who didn't?

25 minutes to make a name for yourself like you've never made before.
Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Awful terrible news.

My favourite journalist and the best political writer in the country IMO.

Sounded like a terrific bloke, and I loved reading his column.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
On the Bench
Club Player
Location: Perth. Where Foxtel has now allowed me to watch my beloved Saints each week.

Went to the funeral on Friday. His kids were fantastic, their eulogies were delivered brilliantly. Sue, his wife was an absolute rock.

One of the many messages I received from Matt was to always, no matter how busy you are, how self absorbed you are, make sure that family comes first. Matt certainly lived by that and they're all the better for it.

It was a great tribute for a wonderful human being.

Vale Matt, the world is better for having you, a lot worse for losing you.

I am still hurting from 71;
my gut churns thinking of 97;
2009 was agony,
2010a was a pleasure to watch only to be devastated by 2010 b.
It hurts barracking for the Saints