Who would you axe?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SaintWodonga
Club Player

Who would you axe?

Gwilt, Jones & Birss?

They looked not up to AFL standard today. Not sure how much game time they should geat next year...

Brooks, not playing this year it clearly out of favour & must go..

Who do you think should go?

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
Saints-06-Premiers
Club Player

Birss was buggered at one stage, instead of trying to chase a Richmond player he just ran straight into the man trying to shepherd.

Jones and Gwilt will stay, Lyons likes them.

I think Jones needs to be introduced to his right foot. Like Gram does with his left foot (shocker).

Too lazy to update my username
Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

Jones is terrible, not even really that quick to justify being out there. I would have rather see Geary get a game.

Ferguson should have been tried out up forward, was very ordinary against Pettifer (had 7 shots at goal). Really not sure that he is up to it.

Gwilt was ordinary, probably better suited up the ground as well but we need defenders & he doesn't cut it.

Brooks, Sweeney, Raymond all seem gone. Plus Fraser & Thommo.

That's a fair few gone already before any trading. I can't see any of the above having any trade value at all.

hAyES
Club Player

Jones - Can't hit a target 30m away. We don't need another McGough.

Gwilt - Just plain ****.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

After today's performance and Fraser's retirement, I would like to see these changes

Retired: Gehrig, Thompson, M.Clarke
Delisted: Raymond, Ferguson, Voss

Rookies
Elevate: Geary
Retain: Attard, Eddy, van Rheenen
Delist: Jones, Wall

That leaves 5 spots on the senior list and 3 rookie spots.

Use 4 draft picks with a preference on skilled, quick midfielders. Draft Stefan Garrubba from Casey. Use rookie picks on developing ruckmen and aboriginals kids deemed to be too small for the national draft.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Saints-06-Premiers wrote:Birss was buggered at one stage, instead of trying to chase a Richmond player he just ran straight into the man trying to shepherd.

Jones and Gwilt will stay, Lyons likes them.

I think Jones needs to be introduced to his right foot. Like Gram does with his left foot (shocker).
Wouldnt mind Jones be introduced to his left boot. Just avery ordinary footballer.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:After today's performance and Fraser's retirement, I would like to see these changes

Retired: Gehrig, Thompson, M.Clarke
Delisted: Raymond, Ferguson, Voss

Rookies
Elevate: Geary
Retain: Attard, Eddy, van Rheenen
Delist: Jones, Wall

That leaves 5 spots on the senior list and 3 rookie spots.

Use 4 draft picks with a preference on skilled, quick midfielders. Draft Stefan Garrubba from Casey. Use rookie picks on developing ruckmen and aboriginals kids deemed to be too small for the national draft.
Sweeney and Brooks? Ferg may be safe but a close call.

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

Has Jones been introduced to his right foot?

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Re: Who would you axe?

SaintWodonga wrote:& Birss?
So how did Foley go today????? I thought it might relevant since Birss was playing on him......

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Solar
Saintsational Legend

Re: Who would you axe?

saintsRrising wrote:
SaintWodonga wrote:& Birss?
So how did Foley go today????? I thought it might relevant since Birss was playing on him......
didn't fish play on him today?? kept him to 15 posies

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Get rid of Anthony "Skills" Evans, Kitschke, Antrobus, Frost, Greg Jones, Aldo Di Petta and Laurence Bingham

Keep the 2 Phil's - Narkle and Cronin, Doug Cox, John Favier and Daryl Hewitt

Also stick with the 5 year plan - serious we are gunna be good one day

Go Saints!!!! :twisted:

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
To the top
SS Life Member

Pretty much agree Mad Saint Guy.

McQualter may also be under some pressure - but it is who you can get to replace them that is the major consideration.

You do not cut off your nose despite your face.

SaintWodonga
Club Player

I think I would also look at our assistant coaches.. Would get rid of Barker, not good forward strucutre this year..[/img]

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Actually, we have scored with about half our inside 50 entries since Round 12, and are the most efficient team in terms of disposals per scoring shot in that period too ...

We don't waste the ball. We just don't get much of it and kick poorly when we do.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

OUT
Thompson
Gehrig
Raymond
Sweeney
Brooks
Gwilt
Voss
Doc

Demote
Wall

Promote
Geary

Ferguson and McQualter saved by the skin of their teeth simply because of the mass exodus and the fact that there are no queries over their training and work ethics

Carl Mynott
Club Player

Ferguson has had 2 games in a row and hasn't looked up to it in either game,
i think delisting him last year was the correct decision,unfortunately....

:P

The more things change the more they stay the same
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:OUT
Thompson
Gehrig
Raymond
Sweeney
Brooks
Gwilt
Voss
Doc

Demote
Wall

Promote
Geary

Ferguson and McQualter saved by the skin of their teeth simply because of the mass exodus and the fact that there are no queries over their training and work ethics
Contracts. Gwilt will have to stay.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

keep brooks and play him second ruck in the seniors.

with fraser retiring (way too prematurely in my opinion) kosi must play full-forward permanently.

this opens a spot for brooks and, hopefully, gardiner will come up.

there's always blake, who is a very capable ruckman, rix, who is a depth player and even goose can pinch-hit.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:keep brooks and play him second ruck in the seniors.

with fraser retiring (way too prematurely in my opinion) kosi must play full-forward permanently.

this opens a spot for brooks and, hopefully, gardiner will come up.

there's always blake, who is a very capable ruckman, rix, who is a depth player and even goose can pinch-hit.
Brooks is gone. Sorry to all the people who think he is a ruckman but Blake is Polly Farmer compared to Brooks in the ruck.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Brooks is gone. Sorry to all the people who think he is a ruckman but Blake is Polly Farmer compared to Brooks in the ruck.
well play blake in the ruck. he's been very effective and him not being there much of this season has cost us bigtime imo. gives us plenty around the ground and i'm also of the opinion that a ruckman must do more than win tap-outs.

the on-ball division has looked ordinary with clarke and rix in there much of the time. i agree with the gt/rendell school of thought (unfashionable though it may be) that tap-outs to advantage are over-rated

i'm sure of one thing:

without fraser kosi must play as a permanent full-forward next season. just gives us a bloke who can take a big contested mark ... the only certain way i know of beating the flood.

goose is also worth a run in the ruck if we can spare him down back. sure he is conceding centimetres, but just think of what he can provide around the ground in marking contests and with strong body work.

whatever the answer is, we must find a serviceable ruckman to allow kosi to play forward.

best case scenario is that gardiner makes a lazarus-like comeback and we use blake and goose in there as back-ups.

barring that we need to snag one from somewhere ... hopefully not a washed-up dud ... and hopefully one who can contribute something around the ground.

in all seriousness my old favourite ts40 (who was moved on to make way for clarke) would have been better value in the ruck than clarke

rix is a depth player at best, unfortunately.

from what i've seen of brooks he has the skills to make it but not the confidence in his physical strength. perhaps some heavy gym work would help him.

bigger guys do take longer to develop and some blokes thrive when given responsibility and have some faith shown in them (which, incidentally, we never have).

who knows. he could be the surprise packet of 2008.

Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

I just cant see what anyone sees in Ferguson. Gotta go

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

I think all those posters who seem to want to delist half the team each season are going to be a tad disappointed.

Thommo, M Clarke and Gehrig are gone and Harvey is no certainty to play on.

I imagine that Raymond is a certainty to be cut, and Sweeney a strong chance.

That's anywhere up to six gone already.

I'd be surprised if too many more are cut. Here's my reading on the other candidates.

B Voss: he was out of form towards the end of this year, but he's experienced, and his brother is a powerful person in the AFL world who the Saints wouldn't particularly want to put off side (and don't discount the importance of this point). I reckon he'll be retained unless he decides to retire.

B Brooks: not much chop, but why would a club that is desperate for ruckmen and who has had one just retire and another who has been injured all season decide to get rid of a ruckman?

J Gwilt: I'm a fan, but I'd be the first to admit that he made some appalling decisions with the ball in his hands yesterday. But he also showed some potential ability as well. Too many posters on this forum focuses exclusively on the mistakes a player makes rather than on the good things that they show that they can do. Gwilt has shown on a number of occasions that he has plenty of potential and they'd be mad to get rid of him.

Ferguson: Just doesn't look like an AFL player to me. But he seems to have a lot of fans on here, so perhaps I'm no judge.

Raph: I don't think club is seriously wanting to get rid of him, but a lot on here want to. He has played 2 good games out of his last three IMO. Surely he will shut the critics up for good next season (as BJ did in 2006).

The rookies

Attard: given the serious nature of his injury, I assume he won't be elevated.

Jones: played another shocker yesterday. I would either leave him on the rookie list or cut him, but he seems to have fans among the coaching staff/selection panel so he'll probably be offered a long-term contract. Message to all up and coming AFL players: don't bother working on your skills, just dye your hair blond and learn how to run around the field in a jerky fashion waving your hands in the air.

The other rookies: give them another year.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
always tomorrow
Club Player

rod butters

AT

p.s. take that as gospel.

Saints to go great in 08!
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

always tomorrow wrote:rod butters

AT

That will make JD's day :)

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

always tomorrow wrote:rod butters

AT

Do we have a decent replacement? I wont vote him out unless the challenge ticket is a bloody good one.

With the delisting as someone said above no use delisting 10 people from the list when the draft isn't supposed to be that good this year. Some of those ten may still be an outside chance to make it, and most individually I would delist but as a whole you can't delist that many at one time. No use getting 5 long shots (thats what the rookie draft is for).