Ratts vs Rooey

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Ratts vs Rooey

Ratts on SEN, about Rooey's comments on Saints' very low standards for several years.

Ratts said Roo only ever came to the club for free physio, so how would he know about training standards.

The Dishevellled One reckons 'in footy, as well as life', people will tell others certain things (i.e. bad-mouth gossip) because of an agenda, etc.

Just when we need another drama before a game.

Spice things up, why don't you

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Re: Ratts vs Rooey

Ratts would know. Roo has an agenda.

Ross the boss ...good.

Ratts.....bad.

Not hard to work out who is being more truthful.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Training standards are much better this year.

It's a bloody shame they don't award silverware for good training standards.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Wed 19 Jul 2023 8:57pm Training standards are much better this year.

It's a bloody shame they don't award silverware for good training standards.
Spot on
Brett and his dad jokes and “get on the beers” preseason are over
Ross time no interest in looking back at Ratten/Richo days now

“Yeah….nah””
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Ratts vs Roo? Hmmm, not sure that’s a fight he wants to pick.

What a dud 👍

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Wed 19 Jul 2023 11:17pm Ratts vs Roo? Hmmm, not sure that’s a fight he wants to pick.

What a dud 👍
What did Roo actually say?

“Yeah….nah””
Killa
Club Player

The suspicion (and probably more than that) was that Board members were subjected to opinion of some Club legends - who had the relationships they had with Lyon

It was no surprise that Lyon was at the home of the Club President in quick time

The suspicion was that Riewoldt was the central figure

Bear in mind that certain line Coaches remained from Rattan’s time and that the approach to Hayes was when Rattan was Coach

There is some nonsense being peddled re Rattan and culture at the Club during his tenure

What he did do was challenge the youth on our List to displace our experienced players and to forge their own history

Hence Coffield and Clark were automatic selections and then Winghager, Owens and Wanganeen-Milera were given opportunity

Steele was challenged to move past a tagging role

Yes, given his life experiences he recognised where football stood

That is not to say he did not drive performance to expectation - including game plan where the levels of analytical support was the driver of the expectation

One thing he did subscribe to was that to be a successful Coach you needed the cattle (pointing to Clarkson at Hawthorn and the players he had)

His opinion of the List and the rating of the List (and the work needed to be done) was not disagreed by the Board

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

From what’s been reported in the past, I reckon Jason Blake was the main driver behind getting Lyon back to St Kilda.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Pragmatism v cynicism v opportunism v ego.
Football is the winner. Not?

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Those who have been attending training sessions have been noting the difference between this year and last year. That's basically all the info we have that can be verified on this forum. Everything else is behind closed doors.

So, for everything else, I will now speculate with no knowledge of the inner workings of the club.

My own guess is that the man at the centre is Corey Enright, not Nick Riewoldt. Enright came from a highly successful program at Geelong at a time when Ross Lyon's Saints were their number one threat.

Now....Enright was in the perfect position to make comparisons between Geelong's program when he played and the program under Brett Ratten when he was Ratten's assistant. The review involved interviewing every person at the club and I'm sure Enright put forward exactly what he thought, not with an agenda in mind, but purely from an analytical perspective. It would have been the most revealing and dependable information garnished under the review.

Enright stayed and is now Ross Lyon's number 2. In 2022 Corey Enright was the smartest guy in the coaching box

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Didn’t a few players at the beginning of the year imply that the football program under RTB was more focused for lack of a better word?

Anyway, I don’t think Roo has covered himself in any glory with those comments. Let sleeping dogs lie for god’s sake.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Killa wrote: Thu 20 Jul 2023 12:42am The suspicion (and probably more than that) was that Board members were subjected to opinion of some Club legends - who had the relationships they had with Lyon

It was no surprise that Lyon was at the home of the Club President in quick time

The suspicion was that Riewoldt was the central figure

Bear in mind that certain line Coaches remained from Rattan’s time and that the approach to Hayes was when Rattan was Coach

There is some nonsense being peddled re Rattan and culture at the Club during his tenure

What he did do was challenge the youth on our List to displace our experienced players and to forge their own history

Hence Coffield and Clark were automatic selections and then Winghager, Owens and Wanganeen-Milera were given opportunity

Steele was challenged to move past a tagging role

Yes, given his life experiences he recognised where football stood

That is not to say he did not drive performance to expectation - including game plan where the levels of analytical support was the driver of the expectation

One thing he did subscribe to was that to be a successful Coach you needed the cattle (pointing to Clarkson at Hawthorn and the players he had)

His opinion of the List and the rating of the List (and the work needed to be done) was not disagreed by the Board

Well said.

Anyway Ratts recons we are finals bound .

From the age.

"The coach also made some pointed comments about the Saints, who sit sixth on the ladder but have lost four of their past five matches.

“They have added to their list with [Mattaes] Phillipou through the draft, so they have got even stronger. We have got our work cut out. They are finals bound,” Ratten said.

“Their expectation has always been to play finals and they should with that list.”

I would think that Ratts has a better appreciation of the quality of our list than some of the knockers on this forum.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Thu 20 Jul 2023 1:02am From what’s been reported in the past, I reckon Jason Blake was the main driver behind getting Lyon back to St Kilda.
Spot on, with a little input from Dal..

Sanctorum
Club Player

saynta wrote: Thu 20 Jul 2023 11:41am
SaintPav wrote: Thu 20 Jul 2023 1:02am From what’s been reported in the past, I reckon Jason Blake was the main driver behind getting Lyon back to St Kilda.
Spot on, with a little input from Dal..
Yes, from what I heard Jason Blake was the main protagonist, on behalf of the past players, to promote Lyon's credentials to the Board and there's little doubt that combined with findings from the review this led to Ratten's demise and Lyon's appointment.

There were also a couple of other things. It was well known that Lyon attended anniversaries of the 2009 and 2010 GFs with the players and it was always the case that they respected (maybe not by Luke Ball!) his coaching methods.

It's also very likely that Geoff Walsh played a leading role in this saga, his brutal quote that St Kilda was largely regarded as "irrelevant" in the comp was devastating!

That was a massive wake up call to the board as well as everyone else in the club, including the players, that somethiing drastic had to be done to turn things around.

It was probably a bit indiscreet of Nick to speak out about training standards under Ratten. But 'in the knows' who regularly attend training sessions observing first hand that training standards this year have vastly improved compared to the Ratten era, plus Callum Wilkie early in the season alluding to the positive changes to the atmosphere in the rooms since Lyon's appointment, all suggest that Roo was correct.

Lyon has always stated that he is not expecting that the team will achieve a lot of success in his first year, that he's more interested in how the team plays rather than results.

That may not impress a lot of Lyon's detractors, but it certainly is a most reasonable and rational philosophy considering the quality of the list, and for me that is fine and therefore remain very confident that the team is on the right pathway to achieve considerable success in the foreseeable future.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

So we've got a grudge match .

The Bum v The Cad !

In red white and black from 73
saynta
Saintsational Legend

mr six o'clock wrote: Thu 20 Jul 2023 12:42pm So we've got a grudge match .

The Bum v The Cad !
:wink: You got that half right. 8-)

Killa
Club Player

In regard what players have said to media outlets, well they would say that wouldn’t they?

Are they going to say “Business as usual so nothing has changed”?

A new regime is always endorsed

Otherwise, on your bike

There is windy rhetoric

Then there is fact

When we had a reasonably fit and available List in 2022 we were overrunning sides late - including Geelong when we beat them

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

By association, the previous head of football, S. Lethlean, may not have enjoyed the collateral swipe at him.
I wonder if Ross forgot who was in the room when canning the previous regime.
This is likely to simmer. Simon might be an unfortunate enemy to make. After all he is the CEO and well connected; what has Ross done for us lately.
I notice Ross went to the trouble of dropping Gillon McLoughlin's name at the latest presser, which seemed curious.

Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

Intemperate remarks from Riewoldt, especially in the run up to the North game, though it annoys me that the media has made it all about Ratten when clearly Riewoldt was talking about the club in general way back to Scott Watters.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Waltzing St Kilda wrote: Thu 20 Jul 2023 5:03pm Intemperate remarks from Riewoldt, especially in the run up to the North game, though it annoys me that the media has made it all about Ratten when clearly Riewoldt was talking about the club in general way back to Scott Watters.
?? I know he wasn’t the senior coach or the director of football or the development coach, but surely, the captain has to be one of the most influential people at the club when it comes to setting standards.

Was Riewoldt ever voted best clubman? How many first or second year players lived with him and his wife?

How many players did Roo take under his wing? How many did he personally invest his time and energy into?

The following is an example of how a ‘team man’ has had a huge influence on several players at St Kilda

Four stories, one team man: How Wood has become the Saints' ultimate professional
You need to login to read the following and have a Saints Pass. I think if you’ve ever bought tickets or a membership through ticketmaster you should have an account

https://www.saints.com.au/news/1317328/ ... ofessional

viewtopic.php?p=2009592#p2009592

nostalgicsaint
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Thu 20 Jul 2023 11:32pm
Waltzing St Kilda wrote: Thu 20 Jul 2023 5:03pm Intemperate remarks from Riewoldt, especially in the run up to the North game, though it annoys me that the media has made it all about Ratten when clearly Riewoldt was talking about the club in general way back to Scott Watters.
?? I know he wasn’t the senior coach or the director of football or the development coach, but surely, the captain has to be one of the most influential people at the club when it comes to setting standards.

Was Riewoldt ever voted best clubman? How many first or second year players lived with him and his wife?

How many players did Roo take under his wing? How many did he personally invest his time and energy into?

The following is an example of how a ‘team man’ has had a huge influence on several players at St Kilda

Four stories, one team man: How Wood has become the Saints' ultimate professional
You need to login to read the following and have a Saints Pass. I think if you’ve ever bought tickets or a membership through ticketmaster you should have an account

Multiple ways to lead.

Think the results of Riewoldts captaincy speaks for itself. Sure no flag but strong results nonetheless

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

nostalgicsaint wrote: Fri 21 Jul 2023 12:56am
Scollop wrote: Thu 20 Jul 2023 11:32pm

Multiple ways to lead.

Think the results of Riewoldts captaincy speaks for itself. Sure no flag but strong results nonetheless
Clearly Riewoldt didn’t board enough junior players at his home to demonstrate he’s a leader
Cause that’s how you do it right ?
He could’ve put 6 up in the lounge room
What a leader 😳

“Yeah….nah””
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

When you go around criticising others for their leadership or you criticise coaches for training standards the way Riewoldt has done, then you are fair game to be criticised for your misgivings.

What did he do to improve training standards? What did he do to perhaps create a situation where BJ Goddard did not have to leave St Kilda? What did he do to save our salary cap situation?

Flapping your arms around and constantly berrating players or ...contemplating participation in an exercise to rate each of their team mates (including the young ones who hadn't reached their potential) is NOT what leadership is about.

If you want your team mates to rate you because that fuels your ego, then ok, whatever. You're a great leader

sks023
Club Player

Our longest serving Captain not rocking up to the 150 celebrations against Essendon leaves me to question his character

Look out kids, they keep it all hid
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

sks023 wrote: Fri 21 Jul 2023 7:04am Our longest serving Captain not rocking up to the 150 celebrations against Essendon leaves me to question his character
Yeah that was very odd. and correct me if I’m wrong but I don’t think he even did any media in the lead up to the game did he? not even a live cross to congratulate the club?

Very strange and tends to lend credibility to the rumours that he had to leave town in a rush and disappear completely from the face of the earth?