AFL Draft and Pre-Season Draft

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

locoplayaz
Club Player

AFL Draft and Pre-Season Draft

Predictions..

AFL Draft

1 M.Kruezer (Ruck) Carl
2 T.Cotchin (Mid) Rich
3 C.Masten (Mid) WCE
4 B.Ebert (Mid) Melb
5 C.Morton (Wing/Utility) WB
6 R.Palmer (Mid) Ess
7 C.Rioli (Mid) Frem
8 A.Rance (KP Def) Bris
9 S.Selwood (Mid) St.K
10 M.Motlop (Mid) Adel
11 S.Reid (Mid) Syd
12 D.Myers (Back) Haw
13 P.Veszpremi (Mid) WCE
14 L.Henderson (KP Fwd) Melb
15 J.Grimes (Wing/Utility) Kang
16 D.Gourdis (KP Fwd) Port
17 T.Collier/Tweener (Utility) Gee
18 T.Bellchambers (Ruck) Rich
19 B.McEvoy (Ruck) WB
20 A.Maric (Mid) WCE

Pre-Season Draft

1 A.Sampi Rich
2 R.Ferguson Carl
3 M.Johnson Melb
4 C.Mourish WB
5 J.Cloke Ess
6 K.Bradley Frem
7 R.Dunn Bris
8 C.Collard St.K
9 R.Cole Adel
10 P.Bowden Syd
11 Pass Coll
12 S.Dew Haw
13 L.Vogels Kang
14 A.Krakouer WCE
15 I.Perrie Port

footynut
Club Player

Sydney Can not have a selection in da pre season draft as they will have a full list

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

I'd be surprised (from what I've read) if Selwood went that high ... nearly all the pundits have him going somewhere between 15 and 25 in the draft. Most rate Reid or Myers as better onballers for example.

But it's all a guessing game.

I'd also be surprised if the Bulldogs selected Morton with their pick, as they have a truckload of similar sorts of players, but a poor stock of developing KPP's.

Other than that, I reckon you've done a decent job ... I'd be rapt if we got Collard in the PSD. Over the moon, in fact.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Selwood is expected to go late in the second round. If we picked him it would be purely because of the name and it would bite us on the arse.

If Dew returns to professional sport it will be sumo wrestling. Seriously, you could squeeze two Dean Rioli's into one Stewie Dew these days.

Don't think we'd see any more than 5 recycled players drafted (to senior lists) this year. No chance in hell that there would be 14.

Batnoe

mad saint guy wrote:Selwood is expected to go late in the second round. If we picked him it would be purely because of the name and it would bite us on the arse.

If Dew returns to professional sport it will be sumo wrestling. Seriously, you could squeeze two Dean Rioli's into one Stewie Dew these days.

Don't think we'd see any more than 5 recycled players drafted (to senior lists) this year. No chance in hell that there would be 14.

And a Lance Whitnall

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Richmond will take Cale Morton. That's why they got his brother.

surfer1

I am a new poster, Stefan Garubba is a freind, what do people think of his chances in the PSD?

Riewoldting
SS Life Member

surfer1 wrote:I am a new poster, Stefan Garubba is a freind, what do people think of his chances in the PSD?
Welcome to Saintsational, Stefan :wink:

"To be or not to be" - William Shakespeare
"To be is to do" - Immanuel Kant
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra
stinger
Saintsational Legend

surfer1 wrote:I am a new poster, Stefan Garubba is a freind, what do people think of his chances in the PSD?
someone will draft him.......just who i don't know..if i did i would be down the newsagency filling out tattslotto forms......

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Have seen a fair bit of Garrubba playing for Casey and he is one player who could add a fair bit to the team. Is young, quick, tough, wins plenty of the footy and generally uses it well. Would be very happy to see him at St Kilda, although I have no idea what his chances are,

johnpeterbudgefanclub
Club Player

5 J.Cloke Ess
Just signed for two years at Williamstown.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

Poor ball handler when under pressure. If a player aint got clean hands, they aint got nothing... Is super quick, and his skills, but not an AFL player. I been watching him since he was 15 (same school); talented, but athlete first, footballer second.. Good VFL player, however...

sasaint
Club Player

Would not be surprised at all if we picked up Todd Grimma in the PSD. An exceptional talent that could not be promoted onto the Geelong list as their list is full and couldn't be kept on the rookie list and so was delisted. Top five in Draft camp for agilityrun and 11min 6 sec 3 KM test. Damaging 192 cm mid tall Fwd who I think would also operate well on the wing. :shock:

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Beno88 wrote:Richmond will take Cale Morton. That's why they got his brother.
I think you could be right

That would make it;

1. Kruiser (Carl)

2. Morton (Rich)

3. Palmer (WCE)

4. Cotchin (Melb). This equates to theft. I think he is the best this yr !!

dascman
Club Player

sasaint wrote:Would not be surprised at all if we picked up Todd Grimma in the PSD. An exceptional talent that could not be promoted onto the Geelong list as their list is full and couldn't be kept on the rookie list and so was delisted. Top five in Draft camp for agilityrun and 11min 6 sec 3 KM test. Damaging 192 cm mid tall Fwd who I think would also operate well on the wing. :shock:
He was delisted from Geelong for a reason.

St Igmata
Club Player

Eastern wrote:

That would make it;

1. Kruiser (Carl)

2. Morton (Rich)

3. Palmer (WCE)

Why would you believe he will be overlooked by three AFL recruiters if you think he is the best?

SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

I am pretty sure Rioli was interviewed by every club at draft camp except Fremantle and Brisbane. A clever ploy? Or just not interested?

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

St Igmata wrote:
Eastern wrote:

That would make it;

1. Kruiser (Carl)

2. Morton (Rich)

3. Palmer (WCE)

Why would you believe he will be overlooked by three AFL recruiters if you think he is the best?
Just an opinion based on the older Morton going to Rich in the trade and the rumours the Greg Miller was involved in some shifty deal with West Coast !!

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

I actually agree with Eastern. Cotchin is the best player in the draft.

Kreuzer is rated at number 1 because he will be a very, very good ruckman, and those prospects dont come along every year.

It Richmond have had their eyes on Morton for a while, and getting Mitch during trade week makes it a little more 'certain' for mine.

West Coast will take Palmer if Morton is not available - thats pretty much a given it would seem, as Palmer is ready for AFL football (and they need a ready made midfielder to help ease the loss of Judd and Cousins) from all reports, and a homegrown boy as well - no homesickness.

Cotchin would have to go next. Brilliant luck for the dogs if that happens, although it depends on their recruiting strategy as they might want to go for the best players that fit their needs - like the teams above, rather than the best player available.

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

Richmond will likely take Cale Morton at 2 - as a payola for getting Mitch Morton for 35 -> leaving Cotchin for the Eagles at 3

1 Kreuzer
2 Morton
3 Cotchin

Doubt Ben McEvoy will last to 18.
Jarrad Grant - Dandenong Stingrays - you should put him in

If all the top rated mids are gone by 9 - I would be stoked if they took Selwood :shock:

Very good effort though

Your servants shall hold her stones dear, and have pity on her dust :shock:
St Igmata
Club Player

n1ck wrote:I actually agree with Eastern. Cotchin is the best player in the draft.

Kreuzer is rated at number 1 because he will be a very, very good ruckman, and those prospects dont come along every year.

It Richmond have had their eyes on Morton for a while, and getting Mitch during trade week makes it a little more 'certain' for mine.

West Coast will take Palmer if Morton is not available - thats pretty much a given it would seem, as Palmer is ready for AFL football (and they need a ready made midfielder to help ease the loss of Judd and Cousins) from all reports, and a homegrown boy as well - no homesickness.

Cotchin would have to go next. Brilliant luck for the dogs if that happens, although it depends on their recruiting strategy as they might want to go for the best players that fit their needs - like the teams above, rather than the best player available.
Kreuzer has been proving himself in the TAC and the interstate comp over two seasons.
Time and time again he has performed at the highest standard .
Cotchin has been involved in the private school comp for most of that time playing on smaller grounds and without the added pressure of performing against the best of his peers and carrying a TAC club in the ruck for 18 months.
Cotchin struggled in the interstate carnival .He looked good in the finals of the TAC until he cracked a bone in his foot but he was still relatively fresh.

Both will be very good players but there is no argument almost all the head recruiters would take Kreuz over Cotch.

St Igmata
Club Player

Players that might still be there .
Talls:
McEvoy (FF/ ruckman , good mover and an imposing mark)

Henderson (KP forward .Talented but injury riddled. Can play FF or CHF)

Rance (Son of Murray i think)-Not sure about his pace but he can kick a football)

Midfielders:
Ebert (similar to a Gibbs but not as fast or as penetrating with his kicking.Good attack on the football)

Masten (Luke Ball kind player. Lacks kicking penetration)

Palmer (Mainwaring with a huge tank but top age .Could have been drafted last year)

Rioli (At this stage more of a burst player)

Myers(Tall wingman / hlaf back . Rated very highly by many recruiters and could find himself in the top half dozen.Good user of the ball and runs hard and fast)

Saints94
SS Life Member

what about guy richards?

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

homework wrote:what about guy richards?
:shock:

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

homework wrote:what about guy richards?
If there's nobody else available that we want in the PSD, can we draft Richards and delist Rix? Or does the list spot already have to be available?

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford