We need to trade some good players to get draft picks.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Saints58
Club Player

We need to trade some good players to get draft picks.

I would trade Battle we have other players who can play his role in Cordy and a few young guys like Adams who is doing well at sandy and is 198cm,and Sharman who I rate more as a forward but can go back.

Battle really struggles against the bigger taller players if gets isolated and does not have the closing speed to get back or cover a quick leader.

Also I think we should trade Gresh, Byrnes Gresh we might get 2/3 rounders for them and with SOS in list management I am sure he will work his magic to get better picks.

Would we also look to trade Paton we now have backup in that position with stocker, coffield, webster I know its a lot of players but it would really help us get up the ladder quickly especially as GC need draft point for there 4 academy boys.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Re: We need to trade some good players to get draft picks.

Battle is pretty solid in his role. Trading away competent key defenders isn't a great idea. Sharman is the same height as Battle and has nowhere near the grunt or courage. Adams is not a key defender. He's lightly built and simply doesn't have the physical strength to play man on man. Van Es has shown very little so far, so I wouldn't be counting on him to suddenly make the giant leap to CHB in our senior team. He may not even make it. Battle is also a better player than Cordy.

Gresham will walk as a free agent, so there'll be no trade there. A second round pick will likely be the compensation.

Not a single club in the comp will be offering anything for Byrnes. All clubs already have players like him on their lists, so there'd be no value in bringing him in.

Paton might get a sniff because he's competent at locking down a small forward, but realistically, it would be a pick in the 50s or 60s, if we're lucky.

We need to face reality. We don't have good players to trade away that will give us enough in return. A trade needs to be a net win, not a net loss, and with what we've got to offer, the likelihood of a net win is pretty remote.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Look at what Hawthorn got from their fire sale, it's not worth it

older saint
SS Life Member

We overrate players when it comes to trading and underrate players when it comes to performance.

Lets say we finish 7-10 gives us pick 9-12, barring FS and Academy northern players.

Gresham may leave as FA , compensation based on what he new club pays and who that is.
FA really is the only way we can bring in talented players as i don't feel anyone on our list with value we are willing to lose or want o go home.
Pick swaps with a club that needs points might be the best option and hope to get lucky ala Melb with Freo's fall from grace.

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

older saint wrote: Tue 18 Jul 2023 12:10pm We overrate players when it comes to trading and underrate players when it comes to performance.

Lets say we finish 7-10 gives us pick 9-12, barring FS and Academy northern players.

Gresham may leave as FA , compensation based on what he new club pays and who that is.
FA really is the only way we can bring in talented players as i don't feel anyone on our list with value we are willing to lose or want o go home.
Pick swaps with a club that needs points might be the best option and hope to get lucky ala Melb with Freo's fall from grace.
Thank you.. exactly

Unless we want the trade points, there is only one benefit in trading a player for pick 40 (this is what we would get for Billings). The one benefit is to accumulate our points that we can on trade to a club who really need the points and are prepared to pay overs for them

NM MacKay is no better, no worse than Howard, so why would you (personally I think Howard is better) try and get him, especially as you will be paying him overs

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
SinCitySainter
Club Player

If we want top end draft picks you need to trade out either top end players or young players with huge potential.
There is no point in trading out any of the young brigade as they are who we should be building around.
Now, if Ross decides to trade out one or more of Steele, Sinclair, Wilkie or Marshall who are likely to return a first round pick I don't know that I would be happy but it would be a sign of intent.
It would show that he is ready for a rebuild and that is the only way we are going anywhere.
We need to slash and burn the list accept a few years of real pain and try to reset entirely.
We cannot trade in the quality we need as we are not a desirable destination so the draft is the only tool we have to improve our position.

Players like Gresham, Battle and Paton won't get us anything worthwhile so no point in making those trades.