read on harvs

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

read on harvs

http://realfooty.com.au/news/news/more- ... 86665.html

ROBERT Harvey's transition into the next phase of his life has been in motion for some time now and has taken unexpected forms. Like his nightly guitar lessons, a vow to brush up on his Italian and a move, with his family, to the Mornington Peninsula.
So prepared was Harvey for starting life after footy that, in the middle of last year, he and wife Danielle and their three kids, Connor, Remi and Alyssa, uprooted from bayside Melbourne, where the couple had lived for about 13 years, and headed for the quieter surrounds of Mount Eliza. Harvey, at age 35, then signed on for a 20th year with the Saints.

Another pre-season, the rigours of weekly training sessions and matches have been nothing compared to the 45-minute drives he's had to make to and from Moorabbin since. They've been killing him.

"There's no way I would have moved if I knew I was going to play on," Harvey chuckled yesterday, speaking to The Age before he and his family flew to Perth, where he will play his 350th game on Sunday.

"It drives me mad - I hate it! I try every different radio station and CDs. I travelled up from Frankston initially, so I know that drive all too well. I don't like traffic at all."

Having had three weeks' lay-off with a hamstring injury, Harvey quite reasonably could have avoided making another long trip - this one by plane and separate from his teammates - last night.

Certainly, the fanfare around his 350th would have been greater had he held off until the Saints' home game against Richmond next weekend.

It's all very Robert Harvey. And on the eve of another milestone game, he looks his interviewer straight in the eye and says he doesn't know whether he will go around again next year, so he's hardly going to waste any opportunities to play now.

"I can honestly say I'm playing this year like it's going to be my last year, and that's honest.

"I could say, 'Yes, I want to play next year', but if I drop off, or do another hammy, or I start to struggle, it's not going to happen and nor should it. If I sit here and say, 'I'm going to play next year', it means nothing, or it means the same as me saying, 'I'm not going to or I'm a small chance to'.

"Regardless of what's happened in the first half of the year, it'll come down to the second half of the year. And there will be factors that will be outside of how I'm playing as well. Depending on how the team goes and what sort of policy they want to go with next year - there's a lot of factors that will come into that which I won't be standing in the way of at all.

"Motivation's not a problem. It never will be. Motivation is the easy part. But you can't play forever."

And so, with Harvey having been declared fit after a Wednesday training session in Melbourne, chaos reigned in his household yesterday afternoon.

Danielle scurried around trying to get the kids' hair cut, dropped off feline family member Sophie to a cattery and dog Archie to a friend's. The fish, she hoped, would survive the four nights without them.

During the speech Harvey made at his testimonial dinner last Saturday night, in front of 1200 people, he choked up twice. First, when he discussed the influence that the late, great Trevor Barker had on him as a junior. And later, when he mentioned his wife and kids.

Football might have prevented him from taking Easter holidays for 20 years and from being around every weekend like his kids' friends' dads, but Danielle Harvey says it's a rare morning when her whole family doesn't sit down together for breakfast. There also has been some serious family bonding going on of late, sparked by the guitar lessons Master Harvey had at the beginning of the year.

"Connor started playing at school, and then Rob got into it, so I bought him a guitar for Easter. He's really good!" Danielle enthused.

"Connor's given it away, but Remi's taken it up, and Rob and Remi practise every night. It's a nightmare - he does it every night while my favourite show's on! They can practise for up to an hour and a half. He's working on some Crowded House and Powderfinger songs. He's really into music and I think it's great for him because he's so sporty and so sports-minded, it's great for him to do something else.

"He's got a lot of layers - he still surprises me. He's a very determined person, but I do think football's taken up a lot - by choice of course - and it's his great love, but he's actually more creative than he seems. It's just an area he hasn't really explored."

Harvey says his wife has "always put a positive slant on things - in a really light-hearted way ... she's not heavy at all, it's all just 'go and do it'." He doesn't think Danielle has seen a full game in his 349 - "she goes, but she talks! She cannot stop talking!" - but doesn't think she need to. "I don't know, she's always had a great amount of faith in me and the kids and she's really open about saying it. She doesn't keep it in and I suppose in a way that's something that's a little bit different to me and I appreciate it."

Back to football, though, and specifically the Saints, who, Harvey says forlornly, have "underachieved" so far this season.

"It's been disappointing ... even with the personnel we've had out there. We've been very inconsistent, we haven't had any continuity in our list, especially our key defenders, and that really upsets your structures. And we've been a bit cautious with how we've moved the ball. That's not how Ross wants us to play, but for whatever reason, as players we've done that."

He speaks about the club's new coach as if he's the one who can steer St Kilda to its second premiership.

"I think he's going to be a great coach for us long-term.

"He's got some really basic things that he sees as essential that successful sides need, and I think whether it's later this year or next year or whatever, that the penny will drop with that, and we'll get better and it'll work out. That could happen really quickly. We're confident that it can.

"The main reason I'm confident about that is the amount of work and effort and the commitment he's putting in towards it. I know every coach would be the same, but I reckon the stuff that he finds important and the work that he does put into it is perfect stuff for a modern-day coach.

"It's more than I've seen, and it's new levels for our players, and I reckon in the modern-day game where opposition analysis is at a premium, he leaves no stone unturned."

He's got a great foundation with where he's been, and he's been doing it for 10 years. He knows the business, he knows what's required to win a flag and he knows how to implement it. I reckon he's perfect for it."

But can Harvey be part of it?

Despite being so outwardly calm, he is a chronic nail-biter. That elusive premiership cup has been a continuing source of angst, and it's perhaps in Harvey's fingertips that it manifests itself. The concept of retirement, after dedicating himself to St Kilda from the age of 16, has been a source of anxiety, too.

"I suppose it scares you because you're waiting for that big, I don't know, whatever it is that hits you and you can't play any more. Slowing down and not being able to keep up is scary. I suppose you're scared about finishing and not playing in a premiership, as well - that sort of compounds it a bit.

"But I've stretched it out pretty well, so it's not that scary to me any more. I can just go out and enjoy my footy and train hard and if I break down, well, that's OK, because it's been good to me."

The Harveys' eldest kids are learning Italian at school. Robert did the same when he was their age, and now has reason to get back into the books.

"That's the one regret I have. Even when I was younger and I wasn't married, apart from going on a footy trip to Bali or Hawaii I didn't go to Europe or America and do what I should have done.

"We've actually talked about living in Italy for a year or so. I'd love to go and do that, even for six months. We're half-committed to doing it."

It's the only unbelievable thing he says all interview. Since when has Robert Harvey been half-committed to doing anything?

Robert Harvey
Born August 21, 1971
Recruited from Seaford
Career matches 349
Career goals 211

HONOURS
Brownlow Medal: 1997, 1998
St Kilda best and fairest: 1992, 1994, 1997, 1998
St Kilda captain: 2001-02
All-Australian: 1992, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2003
International Rules series: 1998
EJ Whitten Medal (best Victorian player in state matches): 1992, 1993, 1996
AFL players association's most valuable player: 1997
Pre-season premiership teams: 1996, 2004
Michael Tuck Medal (best afield in pre-season grand final): 2004

SEASON 2007
Nine matches, four goals, 186 disposals (119 kicks), 58 marks

THE 350 CLUB
426 Michael Tuck (Haw)
403 Kevin Bartlett (Rich)
378 Simon Madden (Ess)
375 Craig Bradley (Carl)
366 Bernie Quinlan (Foots 177, Fitz 189)
359 John Blakey (Fitz 135, Kang 224)
356 Bruce Doull (Carl) Paul Roos (Fitz 269, Syd 87)
350 Doug Hawkins (Foots 329, Fitz 21)

ST KILDA LEGENDS NOMINATE THEIR TOP FIVE
Chloe Saltau

KEVIN "COWBOY" NEALE
Full-forward who kicked five goals in the 1966 grand final win.

1. ROBERT HARVEY: "The longevity of Harvey has been absolutely outstanding and he's played in an era that hasn't been all that easy, all that successful. It's difficult to find a better St Kilda player, with all that he has achieved over 20 years."
2. DARREL BALDOCK: "There wouldn't be a game go past that he wouldn't do something that would leave you with your mouth open. It's just a shame he wasn't six foot three because he would have broken a million opposition hearts. He was sensational."
3. IAN STEWART: "I never tried it, but Stewy was the sort of bloke I could have led (to) with my eyes shut and my arms out and he would have landed the ball on my chest. He was just that skilled, and he was tough, backing into packs and getting up again."
4. TONY LOCKETT: "When you look at his record, he really was a great player."
5. ROSS SMITH: "You wouldn't get a better person, or a better trier. He won a Brownlow Medal, didn't have the superdooper skills of a Baldock or Stewart but he had other traits that made him what he was. I played most of my 250 games with him."

DANNY FRAWLEY
Tough defender and St Kilda's longest-serving captain.

1. ROBERT HARVEY: "Rob basically has stood the test of time over 20 years, playing at the elite level and getting tagged in probably 300 of those 350 games. And he has the ability to bring other players into the game."
2. TONY LOCKETT: "He would have to come second, just on pure talent and goalkicking ability over 15 years."
3. IAN STEWART: "He was a marking centreman with elite ball skills and he was as tough as they come."
4. DARREL BALDOCK: "A five foot 10 centre half-forward who captained the only premiership team. He was only here for six years but he left an indelible mark on the game."
5. TREVOR BARKER: "I just think for a player of his height to play key position in years when St Kilda weren't great, to play the way he did. And people talk about the high marks, which he was fantastic at, but he was the best tackler I've ever seen."

DARREL BALDOCK
Captain for St Kilda's 1966 premiership and Harvey's first coach.

1. ROBERT HARVEY: "I admired him when he first started training; his skills, his courage, the full deal. He was a schoolboy but you could see he was going to be (a champion). Anything I say has been proved right anyway. He would have to be the best."
2. IAN STEWART: "He was fearless and his disposal on the left and right foot was excellent."
3. TONY LOCKETT: "He was such a dominant player, being so big."
4. TREVOR BARKER: "He was a very good player. He didn't live far away from me in Cheltenham and I gave him some pigeons (one of Barker's passions was racing pigeons). He played for such a long time and he took some spectacular high marks."
5. VERDUN HOWELL: "He's Tasmanian, so that's in his favour. For his height, he was incredible and he walked straight into full-back when he'd played most of his Tasmanian football on a halfforward flank. He was such a brilliant high mark."

BARRY BREEN
Played 300 games for St Kilda and kicked the winning point in '66.

1. DARREL BALDOCK: "He was just the best ever, simple as that."
2. IAN STEWART: "Three Brownlow Medals speak for themselves. He was a great player, and not far behind Doc."
3. ROBERT HARVEY: "His longevity and two Brownlows put him right up there. He's unassuming, a great fella."
4. TONY LOCKETT: "His goalkicking record speaks for itself."
5. NATHAN BURKE: "He had a great work ethic and made the most of his ability. A fantastic player."

STEWART LOEWE
Former games record-holder and captain.

1. TONY LOCKETT: "We played in similar positions, so he was someone I always looked up to. He was just such an awesome impact player and for a man of his size, I haven't seen a guy with better foot skills than him."
2. ROBERT HARVEY: "His work ethic, his ability to get to so many contests, and he is an absolute perfectionist on the training track. He is a matchwinner as well."
3. NICKY WINMAR: "Sheer brilliance. He could play tall, carry the footy and turn a game in the space of five minutes. In his prime, he was just awesome."
4. NATHAN BURKE: "He had a huge work ethic. He wasn't the quickest or the biggest jumper or the most skilful player, but his tenacity and his ability to shut down opponents and find the footy himself were sensational."
5. TREVOR BARKER: "I only played towards the end of his career but he was a great leader, my first captain at the club. His high marking and his tackling were sensational and he was a great role model."

JOHN BEVERIDGE
Veteran St Kilda recruiter who, as development officer in 1986, invited a 14-yearold Harvey into a junior squad.

1. ROBERT HARVEY: "For longevity of performance, for a start, and all the awards he has won over the years - the All-Australian honours, the two Brownlows, the three E.J. Whitten Medals. He has stood the test of time and has the ability of a champion."
2. TONY LOCKETT: "He was an absolutely dominating full-forward. For the numerous bags of goals and matchwinning performances he produced, and for becoming the all-time leading goalkicker in the game. His power and speed were quite remarkable."
3. IAN STEWART: "I didn't see as much of Ian Stewart and Darrel Baldock but I bow to those who have seen them and always rated them in the top three or four players at St Kilda. Stewart won two Brownlow Medals (at St Kilda) and was outstandingly skilled and brave."
4. DARREL BALDOCK: "The brilliance of Baldock; I mean he was about five foot nine-and-a-half playing centre half-forward. He was a great leader and again I bow to people who have seen more of him than me who consider him one of the greatest St Kilda players of all time."
5. NICKY WINMAR: "He was the first indigenous player to play 200 games. He had wonderful balance and athleticism, and he was a wonderful player to watch."

asiu

bump (off the back page )

with stuff from other threads about to hit the recycle bin

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/ ... 42,00.html

Robert Harvey, this is your life
24 June 2007 Sunday Herald Sun
Jackie Epstein

IN 1988 a kid from Seaford makes his debut for the Saints. Fast forward 349 games and he's still going strong.

THE DEBUT

Robert Harvey made his debut for St Kilda 11 days short of his 17th birthday against Footscray at the Western Oval in Round 19, 1988, wearing No. 52.

He started on a half-forward flank and had the first kick of the match, racked up 12 touches. The Saints lost by 69 points.

The next year, wearing the more familiar No. 35 guernsey, he played six games before injuring his ankle against the Swans at Moorabbin and missed 10 weeks. He returned for the final six rounds – the last games he would play under first coach Darrel Baldock.

The St Kilda line-up that day was:

B: Sheldon, Frawley, Jeffrey

HB: Nixon, Elphinstone, Cunningham

C: Rice, Mick Dwyer, Daniels

HF: Winmar, Loewe, Burns

F: Harvey, McConville, Bowey

FOLL: B.Jones, Coghlan, Burke

INTER: Barker, Peter-Budge
THE CRICKETER

Not surprisingly Harvey "could have been" a gun left-arm fast bowler who "could'" field a bit as well. He took a wicket with his first ball in district cricket – playing for Fitzroy-Doncaster against St Kilda at age 14. Dad Jeff said playing cricket was part of the family's heritage. Jeff's uncle was the great Neil Harvey, brother of his father Merv. Their other brother Ray was also a fine cricketer who played for Victoria. "He loved playing cricket and it's in the family," Jeff said. "It was part of our heritage. He played in the under 19s and in that carnival I remember he played against (Adam) Gilchrist and (Damien) Martyn." Harvey continued to combine cricket with footy until the Saints put a stop to it in 1993. In his last game which was at Frankston he duly took 5-60. "His dad Jeff was chairman of selectors and at the time I said, 'let's get Harvs to play'," captain-coach Shaun Graf said. "He was a star but the club thought it was too dangerous. There's no doubt he could have gone on to bigger and better things but he chose football."

THE RECRUITER

Saints development officer John Beveridge recalls having to coax Harvey into having a kick. "He wasn't that fussed about practice match stuff," he said. "He did some training at the end of '85 when he was 14 and then played in our under 15 schoolboys team which Nathan Burke had captained the year before. We had a battle to get him into the team for the first time because he was just a light 16 and a half year-old. History shows we nominated him for the under 17 Victorian team and there was only one in those days.

"I remember the coach Ray Jordon saying to me, 'He's hardly any good and you say he's a talent'. He didn't let his star shine early but then he realised he was good at this when he made the All-Australian side.

"He's always loved to train and has always demanded of himself that he be as fit as he possibly could.

"Maybe it was because he knew early days if he wasn't fit he couldn't shake a tag. Ken Sheldon made the point that he bounces the ball with his left hand more often so the opposition usually go to the left. But the fact his natural kicking foot is his right, it helps him evade people a little bit better. His double sidedness has always helped him."

THE ROOKIE

Two young Saints played their first game in the same match together at the Western Oval. Harvey and Brett Bowey were named in the team and told by coach Darrel Baldock that they would see out the remaining four games of the season. Bowey departed in 1994 and now works for a greeting card firm. "It was a pretty ordinary day out there but Harvs played well," he said. "I cannot believe he's still going and the thing is he's not just making up the numbers. You could tell he had the movement and his reading of the play at that age was fantastic. And to be at the one club shows his loyalty too. He was into his cricket all right – having a famous uncle and being bowler. The fact he's still playing, he's a freak and should be rated up there with the best."

In 1988 Harvey played Teal Cup, eight under 19s games and six reserve grade games (one of which was ironically alongside Shane Warne). He got $30 a game in the under 19s, $150 in the reserves and no more than $500 for a senior game.

"When his footy career started to really blossom he was still playing senior district cricket with Fitzroy-Doncaster," Beveridge said. "He was in contention for the Australian under 17 team to go to the West Indies. He probably didn't realise then what outstanding endurance he had, but he always had balance and the ability to fight his way through traffic. His reading of the game was amazing."

THE COACHES

When Harvey took his first tentative steps into Moorabbin his nerves weren't eased by coach Darrel Baldock who kept calling him Rodney. Nathan Burke recalls that he was too shy to correct him so it became a running joke among the players. Baldock may not have got his name right, but he knew he had seen a champion slip into the ranks. Stan Alves, who coached from 1994-1998, said Harvey always stood out. "Robert Harvey was a guy that I could say in my time as coach that I gave him a dozen bakes that he never deserved," Alves said. "The reason was two-fold. I knew if I challenged Rob at any time he would just look at you and you knew the fire would burn. But also I knew there were boys I could talk to and if you talked to in a challenging way you could destroy them. You could see the rest of the players say `gee, if he's saying that to Harves then we better lift."

THE OPPOSITION PLAYER

Hawk Shane Crawford has long been following Harvey's backside. Their first meeting was in 1993. "I always kept my eye on him and he was someone I wanted to model myself on. It's unbelievable he's been able to play as long as he has in that position and he's still going so well. He would keep pushing and pushing himself and you'd see him with his hands on his hips but then whoosh – he'd just take off. You knew he was hurting, so mentally he's just amazing and physically he's a freak. He just never looks like he's cruising, he's always workmanlike. His philosophy is to just run until you hurt and then hurt more."

THE TEAMMATES

There are five players among the current senior and rookie lists who were born in 1988. He often cops the "old man" tag and wears it with pride. Roommate over many years, defender Max Hudghton tells of smelly feet, boofy morning hair and a complete role model. "He's had a fantastic career and truly is a great leader," he said. "People say actions speak louder than words and he's the classic example."

Andrew Thompson said he had always been a perfect mentor. "I just always remember there being a pool of sweat around Harvs. He trained at a level that I'd never seen before and his ability to gut-run is unlike I've never seen. I remember the game against Adelaide, the final over there (in 2005), the way he went about it and just dragged the team over the line was amazing. You just learn so much off him."

THE FAMILY

Growing up Harvey's parents Marilyn and Jeff called him Bob. They would always make the journey from their Seaford home to watch their boy in action. Younger son Anthony played four games for the Saints in 1994. "He was a bit smaller than Robert, but was a very courageous player," Beveridge said. "He now lives in Adelaide and went on to captain Norwood." The whole family has flown over to Perth for today's 350-game milestone. "In his first year he showed a lot of potential and there was never any doubt that he was dedicated. We just hope it's a good for him and the team because they really need a win."

THE FAN

Head of the cheer squad Pam Mawson has been involved with the club for 20 years. "He's a special favourite who never lets us down. It's astounding how he just keeps going. We had Stewie (Loewe) and Nathan and Harvs and now we just have Harvs on his own. I was around when he first started and he looked so young then. It'd sad that most of his milestones the team hasn't won so I hope they do it for him. You hear some of the comments made about him and they are all true. You would have trouble thinking of things to tease him about. He's certainly not a Chris Tarrant."

THE FUTURE

Typically understated Harvey has left the door open to numerous possibilities. It would surprise no one if he played on, but at his testimonial he vowed that regardless of his decision he would not be lost to the game. "I will definitely get a job. I don't know what that will entail," he said.

"Footy is something I love and something I have always done. At some level I would love to help out, I am not sure if coaching is the go, but (football) is what I do and I want to stay involved." Already the club's leading games holder and the winner of two Brownlows, E.J. Whitten medals and best and fairests, he has nothing more to prove. But a deep love of the game is sure to keep his mind ticking over. "It's his decision but he hasn't made his mind up yet," his father Jeff said. "He told me recently that he's probably addicted to fitness."

THE ROBERT HARVEY FILE

Born: 21/8/1971.

181cm, 86cm.

Recruited from Seaford.

349 games. 208 goals.

Brownlow Medal: 1997, 1998

Best and fairest: 1992, 1994, 1997, 1998.

Second best and fairest: 2000, 2003

Third best and fairest: 1990, 1993, 1996, 1999.

All-Australian: 1992, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2003.

International Rules: 1998

EJ Whitten Medal: 1992, 1993, 1996

AFLPA MVP: 1997

Michael Tuck Medal: 2004

Pre-season premiership: 1996, 2004

Captain: 2001-02

Harvey clears up captaincy remarks

ROBERT Harvey has clarified the surprising expression of regret he made at his testimonial dinner when he lamented the fact that he had captained St Kilda for only two years.

The Saints' champion, who plays his 350th match at Subiaco Oval today, made the candid admission in his speech last Saturday night.

The comments, in isolation, came across as a veiled criticism of his former coach, Grant Thomas, who, while in charge at St Kilda, introduced a unique rotating captains policy in which Harvey passed on the title to Aaron Hamill at the end of 2002.

"I loved those two years and if I had my time again, I'd love to do it a bit more," Harvey said at the dinner.

Thomas was not invited to the function and did not feature in any of the video or written tributes to the dual Brownlow medallist. But in an interview with The Age this week, Harvey said his choice of words on the night had been clumsy and, as a result, misunderstood.

"My family and my close friends would have known what I meant by that," he said before leaving for Perth to play his milestone match.

"When I gave the captaincy up, I was well and truly at the age to give it up, and I probably would have suggested it anyway. I'd had two years of injuries, a knee reco, a shoulder reco, and I was 31. The time was right, absolutely," Harvey said.

"I was all for the rotational captaincy. I reckon it was great. Aaron was perfect to take over when he did and the others have all benefited greatly from it.

"… I said that to Grant straight up. I never had a drama with it. The regret I had, and why I said that I wanted to be captain longer, is that I suppose I didn't get out there enough when I was younger and try and chase it. I just played under 'Spud' (Danny Frawley) and I would have loved to have done it when I was a bit younger, to get that experience and to get the idea of leading.

"I understand how it came across that way, but it had nothing to do with me losing the captaincy."

He also said Thomas — one of seven men who coached Harvey and the one who directed him in the most games — would have been welcome at his dinner.

"I have no dramas with Thommo myself, absolutely none. He wished me well on Saturday and I spoke to him on Monday and there were no dramas at all.

"I didn't check the guest list, I didn't make a special request to have (former coaches) Stan Alves there or Tim Watson there.

"I would have loved him (Thomas) to be there and had no dramas with him being there. I understand there's tension between him and the club, or certain people at the club."

While lacking nothing in motivation, even in his 20th season, though admitting that he is playing this year as if it were his last. Harvey has the support of club chief executive Archie Fraser to play on for another season, if his form held up.

"It will be absolutely his choice," Fraser said, "but at the moment, he's still an elite runner and with the way he's been playing, you'd be encouraging him to go on.

"I don't see why he can't keep going, but we won't ask him until he's ready to answer the question, and that probably wouldn't be until September."

Fraser said the club would mark Harvey's milestone at its game against Richmond next week, despite the midfielder's reluctance.

"In typical Harvs style, he doesn't want much to happen, so it will be more about fan interaction," he said.

"If he gets cleared after the weekend, we'll roll into something next week to make sure we get as many people to the game as possible and that they can salute a pretty incredible achievement."

When he does retire, Harvey said he was interested in a coaching role.

"If the club wanted me to do something and help them out, I'd be more than happy to help them out," he said