Mason Wood

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Mason Wood

I hope his eye is OK after someone stuck a thumb in it. He had to play with his eye closed for most of the second half. He has had his best year in my opinion - certainly his most consistent. Despite that, I think he can get fitter and stronger. Or should I say, he needs to get fitter and stronger. The game is evolving into a rugby clone with strength being paramount. Some of the players in the Lions Port game have thighs that are bigger than some of our player's bodies.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Re: Mason Wood

He’s in this funny space where his second half of the year was quite decent and also mediocre compared to his first half of the year. First 6 weeks pre-injury he was an elite match winning impact player.

There’s something about him that I really like. It’s that competitive thing… he attacks the ball and contest pretty much like it’s life or death every single time. As a result, he’s one of the few that seems as though he could turn the game at any minute.

Am a big fan of Coops and if it were up to me… he’d live with and be near Wood every single day of the off-season. If he just had Mason’s attack, agility and aggression he’d kick 6 goals a week.

Had a very good game today I thought

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

He’s had a terrific season. Should finish top 5 for the Barker Medal.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Banger9798
SS Life Member

Also carrying that shoulder injury since about round 5 or 6 . Up until then he was AA level

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
Lennylegs
Club Player

Absolutely unique situation at the Saints. Our top four best and fairest players will all be absolute bargain basement recruits. Sinclair, Marshall, Wilkie, Wood.

If only we could've matched this group with better drafting a few years ago. These diamonds are how you win premierships. Think of Richmond with Grigg, Nanketvis, Houli, Lambert, etc.

Anyway, thankfully we've rectified our drafting lately. You need that combo of bargains and high value draft picks to win flags. We're on the right track.

Banger9798
SS Life Member

Lennylegs wrote: Sat 09 Sep 2023 10:22pm Absolutely unique situation at the Saints. Our top four best and fairest players will all be absolute bargain basement recruits. Sinclair, Marshall, Wilkie, Wood.

If only we could've matched this group with better drafting a few years ago. These diamonds are how you win premierships. Think of Richmond with Grigg, Nanketvis, Houli, Lambert, etc.

Anyway, thankfully we've rectified our drafting lately. You need that combo of bargains and high value draft picks to win flags. We're on the right track.
Yep sounds like we are about to convert a bunch of former FRDPs for third rounders.... that's pretty poor work.

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
Lennylegs
Club Player

Banger9798 wrote: Sat 09 Sep 2023 10:43pm
Lennylegs wrote: Sat 09 Sep 2023 10:22pm Absolutely unique situation at the Saints. Our top four best and fairest players will all be absolute bargain basement recruits. Sinclair, Marshall, Wilkie, Wood.

Yep sounds like we are about to convert a bunch of former FRDPs for third rounders.... that's pretty poor work.
Poor work and also just sad. You have such high hopes for these guys and it doesn't work out. It sucks.

Big Max
Club Player

perfectionist wrote: Sat 09 Sep 2023 9:53pm I hope his eye is OK after someone stuck a thumb in it. He had to play with his eye closed for most of the second half. He has had his best year in my opinion - certainly his most consistent. Despite that, I think he can get fitter and stronger. Or should I say, he needs to get fitter and stronger. The game is evolving into a rugby clone with strength being paramount. Some of the players in the Lions Port game have thighs that are bigger than some of our player's bodies.
...that 'someone' may have been the All Australian captain ..

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

You forgot Cooper Sharman. Starred today under very difficult circumstances.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Banger9798 wrote: Sat 09 Sep 2023 10:43pm Yep sounds like we are about to convert a bunch of former FRDPs for third rounders.... that's pretty poor work.
Yeah but you don't throw good money after bad. If they aren't part of the team and won't be, get rid of them for whatever price you can get.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Bigger and stronger??

Wood is a beast athlete - had an enormous season

saynta
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote: Sat 09 Sep 2023 9:53pm I hope his eye is OK after someone stuck a thumb in it. He had to play with his eye closed for most of the second half. He has had his best year in my opinion - certainly his most consistent. Despite that, I think he can get fitter and stronger. Or should I say, he needs to get fitter and stronger. The game is evolving into a rugby clone with strength being paramount. Some of the players in the Lions Port game have thighs that are bigger than some of our player's bodies.
Toby Greene.